Ducks sign G Viktor Fasth

Old
05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
I'm a little leery of these signings. Sometimes, Fasth/Bang is not the right way to go. Sometimes you gotta make some love, and ****in give her some smooches, too.
Tenacious.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:49 AM
EverybodyLovesRay

I just dont understand why would anaheim prefer fasth over tarkki, fasth is the most overrated goalie ever. But its too late anyway, Tarkki signed to KHL.

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post
I just dont understand why would anaheim prefer fasth over tarkki, fasth is the most overrated goalie ever. But its too late anyway, Tarkki signed to KHL.
Maybe because at the international level:

Tarrki: 0 WHC games, 11 EHT games (under 90.0 svs%).

Fasth: 7 WHC games (94.6 svs%, tournament MVP), 4 EHT games (95.0 svs%) and a totalt of 11 games for the national team this season (94.5 svs%).

It's not a knock on Tarkki, who probably could have earned a backup role either in Anaheim or with some other team over time. I'm only assuming that he didn't want a 2-way deal, and a good AHL season (with next to none experience from the international stage) doesn't justify getting a 1-way deal.

Fasth might be a little overrated in Europe, but he should be a fine NHL back up, which is all the Ducks need. The fact that team Sweden had Enroth (a fine NHL back up) in net against Norway the other day while Fasth will be in net against Czech Republic tonight should tell you something. Enroth played really well yesterday though, so Fasth will have some competition.

Last edited by Elvs: 05-05-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Maybe because at the international level:

Tarrki: 0 WHC games, 11 EHT games (under 90.0 svs%).

Fasth: 7 WHC games (94.6 svs%, tournament MVP), 4 EHT games (95.0 svs%) and a totalt of 11 games for the national team this season (94.5 svs%).

It's not a knock on Tarkki, who probably could have earned a backup role either in Anaheim or with some other team over time. I'm only assuming that he didn't want a 2-way deal, and a good AHL season (with next to none experience from the international stage) doesn't justify getting a 1-way deal.

Fasth might be a little overrated in Europe, but he should be a fine NHL back up, which is all the Ducks need. The fact that team Sweden had Enroth (a fine NHL back up) in net against Norway the other day while Fasth will be in net against Czech Republic tonight should tell you something. Enroth played really well yesterday though, so Fasth will have some competition.
Fasth not overrated anymore, those stats coming down hard. Ducks wasted money with this one.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Let's see how he does in Anaheim before you brush him off as useless.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Fasth not overrated anymore, those stats coming down hard. Ducks wasted money with this one.
Judging by this tournament, Jimmy Howard isn't a NHL starting caliber goaltender, Enroth not a SEL starting caliber goaltender, Vitaly Koval and Jakub Kovar are better than Cam Ward... Etc, etc...

Fasth (excluding the last month where he's seemed out of shape) is lots better than some other goalies who left Sweden and managed to become NHL backups in recent years. The Ducks have their starter, they only need Fasth to be a capable backup.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Judging by this tournament, Jimmy Howard isn't a NHL starting caliber goaltender, Enroth not a SEL starting caliber goaltender, Vitaly Koval and Jakub Kovar are better than Cam Ward... Etc, etc...

Fasth (excluding the last month where he's seemed out of shape) is lots better than some other goalies who left Sweden and managed to become NHL backups in recent years. The Ducks have their starter, they only need Fasth to be a capable backup.
I don't want and think that Hiller gets 70 starts so Fasth gets about around 20 starts...there is lot of points in play and I'm worried to put a goalie in that position with 0 experience in NHL game and smaller rinks. Hopefully he delivers but I'm worried cause the adjustment period for euro goalies usually takes at least half season.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:

He sucked in last year's tournament as well. Especially in the final.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Against:

...Austria: 23 shots, 23 saves
...USA: 32 shots, 30 saves
...France: 29 shots, 29 saves
...Switzerland: 31 shots, 31 saves
...Germany (QF): 37 shots, 35 saves
...Czech Republic (SF): 37 shots, 35 saves

Surely, I don't remember what the goals he let in looked like, but I would hardly think all of them were blunders from Fasth. He gave his team a chance to win in every game, even though Sweden would let the opposition (even the not so good nations) shoot way too much.

He had a tough final after those games (six goals allowed on 32 shots), but if the goals were all on him he would have been pulled in favor for Erik Ersberg who made a quite stellar performance against Canada just prior to the elimination rounds.

He (and the rest of the team) were flat against Russia the other day, and I'm not saying that Fasth is a sure thing to have success in the NHL. Quite frankly, the way he's been playing the last couple of months, I have some doubts. I'm just saying that he didn't "suck" in last years tournament, even though the final is what matters most.

Last edited by Elvs: 05-12-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old
05-12-2012, 11:59 AM
caley

While perusing this thread, I noticed you guys talking about Bang. He has since signed a contract with Nashville.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
You seem bitter about Fasth being signed as our backup for some reason.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:44 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
You seem bitter about Fasth being signed as our backup for some reason.
Taking a Swedish goalie instead of Finnish one. It annoys me aswell especially when Tarkki didn't get a real shot to prove himself. Now they are just giving Fasth the backup spot. Fasth seems to be good during regular season but sometimes in bigger games he just melts. Maybe Fasth should only play regular season games and let Hiller play in the playoffs.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Taking a Swedish goalie instead of Finnish one. It annoys me aswell especially when Tarkki didn't get a real shot to prove himself. Now they are just giving Fasth the backup spot. Fasth seems to be good during regular season but sometimes in bigger games he just melts. Maybe Fasth should only play regular season games and let Hiller play in the playoffs.
Tarkki looked awful in his only NHL game. Sure it was only one game but he didn't exactly light the AHL on fire either. He was good but not among the top in the AHL. And yeah, Fasth will only be playing regular season games unless Hiller is injured.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:54 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

What's wrong with goalie depth? Tarkki seemed like he still needed time to adjust to N.A and improve rebound control. Fasth wont be the backup if he's terrible, but Anaheim has some luck with european goalies(Bryz-drafted, signed Hiller, signed Gerber)

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Actually, no. Back up spot is given to JDD

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Really, JDD deserves some credit. He went 3-1 getting very little time, and only had one game that could be fairly considered poor and that was more on the defense than on him. I don't want him starting but he was effective in the role he was given. He was much better than Tarkki, at any rate.

But he isn't the backup, the Ducks will just have 3 guys with 1 way contracts. If JDD goes through waivers it's likely he stays a Duck. And Fasth will be immune to waivers as he will be in his first NHL season. The only problem is wasted $$

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Markus078

Tarkki is gone

Well, he signed a 2y deal in KHL http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/05/...l-deal/110769/

good for him - I rate Fasth over him!

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Finnpin

Not impressed by Fasth in the Worlds.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Elvs

No one should be, although Sweden has had horrible defense all tournament. In the quarter final it was really bad... Hedman should have been benched earlier, he looked like a Swedish tier 3-league player out there.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:29 AM
duxfan8

Funny how people are defending Tarkki so much. He was, and will be, nothing special. Number 3 goalie at best. He was small, and his reflexes were pretty slow. He played well down the stretch in SYR, but that doesn't mean much, if anything. I feel like because of all the Finnish love we have for the Ducks that he was blown a little out of proportion. JDD is another story, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign Fasth and buyout JDD

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:06 AM
pesko

Fasth definitely is a better bet right now than Tarkki. He didn't shine at the WC, but the Swedish defense was atrocious and really let him down. He's got plenty of upsides and is a potential second starter with only few downsides, I'm interested to see how he performs for the Ducks.

pesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
1 million 1 year contract. Official

@AnaheimDucks #NHLDucks sign Swedish goalie Viktor Fasth to one-year contract. http://bit. ly/KXVfA3

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Exit Dose

Hope Fasth is the back up we need. I'd hate to end up with someone in the state that Tarkki was in.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:52 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Hope Fasth is the back up we need. I'd hate to end up with someone in the state that Tarkki was in.
Agreed. According to the Ducks he's the first Swedish goaltender to win goalie of the year twice in a row since Lundqvist. Gotta count for something.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:54 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

1-way contract right?

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote