HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: What do you think happens with Jordan Staal?

View Poll Results: What do you think happens with Jordan?
Staal signs by August 1, 2012. 19 14.29%
Staal signs before training camp. 24 18.05%
Staal signs during the preseason. 5 3.76%
Staal signs during the season. 19 14.29%
Staal signs during the offseason in 2013. 4 3.01%
Staal is traded. 50 37.59%
Staal becomes a UFA and signs elsewhere. 12 9.02%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Poll: What do you think happens with Jordan Staal?

I thought that it would be interesting to see by votes how people here think that the Staal situation will play out. The earliest that he can sign is July 2, 2012. Mods, feel free to merge this with the Staal thread.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Pancakes

I have a funny feeling he's traded to Carolina for their pick plus a roster player and a prospect.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
gordie

Until Crosby signs, Ray Shero's hands are tied.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

He'll sign a long term deal before August 1st. That doesn't mean he'll stay with the team long term, but I'm sure Shero will do everything he can to sign him.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

He signs a deal.

I don't think he comes close to finishing that deal as a Penguin...or maybe even plays a game with the team after it kicks in, but he'll sign. He's not hitting UFA status and Shero will make sure of it.

He's not going to be a Penguin long-term.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He signs a deal.

I don't think he comes close to finishing that deal as a Penguin...or maybe even plays a game with the team after it kicks in, but he'll sign. He's not hitting UFA status and Shero will make sure of it.

He's not going to be a Penguin long-term.
Then why does he sign? He's not stupid.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Flat Stanley

I'm thinking he will be traded.

If he doesn't want to be a 3rd line center, a top 6 winger or sign a deal before July 1, 2013, the smartest thing to do would be to trade him.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Then why does he sign? He's not stupid.
Exactly. Sign and trades never happen in hockey.

I will say this. If Staal isn't traded during the off season I don't think he's traded at all unless the Pens decide to trade his rights after the season is up. There's almost no way he'll get moved during the season unless the team is massively struggling. If the Pens don't move him now, they never will, and they will risk losing him for nothing.

This off season is the most important one of Ray's tenure by far. He has to decide whether or not he has a shot at re-signing Staal and he has to decide it quick. Staal's value will never be higher than during this off season and trading him during the season risks lockerroom chemistry and will likely be harder to pull off.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

It won't be a sign and trade, but how many times has Holmgren signed guys only to trade them a few months later?

Staal will get a deal that he'll want and the Penguins will try to keep him around...but we'll see how feasible it is down the road.

Staal on a long-term deal is more easily tradeable than Staal as an impending UFA.

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Master Shake

He signs. We do not have to trade him. The media and fans, especially Canadian, are just obsessed with the idea of trades involving Staal

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
It won't be a sign and trade, but how many times has Holmgren signed guys only to trade them a few months later?

Staal will get a deal that he'll want and the Penguins will try to keep him around...but we'll see how feasible it is down the road.

Staal on a long-term deal is more easily tradeable than Staal as an impending UFA.
I could see him being traded a few years after signing whatever new deal he gets but it won't be just a few months later. Shero isn't Holmgren.

Staal is more tradeable if he's signed but if he's signed the Pens won't want to trade him so..

Old
05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

It might be a quick negotiation with the Crosby camp.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Nothing of significance will happen. He will sign by Christmas, for $5M, and everyone will go "Aw shucks, that was fun fantasizing about where/what he would be traded for."

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:48 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I just don't see Staal going elsewhere. I think Shero is too smart to let a player this good go (who we'll get a lot cheaper than any equally talented UFA) when there's cap dollars being spent on other players who we could replace.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:00 PM
mpp9

I think we'll certainly try and sign him up to 6 mil or so. if Geno and Letang's extensions and the pace at which our D prospects take on NHL roles force him to deal Staal down the road, so be it.

He'll put up a 60+ pt season next year and if we can some term on his contract, his value will only go up. I'd say it's possible Shero can sell him on staying for the time being. Signing a short term extension so our hands aren't tied at season's end.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Hottubber

My vote was for him making it to FA and signing elsewhere. I really hope Im wrong

Hottubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Nothing of significance will happen. He will sign by Christmas, for $5M, and everyone will go "Aw shucks, that was fun fantasizing about where/what he would be traded for."
You do realize he is set to become a UFA, right?

I'll be very surprised if Shero takes that long to resolve this matter. If Staal goes into this season as an UFA, his trade value continues to decline each and every game. Then if he decided to play out the contract and sign elsewhere, we get absolutely nothing.

When you consider those circumstances, I think it makes sense that action will be taken sooner than later.

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Skk82

Quote:

Staal could seek a no-trade or no-movement clause though. And given what's happened league wide to guys like Carter and Richards, he'd be foolish not to get a NMC so that it's not HIM that gets dumped off to Columbus or some other wasteland in a few years when there's a serious cap crunch in Pittsburgh.

Not that Shero would do trade his prized pupil....but hey, if I'm repping Staal, no way he's signing unless there's some assurances written in the contract.

Last edited by Skk82: 05-07-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Staal could seek a no-trade or no-movement clause though. And given what's happened league wide to guys like Carter and Richards, he'd be foolish not to get a NMC so that it's not HIM that gets dumped off to Columbus or some other wasteland in a few years when there's a serious cap crunch in Pittsburgh.

Not that Shero would do it....but hey.
And we are not the the Flyers who treat their players like dirt, either burying them in the minors or trading them off once they sign at a discounted rate. Which is why we get players to come here for less, or to resign for less.

If Staal is willing, Shero will resign him. But not to trade him, to keep him. The three center model does work.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
And we are not the the Flyers who treat their players like dirt, either burying them in the minors or trading them off once they sign at a discounted rate. Which is why we get players to come here for less, or to resign for less.
Up to this point, yes. (Even though a lot of people speculate the Pens will trade Martin 2 summers removed from FA).

But the point is Holmgren loved Richards and Carter once upon a time too. Then things soured and he treated them like commodities. If I'm repping a player, I'd put everything in writing. He's an unrestricted free agent to be, why not demand that if Pittsburgh wants to sign him, it's set in stone he'll be a Penguin.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Skk82

For the poll - I think Shero waits.

Who knows with this new CBA to agree to if the players will get bent over the barrel and lose more of their % of revenue (thus dropping the upper and lower limits of the salary cap). Or any sort of amnesty that could drop a bad contract (Paul Martin?) from the cap picture.

Given Staal's impending UFA, what he'd fetch back from the limited suitors that would be interested, wouldn't be near enough to merit a trade.

So hold tight, even if you risk losing him for nothing on July 1, 2013. Better to take a run at the Cup.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:45 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
So hold tight, even if you risk losing him for nothing on July 1, 2013. Better to take a run at the Cup.
Definitely not the way I would ever run a team. If you lose a 2nd overall pick for nothing.. then yeah that is a textbook example of poor asset management.

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I voted with my heart: signs before training camp. My head is confused, so I voted with my heart.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Why in the world would Shero trade him? Isn't he a RFA still?

There's no way he's not a Penguin for at least 4 more seasons.

However, I do think that his next contract will be his last in Pittsburgh.

Ziggyjoe21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Why in the world would Shero trade him? Isn't he a RFA still?

There's no way he's not a Penguin for at least 4 more seasons.

However, I do think that his next contract will be his last in Pittsburgh.
He's a UFA and he is scheduled to hit the open market next off season.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote