HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Would you be ok with a full-rebuild if it happened?

View Poll Results: If Fletcher started rebuilding, would you approve?
Yes - Build a core our group of young players. I can wait for a contender. 14 30.43%
No - That would be too painful, and you don't have to rebuild to get an elite team. 32 69.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Would you be ok with a full-rebuild if it happened?

Not so much asking whether we should to a rebuilding (i.e. trading away Koivu, Heatley, Backstrom, Cullen, etc. for young players and picks).

But, rather, asking if Fletcher did it this off-season, would you be ok with waiting 3 ears to get some results?

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 03-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.
nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Dr Jan Itor

No. I fully believe that if we had some semblance of health this year, we would've been a playoff team. Add to what we have and keep building, but do not tear it down.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Up7Yours

vCash: 50
Mmaybe. I feel like we're already halfway there with the current prospects turning pro next year. Koivu is not THAT old so he could stay, wouldn't miss the others if they were traded.

Up7Yours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
MrGoneWild

No need to tear it down, if all players can avoid being injured we can be a playoff team, with some good players coming also for next season like Granlund, Brodin and more our depth will be much better also.

A lottery pick this season then go for playoffs next season.

MrGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well I don't think anyone on this team is worth keeping aside from Koivu, so I wouldn't care. But, I don't think we'll see it happen, so it doesn't matter.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
mnwildgophers

I voted no. We don't need to trade away all of our "vets" for young players and prospects because they will not be able to get enough for those pieces, and the pieces that we'd be trading away (Heatley, Koivu, etc) aren't guranteed to be as good as those guys. A re-building project is talking 4-5 years in the future. I believe we'll have enough guys ready to contribute next year, and the year after that is the year we'll be very very good.

At the end of this year, we're looking at least another top 10 pick, if not higher. We'll see where we fall, but it's possible we sneak into the top 5. If that happens, we're talking a huge talent early in this draft (not to mention all of our other prospects doing well) that our time is going to be in the next few years, not 4-5 years down the road if we trade away all of the good player vets.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:08 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Absolutely not.

The value that we'd be able to get out of Koivu, Heatley, Backstrom, and any other "veteran" we could move is almost nothing insofar as building for the future is concerned. If we did something like that, we wouldn't be "waiting 3 years to get some results," we'd be "waiting 7-8 years to get some results." With what we're down to in terms of personnel, if we sell of much more, we'll have to wait until Granlund is Koivu's current age to realistically have a shot at advancing past the first round of the playoffs.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:09 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
I'm about as ok with starting a rebuild as I am being kicked in the crotch. Actually, that's probably what it would feel like.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Here we go again...

No, not at all. We already have a bright future and I don't see why they should trade most players for prospects. Really.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Aren't we pretty much already at a rebuild anyway?

F: Granlund, Zucker, Phillips, Coyle, Larssen, Bulmer, Lucia
D: Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, Seeler, Cuma, Kampfer
G: Hackett, Kuemper, Gustavsson

I mean, add a couple more prospects and it's done.

Rebuild to me means you have lots of valuable vets on your roster than would be traded off for picks and prospects. We have nothing of value aside from Koivu and Heatley, and both have NTC's.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
mnwildgophers

Rebuild also implies to me too that the prospect pool is generally thin while ours is decently stocked, I just would say we don't necessarily have high top-end talent besides Granlund. He's our best hope for a 1st liner at this point.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Rebuild to me means you have lots of valuable vets on your roster than would be traded off for picks and prospects. We have nothing of value aside from Koivu and Heatley, and both have NTC's.
Exactly, we're at a point where we have nothing left of sufficient value that we can move in a positive or at least lateral direction. Heatley has little value (two years at a prohibitive salary), Backstrom likely has none (no one would trade value for an inconsistent $6MM goalie), Koivu's contract is far too hard to move. We have some mid-20s guys with some value like Clutterbuck, but we'll be needing to lean on them as the vets when the rebuild kids come around.

Quite literally, we're at the point where dumping additional vets for kids would be harmful to any rebuild.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Hell no. This season was painful enough. I'm absolutely sick of the attitude that permeates this franchise. Yes, there's a lot of help and talent in our future. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't also try and win right the **** now. We've seen enough ****ing quitting out of this bunch for a lifetime.

Every season counts the same.

Alternatively, to put it in financial (rather than emotional) terms, the team's going to lose massive amounts of money next year. Even if they sign Parise and Weber, Granlund comes in and wins the Calder unanimously, and they win the division, they will very likely lose money (they might break even with a deep playoff run). That's because the season ticket renewal rate will almost certainly be dramatically worse. And they sure as hell aren't going to be getting any new ones. At this point, it will take two or three years of consistent winning to make the team profitable again, because revenue from season ticket sales lags slightly behind actual success on the ice.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Up7Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

This. Half of the roster from this year will be replaced next year with our current prospects. Depends on what one means with a rebuild. The team will be a lot different next season.

Up7Yours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
We have one of the youngest rosters in the NHL already. If this isn't a rebuild, then I don't know what is. Why would we restart it?

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
We have one of the youngest rosters in the NHL already. If this isn't a rebuild, then I don't know what is. Why would we restart it?
The 5 youngest NHL teams:

Minnesota - 26.7 years
Nashville - 26.6 years
LA - 26.5 years
Toronto - 26.4 years
Colorado - 25.5 years

That's from Capgeek so I'm fairly certain it counts all current roster players so Ortmeyer, Peters, Veilleux are on it. The average age should remain approximately the same next season, then fall the season after.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I say no because if this team loses like they have been this year for the next 5 seasons there won't be any fans left. Hopefully some of our young players actually pan out and live up to the hype surrounding them next year.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

No, dear god no. Our season ended with injuries. Seriously how much better would we be if we had Koivu, Lats, and Bouch back in the line-up for a full season? We wouldn't be drafting 6th overall right now.

Continue to build for the future through the draft, but continue with the strategy now, timely trades, UFA signings and easing prospects in for the next generation.

Seriously, building a team this way is one the hardest. We had a non-competitive team, our prospect pool sucked and we needed to re-vamp everything except for our goaltending.

Re-building is just easy, trade away vets, load up on picks, blow big time, and wait until they get better.

Fletch is trying to draft well, trade away vets, make good UFA signings, while making trades that benefit the team. In two years our prospect pool rules, we have a competitive team when everyone isn't on IR, and he completely re-vamped our forwards and defense in two years. In the last few games we're shooting higher, but nothing is going in and we have no goal scorers aside from Heatley and Seto.

Last edited by ShutDownDefense: 03-05-2012 at 12:35 PM.
ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

No, because we already have pieces in place, there is no point of trying to do a full rebuild.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

We're in the middle of a full rebuild...how can we go into another already?

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
State of Hockey

I've been okay with a rebuild for three years already.

But really the failures to field a competitive team have led to much of a rebuild done already. It would be simple to complete the job, and it shouldn't take three more years if done right.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I've been okay with a rebuild for three years already.

But really the failures to field a competitive team have led to much of a rebuild done already. It would be simple to complete the job, and it shouldn't take three more years if done right.
We were in a weird position three years ago, with no promising ELC players, our best/franchise player being injured/wanting out and our 2nd and 3rd best players being in their early-mid twenties. Unless you supported trading away Koivu and Burns at the time, which doesn't make any sense, I don't know what we really did to hinder a rebuild; maybe signing Havlat, but even he underachieved. I mean, our 1st line for two straight year included Brunette & Miettinen. Talent wise, we probably overachieved as a team to even reach the #9 and #10, but I'm not going to fault anybody for that.

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 03-05-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Why blow this team up? The biggest problem we had is only 1 of our top 10 prospects was available this season. That number will be way up next season.

I see no reason why the Wild can't outbid every team in the league on both Parise and Suter. Between the (aprox.) 20 million dollars in cap space available this offseason and the (aprox) 20 million dollars available after the 2012-13 season the Wild are going to be able to put the highest bid on both without crippling their finances.

Both of these players should be able to recognize that this roster without injuries was a playoff team, and the addition of a top tier forward and defenseman joining our crop of prospects that this can be a cup contender within 3 years.

Maybe I'm too optimistic about this team's future, but this Wild team already finished their blow up and rebuild years. It's time to build to a contender.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

**** no to this.

We were essentially forced into rebuilding mode already when Flectch signed on. He's been doing a good job loading the cupboards with prospects and those players are going to literally be jumping aboard next year. Were finally going to have some god damned depth next season so injuries wont hurt us as bad as they did this year. This is no time to be pulling the rug out from under ourselves before weve even stepped foot on it.

In addition to that, what do we have to trade exactly? Zids was about the only veteran asset we had that was worth a ****, and I would say we got a pretty good return on him for how ****ing terrible he was this year.

Aside from that, what do we have in the "veteran" department? Heatley? He's just about the only guy who has been consistent in his game all year, why would we consider trading him? He seems well suited to be a veteran on this team as the young kids come up because they will need some kind of veteran forward leadership.

What else do we have to trade... oh.. Backstrom? The only way I can see us trading Backstrom is to whatever team decides to low ball next season and needs to make the cap floor like Florida did when they paid out the ass to players who did not deserve it because they needed to make floor. And by the way if we can get a decent return on him I think we should do it and free up that salary for free agents.

Beyond those two guys we don't have a veteran contingent worth crap on this team. Koivu ain't going anywhere altho some of us wish he would I bet. Foster is a free agent after this season. Veilleux I could even see us bringing back in the role that Sawdust was supposed to have this year and splitting time between him and Kassian depending on matchups.

the only other player I cna think of we could possibly trade away for some value is Clutterbuck, and I'm sure if the right deal comes along Fletcher will seriously consider it regardless. That is of course, assuming Clutterbuck doesn't hurt himself with his own temper tantrums hes suddenly decided to start throwing every game.

So in short, I dont think we CAN rebuild if we want to. We dont have anyone to sell off!

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:28 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
I see no reason why the Wild can't outbid every team in the league on both Parise and Suter. Between the (aprox.) 20 million dollars in cap space available this offseason and the (aprox) 20 million dollars available after the 2012-13 season the Wild are going to be able to put the highest bid on both without crippling their finances.
FWIW there are about 10 teams with as much or more projected cap space than the Wild. And we still have to fill out the rest of the roster. CapGeek is blocked at work so I don't have the exact numbers, but I believe Minnesota would have something like $6-10m (depending on the new salary cap) to fill 6-8 more spots if they signed Suter and Parise for a combined $16m cap hit.

Obviously they'll go after both of them. Signing one is unlikely enough. Signing both would be shocking.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote