HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez refused to go the Islanders

Old
03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
This is all so clearly ridiculous as Gomer's Corsi and various other puck possession stats clearly indicate that he will return to being a 60 point producer once his shooting percentage and his on ice save percentage regress to the mean.

His "bad luck" must end at some point.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Timmins was on that same team, and apparently he was furious that he wasnt consulted despite having a prospect being sent the other way. How can we know that Bob talked to Gauthier? Spin it how you want, the GM makes the final call...under owner approval of course.

Maybe Gainey's plan was to take a dive that season, but the owner/president wouldn't allow it because it was the centennial and what not.
bingo...

do you recall hearing anything about Gauthier being "furious" for not being consulted despite a very expensive pro player coming our way?

Timmins let his frustration over that decision come out, either Gauthier was on board, or is too much of a coward to speak his mind... either way, doesn't reflect positively on him

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
This is all so clearly ridiculous as Gomer's Corsi and various other puck possession stats clearly indicate that he will return to being a 60 point producer once his shooting percentage and his on ice save percentage regress to the mean.

i love it... i miss reading those "objective fact" rationalizations from last year...

Old
03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
bingo...

do you recall hearing anything about Gauthier being "furious" for not being consulted despite a very expensive pro player coming our way?

Timmins let his frustration over that decision come out, either Gauthier was on board, or is too much of a coward to speak his mind... either way, doesn't reflect positively on him
What does "speaking your mind" in public going to accimplish other than piss off your boss?

How many of you at your little day job will go to the papers to complain about your boss's decisions? Where did you read taht Timmins publically said he was against the trade when it happened?

Seriously, sometime I question what planet some posters on here are living on.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Toastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Sending Gomez to the AHL is much more of an owners decision than a GM one. Of course Gauthier would want to ship him to Hamilton. The hard part is convincing his employer to spit on $10M.

Molson is probably a good businesman. Good businesmen do NOT waste $10M on sweet phoque all.
He's wasting more money by keeping Gomez in Montreal. The fans don't want him anymore.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:29 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
bingo...

Actually to play your game, Timmins was able to voice his opinion at the draft, where he use to do pre draft interviewers with the media (no longer under PG), where as PG never had any interviews as Pro Scout/Ast GM.

When he became GM he was asked if he was behind any of the moves, and he simply said that it was Bob's say in all the moves all the moves.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:

Not sure if serious...

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:08 PM
shamrun

If this is true then then habs can send him to the minors without remorse. Seeing how we offered him a chance to stay in this league.

Last edited by shamrun: 03-06-2012 at 05:14 PM.
shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiram View Post
Dave Stubbs asked Gomez about it

Dave Stubbs ‏ @habsinsideout1
As for #Habs Gomez killing a trade to Islanders, as per a media report? Gomez tells me "I never heard of any deal"
What do you want Gomez to say? Ya,I refused to go to the Islanders? He would be villafied and treated even worse than he is now by us fans. I believe their is some substance to this story.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:

As for #Habs Gomez killing a trade to Islanders, as per a media report? Gomez tells me "I never heard of any deal"
He would not admit it anyway, like if he said : Yes I did vote against the trade, I am happy and wanted here !

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:23 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
What do you want Gomez to say? Ya,I refused to go to the Islanders? He would be villafied and treated even worse than he is now by us fans. I believe their is some substance to this story.
I think its a rehash of the trade of a year ago. This all started with the other locked thread that was a rehash of that trade a year ago.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Zorba

Its a moot point now anyway.He is gone at years end. We should be grateful. playing him has allowed us to finally get a lottery pick! HOORAY

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:27 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Slow news day, and there's a game tonight.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb

QMI. Enough said.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
He's wasting more money by keeping Gomez in Montreal. The fans don't want him anymore.
They don't, but they are not significantly changing their ways. The Habs do not want Kaberle but Molson isn't losing money over it.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:49 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Who was head of pro scouting during the year Gomez was acquired? Who lived in the NYC area during that period.

Gauthier.
Do you really think Gainey never saw Gomez play.

If you are on a witch hunt, fine... but at least try be credible.

Gauthier has made some horrible moves. This one was Gainey's. He saw Gomez and miscalculated. No sane GM would make a trade with that much money and that many prospects included without doing his own due diligence.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Gauthier sucks. He should have put a gun to Gomez's head to make him go to New York.
#FireGAUTHIER

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Gauthier sucks. He should have put a gun to Gomez's head to make him go to New York.
#FireGAUTHIER
Pfft, he'd still be a cowardly vegan.

He should have killed Gomez. With his bare hands. If your GM can't commit to watching the life go out in his victims eyes as he strangles them, how can you trust him to make a trade?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:20 PM
onice

Quote:

As for #Habs Gomez killing a trade to Islanders, as per a media report? Gomez tells me I never heard of a deal"
That's because when Gauthier called him into the office to tell him he was traded, Gomez put his hands on his ears and began yelling, "La la la la la la la la." Something like this

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I'm wasting my time, but hey, just for fun.

You know what's the funniest thing? His on-ice shooting percentage actually DID regress to the mean exactly as predicted. His on-ice save percentage actually cratered though (it was equal to Plekanec's last year) but under Martin, the Habs didn't score fewer goals 5-on-5 than they did with, say, Plekanec instead.

So why no 60 points? Well, the Corsi-based analysis failed to predict that he'd get hurt three times, that the PP would bomb, and that the coach would design a system that's explicitly designed to forego the greatest strength of his game (carrying the puck through the neutral zone), and use him as a winger before demoting him to the fourth line. And using him more on the PP (where he's never been great before) than at ES (which has always been his strength) in a dysfunctional system that's killing everyone's 5-on-5.

He is really not doing well under Cunneyworth. Now, all the Habs are hurting under RC, but Gomez has done especially poorly, part which should be laid at the feet of the player... but only part.

As for the story, I don't believe it for a second. For one thing I don't think the Habs intended to get rid of Gomez at all, unless they managed to sign Brad Richards. For another, Gomez can specify three teams he does not want to be traded to. I suppose the Islanders are dysfunctional enough that they could conceivably be on that list, but still...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:28 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb View Post

qmi. Enough said.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
onice

Quote:

Math Man, is that you?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Do you really think Gainey never saw Gomez play.

If you are on a witch hunt, fine... but at least try be credible.

Gauthier has made some horrible moves. This one was Gainey's. He saw Gomez and miscalculated. No sane GM would make a trade with that much money and that many prospects included without doing his own due diligence.
Gainey barely did any leg work on any moves. Gauthier did most of the work when it came to pro moves.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Valois

"Scott, do you like the Islanders?"
"Not really, Pierre"
"Oh, okay"
"Wait, why?"
"No reason."

See, he could still have not heard of the deal. Definitely legit.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What does "speaking your mind" in public going to accimplish other than piss off your boss?

How many of you at your little day job will go to the papers to complain about your boss's decisions? Where did you read taht Timmins publically said he was against the trade when it happened?

Seriously, sometime I question what planet some posters on here are living on.
it's not about "going public" directly... obviously neither timmins nor any guy wanting to keep his job is going to publicly call out his boss. Players sometimes get away with it, but staff is another situation all together.

Timmins let his frustrations be known in a way that eventually made it's way into the public domain... but look at that, still has a job.

You can express yourself, shrewdly, without coming into open conflict with your boss... it's called covering your own arse. Better than then let your boss make poor decisions that reflect badly on you & your role, and come across as a kowtowing "yes-man" or being guilty by association.

being a yes-man, working a job you hate for a boss you hate, and otherwise living life with your tail firmly tucked between your legs can keep you gainfully employed... some just find a way to make a living without sacrificing their self-respect.