HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tremblay: Gauthier Running Habs like KGB

Old
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
EXPOS123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
What was the point of that article?

He's complaining about getting information from an NHL Team?

Let's be brutally honest here. PGGM, well, he should be fired, he's made some questionable moves to be nice. But really...gonzo at the end of the year.

But his "cone of silence" if you will came about for a good reason (I think). Because the media is f' N crazy! They sniff around and try to find any kind of morsel that can be framed as "news" then proceed to blow it out of proportion.

I can't blame PGGM for not wanting that crap hanging around his team. Even taking the brunt of the heat from the press.

These kinds of articles are personal attacks and have no buisiness being published. They aren't giving the fans any facts or relevant details. Just personal grudges. Even Red Fisher dislikes this tactic bt he's able to write a daily article on the Habs without resorting to this crud every other day.

Should Gauthier be fired...YES. But not because he doesn't talk to the press. But because his job as GM has been substandard.
Couldn't agree more. How quick we are to forget the days when the media(especially the french media) had a great influence over management decisions. I'll never forget the photo of Bertrand Raymond hunched over in the stands speaking to Jacques Demers in his ear during a practice -almost like he was telling him what to do or giving him gossip. Or how it almost seemed that trades were made by following the suggestions of the french media. This was especially true during the Ronald Corey reign. It has calmed since, but what has replaced it has been the media trying to dig up any kind of crap to disrupt the team. If anything, Gauthier is guilty of going too far the other way, but it had to be done. He still should be fired though, but not because of his wall of secracy.

EXPOS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:22 PM
PATCHESx67

the Kabs trade wasnt bad at all,the habs can trade him this summer for more then wat we gaved,only trade that pissed me off was Akost for 2nd + 5th but again NSH overpaid for Gill,Markov signing was a must also,hes a top Dman in the league sure some can argue about the years or money but he was a UFA so Gauthier didnt have all the power in those negociations.He's made good and bad moves and obviously we're sitting dead last in the East,if Molson has a better option elsewhere of course take it and run but remember this is montreal and the next guy in line will be in this exact same position once the habs lose a few games

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:28 PM
blueinmtl

We're last place. LAST. Possibly 2nd worst in the league in a couple of days - and I know who I'd bet on if we played the BJ's tomorrow. I watch the game and see a dearth of talent like a chasm to oblivion. It is incredible.

Whatever one wants to debate about individual moves by PG, the collective result - the hockey team being iced this season - is LAST. Results talk, especially in sports.

The fact that he evidently has no clue what the team is as a sort of cultural entity makes the on-ice job appear even worse. There is such a grim feeling of corporate remoteness surrounding the Habs, and the feeling persists. PG is a huge contributor to this.

Unloved, unwanted, soon to be unemployed.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
blueinmtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
the Kabs trade wasnt bad at all,the habs can trade him this summer for more then wat we gaved,only trade that pissed me off was Akost for 2nd + 5th but again NSH overpaid for Gill,Markov signing was a must also,hes a top Dman in the league sure some can argue about the years or money but he was a UFA so Gauthier didnt have all the power in those negociations.He's made good and bad moves and obviously we're sitting dead last in the East,if Molson has a better option elsewhere of course take it and run but remember this is montreal and the next guy in line will be in this exact same position once the habs lose a few games
I highly doubt at the time PG was thinking of summertime trade value. Absolutely the wrong trade at the worst time. Nonsensical. Love to see what kind of GM will trade for Kaberle in the offseason as well, maybe Snow and Howson are the only two I could think of to be so shortsighted.

Why start the trade day off with the AK deal, I'll never understand why he didn't hold out until later in the day.

Cammalleri, the timing of it just makes it seem too much like a petulant act of revenge for the comments for this to be coincidence. Granted could be wrong. Pulling him like they did showed zero commitment to that thing there, what is it...oh yeah, winning.

When it was obvious Markov was going to be out, you can't keep going with the paperweight d corps we had at the time. You just can't. That is grossly unfair to the coaching staff.

Horrible GM, we are last place, we look like garbage outside of 1st line, Plex, Eller & PK Price Gorges. That's 8 guys.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Hugo Sham

sound familiar?

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr...rts/sp-pucin20

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:57 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Yes. But don't tell posters on this board who think he only acts like he does because of the media pressure in Montreal.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

The quicker this moron Gauthier gets fired, the quicker the Habs organization can get back on track.

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
No it's just the Montreal media that make things up!!!!

Loved this line

He tended to make statements that weren't true He still does!!!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Really nice article there.

Why did we hired him? **** that.

SnapVirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Really nice article there.

Why did we hired him? **** that.
Gainey basically gave him the job and Molson probably trusted Gainey's decision. Now he better get rid of both of them

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:13 PM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
I don't get this point of view at all. What's the point of following a sports team at all if it isn't to have some enjoyment? And who's enjoying Gauthier's handiwork right now?

Fans are unhappy.

Players are unhappy.
Shareholders are unhappy.
Apparently employees are unhappy as well.

Good job Gauthier?

I am a fan and I am happy. Opinions / personal feelings are not proof. Too many opinions, not enough facts from a lot of posters.

I feel this is HF boards:

Poster A: I think this is right. You are dumb for thinking differently. When I watch "dangleschuck" I know hes going to be a 100 point player.

Poster B: I don't feel he is going to reach that high, when I watch "dangleschuck" I know hes going to be a 20 point player

Poster A: Really? god "Insert person team he cheers for" fans are such homers take off the homer glasses.

Poster B: Right remember what your fans did in 1937 when my grandmother was at the game, disrespectful fans and classless city.

It is like back and forth fighting with no facts what so ever, both people thinking they are right and all either have said is their opinions rehashed 8 different ways. Add in a "what ill bump this thread 3 year later" moment and it wins the gold. Even if you said something 3 years ago, it is still meaningless 3 years later if you didn't add anything to support your claims. (opinion doesn't count)

danisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:15 PM
LyricalLyricist

Not sure if it was said or not but Bobbymac said he doubts PG is back.

TSN 990 mentioned this article.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:15 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
OMG what a treasure! He hasn't changed a bit, yet the Habs still hired him.

Here are some of the most telling quotes from the article that are directly applicable to Montreal:

- Markov anyone?
Quote:
He tended to make statements that weren't true, in the sense that soon after he'd said something wouldn't happen, it happened.
- He lives in Burlington, VT and no one can get a word out of his edgewise. Does he even show up to the office?
Quote:
He was not part of the community in any noticeable way. He was anonymous.
- For the first time in a decade, hasn't the attendance been dropping for Mtl games too?
Quote:
Attendance dropped continuously during Gauthier's time here.
- This playoff quote is probably only applicable to this yr's season, but to be fair PG only started putting his own mark on the team as of last year. Let's kick him out now before he makes it 3 straight.
Quote:
Since the Ducks sneaked into the playoffs during Gauthier's first season, they have missed postseason play three straight times. The last two seasons, the playoffs weren't even a dream by December.
- Sound familiar?
Quote:
When Gauthier came to Anaheim, he said he had a plan. It would take three or four years of wise drafting and astute scouting. But with Kariya and Selanne as the base, what Duck fans would get would be a team built for longevity and several years of playoff success.

What they got was a team that grew progressively worse.
As it turns out, once PG was fired the scouting and drafting got better and it ended with a Stanley Cup for Anaheim. Hopefully the story will end the same for Montreal once we can this guy.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Beakermania*

The year after Gauthier was fired in Anaheim. A team that was 90% players he acquired (including the conn smythe trophy winner) went to the Stanley Cup Finals and lost in 7 games. Must've been horrible to leave behind all those crappy players. I guess his team got progressively worse.

Hatchet job on an outgoing GM that with hindsight didn't exactly prove true. The team he left was not getting progressively worse.

Also Montreal's attendance has not dropped. Every game is a sellout.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
llamateizer

If he was that bad...
why did the ducks REhired him?

but that article is funny to read. seems deja vu

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
The year after Gauthier was fired in Anaheim. A team that was 90% players he acquired (including the conn smythe trophy winner) went to the Stanley Cup Finals and lost in 7 games. Must've been horrible to leave behind all those crappy players. I guess his team got progressively worse.

Hatchet job on an outgoing GM that with hindsight didn't exactly prove true. The team he left was not getting progressively worse.

Selling out does not necessarily mean that everyone who bought a ticket is attending a game. I've been to a few games this season, and another one soon, I've noticed a marked reduction of attendance in the black-berry levels.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Tremblay is just pissed off because he can't complain about Gauthier being an Anglophone like he did when Gainey was running things.
Not sure what you are trying to say. Tremblay has his own agenda as far as franco players and a franco environment are concerned. I would obviously like to see somewhat of the same thing, though you do have the feeling that RT is obviously way more demanding in that regard. Yet, doesn't matter if the guy is french or english, he bashes everybody who doesn't agree with him no matter the language they speak. He can be crazy. But he is consequently crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If G.Molson needs Tremblay to help him figure out he needs to change management, then we are in deep doodoo.
Tremblay is doing nothing than his usual rant. Unless we hire the guys he actually wants there, then he'll whine some more eventually. And even if we hire a guy he does like, it'll only be a matter of time before he goes on a rant again.The guy is a writer, drama is all he knows.
Again, it's more about the messenger than the message. Remove the franco factor that most people don't agree with here, and MOST posters totally agree with the rest of his article. There some continuous bashing around here and yet when Tremblay does it he whines? Most of us want Gauthier to go, Tremblay wants it and now he's whining? Again, we will go back at hating Tremblay any other day of the week, but that's not a battle we are actually against right now. What is going on with Gauthier and Co is dumb, and not respectful of the fans and the tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
Couldn't agree more. How quick we are to forget the days when the media(especially the french media) had a great influence over management decisions. I'll never forget the photo of Bertrand Raymond hunched over in the stands speaking to Jacques Demers in his ear during a practice -almost like he was telling him what to do or giving him gossip. Or how it almost seemed that trades were made by following the suggestions of the french media. This was especially true during the Ronald Corey reign. It has calmed since, but what has replaced it has been the media trying to dig up any kind of crap to disrupt the team. If anything, Gauthier is guilty of going too far the other way, but it had to be done. He still should be fired though, but not because of his wall of secracy.
What the "journalists" hates is that they are unable to get a meeting right way to write their own columns the day after. That the news is tougher to get than it was before. But where the heck do you, I or any other know that journalists were making the trades for the team? Strangely, we can't believe any stories that journalists are making on players, but now we'll invent stories about how powerful the journalists were? Based on what? The point of the article is that the power trip is not respectful of the fans. At best, if that power trip would have meant a better team, I guess we could haved lived with that. Now that it doesn't, it's bye-bye time. And it's not like Gauthier was around for 1 year. He had plenty of time to do other damages since 2003 in other roles. Yet, a Gauthier firing will NOT be complete if it doesn't mean a Gainey firing as well. Or if Molson can't fire the great Bob, name him an Ambassador.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:02 PM
JackZap

Quote:
favorite part of the article

What they are quickly becoming is invisible.

There's nothing worse for a sports franchise than to be uncared about

JackZap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:

It may be a sellout ticket-wise because scalpers and such buy up all the tickets but it doesn't mean the seats are filled. And for every seat not filled, that's less ppl buying $10 beers and other concessions.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

A case could be made that it was a fluke. They were the 7th seed and that team rode goaltending to the finals. That team came crashing down the following season. Granted, he made a great move in acquiring J-S Gigučre, but that team had hardly the makings of a perennial winner, which showed even more when they lost both Selanne and Kariya to FA.

Now, back to the roster point. I think you're underestimating the roster turnover after his departure considering it involved 2/3rds of a first-line (Sykora, Oates), a top 4 defenseman (Ozolinsh) and some key playoff guys like Niedermayer and Steve Thomas.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:

Past success is fine, but that was the flukiest Stanley Cup playoffs out West ever. Do you think Gauthier and the recently resigned Gainey should get credit for building the top-4 Canadiens of 2009-2010? There is no question that Gauthier makes some decent individual deals, but he hasn't ever been able to implement a long term, sustainable vision. Most of his "vision" is simply reactionary patchwork. Some deals work well, but he has a relatively passive nature based on his deals. I guess the best measure of a GM is league-wide reputation, and Gauthier doesn't have it.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:36 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
I highly doubt at the time PG was thinking of summertime trade value. Absolutely the wrong trade at the worst time. Nonsensical. Love to see what kind of GM will trade for Kaberle in the offseason as well, maybe Snow and Howson are the only two I could think of to be so shortsighted.

Why start the trade day off with the AK deal, I'll never understand why he didn't hold out until later in the day.

Cammalleri, the timing of it just makes it seem too much like a petulant act of revenge for the comments for this to be coincidence. Granted could be wrong. Pulling him like they did showed zero commitment to that thing there, what is it...oh yeah, winning.

When it was obvious Markov was going to be out, you can't keep going with the paperweight d corps we had at the time. You just can't. That is grossly unfair to the coaching staff.

Horrible GM, we are last place, we look like garbage outside of 1st line, Plex, Eller & PK Price Gorges. That's 8 guys.
relax buddy we gaved spacek for him,he was way more useless then Kabs only difference between the two was Jaro's contract ended this summer but so what Kaberle can easily be traded this offseason if the habs dont want him ne more,worst contracts/players got moved in the past.Put it this way PG gets Kabs and he comes to MTL saves the PP and helps us get closer to playoffs then Gauthier looks like a genius,now if the total opposite happens then ******* him and trade him in the summer,whats the big deal ne ways ? we were losing before he got here and was gonna lose spacek this summer ne ways.Another 2nd round pick can be added this summer by trading Kaberle you know

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:10 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
A case could be made that it was a fluke. They were the 7th seed and that team rode goaltending to the finals.
This bears repeating. That 2003 Ducks team didn't just ride goaltending; they rode superhuman goaltending in the form of the highest post season save percentage in NHL history (of goalies that made it clear to the finals). That team simply wasn't built to last, and turned over the majority of its roster before their 2007 Cup run.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

sorry, but that revisionist argument is nothing but B.S...

in 2002-2003, Ducks added:

Sykora (2nd leading scorer, leading goal scorer)
Oates ( 4th leading scorer - leading scorer in the playoffs)
Ozolinsh (#1 Dman, 5th leading scorer)
Thomas ( 7th leading scorer)
R. Niedemayer (23min/game in the playoffs)
K.Sauer (20min/game in playoffs)

6 "new" impact players is a massive difference.

add that kind of impact to our current roster, and we'd have a good chance at being a much better team.

and let's not forget that the 2002-03 ducks team was a bit of a fluke run. They finished 7th in their conference, and road a "lights out" Giguere (.945 sv % in playoffs) into the finals.

a year later, they dropped back to 76pts & missed the playoffs.

oh, and for a 22-23 man roster, 6 new players (and that's only looking at impact players, not guys like Olasson & Ward who didn't have much impact) isn't "90% of the same players", it's less than 75%.

Change 1/4 of this roster, with the 6 new guys being upgrades in the top-6 & top-4, and we're talking about a whole new team.

but beyond the fallacy of your argument... guess what, you could add "10%" to our current roster, and have a cup contending team... all a matter of WHO you add.

add Parise & Suter to our team (2 players of 23 ~10%), and you have an entirely different team... from bottom dweller to cup contender.

amazed how desperate some are to find some way to defend a GM who is terrible at his job, and has been for a long long time.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

amazed how desperate some are to find some way to defend a GM who is terrible at his job, and has been for a long long time.
Same here. I truly don't get the Gauthier apologists. I can understand the Gainey ones since Bob is a legend. But Gauthier? He should never been anything more than a scout.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote