HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul Being Overlooked??

Old
03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 500
Lupul Being Overlooked??

Lupul is currently 6th in scoring in the NHL. He's been consistent all year and he made the All-Star game. But I think a lot of people are overlooking him for the 2014 Team Canada roster. I'm not saying he's going to make it, or he should make it over all the talent that the team already will have. But can we atleast expect him to get an invitation for the camp? Maybe if he can get healthy will he play for them at the World Championships this year? What would it take for Lupul to make the 2014 roster? Another 2 seasons of Top 10 finishes in scoring? Obviously, now that he is injured, he won't finish this year in top 10, but it doesn't look like he will be far off.

So what does Lupul have to do to get consideration for Team Canada? Obviously having another great season next year will help, but what else?

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:58 AM
IBeL13f
There Is Pain Coming

At least one more year as an elite point-producer is probably necessary. If he does play at the World Championship this year (I'm sure he'll be invited at least), that will probably help, not to mention winning the Masterton would look great on his resume.

IBeL13f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
At least one more year as an elite point-producer is probably necessary. If he does play at the World Championship this year (I'm sure he'll be invited at least), that will probably help, not to mention winning the Masterton would look great on his resume.
Do you think the Leafs would let him play in the World Championships coming off a separated shoulder? I'm implying the Leafs don't make the playoffs, Lupul doesn't play another game this season, is it possible he goes to the World Championships to test his shoulder out? Make sure he's healing properly and if not, go back to the drawing board and have a whole summer to rest up?

Old
03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Eb
TML

There has been no talk about the 2014 Olympics so its impossible for him to get looked over. Although they did talk a little a couple days ago when Yzerman was chosen again.

However, needs another good season next year and the year after. Seems pretty self-explantory.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:03 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
There has been no talk about the 2014 Olympics so its impossible for him to get looked over. Although they did talk a little a couple days ago when Yzerman was chosen again.

However, needs another good season next year and the year after. Seems pretty self-explantory.
TSN has done a few teams for the Olympics already. They did a That's Hockey 2 Night episode completely devoted to it during the All-Star break. No one even mentioned Lupul's name even though at the time he was top 3 in scoring.

Old
03-08-2012, 09:05 AM
KuleminFan41

Its too far away though but if Mccabe can make it then I think Lupul can as well

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Christ

2014 is still a long way off and this is the first season where Lupul has looked to be a player capible of playing on Team Canada. No one knows for sure whether the play that we have seen from Lupul this season is an indication of what he will do in the future or if this season is nothing more than a flash in the pan kind of year. If he performs like he did this season, next year as well, I believe he will warrent at least an invite to camp from Team Canada.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

He needs to repeat the same performance next year to be a consideration. It also depends on the makeup Yzerman wants for the team. I can only see Lupul being in the top 6, which is a difficult position for Lupul as there is lots of other talent out there. Players like Ignila are more flexible as they can play a 3rd line checking role or a top forward role.

I don't like Lupul's chances at cracking the lineup, but hope to see Kessel, Gardiner, Grabovsky in the tournament.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

If Lupul repeats as a top 6 scorer in the LEAGUE.

Back to back top 6 in league has to be at least top 6 on an all Canadian roster.

But I don't see him being top 6 again.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:47 AM
calcal798

He's having a career year. I expect next year his production will drop down a bit, I can see him being a 65 point player next year. Definitely a great top six forward for us to have now and in the future.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Darkhorse1280

Digressing a little, but does anyone think that Lupul would be the centerpiece of any deal involving Rick Nash this summer? Would Burke part with him in order to get Nash? Would Howson take a chance on him on his last year of his contract?

Thoughts?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
Digressing a little, but does anyone think that Lupul would be the centerpiece of any deal involving Rick Nash this summer? Would Burke part with him in order to get Nash? Would Howson take a chance on him on his last year of his contract?

Thoughts?
Since Burke acquired Kessel, there have been a revolving door of players to play alongside Kessel and the reason for that is that because none of them worked out. Burke is clearly looking to complete a top line and Kessel is the centrepiece of that line. A LW and Centre would have to compliment Kessel. In a puzzle of 3, I think Burke found his 2nd piece. I think it would be counterproductive to give away the 2nd piece so that he can get the 3rd piece. In the end, he'll still be missing a piece to his puzzle. I guess my preference is that he not be involved in a deal to get a centre because Lupul with Kessel has proven that they can produce just as well as any other top offensive duo that has a legit first line centre.

I wouldn't say a lack of a number one centre is what did this team in. I would say it's a lack of attention to defense that is the culprit. If the team employed a more defensive minded system that didn't expose the backend and/or if we had one or two different guys on D, this team would be a top 8 team right now. The team would possibly be sitting in a comfortable 5-6 spot or just might be able to challenge for the NE division. The Leafs have lost far too many one goal games in regulation and lost much needed loser points at the very least. They have unnecessarily given up leads in games by their constant push for offense when a 2-3 goal lead in a game should shift game strategy to being more conservative, shouldn't matter if you're up 3 goals in the first period. You play the next two a bit more conservatively by limiting pinching D men, taking away space in the neutral zone and defending the slot in their zone.

What sucks more is that an OT match up of 4 on 4 hockey could favour the Leafs against several other teams in the league due to how incredibly fast they are so even getting to an OT set up gives the Leafs a better than average chance of getting the extra point.

Last edited by Ari91: 03-08-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:19 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

Thoughts?
Make Kessel the center piece and keep Lupul.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

He'll likely regress. He would of put up 80 points this season likely if he were healthy. However, I see him in the 65-75 point area if he stays on the top line with us.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Myke

As people have said, if he can continue this pace next season then he would definitely have a shot. But he needs to prove this wasn't a fluke of a season.

Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:33 AM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

It's too early to talk about 2014 Olympics. If he repeats this season and is having a good season in the Olympic year, he should make it. But it's all hypothetical, obviously.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

I think if Lupul can repeat 65-70+ points season next year, he'll be a lock. From G&M article, the LW depth for team Canada is:

LW: Corey Perry, Eric Staal, Jeff Skinner, Matt Duchene, Taylor Hall, Logan Couture.

He can definitely fit in there somewhere. Team Canada has very few players who play natural LW, and Lupul has been amazing so far.

For this season, highest scoring LW, from highest to lowest points are:
Lupul, Neal, Whitney, Hartnell, Moulson, Sharp, Marleau, Benn, Hall, Lucic, E. Kane.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Why put him there when we can just move a center to the wing.

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

one good year doesn't = team canada. im not a homer and i wish lupul makes it cause i love watching canadians on team canada but points dont always make the best teams, chemistry does. Hopefully lupul can continue what he is doing and become that dominant LW we all want him to be.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Let me just use a comparison of how much we aren't homers..

Habs fans think Deharnais could come close to making Team Canada...

Old
03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
montel*

Lupul won't even get consideration to carry the water bottles. 0% chance of playing for team Canada. Won't even get mentioned.

montel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Burke the Legend

People gotta remember how hard it is to crack team canada. B. Richards didn't make it even during consecutive 90 point seasons, neither did V. Lecavalier, consistent PPG+ all star. It's possible of course if he keeps in top 10 the next 2 seasons but don't get too excited.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:00 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
ThreeHundred

I doubt Lupul makes it when comparing him to the talent on the 2010 team. He needs another big year next year

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote