HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman's injury could be the best thing that happened

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2004, 12:25 PM
NYRangers

vCash: 500
Jessiman's injury could be the best thing that happened

...as long as it doesn't linger.

Quote:
"It's basically like 10 weeks I have ahead of me, and after that, another four weeks of rehab,'' Jessiman said last night. "I basically explained to them that if you think the whole thing will take 16 weeks, I'll be back in 12-13 weeks. I want to accelerate the rehab process.''

Jessiman added he would definitely be able to start next season even if he cannot make it back in time either for Dartmouth's regular-season finale Feb. 26 or for postseason play.
He also goes on to say he is going to take this time to work out even more. Like he did throughout the summer.

After rehab and all he should be ready to play in games at the end of Febuary/Early March. Dartmouth plays their last game the 26th and even if they make the playoffs (they don't look good now) they wont be there for long.

Knowing how NY teams operate I have a feeling Hugh will suit up for the Pack this season. The Mets rushed back Reyes last year to play in trhe final week of the season. I could see a smilar situation here. At the begining of March the latest he will be good to go and Dartmouth wont be playing. Yet Hartford has 26 games left PLUS playoffs (16 games last year).

So I could seeing him pulling a prolonged experience like Pock had with the Rangers last season. He could sign and play in around 42 games (with how long they should be in the playoffs). Equaling what he would have played in Dartmouth. He would be playing in a better league with a supporting cast where he wont be the big guy (no pun intended) that everyones watching out for. AND he can gain playoff experience.

Not only is this situation possible. But I have a feeling it's likely.

Old
11-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Fletch

I think that...

if Hugh had not been injured, he still would've been in a Hartford uniform for the playoffs, at the latest, and thus that probably would've been the best thing for him. An injury is never the best thing, especially for a 20 year old coming off a down year looking to improve on his way to the next level. His approach and attitude towards it seems to be what you'd expect from a kid who's dedicated to becoming the best he can.

Old
11-11-2004, 12:47 PM
in the hall

it gets more ridiculous! how is an injury specially one like this a good thing?

Old
11-11-2004, 12:51 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
it gets more ridiculous! how is an injury specially one like this a good thing?
Why do you feel to call my opinion ridiculous? If it doesnt linger he could play up to 50 games with the Wolfpack. Its obvious its a better hockey situation for him then Dartmouth. While hes hurt he said hes going to train like he did in NYC.

Old
11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Why do you feel to call my opinion ridiculous? If it doesnt linger he could play up to 50 games with the Wolfpack. Its obvious its a better hockey situation for him then Dartmouth. While hes hurt he said hes going to train like he did in NYC.
because that opinion is ridiculous

if it doesn't linger? he tore a ligament, that is bad, those injuries always linger
have you ever sprained your ankle? try flexing it, you can feel the difference in strength, it's not the same

his problem also is not physically it's on the ice, him not playing hurts his development

Last edited by in the hall: 11-11-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old
11-11-2004, 01:19 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
because that opinion is ridiculous

if it doesn't linger? he tore a ligament, that is bad, those injuries always linger
have you ever sprained your ankle? try flexing it, you can feel the difference in strength, it's not the same

his problem also is not physically it's on the ice, him not playing hurts his development
Your not even worth the time.

Old
11-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Levitate

i wouldn't call it the "best thing" but it's not the end of the world...yes in this case i would like to see him in hartford when he recovers and that could benefit him, but i don't think it's the best thing that could have happened...

Old
11-11-2004, 01:25 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i wouldn't call it the "best thing" but it's not the end of the world...yes in this case i would like to see him in hartford when he recovers and that could benefit him, but i don't think it's the best thing that could have happened...
Of course I was exaggerating to ge the point through but I agree. People are talking as if its the end of the world for him.

Old
11-11-2004, 01:26 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Would he not have been able to play for the Wolfpack after the Dartmouth season was over if he wasn't injured? If the answer is "yes, he would have", then yes, it is rediculous to say his injury is a good thing.

Sure, playing in Hartford might be better for his development than Dartmouth, but he would have had that opportunity even if he wasn't injured and had to miss the season with Dartmouth.

Old
11-11-2004, 01:28 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Before the ligament heals, Hugh will not be able to work the injured part of the ankle at all. That will cause the muscles controlling the ankle to get weaker. He will have to get through several weeks of physical therapy just to get normal strength back in the ankle *after* the injury itself heals. After that, he'll have to regain the coordination in the joint, which could take a little while, too.

I don't think this is the end of the world, no, but this injury will probably linger for a bit.

Old
11-11-2004, 01:37 PM
NYR469

maybe i'm not following you, but i can't see how you can call a potentially season ending injury the 'best thing'

its fortunate news that the injury won't have any lasting effects, but the 'best thing' would be for him to not be hurt at all.

as for him signing with hartford at the end of the season to turn pro, he isn't going to turn pro simply because he got hurt. if he turns pro at the end of the season then he would have done it regardless...

so how is missing the entire college season and then finishing the year in hartford better then playing the entire college season and then finishing the year in hartford?

Old
11-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Fletch

How do you figure he'll get into 50 'Pack games...

without the injury, he probably could've gotten into 5-10 'Pack games, depending on when/if he was signed and when Dartmouth's season ended. He won't be ready to go until sometime in February. There are 22 games from the beginning of March. 32 games from the beginning of February. So the net doesn't come near 50 (of course you didn't say net, but I do since it is relevant). Further, the guy's never played in a pro game. Wouldn't there be a huge adjustement for Hugh to make the jump to the AHL from the ECAC after not playing for 3+ months?

Again, I understand where you're getting at, but you're going at it all the wrong way, in my opinion. His decision was to stay in college, for studies, but perhaps more likely was he wasn't ready for the travel and the higher level of play just yet. And the worst thing to do to a yoot is to throw them to the wolves when they're not ready as their confidence gets shattered and it could be irreversible, or at a minimum, detrimental.

Old
11-11-2004, 01:43 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
without the injury, he probably could've gotten into 5-10 'Pack games, depending on when/if he was signed and when Dartmouth's season ended. He won't be ready to go until sometime in February. There are 22 games from the beginning of March. 32 games from the beginning of February. So the net doesn't come near 50 (of course you didn't say net, but I do since it is relevant). Further, the guy's never played in a pro game. Wouldn't there be a huge adjustement for Hugh to make the jump to the AHL from the ECAC after not playing for 3+ months?

Again, I understand where you're getting at, but you're going at it all the wrong way, in my opinion. His decision was to stay in college, for studies, but perhaps more likely was he wasn't ready for the travel and the higher level of play just yet. And the worst thing to do to a yoot is to throw them to the wolves when they're not ready as their confidence gets shattered and it could be irreversible, or at a minimum, detrimental.
he is including playoff games...i haven't checked the schedules but he is saying that the pack have 26 regular season games left after dartmouth's season ended and they played 16 playoff games last year. so if Jessiman plays those final 26 regular season games and then plays in the 16 or so playoff games depending on how far they go, that would give him 42 AHL games.

Old
11-11-2004, 02:23 PM
in the hall

Quote:
what you really mean is you aren't able to counter my response

what a joke of a post that was

Old
11-11-2004, 02:27 PM
packfan

"if it doesn't linger? he tore a ligament, that is bad, those injuries always linger
have you ever sprained your ankle? try flexing it, you can feel the difference in strength, it's not the same"

This is completely wrong. I've had about 9 ankle injuries. 4 on one, 5 on the other. Many were fluke and involved ligament tears. Those injuries don't linger at all in many cases. They strength is also better after rehab in many cases.

Many ligament injuries come from people simply not building up the proper strength thru training. I had very weak ankles and never did jack about it. Then I started to work out improving my ankle strength. I had one injury in the last 20 years on my ankles.

Old
11-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan
This is completely wrong. I've had about 9 ankle injuries. 4 on one, 5 on the other. Many were fluke and involved ligament tears. Those injuries don't linger at all in many cases. They strength is also better after rehab in many cases.

Many ligament injuries come from people simply not building up the proper strength thru training. I had very weak ankles and never did jack about it. Then I started to work out improving my ankle strength. I had one injury in the last 20 years on my ankles.
What exercises can one person do to build up ankle strength? Squats, Hammer presses, and running?

Another thing, not sure if I'm getting at anything tho. When someone hurts something in their lower body, such as Hugh hurting his ankle, he wont be able to work out that area. So how is working out so great when he might only be doing upper body workouts? We dont want a monkey-type hockey player, which is what he'd be if just doing upper, so he shouldnt be doing so much. And hockey is all about lower body...

Old
11-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Fletch

After any injury...

especially one in which requires surgery and entails a person to do extensive rehab, something will always linger. For a period, there's often tentativeness. There's always that fear of hurting it again, especially if it's your first major injury.

Thanks NYR469...I guess my one point was unfair because to me it's the net number of games he'd play that's more meaningful, which would be a good deal less even if he had not gotten injured.

Old
11-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Prucha73

Quote:

lol, in the other Jessiman thread you called my opinion ridiculous and now you are crying when you got a taste of your own medicine.

Old
11-11-2004, 03:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Everyone please get the thread back on subject, and stop the mud slinging.

Old
11-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Prucha73

Quote:

He is right though, the injury itself does nothing good for his development, what matters is what he does with his free time now, if he rehabs like a madman and builds up his frame to 230-240 pounds that could be a plus, but it does not outweigh the negative of such an injury and missing most of the season.

Old
11-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Fletch

I doubt he'll gain much weight...

I assume that with this injury his workout on his legs will be somewhat limited. He may experience some muscle loss (which could be significant) in his legs and lower back which could offset somewhat muscle gains elsewhere.

Old
11-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Levitate

i bet they'll have him working out in the pools and things like that to help keep his lower body muscles from losing much

can't exactly do a lot of easy weightlifting on your lower body with an ankle injury but he can do those no-impact workouts in the water to keep the muscles in shape

Old
11-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Prucha73

I am sure he can work on his arms, chest, stomach without too much problem.

Old
11-11-2004, 03:53 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i bet they'll have him working out in the pools and things like that to help keep his lower body muscles from losing much

can't exactly do a lot of easy weightlifting on your lower body with an ankle injury but he can do those no-impact workouts in the water to keep the muscles in shape

I dont think they have that type of workouts at the college. At the Rangers Facility they do but i doubt it for a college. (Water workouts)

Old
11-11-2004, 03:56 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
what you really mean is you aren't able to counter my response

what a joke of a post that was
Im not going to name call. Thats just childish. I dont see why you can't just have a civilized conversaition.

Closed Thread