HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Injury Talk 5.0: Diaz and Bourque out with concussions

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I wish it wasn't.

Andy Mailly-Pressoir ‏@AndyMPressoir
Commotion confirmée pour Gallagher. Il ne se souvenait pas de la date, de contre qui le CH avait joué et qu'il avait marqué. #Habs
I hope gally gets better

Old
02-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Agreed that it's not uncommon. However it is quite the juxtaposition beside Wilde's "getting the feeling it's not serious" tweet.

Brain trauma is always serious. Full stop.
You're right of course. Serious but recoverable, depending on severity. Fortunately, not all concussions are severe. Brendan's short-term memory may have been affected immediately after the check and cleared up minutes later. The "Not serious" tweet could've been based on observing him 20 minutes later. It's possible he'll sit out as a precaution.

Obviously I'm taking some optimistic guesses.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:37 PM
JohnLennon

Hey mods, why haven't you just made a new thread for injuries this season? I'm tired of having to look through the pages for actual updates. The first post is from a year ago, last season.

Maybe we should make a new thread for this season and have the first post with updates, like last year. I see no reason why we keep lumping everything into the 25+ pages of this outdated thread.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:38 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Agreed that it's not uncommon. However it is quite the juxtaposition beside Wilde's "getting the feeling it's not serious" tweet.

Brain trauma is always serious. Full stop.
That's because Brian Wilde is an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Please, let's not start finger-pointing because of a bad outcome. Schenn is a tough D who delivers hard checks. Very much like Emelin in that respect. This hit was clean, even if the outcome was bad.

The thing about Leaf fans I couldn't stand was their continued whining about Gionta hitting Reimer last year. That unintentional hit became dirty! intentional! classless! suspendable! in their desperate, fevered imagination. In all that's holy, do not become like that!
Agreed.

A hit is a hit, sucks our rookie got injured but we can't blame them for finishing their checks. -- and I was one of the fiercest Chara haters after his attempted murder. Fair is fair, Chara's hit was illegal and dirty and despicable, Schenn's wasn't at all.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
#Habs Therrien says there is no 7 day protocol for Gallagher. But he wont be playing tomorrow. "Maybe Tuesday"
That's probably the quote that is causing confusion on the severity of his injury. If he can't remember what happened, he likely suffered some degree of brain trauma, and shouldn't that fall into the 7 day symptom free category? Yet, MT said he could go tuesday? Does that mean the report of him not remembering anything is erroneous?

I guess we should also consider the timing of MT's comments. Did he say this yesterday or today? If he said it today, then I don't know what to believe.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
That's probably the quote that is causing confusion on the severity of his injury. If he can't remember what happened, he likely suffered some degree of brain trauma, and shouldn't that fall into the 7 day symptom free category? Yet, MT said he could go tuesday? Does that mean the report of him not remembering anything is erroneous?

I guess we should also consider the timing of MT's comments. Did he say this yesterday or today? If he said it today, then I don't know what to believe.
He said it today, since yesterday he didn't say much beside it being a upper body injury.

As for the report, apparently it's common to lose some memory. However, I do find it weird that this was only reported from one person. Someone who we've never really heard of until now. Maybe he just has a scoop.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Habaddict

Quote:

There does seem to be a contradiction. This sort of memory loss is at least
a warning sign of a possible concussion. I think that should trigger a minimum
period without symptoms. Especially with a player that has a history of head
injury.
And on that front. Does anyone know how serious his previous concussion was?

Old
02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
He said it today, since yesterday he didn't say much beside it being a upper body injury.

As for the report, apparently it's common to lose some memory. However, I do find it weird that this was only reported from one person. Someone who we've never really heard of until now. Maybe he just has a scoop.
For MT to even open up the possibility of him playing tuesday, given what he should already know, I would think this is good news, meaning that gally may not even have a concussion at all. I think its pretty standard these days to be PCS free for 7 days before you can even begin to work out. Given how sensitive an issue this is, surely, the habs would not allow him to think about playing tuesday even if there was a hint of a concussion, would they?

I mean, if he had a concussion, MT would know that tuesday is not even possible. That is of course, assuming that MT is being transparent about this.

Perhaps he has some other type of injury. I wasn't thinking concussion when I saw the hit live, although I concede that it is certainly possible. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited by Hackett: 02-17-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Craig71

I am willing to bet that if Max Pacioretty gives B Gally a simple hug or handshake, the kid will be ready for tomorrow nights game.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I am willing to bet that if Max Pacioretty gives B Gally a simple hug or handshake, the kid will be ready for tomorrow nights game.
And he would probably grow a beard by then as well.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Hey mods, why haven't you just made a new thread for injuries this season? I'm tired of having to look through the pages for actual updates. The first post is from a year ago, last season.

Maybe we should make a new thread for this season and have the first post with updates, like last year. I see no reason why we keep lumping everything into the 25+ pages of this outdated thread.
Because moderators have lives and like to enjoy their weekends as much as anyone else.

When I have a minute I'll look at fixing the thread or creating a new one with new updates. Consider this a stop-gap until we can come up with something better. We appreciate your patience in these trying times.

Old
HabsCowboysOwn
No Pain No Gain

Therrien said Gallagher will be fine. Even if he don't play this week, that's still positive considering what could've happened. I'll take the coach version before some random journalist one. There's no need to panick before we get some more LEGIT infos from the CLUB. Chill out ppl.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
DAChampion

No need to rush gallagher back, let him rest, not because of this concussion, but because of future concussions.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Because moderators have lives and like to enjoy their weekends as much as anyone else.

When I have a minute I'll look at fixing the thread or creating a new one with new updates. Consider this a stop-gap until we can come up with something better. We appreciate your patience in these trying times.
Yeah. It was a blizzard of injuries/health issues, after weeks of
good weather. So I guess it caught everyone by surprise.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
And he would probably grow a beard by then as well.
I have never heard of another player with the healing ability of Pacioretty. He must drink deer antler spray.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:

Sorry for coming across as impatient. Didn't mean it that way; was just curious as to why there isn't a new thread. Take your time and do what you want! You're not getting paid for the gig.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:59 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
I didn't know delusion was a prerequisite for becoming a moderator.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:13 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Chara, Thornton and Lucic sure prevented Savard and Horton from getting their brains scrambled!
This line of thinking is dumb.

Its dumb projecting your fallacy on people who do not believe that fallacy.

Schenn hit Gallagher, maybe should have been a penalty but that is what happens in hockey games.

Please, for the love of honesty, quit with the " people who want this team tougher believe that tough guys will prevent all injuries".

It is dumb.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
The news isn't bad, but I'm a little bit confused. Isn't it mandatory to have 7 days of concussion free symptoms prior to resuming workouts? It makes me wonder if Gallagher actually had an official concussion or whether they are being extra careful with him.

I just hope this flu bug doesn't run rampant in the dressing room. I can live with the other d2d situations.
No longer 7 day's mandatory. The rules changed this year. Now you just have to pass a barrage of test's.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbybirthday View Post
No longer 7 day's mandatory. The rules changed this year. Now you just have to pass a barrage of test's.
he didn't remember that he scored or if we had won
i think he failed

Old
02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
habtastic

People saying that it happens every game so therefore it's a clean hit are making quite a tautological error.

I'm not saying it was the dirtiest thing to ever happen, I'm saying it was cheap and he didn't need to do that, i.e., it was NOT a hockey play. He came in with one purpose only - finish a check on a player without the puck. Grey area there about whether that's what a D should do there and I agree, it happens a lot. I just think that the way Gally was positioned, you really shouldn't hit someone like that. It's dangerous and while usually tough hockey players bounce back right away (Gally has taken his fair share already), the result of the fact that it's dangerous has come to fruition: Gally got hurt.

As for the Reimer-Gionta thing, two TOTTTTALLY different things since:
a) Gionta was pushed INTO Reimer and something (allegedly his elbow) hit Reimer in the head. Gio wasn't finishing a play or something.
b) I'm not going to lord this over Schenn forever like those freakshows. I'm saying that it was a borderline cheap hit and it's what you get when you play the flyers, but Schenn really played that one badly. Game happens fast and I respect the guys who hit without just trying to rub a guy out. Again, no reason to ride his head into the glass there. How is that not boarding BTW?

My main concern is that Gally's future is not compromised. It's more worrisome in light of his past. To have such a dynamic player, a great pick and an important piece of our future Cup potentially have his career impacted negatively gives me shivers. The other injuries, ok fine, we can deal. This is far more serious. I really hope that the nature of this concussion was such that the impact was on the part of his brain that is most robust. (Related to grades and severity as well as consequent prognosis.)

Oh and I just remembered how after the 6-0 game, leaf fans were saying that Orr went after Gio as payback for the Reimer thing. Maybe THIS is their ultimate payback since it was when Schenn was a Leaf. I'm sure, somewhere on these boards, that argument is being made. (And that some Leaf fans are actually happy.)

Old
02-17-2013, 05:11 PM
SB164

I don't know how accurate this is but:

Gallagher se porte mieux aujourd'hui heureusement. On m'indique qu'il ne se souvenait même plus de son nom après le match, hier soir. #Habs

So apparently B-Gally's doing better today, but apparently he couldn't even remember his name after the game. Woah, that's scary.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I don't know how accurate this is but:

Gallagher se porte mieux aujourd'hui heureusement. On m'indique qu'il ne se souvenait même plus de son nom après le match, hier soir. #Habs

So apparently B-Gally's doing better today, but apparently he couldn't even remember his name after the game. Woah, that's scary.
I don't believe this is true at all. Please stop posting made up nonsense about Jordan Gallagher. Enough is enough. Jordan's okay, he just got his bell rung, he does not have a concussion and those stories are pure bologne. Irritating.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:43 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
I don't believe this is true at all. Please stop posting made up nonsense about Jordan Gallagher. Enough is enough. Jordan's okay, he just got his bell rung, he does not have a concussion and those stories are pure bologne. Irritating.

Jordan. Really?

Old
02-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbybirthday View Post
Yeah, I just read that on tsn

Its anyone's guess now when he comes back now, I suppose

Closed Thread