HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Ducks sign G Viktor Fasth

Old
05-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
1M...hmmm...I really do hope Fasth becomes a good backup goalie for us but my hopes have too many question marks and ifs and buts.

He certainly needs some time in AHL...if we even have club there next season

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:26 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
1M...hmmm...I really do hope Fasth becomes a good backup goalie for us but my hopes have too many question marks and ifs and buts.

He certainly needs some time in AHL...if we even have club there next season
We will have an AHL affiliate next year. Eric Stephens says that it's probably Norfolk.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:53 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
If AHL stats mattered, Jason Labarbara would be a top three goalie in the NHL. Tarkki looked awful in his appearances. Looked completely out of place. Can almost guarantee he'll never be an NHL goalie.
Dunno about what ''appearances'' you are talking about. That one 40 minute game? lol

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
We will have an AHL affiliate next year. Eric Stephens says that it's probably Norfolk.
He is on a one way contract, which means he have to clear wavers in order to go to the AHL. And that means he could be probably picked up.

JDD is on the same situation. I think him passing the waivers is more likely, but the problem with him is that he plays more or less ok in the NHL, and like a crap in AHL.

We are in pretty uncomfortable situation with goalies imo. Maybe not the worst in the league, but pretty bad.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
He is on a one way contract, which means he have to clear wavers in order to go to the AHL.
Common misunderstanding. One-way/two-way only refers to the amount of money the player makes between the two leagues and has no impact on waiver-eligibility whatsoever. There are different rules that decide whether a player has to clear waivers, which take into consideration age, NHL games played, etc...

That said, for a budget team like the Ducks, there's no way we're paying him $1M to play with our AHL affiliate. Unless he'll absolutely bomb in camp, he'll be up here. And even if he will, he could probably be loaned to a Euro team taking a good chunk (more than half) of the money this deal gives him.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:54 AM
Elvs

Maybe the thing with JDD was that Murray wanted to build a winning culture down in Syracuse, thinking that having a 1-way deal on a very good AHL goalie was worth it. And if things went great, he would have been backup with the big club.

Unfortunately, JDD was no good in the AHL last year, but given his NHL resume, he should be able to do well there. I have no problem sending him down with that contract if he can help build a winning AHL team. As for Sexton though, Murray should have let him walk if he couldn't sign him on a 2-way deal.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
As for Sexton though, Murray should have let him walk if he couldn't sign him on a 2-way deal.
I really don't know what Murray saw in Sexton to give him that one way deal. He had a hot streak where he scored some very lucky goals but after 20 or so games it was painfully obvious he lacked the size, vision and shooting ability to ever be an everyday NHLer.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Unless he'll absolutely bomb in camp, he'll be up here. And even if he will, he could probably be loaned to a Euro team taking a good chunk (more than half) of the money this deal gives him.
Only KHL teams could pay 500k+ for a goalie.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:10 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

1 year 1 million is about market for a free agent like this.

Tarkki signed for 1 year 1.325 million. Although it was two-way, and that includes 400k in bonuses which I doubt he got. Looks like Tarkki was an ELC.

I think people are a little harsh on Tarkki. Yes he looked bad, but it was his first and only NHL game. In Syracuse he started out bad but got much better as he adjusted.

Judging by the contracts I'd put similar expectations for both guys. Although Tarkki was a little younger by goalie standards and might have had room to grow while Fasth is probably about as good as he'll be after the initial adjustment.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Weren`t that Swiss team paying Huet a lot more than 0,5?

Old
05-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure there are teams in Switzerland that could pay that for a guy with Fasth's resumee, and I don't think some Swedish clubs are that far behind, honestly. $500,000 aren't quite €500,000 (at least the last time I checked, which admittedly is quite a while ago...), and two players from DEL signed with Malmö last year for a healthy part of that amount, and they weren't exactly star signings coming from Germany. But mostly, I was indeed thinking about KHL teams.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Don't know about the numbers but Huet has "name" and about 300 NHL games under his belt. Fasth just had about 2 strong seasons in Swedish elite league. Imho Fasth couldn't land 500k+ deal in Switzerland atm.

Goalies just don't get paid as well as forwards/defenders in Europe. Plus not knowing but I'll dare to say not a single goalie makes 500k in Elitserien (SEL)?

But like everybody knows KHL is paying good (in this side of planet) and some teams with goaltending problems don't think about wallet when they want to fill that problem hole.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Don't know about the numbers but Huet has "name" and about 300 NHL games under his belt. Fasth just had about 2 strong seasons in Swedish elite league. Imho Fasth couldn't land 500k+ deal in Switzerland atm.

Goalies just don't get paid as well as forwards/defenders in Europe. Plus not knowing but I'll dare to say not a single goalie makes 500k in Elitserien (SEL)?

But like everybody knows KHL is paying good (in this side of planet) and some teams with goaltending problems don't think about wallet when they want to fill that problem hole.
I dont believe he`ll come over throughout season anyway, but if he did, i`d leave a small chance he lands somewhere in Swiss or MAYBE Sweden. But ofcourse KHL is the obvious leader in this debate. They can pay that amount of money even to back ups.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:13 PM
ares89

I think they paid just around 200k and the rest was paid by chicaco

ares89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

How despondent is this fan base that people are already trying to figure out how to dump a just signed backup goalie they've never seen play in an NHL game to a European league......

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:23 AM
e91a

Fasth is a good goalie without doubt i'd say. He has been my goalie (well, my team's) for the last 2 years and he been getting some **** lately.

About the world-cup, he was not that bad. They d-men where ****, he didn't get enough help. One of the reasons Fasth been so good in AIK is that we been playing a good defense game, especially the first year. Last season we didn't play as defense as we did first year and that's why people without knowing anything about the game says "he's been worse this year" etc etc.

If you can help him in the defense i think you might have a starter in Fasth. He's that good i would say. But unless, like all goalies without a decent defense he will look like a bad goalie.

e91a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:29 AM
e91a

He had about 33,000 $ in AIK a month, so around 400k a year.

And there is playing in SEL that has more then 500k a year, no doubt. I think the best paid is about 400.000 SEK each month, that is around 640k $ a year.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Let`s hope our defense will help him more than Swedish national team. which i doubt...

Old
05-30-2012, 05:12 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91a View Post
He had about 33,000 $ in AIK a month, so around 400k a year.

And there is playing in SEL that has more then 500k a year, no doubt. I think the best paid is about 400.000 SEK each month, that is around 640k $ a year.
A goalie? Who?

Old
05-30-2012, 06:12 AM
e91a

Quote:
A goalie? Who?
Yea i noticed the "goalie" thing after, but still there is players as i wrote that has more. Tho i somehow went with "playing" instead of "players" so, not your fault.

Since Fasth was up in around 400k$ and he was not the best paid goalie i believe we are close to or over 500k$.

Gerber demands ALOT at least when he was offered to AIK last year, so i believe he could be around 500k$. Also we got Norrerna who is not that cheap, i bet Gerber and Norrena is around 300.000 SEK each month and that would leave close to 480k $.

EDIT: Hannu Toivonen in Malmö was said making a 350.000 SEK/month, so he was over 500k$ a year.

So to summarize, i believe last season we had Norrena, Gerber and Toivonen who made just below or over 500k$.

Last edited by e91a: 05-30-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91a View Post
Fasth is a good goalie without doubt i'd say. He has been my goalie (well, my team's) for the last 2 years and he been getting some **** lately.

About the world-cup, he was not that bad. They d-men where ****, he didn't get enough help. One of the reasons Fasth been so good in AIK is that we been playing a good defense game, especially the first year. Last season we didn't play as defense as we did first year and that's why people without knowing anything about the game says "he's been worse this year" etc etc.

If you can help him in the defense i think you might have a starter in Fasth. He's that good i would say. But unless, like all goalies without a decent defense he will look like a bad goalie.
I dunno. I definitely got the impression Fasth was having a tough period during the WC. He didn't impress me at all. Still, I do agree with you regarding the D. It was awful. For the names Sweden had on their roster, you would expect a more consistent defensive effort, but they were a mess in their own end.

It really doesn't matter to me though. It's a short tournament. There are a lot of peaks and valleys in a short tournament. Look at Sbisa. He had a pretty awful tournament. Before that, however, he had a pretty good season in Anaheim. I think those 80 games mean a lot more than the 5 or 6 he played in the World Championship. Fasth hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do to Anaheim fans yet, but he's going to get that opportunity, and that's what I'm going to judge him by.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I dunno. I definitely got the impression Fasth was having a tough period during the WC. He didn't impress me at all. Still, I do agree with you regarding the D. It was awful. For the names Sweden had on their roster, you would expect a more consistent defensive effort, but they were a mess in their own end.

It really doesn't matter to me though. It's a short tournament. There are a lot of peaks and valleys in a short tournament. Look at Sbisa. He had a pretty awful tournament. Before that, however, he had a pretty good season in Anaheim. I think those 80 games mean a lot more than the 5 or 6 he played in the World Championship. Fasth hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do to Anaheim fans yet, but he's going to get that opportunity, and that's what I'm going to judge him by.
True words.

But i still carry that 5% scepticism on him, because we throwed pretty good contract right away. Heres for the hope he shows he`s worth every penny

Old
05-31-2012, 02:38 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Fasth hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do to Anaheim fans yet, but he's going to get that opportunity, and that's what I'm going to judge him by.
Like Tarkki with his 1 game and that was enough for some fans here to judge he isn't NHL caliber.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:55 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Like Tarkki with his 1 game and that was enough for some fans here to judge he isn't NHL caliber.
That's definitely unfair to him too, and for what it's worth I'm not one of those fans. For whatever reason, Tarkki just wasn't in Anaheim's plans moving ahead. I don't really have any kind of opinion on him as a player, because I have all of 40 minutes to base it off.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:57 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
True words.

But i still carry that 5% scepticism on him, because we throwed pretty good contract right away. Heres for the hope he shows he`s worth every penny
That's fair. With some contracts there can come a certain level of expectation for what kind of player you're getting.