Ducks sign G Viktor Fasth

Old
03-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Also, since we're interested in this guy, isn't this right about the time that Burke should look at poaching him?
Maybe he's at his quota with already two European goalie imports in Gustavsson and Rynnäs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Unless Tarkki is looking for a one-way deal, I see no reason why the Ducks wouldn't bring him back.
Agreed. It's not impossible, as Tarkki could make a hell of a lot more in Europe than he did in the AHL last year. However, he hasn't shown enough to earn a one-way deal, and were the Ducks to sign Fasth, he might see his chances drop significantly to be awarded one in the near future. We'll have to wait and see, but it's pretty much up to him.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

So, LA have a pretty Quick goaltender. With this signing we could have very Fast(h) goalie.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Elvs

Since there's a lot of talk about his name, I thought I'd share what it actually means. The word "fast" = firm or compact, so even though it doesn't actually translate into "fast" as in something speedy, it's still a good name for a goalie

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Since there's a lot of talk about his name, I thought I'd share what it actually means. The word "fast" = firm or compact, so even though it doesn't actually translate into "fast" as in something speedy, it's still a good name for a goalie
Not as good as Michael Wall or Steve Shields.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:08 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Last year the Oilers drafted Samu Perhonen. His last names means 'butterfly' and he uses butterfly -style .

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post
Dont know about Tarkkis contract atm, but If their going to give up on Tarkki without ever giving him a proper change in the ducks as a 2nd goalie, then im pissed.

And bringing in how? Viktor Fasth
Tarkki hasn't been given up on. He hasn't put up good numbers in the AHL and in his game with us, he didn't play well. He obviously still has a lot of adjusting to do. It's not like we were expecting him to step in and be a prodigy or anything. These things take time. I expect him to be a better goalie next year, and push for backup duty then, or the following year.
PS: Tarkki is a RFA at the end of the year. He will most likely be resigned.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
It will be interesting. For Anaheim it would depend on what they do with Ellis+Taarki and to a lesser degree, JDD.
JDD is signed to a 1-way deal with us next year. I expect him to be bought out or traded.

Old
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
Tarkki hasn't been given up on. He hasn't put up good numbers in the AHL and in his game with us, he didn't play well. He obviously still has a lot of adjusting to do. It's not like we were expecting him to step in and be a prodigy or anything. These things take time. I expect him to be a better goalie next year, and push for backup duty then, or the following year.
PS: Tarkki is a RFA at the end of the year. He will most likely be resigned.
Tarkki's AHL numbers aren't bad. Yeah GAA of 24th place isn't that good. But save % of 10th place. He's 7th in total saves while only being 14th in minutes played, meaning he seems to get more work per game than others.

So I'm not sure he need a whole lot more adjusting. But a little more couldn't hurt.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:37 PM
JeffShibley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
It will be interesting. For Anaheim it would depend on what they do with Ellis+Taarki and to a lesser degree, JDD.
Is there any doubt that Ellis has played his last game as a Duck? Last year I remember people talking about Emery like they expected him to be back the next year, and I never understood what gave them that idea. I don't see any reason why someone would think Ellis will be back next year. You don't even give JDD the one way deal if you thought there was a chance you were keeping Ellis.

JeffShibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Tarkki's AHL numbers aren't bad. Yeah GAA of 24th place isn't that good. But save % of 10th place. He's 7th in total saves while only being 14th in minutes played, meaning he seems to get more work per game than others.

So I'm not sure he need a whole lot more adjusting. But a little more couldn't hurt.
Hmm my bad! I know GAA is a relatively pointless stat, since it factors in the team defense. I wasn't aware that his save % was 7th in the AHL. I still don't see it being a big possibility of him getting a one-way deal next year, but I could see him getting another year of full time AHL duty. In his games in the NHL, it seemed like he was a step behind all of the shooters. He overcommitted a lot and left a lot of net open. Hopefully by the time the preseason comes around next year, he's pushing for that backup spot. It sure would help our goaltending depth.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:10 PM
LizardKing1

Quote:
. In his games in the NHL, it seemed like he was a step behind all of the shooters.
He hasnt even played a full game in the NHL. aprox. 2 periods. I wanna see a game where he starts. Then we can comment more.

LizardKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Paul4587

He hasn't exactly justified an NHL start yet. And he won't get one with the playoffs on the line.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:57 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
JDD is signed to a 1-way deal with us next year. I expect him to be bought out or traded.
Being on a 1 way deal doesn't mean he'll be in the NHL. Yes it would be bad management but it's silly to assume we'll be playing people like JDD in the NHL because he's on a 1 way deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaroundace View Post
Is there any doubt that Ellis has played his last game as a Duck? Last year I remember people talking about Emery like they expected him to be back the next year, and I never understood what gave them that idea. I don't see any reason why someone would think Ellis will be back next year. You don't even give JDD the one way deal if you thought there was a chance you were keeping Ellis.
If Ellis was 100% I'd be fine bringing him back as back up. People like to say Ellis sucks etc, fact is he has been great for Anaheim so far in the back up role and would be better then any of the options we have atm.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:31 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
So, LA have a pretty Quick goaltender. With this signing we could have very Fast(h) goalie.
fast victories !! (victor fasth for the slow ... )

sounds good.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:35 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
fast victories !! (victor fasth for the slow ... )

sounds good.
Yeah, it would be fitting. Both teams have a goalie named Gibson, could be pretty interesting with Gibson, Fasth vs Gibson, Quick .

Old
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Yeah, it would be fitting. Both teams have a goalie named Gibson, could be pretty interesting with Gibson, Fasth vs Gibson, Quick .
How interesting could it be if that means we will loose a lot of games with them in the net

But, yeah, with rivalry like we have, that would be pretty mindblowing.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Elvs

Rumor: Viktor Fasth to Anaheim (verbal agreement reached).

Fasth and the Ducks has now reached a verbal agreement on a one way contract according to:

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...-nhl-kontrakt/

His quotes are all regarding the current SEL playoffs, so I won't bother translating. The article doesn't say anything about potential contract lenght.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

The Ducks all of a sudden have too many goalies. Hiller, JDD, Fasth, Tarkki (RFA rights), Gibson, Bobkov.

Who goes to the ECHL and who is trade bait?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:24 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 483
is fasth better than jdd or ellis?

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:28 AM
QuackAttack90

vCash: 50
Way too many goalies. IMO Hiller, Fasth and Gibson are the keepers. The rest are easily replaced

QuackAttack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Markus078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The Ducks all of a sudden have too many goalies. Hiller, JDD, Fasth, Tarkki (RFA rights), Gibson, Bobkov.

Anaheim: Hiller + Fasth
AHL: JDD (I think they will burn his yer there or buy him out), Bobkov
Junior: Gibson (can't play at AHL and can player 50+ games at junior)

Tarkki will either move back to finland or stay at the A if JDD gets bought out, traded or something else.

I'm thrilled with Fasth. If he translates his game we have potentially a top 5 goalie duo in the league. I hope his contract is for between 2 and 4 years. Jonas will face a tough competition now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
is fasth better than jdd or ellis?
Yes I guess he is. But only time will tell. It's not a sure thing but he is a great goalie and a late bloomer. Again, I'm thrilled with him!

I guess most of you know the Vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqy22sLCsXY - well, the save at around 0:30 is such a great sign. Awesome determination, he stays calm and focused.

Last edited by Markus078: 04-06-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post

First thoughts are that Tarkki wont be back as JDD got the nod over him on the callup and JDD has a 1-Way. Wonder what the terms of Fasth's deal will be, could make the difference as to where he plays. Hope he earns the back up role though, I really dont care for JDD.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:49 AM
QuackAttack90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
First thoughts are that Tarkki wont be back as JDD got the nod over him on the callup and JDD has a 1-Way. Wonder what the terms of Fasth's deal will be, could make the difference as to where he plays. Hope he earns the back up role though, I really dont care for JDD.
I'm pretty sure Fasth chose the ducks because they were the only team committed to playing him in the NHL alone. He will be our back up

QuackAttack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Paul4587

Hopefully he's a good enough backup so that Hiller can get a workload of around 55-60 games, not 72 or whatever he's going to end up playing this year.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:08 AM
JabbaJabba

Pretty weird that they would just give Fasth a one-way contract while Tarkki got a two-way.