HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Whistles in the Pocket

Old
03-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Whistles in the Pocket

I'm sure this has been mentioned in many recent threads on here, but wondering if anyone has any theories as to why the league has gone back to putting the whistles in the pockets lately. After all the bluster of making it a faster, more entertaining game with less holding, hocking, etc, it seems like with the playoffs coming up, there is a complete change in the way games are called. Must be really frustrating for many of the players, but the slugs that live to hang on must be lovin' it.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Phaser

I think its a trial run to see if this brings down concussions. It has to be league mandated, thats the only thing that can explain the huge differences in what is being called from the beginning of the year to now

Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:16 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
I think its a trial run to see if this brings down concussions. It has to be league mandated, thats the only thing that can explain the huge differences in what is being called from the beginning of the year to now
Yup. I was thinking the same thing.

I bet head injuries will be a hot topic while negotiating the new CBA. There isn't a better time to test out a modern day "dead puck era" than now in the league's eyes, I would think.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:23 PM
ponokanocker

USA viewers don't like all the breaks in play from the penalties called?

I don't see the connection to concussions or what it has to do with the CBA.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post

??? Explain this to me, please. Have you watched the NFL...ever?

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:29 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
I'm an NFL fan, so yes, I do watch the games. More penalties also makes the game more NBA'ish with play just sitting in one zone so much. With NHL more of a niche sport in the USA, maybe those fans don't want to see the game look like the other major sports in the USA. Its just a crazy theory as I don't see a reason why the NHL would do it. I would have thought they would want the number of goals to go up.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:31 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post

-more holding/hooking/interference = slower game = less concussions.

-NHLPA might demand better player safety during CBA talks. League is trying to experiment with it now to see if it's a viable strategy.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:35 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

-NHLPA might demand better player safety during CBA talks. League is trying to experiment with it now to see if it's a viable strategy.
Well I could see that. Still, the holding of the stick in tight places and sticks getting slashed in half aren't explained by this though.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

at the same time though, more crosschecks to the face = more concussions. I can certainly see why they'd experiment with less holding calls, the rest has me wondering

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Rawg
CEM

My theory is they want to get teams used to playoff hockey so the league doesnt have teams complaining about it in the post season.. These games sure seemed to be reffed like the playoffs

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
yukoner88

I'm ok with this, especially with playoff hockey. Games where you have to dig deep and fight for each goal and fight for every inch of the ice fun to watch. If the games are called like this in the playoffs we'll get to see some epic battles again and maybe a game that goes more than 2 ot periods.

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:30 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

The whistles are out in Vancouver tonight with the Canucks having no trouble embellishing to get calls.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
I was thinking that as well haha. Like have u watched MLB, NBA, NFL?

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:00 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
at the same time though, more crosschecks to the face = more concussions. I can certainly see why they'd experiment with less holding calls, the rest has me wondering
My thoughts exactly. Even gloves/punches to the face seem to go ignored as well.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Alex87

Quote:

They should look in the mirror then. Players don't have enough respect for each other and aren't ready to take responsibility for their actions. The Carcillo hit on Gilbert or the Hartnell knee on Paajarvi demonstrate that, for some guys at least, they don't really care about their opponent's well being. Penalties and fines should be stiffer, and injuries that result away from the play on penalties should get an automatic look from the league.

Last edited by Alex87: 03-03-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Beerfish

Yeah it would be nice if the league actualluy told the players and fans of their hidden agendas instead of having both players and fans having no clue what is a penalty in this league and what isn't.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:49 AM
SilverHaireDevil

when Canadian teams play teams that are struggling financially who also happen to be bubble playoff teams whistles go away, all other games are being handled normally

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 06:44 AM
oilphan

If this is the case, it is not good for us and the way our team is built.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
If this is the case, it is not good for us and the way our team is built.
Ya, perfect. We finally get a PP that produces and this happens.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Ya, perfect. We finally get a PP that produces and this happens.
So true. when our PK and PP were ranked 31/30 penalties were being handed out like acid at a Grateful Dead concert.
Now that we have the #1 PP and a decent PK the refs decide to swallow their whistles.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
I'm ok with this, especially with playoff hockey. Games where you have to dig deep and fight for each goal and fight for every inch of the ice fun to watch. If the games are called like this in the playoffs we'll get to see some epic battles again and maybe a game that goes more than 2 ot periods.
I guess if you like slow, boring, no skill hockey. It allows the knuckle draggers of the league to control the game and drastically brings down the skill level. It's more football like to fight for every inch of space and the largest, strongest knuckle dragger wins. The Oilers, for one, aren't built that way and if that's the future, they and many other teams will have to change the makeup of their teams and the Halls/Eberles/Gagners and RNH's of the league will be in Europe or not playing at all.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
when Canadian teams play teams that are struggling financially who also happen to be bubble playoff teams whistles go away, all other games are being handled normally
Sure seemed like this when we played Dallas the other night. Just brutal. Hall tripped pretty clearly twice in the first couple minutes and not an eyelash was batted.

/nohomer

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
I guess if you like slow, boring, no skill hockey. It allows the knuckle draggers of the league to control the game and drastically brings down the skill level. It's more football like to fight for every inch of space and the largest, strongest knuckle dragger wins. The Oilers, for one, aren't built that way and if that's the future, they and many other teams will have to change the makeup of their teams and the Halls/Eberles/Gagners and RNH's of the league will be in Europe or not playing at all.
Kind of like how the Kurris/Gretzkys/Andersons were relegated to Europe during the 80s and 90s?

Clutching and grabbing was always an accepted part of the game. Unless you're taking away a scoring chance, there's no need for little hooks and holds to be getting penalized. The guys in your avatar were able to dig deep and overcome it, and so should players today.

The Toronto media's incessent whining and complaining about it in the late 90s/early 2000s finally led the league to crack down, and powerplays have been handed out like candy the last few years. Hopefully we're shifting back to normalcy and games will be decided at even strength not on special teams. The Bruins and their excellent 5-on-5 play beating the PP-reliant Canucks last year was refreshing.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Meh, it doesn't matter to me. As long as it's more or less an evenly called game.

Calls will be missed every game and yes there are some bad ones that get missed, but it's happening to both teams on most nights.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Kind of like how the Kurris/Gretzkys/Andersons were relegated to Europe during the 80s and 90s?

Clutching and grabbing was always an accepted part of the game. Unless you're taking away a scoring chance, there's no need for little hooks and holds to be getting penalized. The guys in your avatar were able to dig deep and overcome it, and so should players today.

The Toronto media's incessent whining and complaining about it in the late 90s/early 2000s finally led the league to crack down, and powerplays have been handed out like candy the last few years. Hopefully we're shifting back to normalcy and games will be decided at even strength not on special teams. The Bruins and their excellent 5-on-5 play beating the PP-reliant Canucks last year was refreshing.
And they were the same ones to complain when teams started getting double digit PP chances a game.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote