Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carlyle's System

Old
03-05-2012, 02:01 PM
JGardiner51

vCash: 500
Carlyle's System

Leaf Fan here, Just wondering if you can tell me a little bit on what kind of system Carlyle runs in the offensive and defensive zone.

JGardiner51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGardiner51 View Post
Leaf Fan here, Just wondering if you can tell me a little bit on what kind of system Carlyle runs in the offensive and defensive zone.
Dump and chase+forecheck if it fails.

Defensive zone? Going off of the last 20 Carlyle/Ducks games I can remember he might as well have told them "D strategy? Screw strategy, JUST DON'T LET THEM SCORE!"

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I'd recommend you wait and see. He tweaked his system in Anaheim based on the players he had. Toronto has different strengths and weaknesses than Anaheim. Let him see what he has to work with in Toronto, and you'll see firsthand what he does.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'd recommend you wait and see. He tweaked his system in Anaheim based on the players he had. Toronto has different strengths and weaknesses than Anaheim. Let him see what he has to work with in Toronto, and you'll see firsthand what he does.
This. I forgot to add "not really an option with the Leafs" when I posted dump and chase.

Lol and what did you do to the Ducks in the GM game?
You forgot Etem, Palmieri, Holland, Schultz, and Rakell as prospects. Oh and John Gibson, unless you traded them all.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
This. I forgot to add "not really an option with the Leafs" when I posted dump and chase.
Dump and chase is one of the fundamentals of hockey. So is forechecking. How is that not an option?

Old
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Lol and what did you do to the Ducks in the GM game?
You forgot Etem, Palmieri, Holland, Schultz, and Rakell as prospects. Oh and John Gibson, unless you traded them all.
Huh?

Old
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Huh?
My bad. That was to OP.
Quote:
Dump and chase is one of the fundamentals of hockey. So is forechecking. How is that not an option?
In Carlyle's style. I'm kinda multitasking right now. Lot's of play along the boards, cycling, physical play, forecheck to retrieve the puck if the dump and chase failed. Obviously forechecking is fundamental. I just meant that Carlyle's grinding board play fit more for the big bodies like Ryan, Getzlaf, and Perry. Doesn't apply to Toronto as much.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
The important thing to know is that Carlyle expects defensive responsibility. He'll let his skill players be skill players, but he wants them to at least make the effort defensively. He demands it from his depth players.

When Anaheim had the team for it, Carlyle liked a hard, physical, and aggressive forecheck. He wanted to make the opposing team's defense hear footsteps, and he wanted to wear them down physically. He promoted going hard to the net, and basically just making life difficult for the opposing defense and goaltender.

Defensively, he liked to hold the blue line in Anaheim. Force the opposing team to dump it in. The defensive system wasn't about limiting shots, but about limiting shot quality. Unfortunately, Anaheim's blue line hasn't been as good the past few years, and the results show on the ice. As the blue line quality degraded, the breakout got worse, puck possession went down, and things just looked uglier defensively.

In my opinion, Carlyle did a good job emphasizing Anaheim's strengths. When Selanne and Andy Mac were the two biggest offensive threats, there was a lot of transition game. Their speed and counter attack was good at keeping teams on their heels. When the RPG line became the dominant threat, there was more emphasis on the cycling and grinding game.

In hindsight, I think Carlyle had a pretty specific approach. You can see an emphasis on getting the most out of the players he's getting the most out of. The RPG line, the goaltender, the shutdown line, the defense, etc... He wants the heavy lifters to do most of the heavy lifting. Unfortunately, when those players let him down, the results on the ice show it, and I'd argue he doesn't take full advantage of his depth players. I think his teams will win or lose based on how his best players are playing, and he'll ride them as far as they will take the team.

Old
03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Couple things to add.

I remember in 2007 where the team would line up 4-abreast at the blueline for transition defense. Basically clog the neutral zone and force the dump in. They got away from that recently.

Not systems, but I feel that he tends to favor the big horses. A select few that get a lot of minutes. If you're not one of his favorites then you won't get much time at all.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:46 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Couple things to add.

Not systems, but I feel that he tends to favor the big horses. A select few that get a lot of minutes. If you're not one of his favorites then you won't get much time at all.
I think that was more of a necessity, during the cup run he had depth and used it. But with BM teams he didn't have any depth so he worked guys like RPG 24 minutes a night sometimes.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
I think that was more of a necessity, during the cup run he had depth and used it. But with BM teams he didn't have any depth so he worked guys like RPG 24 minutes a night sometimes.
I think he played his horses a lot in the Cup run too. Pahlsson got a lot of minutes. The big 3 defensemen did too. I remember during the year we kept complaining he didn't play the 2nd line of Getz-Perry-whoever enough. 4th line and 3rd pairing defensemen got way less.

Old
03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I think he played his horses a lot in the Cup run too. Pahlsson got a lot of minutes. The big 3 defensemen did too. I remember during the year we kept complaining he didn't play the 2nd line of Getz-Perry-whoever enough. 4th line and 3rd pairing defensemen got way less.
That's how I saw it too. I think it's a bit misleading in that, the Pahlsson line was technically the 3rd line, but in the way Carlyle used it I think you could argue that it was really the 1st line in a lot of ways. Or damn close to it.

The 3rd pairing D just didn't see the ice much, and sometimes when they did it was with one of Anaheim's top 3 D. The 4th line was using sparingly as well, Carlyle seemed specific about when to use them: When they already had offensive possession, or if the scoring lines needed a little rest and they were taking an offensive zone face-off.

That pattern was there from the beginning. I just don't think it was quite as noticeable at first glance, because he had more "horses" at his disposal. Hell, during the regular season in 2006-2007 Niedermayer averaged almost 28 minutes. Pronger averaged a little less, and Beauchemin a little less than that. That was the regular season too. Those numbers went up even further during the playoffs, with all three of them averaging roughly 30 minutes a game. If that isn't leaning on your big guns, I don't know what is. An 82-game season, and he had those guys on the ice pretty much half of the game the entire season.

Old
03-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum

I think Randy is a great thinker and strategist of the game. I'm not sure it will be the same system he used in Anaheim, but you can be sure whatever he chooses to do will have been thought out by him.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
BLONG7

Do you guys think that Randy will have success with the Leafs? Short term, playoffs this year are not likely, but next season?

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:00 PM
illpucks

Quote:
Carlyle likes using the top 2 lines non-stop. He has 0 confidence in the 3rd or 4th lines, which is why the Ducks lost to Nashville last year in the playoffs. He plays the top units non-stop and gives little chance to the 3rd or 4th liners to succeed.

illpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
Carlyle likes using the top 2 lines non-stop. He has 0 confidence in the 3rd or 4th lines, which is why the Ducks lost to Nashville last year in the playoffs. He plays the top units non-stop and gives little chance to the 3rd or 4th liners to succeed.
This is pretty slanted. Carlyle will give ice time to lines he trusts, whether that's one line or all four. One only has to look at his first 2 seasons here to see that.

Once our [Burke's] cap management got out of hand thanks to the staycations and some poor signings, the depth went away and so did Carlyle's confidence. It is not because he has an irrational bias against bottom 6 players.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
That was because the third and fourth liners sucked, they didn't deserve any more ice time than what he gave them. It wasn't until 09-10 when the Ducks lost all their depth and he was forced to overplay the big players. Before that we always had handy third liners that he would trust (Pahlsson, Moen, Niedermayer, Marchant). In the 09 playoffs he was regularly matching Marchant and Niedermayer's line against the Datsyuk line from Detroit.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
you sound like RC killed your family or something.. that is so far from the truth lol

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:19 PM
illpucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
you sound like RC killed your family or something.. that is so far from the truth lol
Umm its called watching Getzlaf and Perry dead tired and Carlyle putting them back on regardless. I take it you didn't watch our series with Nashville. Go back and watch it and you will see what I am talking about.

illpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

the budget killed the ducks

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:56 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Video killed the radio star.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:42 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Umm its called watching Getzlaf and Perry dead tired and Carlyle putting them back on regardless. I take it you didn't watch our series with Nashville. Go back and watch it and you will see what I am talking about.
It's called having a short-term memory. Coachs aren't going to just hand out ice time to scrubs, and our bottom 6 last year played like scrubs.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:02 AM
pbgoalie

Well, if he uses his system he used here...
Come out of training camp flat with dead legs.
Wake up the dead legs by having harder practices.
Make certain that when guys make a mistake, they
immediately look at the bench to check if they are screwed.
Make mistakes and enjoy the doghouse
When you are really beat...get ready for a really hard practice.

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote