HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Transition from House to Beer leagues

Old
03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
BLBarmada

vCash: 500
Transition from House to Beer leagues

Hi all,

My last season of youth hockey is wrapping up, and I will need to search for a beer league for next year, for those who have made this transition, what level should a player who played house his whole life start at ?

What are the biggest differences ?

What should I watch out for ?

3on3 or 5on5 ?

Any info would be nice and appreaciated.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:54 AM
ean

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/1...ckey-handbook/

Good luck!

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:20 AM
SERE 24
LGR

What's really the difference? Beer league is all adults and house league is for the minors? Beer league is typically pretty loose, recreational and relatively low quality hockey unless you're playing in a top division.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:37 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
What's really the difference? Beer league is all adults and house league is for the minors? Beer league is typically pretty loose, recreational and relatively low quality hockey unless you're playing in a top division.
So so your one of the top house players should I play C ? Or B ?

I doubt I can handle the Adult A leagues, those guys are usually AAA and AA.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:50 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

As a rookie you will be expected to bring the beer!

That's the difference between minor and beer league.

As for which one to play go for the highest level you can possibly be at. Go for B.

I play in the middle east and the teams are a mashup of skill levels and nationalities.

Some of the guys I play with/against has played junior/college or the equivalent European league.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:03 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
As a rookie you will be expected to bring the beer!

That's the difference between minor and beer league.

As for which one to play go for the highest level you can possibly be at. Go for B.

I play in the middle east and the teams are a mashup of skill levels and nationalities.

Some of the guys I play with/against has played junior/college or the equivalent European league.
There are beer leagues in the middle east? That's awesome! Are the players mostly expats from North America/Europe? I love the idea of hockey growing to non-traditional marketplaces. Not as much as Bettman, but still.

House league is like tier 3-5 at most levels. I play in a 12 tier system and tier 12 is home to absolute rookies who can't skate, while tier 1/2 are former junior players or really, really good guys. I'm assuming you want a challenge but not to be destroyed. Are your teammates going to continue playing? Maybe you could make a team with them, if you're all old enough. That way, during relegation your league will put you where your skill level is.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
There are beer leagues in the middle east? That's awesome! Are the players mostly expats from North America/Europe? I love the idea of hockey growing to non-traditional marketplaces. Not as much as Bettman, but still.
Theres more than beer leagues.

National teams in some of the countries like the UAE, Kuwait. Part of the IIHF.

UAE also has a higher level tier that has inter-city games which are fairly high level. Though not like junior etc. maybe more like a champagne league. Lol

The league I'm in has a wide mix of players from NA and Europe mostly.

On my team for example we have a bunch of canadians, one swede, one Dutch guy born and raised in the middle east, 2 Slovaks, 2 British, and 2 quebeckers

Other teams have Russians, Finns, some from Lebanon. There was a local guy at one point but I haven't seen him this year.

In fact they create a team from these players to go play tournaments in places like Canada, Prague, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, hong kong, china, Bahrain, Qatar and a few other places.

There's a book I haven't read called tropic of hockey that details a guys story about the expat hockey leagues around the world.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
So so your one of the top house players should I play C ? Or B ?

I doubt I can handle the Adult A leagues, those guys are usually AAA and AA.
Go for B, or if you're nervous, play a season in C and if you're too good, move up the following season. If you're confident, jump right into B and ditto, if you feel you could handle a better league, move up the following season.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:33 PM
ponder

When people talk about A, B or C level beer leagues, they really need to specify how many divisions there are. In my current beer league (in Vancouver) there are 7 divisions, and I'd say a top notch house league player should be roughly in div 4-5. In my previous beer league (also in Vancouver) there were around 12 divisions, and a to notch house league player should be around div 7-8. You really shouldn't be in the top 1-2 divisions in these leagues unless you played at least junior A/B.

Last edited by ponder: 03-08-2012 at 04:01 PM.
ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:45 PM
BLBarmada

See I'm older the most of the guys I will be making a team will, they all have a year of midget eligibility left, some of my friends want to play Junior B, which is basically for all the ex travel players (in Quebec its for ex BB's and CC's) so I don't exactly have enough people to make my own team.