HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Future is Bright

Old
03-05-2012, 04:42 AM
Smallz

vCash: 500
The Future is Bright

BASED ENTIRELY ON WHAT WE CURRENTLY HAVE IN THE SYSTEM - DOES NOT FACTOR IN FA SIGNINGS OR TRADES!

FUTURE (3-5 years I'd say):
Joffrey Lupul/Nik Kulemin - ____________ - Phil Kessel
Carter Ashton/Nik Kulemin - Joe Colborne - Nazem Kadri
Brad Ross - Tyler Bozak - Tyler Biggs
Jerry D'Amigo/Mike Brown - ________ - Kenny Ryan

Dion Phaneuf - Carl Gunnarsson
Jake Gardiner - Jesse Blacker/Stuart Percy
Cody Franson - Luke Schenn/Korbinian Holzer

James Reimer
Ben Scrivens/Mark Owyua/Jussi Rynnas

Guys not listed who could be on a future team:
Mikhail Grabovski
Matt Frattin
Sondre Olden
Marcel Mueller
Greg McKegg

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:19 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
I usualy dont post in lineup threads but it is nice to see someone include Kenny Ryan in one of these. He is a bit of a forgotten prospect around here.

He wont provide much in the way of offense but should be a good shutdown penalty killing forward for years to come.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:29 AM
number72

Ryan will never play more then 50 NHL games.
What a waste of a pick from the Antropov trade.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:42 AM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

I'm of the firm belief that Kenny Ryan will find a job in the NHL. Have you seen him play? I watched a Marlies-Ice Caps game back in November and Ryan was the biggest stand out on the ice - not for skills with the puck, but without. The guy is absolutely relentless on the forecheck and absolutely punishes defensemen down low. He reminds a lot of Mike Brown, actually, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:54 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Kenny Ryan Thread

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Heatleys Eye

most teams could create a thread with names of prospects who might make an impact at the NHL level

I'm a huge Leaf fan and I am the first to admit our prospects are heavily hyped up more than they should be.

Bump this in a few years and I'll eat crow if it all works out

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Gatorade*

The future is bright because there are some 3rd and 4th line players coming?

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:08 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
most teams could create a thread with names of prospects who might make an impact at the NHL level

I'm a huge Leaf fan and I am the first to admit our prospects are heavily hyped up more than they should be.

At first I thought this was a bump from last year as well with the "future is bright"

Old
03-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Don't discredit the value of having very good 3rd/4th liners!! They are an important part of the team and you aren't going to win anything without them!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Don't discredit the value of having very good 3rd/4th liners!! They are an important part of the team and you aren't going to win anything without them!
Sure you need good players in every position. However, missing the post season for six straight seasons should yield more than depth on the lower lines.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post

Well we have one of the best AHL teams in the league in the Marlies with 6 players who will be at least 20 goal scorers. The team has excellent goal tending as well. There's plenty to be excited about.

Can someone tell me a time when the Leafs' AHL team was a Calder contender? I can't recall that ever happening before. To me, this is a huge indicator as far as what's to come.

This team is being built the right way and is flush with young talent as evidenced by the success of the Marlies.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
Well we have one of the best AHL teams in the league in the Marlies with 6 players who will be at least 20 goal scorers. The team has excellent goal tending as well. There's plenty to be excited about.

Can someone tell me a time when the Leafs' AHL team was a Calder contender? I can't recall that ever happening before. To me, this is a huge indicator as far as what's to come.

This team is being built the right way and is flush with young talent as evidenced by the success of the Marlies.
I don't think the Marlies top two scorers are in the plans for the Maple Leafs.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:22 AM
number72

Quote:
Some fans want an occasional first liner from their draft pick. I'm not sure many fans aer all that happy if the 1st/2nd rounders drafted yield 3/4th line talent. That talent you can find in AHL already or UFA. The first line talent and top shutdown defenders are what doesn't come on the UFA market that much.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Sure you need good players in every position. However, missing the post season for six straight seasons should yield more than depth on the lower lines.
Then look again at the roster he posted.

Ashton, Colborne, KAdri, Frattin... There isn't even enough spots in teh top 6 to fit the players coming in.

I woudl also likely fit McKegg in tehre as well but he's a year behind those players! There is plenty of future for the top lines.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
thewave

It's Leafs nation, everyone is a superstar before they hit the ice in the NHL for the first time. I'd prefer to wait and see them actually play 30 or more games first.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Then look again at the roster he posted.

Ashton, Colborne, KAdri, Frattin... There isn't even enough spots in teh top 6 to fit the players coming in.

I woudl also likely fit McKegg in tehre as well but he's a year behind those players! There is plenty of future for the top lines.
Okay so you ice a team with Ashton, Colborne, Kadri, Frattin in the top 6 and you think you are a contender?

