HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SJS Edmonton Post Game Thread and discussion

Old
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
SJS Edmonton Post Game Thread and discussion

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...dmonton-oilers
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...s-to-mclellan/
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/0...-out-of-sharks
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/0...rks-defy-logic

03-07-2012, 10:26 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
TealTownUSA

vCash: 50
where the hell was galiardi in the 3rd?

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:45 AM
do0glas

was he not playing? i didnt notice his absence...thought i saw him out there.

i mean, that first goal was the flukiest crap ive ever seen. when the puck starts bouncing for us a bit more we will start winning. im an optimist and im sticking to it .

the boys put in the work tonight, no one can deny they didnt TRY. makes the loss a bit easier to take, and we got a point, so we kept ourselves in it for the time being.

dallas beating the nucks 5-2 was unexpected, and the kings winning. but phx didnt pull away, and thats the moral of the story.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Is it me or does Niemi scare the crap out of me as a goalie? Anyway we can get a solid goalie at the draft or any other goalie July 1st?

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Niemi was fine last night.

I thought the D made some questionable turnovers though. That 1st goal was a fluke and you can't blame anyone except the hockey gods for that. The second goal was a result of the Sharks not being able to clear the puck (surprise!). Not Niemi's fault.

The Sharks really needed to take advantage of that 5 on 3 and some of those offensive stretches in the 3rd. Dubnyk did have some good saves but the Sharks should be beating teams like these.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:16 AM
TealTownUSA

vCash: 50
all those "it's only 1 game, we'll be fine" games have caught up. precious points are wasted.

if we were a good team, we'd have consistency like det, van, stl. short losing streaks and quick turn arounds. but we're just mediocre with no finishing skills. hard to be optimistic about where this is headed.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:23 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

we need wins not OTLs. i take the point for sure.. we need points.

I did think the team played better last nite, they have to re-learn how to win a close game again, re-gain that confidence and swager, etc.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Lockout Season

Can't pin this one on Niemi or the defense. TMac expects the offense to be able to net 3 goals a game, and while that won't happen every night, it should against the Oilers and Dubnyk...

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:49 AM
bleedteal12

What kills me is that people keep talking about games in hand, but if we keep losing said games in hand, that does us no good. If we don't start stringing wins together like yesterday...

bleedteal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

It was a good effort but horrible execution.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
wtfisthis

Horrible execution has been a theme for this team.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Yup all year. They have never really developed any chemistry.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Yup all year. They have never really developed any chemistry.
I can understand new players struggling to develop chemistry but even Jumbo and Patty are struggling together.

That 2-1 where Patty fired a riffle of a pass to Jumbo was the epitome. Years past and that's a tap in goal for Jumbo. In Jumbo's interview he was asked and kind of laughed it off that Patty fired the pass too hard.

Not to nitpick as there were countless examples of poor execution.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
I can understand new players struggling to develop chemistry but even Jumbo and Patty are struggling together.

That 2-1 where Patty fired a riffle of a pass to Jumbo was the epitome. Years past and that's a tap in goal for Jumbo. In Jumbo's interview he was asked and kind of laughed it off that Patty fired the pass too hard.

Yup. They are not playing like a team, at all. Though the effort seems to get better, the chemistry really isn't. Blame that on whatever you like, coaching, players, whatever, but I think it's clear it's time for a new concept for this team.

I made a value of thread on the trade board just to get an idea of what people think our players our worth. I know how those usually end up, but I'm honestly curious. Not saying to blow it up, but figure out which players have the most long term value and which have the most short term value and make careful surgical changes.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:

Yeah that was money not only last year but even earlier in the year. They are pressing. It sucks.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Phu

Quote:

I saw that but then again they had several sweet connections, none better than that 3-man passing play finishing with Marleau on the left. That is a golden scoring chance that just didn't drop for us; Marleau scores that goal a lot of the time in normal times when we aren't catching every bad break known to man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmarleautime View Post
What kills me is that people keep talking about games in hand, but if we keep losing said games in hand, that does us no good. If we don't start stringing wins together like yesterday...
Well, the good part is we still haven't played those games in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eid Ma Clack Shaw View Post
I thought the D made some questionable turnovers though. That 1st goal was a fluke and you can't blame anyone except the hockey gods for that. The second goal was a result of the Sharks not being able to clear the puck (surprise!). Not Niemi's fault.
I did see some questionable turnovers, on long stretch passes where the d-man wasn't being pressured at the back of the zone. I don't know how that has become part of our game; not to name names but I see Burns do that a lot and I wonder if he brought that from the Wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eid Ma Clack Shaw View Post
The Sharks really needed to take advantage of that 5 on 3 and some of those offensive stretches in the 3rd. Dubnyk did have some good saves but the Sharks should be beating teams like these.
I've seen this said a few times but I think it's a bit of a misguided complaint. On the 5 on 3 faceoff, we did not get the faceoff in the offensive zone, we got it at our own blue line because we were somehow called for icing on the penalty play. I don't know if I can remember ever seeing a PP start anywhere but the opponent's zone, yet there we were with only 41 seconds and not taking a faceoff in the zone.

Once we got in we generated plays and pressure and IIRC put one off the post. But that 5 on 3 was definitely not equal to most 5 on 3s.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

There was/is so much churn on this team, and therefore it doesn't surprise me that people are complaining about chemistry.

What happened to the Bruins the year before they won the cup? They historically failed and lost in historical fashion.

I'm frustrated as hell with this team, but ever since the beginning of the season I have been looking forward to NEXT season - as that IMO is the epitome of our last good chance at winning the cup with this core.

Sharks management unfortunately has a pattern where they seem to make a big trade/move each year.

09 they brought in Boyle/Blake. 10 they added Heatley. 11 Niemi. 12 Heatley out, Havlat in, Burns in, Seto out.

I'd frankly just like to simply see TWO YEARS IN A ROW of the same core be able to play together. But that's just me. Enough with the huge moves - they aren't helping things.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:05 PM
bleedteal12

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Well, the good part is we still haven't played those games in hand.
Yes, but my point is that we're burning through those. Games in hand are only beneficial if you win them.

bleedteal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

I liked the Edmonton Sun article above: Sharks defy Logic.

I don't like the results, but I like the fact the team is getting healthier, is deep, added speed, and is getting sharper with each game after what can only be described as a drunken walk through the last road trip.

I've not lost faith just yet because the pieces are there for a solid run. I will lose faith if they lose the next games against Pacific teams. If that happens, the team will earn their just reward and look backward on a wasted season and forward to training camp.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

That could be good for them. No more Buffalo or Philly, teams you are familiar with and that you hate.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:16 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...n%20San%20Jose

Spector: Window Closing in San Jose

Old
03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
I saw that but then again they had several sweet connections, none better than that 3-man passing play finishing with Marleau on the left. That is a golden scoring chance that just didn't drop for us; Marleau scores that goal a lot of the time in normal times when we aren't catching every bad break known to man.
And you know Patty's squeezing the stick because he fired it right into the goalie's chest. He had about 1/3rd of the goal on the left to fire but he took the conservative route and it wound up right into the goalie's chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
There was/is so much churn on this team, and therefore it doesn't surprise me that people are complaining about chemistry.

What happened to the Bruins the year before they won the cup? They historically failed and lost in historical fashion.

I'm frustrated as hell with this team, but ever since the beginning of the season I have been looking forward to NEXT season - as that IMO is the epitome of our last good chance at winning the cup with this core.

Sharks management unfortunately has a pattern where they seem to make a big trade/move each year.

09 they brought in Boyle/Blake. 10 they added Heatley. 11 Niemi. 12 Heatley out, Havlat in, Burns in, Seto out.

I'd frankly just like to simply see TWO YEARS IN A ROW of the same core be able to play together. But that's just me. Enough with the huge moves - they aren't helping things.
Yeah, we probably all underestimated the amount of time it'd take for all these new pieces to gel. The optimist wouldn't mind seeing this team get next year to really show they've come together.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Eighth Fret

I was going to say that at least they gave a solid effort last night.

But then I realized that if we can't even beat the Oilers giving it all we've got, then we're screwed. This season is over, guys.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:32 PM
maryb

i was there last night again (2 losses in a row, sorry internet pals) and i know some of you may disagree with me on this:

first goal, boyle and niemi to blame. was sitting 12 rows back from niemi on the side boyle bobbled the puck and didnt get his stick down quick enough (may have had to bring his stick from the other side to get that puck). but he was really slow to react with his stick and tried to play the body first. niemi should have stopped it either way, hit out of mid-air or not.

and clowe. which you may disagree with me with. yes, he had a decent game, had the most amount of shots on net, and got our 2nd goal.... but watching the puck get dumped in and him just float to it is definitely not what he would do last season. him and handzus on the same line (when pavelski was hurt after the puck to the face) was brutal to watch.

im not sure if the coaching staff asked him to become more like thornton with his playmaking/board work and trying to be a setup man, but that's what im assuming/see. when he actually put in the effort and drove to the net is when something good happened for him.

i can see wingels as a replacement on that 2nd line in place of clowe, unfortunately. still convinced clowe would be/will be a playoff performer, but with a lack of intensity and effort it will be just that: a would have been or a will be playoff performer.

3rd line continues to impress me, minus torrey mitchell's horrid horrid offensive abilities. would rather see a galiardi-moore-winnik.

and one last note: keep your mouth guard in galiardi! i know we have a great dentist and all (my mother used to work for Dr Goudy when he first moved here from LA and i was at his office all the time growing up), but you are just asking for it bud!

maryb is offline   Reply With Quote