HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Ducks sign G Viktor Fasth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
  #101
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,203
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
1-way contract right?
I would assume so.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:27 PM
  #102
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,122
vCash: 500
yes, one way.

a bit surprised here. we will spend over 2 M on Fasth, Sexton and JDD?

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
  #103
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,034
vCash: 500
Wtf? 1 million? I was expecting like 700k for first ever NHL contract. So much for saving money with ellis leaving. We are actually paying more then with Ellis since JDD is still under contract.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:41 PM
  #104
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Wtf? 1 million? I was expecting like 700k for first ever NHL contract. So much for saving money with ellis leaving. We are actually paying more then with Ellis since JDD is still under contract.
JDD is probably getting moved or bought out. It's time for Bobkov to go pro.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:00 PM
  #105
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
JDD is probably getting moved or bought out. It's time for Bobkov to go pro.
Unless somebody else is signed, we're still going to need JDD in the AHL. We only have Hiller, Fasth, Bobkov and JDD under contract for next season.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:04 PM
  #106
EverybodyLovesRay
Registered User
 
EverybodyLovesRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
bad bad bad deal. he isnt the answer for good back-up goalie.

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
  #107
Jesus Teemu
Registered User
 
Jesus Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,430
vCash: 50
I know nothing about this guy. Some people are saying he's not that good, but I've heard the opposite elsewhere. Is he good enough to back up Jonas?

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:24 PM
  #108
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post
bad bad bad deal. he isnt the answer for good back-up goalie.
What exactly defines a 'good back up goalie'? Someone like Rask or Schneider? That's the only way you can rule out Fasth from not being 'the answer'.

We're paying him $1 mil, that's less than a below average back up makes, for $700 k another team would have signed him. Anaheim wasn't the only team interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I know nothing about this guy. Some people are saying he's not that good, but I've heard the opposite elsewhere. Is he good enough to back up Jonas?
The best swedish goaltender in Europe the last two seasons. Wasn't anything special in this years WC though, but still good enough to earn the #1 job over Jhonas Enroth, the Sabres backup. I'm guessin Fasth will play 20-25 games next season, with a svs% slightly below or slightly above 91.0%.


Last edited by Elvs: 05-21-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:25 PM
  #109
EverybodyLovesRay
Registered User
 
EverybodyLovesRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Is he good enough to back up Jonas?
He really isnt. Only if Hiller plays 80 games next season.

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:30 PM
  #110
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,203
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post
He really isnt. Only if Hiller plays 80 games next season.
Yes the Swedish Elite League's top goalie two year's running isn't good enough to back Hiller up for more than two games. Someone get us a clone of Prime Domink Hasek, nothing else will do.


DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:35 PM
  #111
Duckr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
I'm excited about this. Hopefully he's over here for training camp and preseason so we can gauge him a bit better.

Duckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:36 PM
  #112
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Is he good enough to back up Jonas?
Well, we're about to find out. Typical of the attempts to catch lightning in a bottle that Bob is famous for.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:38 PM
  #113
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Well, we're about to find out. Typical of the attempts to catch lightning in a bottle that Bob is famous for.
In his defense, Jonas was found in this manner, too.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:51 PM
  #114
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
In his defense, Jonas was found in this manner, too.
Agreed. I'm more annoyed with him giving guaranteed contracts to JDD, Sexton, and Gordon and then finds himself in the position of realizing they aren't good enough and now has wasted money (albeit minimal money) on them. He luckily got Vancouver to take Gordon. Let's see how the Sexton and JDD contracts work out.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:11 PM
  #115
FirstSwitch
Registered User
 
FirstSwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
I really looking forward to see what Fasth can accomplish in the NHL, he was amazing when he brought up Vaxjo to the highest leauge in Sweden and was a very solid goalie the first year with AIK, and he was good this year aswell but I guess the pressure when up a bit after the first year.
Nonetheless he has a extreme winner mortality and works very hard with his routine.

FirstSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
  #116
Sif
Registered User
 
Sif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Agreed. According to the Ducks he's the first Swedish goaltender to win goalie of the year twice in a row since Lundqvist. Gotta count for something.
To be fair. Aside from the fact that some/most SEL awards are absolute jokes, that has more to do with the fact that most goalies leave after their breakout season. Fasth demanded a one-way contract if he was to head over the Atlantic and no one deemed he was worth that at the time.

The award has only been handed out since 01/02 and he did in no way deserve the win this year with the way Frederik Andersen of Frölunda was playing. Or Joacim Eriksson of Skellefteå for that matter.

He's no doubt still a good goalie. I'd say cautiously optimistic is a fairly good stance to take.

Sif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:36 PM
  #117
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
ya thats what i'm wondering lol.. he has good AHL stats which shoudl count for something
If AHL stats mattered, Jason Labarbara would be a top three goalie in the NHL. Tarkki looked awful in his appearances. Looked completely out of place. Can almost guarantee he'll never be an NHL goalie.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:04 PM
  #118
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,203
vCash: 69
http://video.ducks.nhl.com/videocent...178632&lang=en

if anyone knows how to embed this...feel free to help

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
  #119
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Agreed. I'm more annoyed with him giving guaranteed contracts to JDD, Sexton, and Gordon and then finds himself in the position of realizing they aren't good enough and now has wasted money (albeit minimal money) on them. He luckily got Vancouver to take Gordon. Let's see how the Sexton and JDD contracts work out.
If we didn't have budget problems, I don't think this would be that noticeable. I see it as a necessary evil of managing a team. There's just no way to guarantee how a player is going to pan out over the length of their contract. Every team is going to lose money on bad contracts.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:18 PM
  #120
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander
 
Lord Flashheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bananaland crapital
Country: Croatia
Posts: 3,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
http://video.ducks.nhl.com/videocent...178632&lang=en

if anyone knows how to embed this...feel free to help
Page 3, post #73.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
  #121
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
If we didn't have budget problems, I don't think this would be that noticeable. I see it as a necessary evil of managing a team. There's just no way to guarantee how a player is going to pan out over the length of their contract. Every team is going to lose money on bad contracts.
I hear ya but in the case of the three I mentioned I think they all were signed to the same kind of deal. Two years with the first year being two-way and the second year guaranteed. Why are we guaranteeing the second year for guys who haven't proven worthy of guaranteeing the first year? It just seems to go with Bob's approach of signing washed up, older, once high draft picks. The "gee, I hope I get lucky" approach.

I think Hiller, Tarkki, and Fasth are a bit different because some European pro goaltenders do seem to develop to NHL caliber players as they age. I have high hopes for Fasth but it does follow a trend Bob has for hoping to strike it rich on a long shot. Let's hope he sees more in Fasth than he did in JDD.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:51 PM
  #122
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,203
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
Page 3, post #73.
That works.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:51 PM
  #123
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I hear ya but in the case of the three I mentioned I think they all were signed to the same kind of deal. Two years with the first year being two-way and the second year guaranteed. Why are we guaranteeing the second year for guys who haven't proven worthy of guaranteeing the first year? It just seems to go with Bob's approach of signing washed up, older, once high draft picks. The "gee, I hope I get lucky" approach.
There's some give and take with contracts. JDD and Sexton both had decent stints in the NHL at the time of their contracts, so a hybrid of a minor league deal and a major one was probably necessary to get them to sign. I don't think it's a matter of 'getting lucky', or at least not more than any other contract.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:35 PM
  #124
Gliff
Nick Bonino
 
Gliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post
bad bad bad deal. he isnt the answer for good back-up goalie.
Ya we should go trade our 1st rounder for a backup. It worked out well for you guys

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:13 PM
  #125
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
There's some give and take with contracts. JDD and Sexton both had decent stints in the NHL at the time of their contracts, so a hybrid of a minor league deal and a major one was probably necessary to get them to sign. I don't think it's a matter of 'getting lucky', or at least not more than any other contract.
From what I remember, it had a lot more to do with making sure other teams didn't claim them off waivers because they had another year and a one-way to boot. Made a ton of sense with JDD, not really so much with Sexton.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.