Old
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
It's Leafs nation, everyone is a superstar before they hit the ice in the NHL for the first time. I'd prefer to wait and see them actually play 30 or more games first.
Oh please, always a bunch of people that gotta put this in every future's thread!! For every fan pumping a prospect cause he's a Leaf there's more than one trashing him cause he's a Leaf.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Oh please, always a bunch of people that gotta put this in every future's thread!! For every fan pumping a prospect cause he's a Leaf there's more than one trashing him cause he's a Leaf.
Then there are the realists who know that a depth chart is not the next version of a team.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Okay so you ice a team with Ashton, Colborne, Kadri, Frattin in the top 6 and you think you are a contender?
Yes because that is exactly what I said. We'll play 3 players in our top six.

You play a top six of the best of Kessel, Lupul, Grabs, Mac, Ashton, Colborne, KAdri plus whatever free agent or traded player we'll see in teh future and that'll make this team a contender!

I don't even believe all 3 of those players will turn out as top 6 players!

Old
03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
I don't think the Marlies top two scorers are in the plans for the Maple Leafs.
Sure they are, they don't have to be on the Leafs lineup to be effective for the organization.

Zigo and Hamilton are perfect examples of players that provide experience and leadership for the youngsters which helps them develop into NHL players. There's a reason these guys are paid higher than most AHLers (particularly Zigo). This is one of the advantages the Leafs have over the competition and are exploiting that advantage well.

I am pretty confident Zigo and Hamilton will be with the organization next year and are very much in the plans for the organization.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
Sure they are, they don't have to be on the Leafs lineup to be effective for the organization.

Zigo and Hamilton are perfect examples of players that provide experience and leadership for the youngsters which helps them develop into NHL players. There's a reason these guys are paid higher than most AHLers (particularly Zigo). This is one of the advantages the Leafs have over the competition and are exploiting that advantage well.

I am pretty confident Zigo and Hamilton will be with the organization next year and are very much in the plans for the organization.
They probably will if the Leafs are over paying them.

But I have a hard time reading that the Marlies are great because of the kids when the kids are not the main cogs in the wheel.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
I agree. the future's pretty dark. I mean yes, the Leafs have 2 guys in the top 10 in league scoring, but both are nearing retirement so they'll drop off. That #51 on the back end has been a nice surprise, but he's got to start slowing down next year. And look at all the long term contracts BB has signed guys like Connolly, Lombardi, etc to; that will tie the Leafs hands for years.

I can't see 1 thing to look forward to in the Leafs future.

****, I almost got hit by that piece of sky

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I agree. the future's pretty dark. I mean yes, the Leafs have 2 guys in the top 10 in league scoring, but both are nearing retirement so they'll drop off. That #51 on the back end has been a nice surprise, but he's got to start slowing down next year. And look at all the long term contracts BB has signed guys like Connolly, Lombardi, etc to; that will tie the Leafs hands for years.

I can't see 1 thing to look forward to in the Leafs future.

****, I almost got hit by that piece of sky
Cup next couple of years?

Old
03-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Some fans want an occasional first liner from their draft pick. I'm not sure many fans aer all that happy if the 1st/2nd rounders drafted yield 3/4th line talent. That talent you can find in AHL already or UFA. The first line talent and top shutdown defenders are what doesn't come on the UFA market that much.
It baffles me how people think you can just go grab top-3rd/4th line talent like it grows on trees. 3rd and 4th lines are not garbage wastelands where you can just grab filler spots.

Those are improtant roles and filled with important players and top contending teams develop those players. You wanna fill the bottom two lines with AHLers??? Does that sound like a contending team to you??

You mention top shutdown defenders, what about top shutdown defending offenseman that you shoudl have inyour bottom six? You think teams are just willing to let them walk or itching to trade them!

That is my biggest pet peeve about this current team and I think needs tobe addressed before a 1C. The 3rd line should not be housing Lombo/Connolly and I think Carlyle will be on Burke immediately to change this!

Old
03-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
It baffles me how people think you can just go grab top-3rd/4th line talent like it grows on trees. 3rd and 4th lines are not garbage wastelands where you can just grab filler spots.

Those are improtant roles and filled with important players and top contending teams develop those players. You wanna fill the bottom two lines with AHLers??? Does that sound like a contending team to you??

You mention top shutdown defenders, what about top shutdown defending offenseman that you shoudl have inyour bottom six? You think teams are just willing to let them walk or itching to trade them!

That is my biggest pet peeve about this current team and I think needs tobe addressed before a 1C. The 3rd line should not be housing Lombo/Connolly and I think Carlyle will be on Burke immediately to change this!
You can get above average 3rd and 4th line players many ways. Trade deadlines, in season trades and even waivers. Drafting them and saying that is a plus after six dark springs is kinda out there for me.