HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turco to Bruins

Old
03-06-2012, 09:32 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Surprised there isn't more love for Turco. He was just a tick under .900%. What more can you expect from a backup...especially with how much worse the D was last year? That's a good season.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:13 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I like the guy. Hes not the goalie he once was but his attitude is great and he is very much a team guy. The Hawk team played terribly in front of him last season which made him look worse than he is. Some around here should give him the respect he deserves. I hope he does well in Boston.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Blue Liner

I certainly wish him well. As stated, he was a great team guy and never made waves about losing his starting spot or anything of the sort, at least not publicly, and his teammates always spoke highly of him. Crawford, in particular. I have no ill will towards the guy at all and hope he does well.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Surprised there isn't more love for Turco. He was just a tick under .900%. What more can you expect from a backup...especially with how much worse the D was last year? That's a good season.
The team defense has been a lot worse this year than last year IMO.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:05 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
The team defense has been a lot worse this year than last year IMO.
No way, Turco was playing regularly with Boynton-Cullimore. SOD and even Lepisto own both of those two. Keith has been better this year, especially vs. earlier in last season. Hammer started really slow last year too. I know you said team D but there isn't much difference forward wise especially considering all of the injuries the team suffered last year.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:13 PM
LandofLincoln

Good for Turco. He needs to get back into the conversation of the NHL. He still can be a backup, but his best days are far behind him. Plus Boston needs experience at this point in the season. Bringing in a rookie goaltender for a stretch run is a way to ruin one. Good for Marty. Always liked him to bad it didn't work out with the Hawks.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Turco had a good season? really?

change his name to Emery and you would still cry all over it this year.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Turco had a good season? really?

change his name to Emery and you would still cry all over it this year.
I was being sarcastic. Both were bad and I was all over Turco last year. Turco had a much better resume too.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

after reading it again, I got it

Old
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Damn.... I had a $5 bet with Marty that he wouldn't be back in the NHL this year....

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:46 PM
digdug41982

I'm rooting for Marty. As we know, he doesn't have a whole lot left but he'll be on a really good team so he might be able to have a good run.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
It's a shame we didn't have Emery last year.

Maybe then we wouldn't have needed Minnesota just to make the playoffs.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

We'll never know. I think the D is better this year though. Obviously it finished the year much better than it was at the beginning and saw a number of roster changes but I like the D better this year, specifically Keith and Hjalmarsson. Last year the forwards were a little better, I'll give them that.

Old
03-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
We'll never know. I think the D is better this year though. Obviously it finished the year much better than it was at the beginning and saw a number of roster changes but I like the D better this year, specifically Keith and Hjalmarsson. Last year the forwards were a little better, I'll give them that.
The D has been bad both years, but at least last year everyone -- not just the defensemen -- actually tried to get it done in the defensive zone. I'd be lying if I said I thought they did a good job, but a failed effort is better than no effort at all.

This year I've watched almost every player on the roster take turns floating around in the neutral and defensive zones, coughing up the puck, and then letting players march right past them. We get into the defensive zone, and the forwards decide that they'd rather wait to receive a breakaway pass than try to create one. And then after they prove that system doesn't work, they go out and do it again the next game.

Last edited by Sevanston: 03-08-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old
03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

Turco has won us some games early in the season

Old
03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
The D has been bad both years, but at least last year everyone -- not just the defensemen -- actually tried to get it done in the defensive zone. I'd be lying if I said I thought they did a good job, but a failed effort is better than no effort at all.

This year I've watched almost every player on the roster take turns floating around in the neutral and defensive zones, coughing up the puck, and then letting players march right past them. We get into the defensive zone, and the forwards decide that they'd rather wait to receive a breakaway pass than try to create one. And then after they prove that system doesn't work, they go out and do it again the next game.
Agreed with your assessment. I tend to cut a lot of slack on this years team just because of the horrid goaltending. It's all circular, you give up too many goals, you tighten up too much on D, score 1 or 0, then start thinking it's better to try and outscore the opponent. Obviously none of the above is the answer but there's just too much crap going on in our own end that it all just becomes tangled up. I still feel if we had the goaltending all year, or most of it, everybody and everything looks better. Individually though, I can't see how anyone wouldn't say Keith and Hjalmarsson have had clearly better years and that that has helped the team defense quite a bit. We need help up front though, no doubt, it's why Frolik was praised so much for his play in the first 30 or so games.

Old
03-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Agreed with your assessment. I tend to cut a lot of slack on this years team just because of the horrid goaltending. It's all circular, you give up too many goals, you tighten up too much on D, score 1 or 0, then start thinking it's better to try and outscore the opponent. Obviously none of the above is the answer but there's just too much crap going on in our own end that it all just becomes tangled up. I still feel if we had the goaltending all year, or most of it, everybody and everything looks better. Individually though, I can't see how anyone wouldn't say Keith and Hjalmarsson have had clearly better years and that that has helped the team defense quite a bit. We need help up front though, no doubt, it's why Frolik was praised so much for his play in the first 30 or so games.
With a better goalie, we would be a better team. There's no doubt. You could say that for close to 75% of teams in the league, but that doesn't make it any less true.

The argument for defense vs. goalie does get tangled up a lot though. We absolutely do need better goaltending. Emery has let in some goals where the defense was doing most things right (like that 1st goal in STL, for example). But by and large I still think that Emery's play should be good enough for an NHL backup; for every goal he should've had, there have been three or four that he didn't have much of a chance on.

The big difference with Turco is that he was letting in way more goals that he got perfectly good looks at. I don't see that as much with Emery, and it's something the stats really can't show.

Last edited by Sevanston: 03-08-2012 at 05:12 PM.