HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you be ok with a full-rebuild if it happened?

View Poll Results: If Fletcher started rebuilding, would you approve?
Yes - Build a core our group of young players. I can wait for a contender. 14 30.43%
No - That would be too painful, and you don't have to rebuild to get an elite team. 32 69.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2012, 11:49 PM
  #51
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Theo LOVES Florida. He wanted desperately to move down there. He'll do everything possible to stay there.
Is he a UFA tho? That was my question.

He loves being a starting goaltender even more than Florida I bet.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:51 PM
  #52
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,154
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Is he a UFA tho? That was my question.

He loves being a starting goaltender even more than Florida I bet.
He signed a 2-year deal, so no.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:54 PM
  #53
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
He signed a 2-year deal, so no.
Okie dokie then. Theo off the UFA board in my head.

So, who are potential UFA goalies this year?

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:54 PM
  #54
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,154
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Okie dokie then. Theo off the UFA board in my head.

So, who are potential UFA goalies this year?
Paul Deutsch

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
  #55
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Okie dokie then. Theo off the UFA board in my head.

So, who are potential UFA goalies this year?
Capgeek list

How's Cristobal Huet sound?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
  #56
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
And yet you want to completely clean house and start over?
Well, yes, because we're basically already at that point! You can't get much lower. Might as well make the changes you need to make now, not later.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:57 PM
  #57
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Capgeek list

How's Cristobal Huet sound?
Well that list isnt that great, but I'm sure Bob Mason could find someone out of that group he could turn into a semi-elite goaltender for a year or two while we groom Hackett for the starting job.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:58 PM
  #58
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,154
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Well, yes, because we're basically already at that point! You can't get much lower. Might as well make the chances you need to make now, not later.
Did you think a rebuild was going to be quick and painless considering the roster and lack of prospects that Sir Dougie Doug left us with? And further more that Fletcher was going to be perfect?

It's a long freaking process unless you tank hard for years on end to get players who will make an immediate impact.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:04 AM
  #59
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Did you think a rebuild was going to be quick and painless considering the roster and lack of prospects that Sir Dougie Doug left us with? And further more that Fletcher was going to be perfect?

It's a long freaking process unless you tank hard for years on end to get players who will make an immediate impact.
We wouldn't be just starting to scrape bottom three years later, that's for certain. We might be starting the ascent instead. It would have been painful regardless. It didn't need to take this much time. Fletcher traded away quite a few picks and prospects early on while not capitalizing on chances to add picks and prospects. Plus, he immediately went into "win now" mode which helped keep the Wild in the worst possible position - not good enough for the playoffs, good enough to not get high draft picks. Only the disaster of this season is breaking the Wild out of that funk.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
  #60
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,154
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
We wouldn't be just starting to scrape bottom three years later, that's for certain. We might be starting the ascent instead. It would have been painful regardless. It didn't need to take this much time. Fletcher traded away quite a few picks and prospects early on while not capitalizing on chances to add picks and prospects. Plus, he immediately went into "win now" mode which helped keep the Wild in the worst possible position - not good enough for the playoffs, good enough to not get high draft picks. Only the disaster of this season is breaking the Wild out of that funk.
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps the owner hired him because of that? A new owner who wanted to start winning isn't going to hire a GM who says that the first thing we need to do is tank for a few years.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:18 AM
  #61
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps the owner hired him because of that? A new owner who wanted to start winning isn't going to hire a GM who says that the first thing we need to do is tank for a few years.
Well then the problem lies in someone that isn't going fire himself, right?

In other words, we're screwed. We have an owner that's blind to reality and doesn't let his GM do the job he needs to.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:21 AM
  #62
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs
 
UMD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Well then the problem lies in someone that isn't going fire himself, right?

In other words, we're screwed. We have an owner that's blind to reality and doesn't let his GM do the job he needs to.
Maybe CL realized he was wrong? As far as I know we don't have access to that information. Too speculative.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:26 AM
  #63
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,154
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Well then the problem lies in someone that isn't going fire himself, right?

In other words, we're screwed. We have an owner that's blind to reality and doesn't let his GM do the job he needs to.
Well we're a lot less screwed than we were 3 years ago. As ugly as it is, they're still moving in the right direction. Besides, you wanted them to tank. Well, that's what you're finally getting. You should be thrilled.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
  #64
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 500
So...were the Wild supposed to NOT sign UFA's in order to get higher draft picks, or trade most of their decent players for picks?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:32 PM
  #65
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
So...were the Wild supposed to NOT sign UFA's in order to get higher draft picks, or trade most of their decent players for picks?
I just think we should try to see about moving Backstroms last year of his albatross contract and think about not signing harding and getting someone on the UFA market for a couple million to start while we have hackett up as backup.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
  #66
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 500
What purpose would that serve if we get nothing in return?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:11 PM
  #67
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What purpose would that serve if we get nothing in return?
Free up more cap space that we could use on a UFA goalie and another half decent UFA at another position where we could use some more depth.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
  #68
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 500
Why would we need to free up cap space? There will be close to $20m this summer.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:48 PM
  #69
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,154
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Free up more cap space that we could use on a UFA goalie and another half decent UFA at another position where we could use some more depth.
And who's saying that a decent UFA goalie (or any half decent UFA player) would want to sign here?

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:29 AM
  #70
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!
 
Blakkmantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Theo would have stayed I think but he wanted a starting role, and it just wasn't going to happen here.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:41 AM
  #71
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
Theo would have stayed I think but he wanted a starting role, and it just wasn't going to happen here.
This is 100% correct.

I remember Theo made an interview the day he signed with the Panthers. He loved playing here but his goal was to get the #1 job. Then last summer, he decided to sign with the most logical choice and we can see the results now.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:33 AM
  #72
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!
 
Blakkmantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Roli for that matter was very happy here also, but the Wild dealt him away. Which I guess doesn't matter, the point is, we surely could get a UFA goalie to come here if we dealt Harding and Backs. Groomed Hackett for a year or two or three down the road. I am not a subscriber to letting Hackett become the starter next season, and throw the kid to the wolves. Let's not shatter his confidence while the kid develops, and ruin him forever. Let some veteran free agent at the end of his career carry that burden.

I think we are all pretty much in agreement this Wild team isn't going anywhere substantial for some time, so keeping Harding and Backs just don't seem to make much sense. In our system we are shallow in depth at most positions, yes we have gotten better than we were just a year or two ago, but still have a ways to go. We have a wealth of goalie talent to deal for some more of that "other" depth we so sorely need. Why not go that route, and roll the dice on Hackett being ready by the time the rest of the pieces start to fall into place.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:11 AM
  #73
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Why would we need to free up cap space? There will be close to $20m this summer.
It's even worse than that. If we don't sign a big money free agent, we'll be struggling to reach the cap floor next season as it is.

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Pierre-Marc Bouchard ($4.080m)
Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Mikael Granlund ($2.500m)
Brett Bulmer ($0.900m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($1.400m)
Nick Johnson ($0.550m) / Darroll Powe ($1.066m) / Matt Kassian ($0.512m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jonas Brodin ($1.475m) / Tom Gilbert ($4.000m)
Marco Scandella ($0.845m) / Jared Spurgeon ($0.526m)
Steven Kampfer ($0.850m) / Nate Prosser ($0.825m)

GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($6.000m) / Matthew Hackett ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS: Mark Parrish ($0.927m) / Cam Barker ($0.541m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,484,444; BONUSES: $1,140,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $17,815,556
With Backstrom on the roster, and no free agents signed, we'd need to spend $1.8MM on players who sit in the press box (Bouchard not playing would relieve this a little as we could spend that on a winger and have him count against the cap instead). That's assuming Granlund is given enough bonuses to hit $2.5MM. He could likely be given Brodin money (same cash as the $2.5MM because of how ELCs work, it's just a question of unreachable bonuses) forcing us to spend even more money. If we were to "free up" Backstrom's cap room, we'd need to spend something around $6MM in free agency. Outside of Suter and Parise, I'm not sure if there are any players worth even $4MM.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:13 AM
  #74
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
It's even worse than that. If we don't sign a big money free agent, we'll be struggling to reach the cap floor next season as it is.



With Backstrom on the roster, and no free agents signed, we'd need to spend $1.8MM on players who sit in the press box (Bouchard not playing would relieve this a little as we could spend that on a winger and have him count against the cap instead). That's assuming Granlund is given enough bonuses to hit $2.5MM. He could likely be given Brodin money (same cash as the $2.5MM because of how ELCs work, it's just a question of unreachable bonuses) forcing us to spend even more money. If we were to "free up" Backstrom's cap room, we'd need to spend something around $6MM in free agency. Outside of Suter and Parise, I'm not sure if there are any players worth even $4MM.
Which is why qualifying Lats is a no-brainer to me. I get that it's not my money throwing around, but it's very low risk/very high reward.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
  #75
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Which is why qualifying Lats is a no-brainer to me. I get that it's not my money throwing around, but it's very low risk/very high reward.
Agreed, but I also think testing the trade market for his RFA rights is advisable as well. Someone out there is willing to take that risk and are willing to pay for it.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.