HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good News regarding Karlsson

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Fat Elvis

vCash: 500
He plays in Sweden.

Old
11-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Someone's sounding a little spoiled

Be happy when ANY pick pans out to be an NHLer, especially since that was such a weak draft to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
With that, would you be disappointed if none of Brown, Tambs ans Boyel played a regular shift? I understand it was a much deeper draft, but we had 2 picks not to mention getting Cammy, Petiot, Mantyla, and Huet. All of them show more skill and had *success* at each level they've played at. Jens has had no success except for a 3 game stint here and there in the playoffs, other than that he collects dust. Not spoiled by any means, not expecting all-stars in the nhl, just expect success in the league they're playing in. And if this guy just doesn't want to leave home to play in a league that better fits his game, then he's a boob to boot. Hope he picks it up.
I agree with both of you. Especially KP's part of not all first rounder pan out, but we have Folov, Grebs, Brown, etc and Elvi's part of two first rounders and we have nothing.

I am PISSED about Steckel. Remember he was part of the Blake trade. But I do have a lot of faith in our scouts. They are doing the best they have done in the history of the organization and they seem to be drafting better each year.

Old
11-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
He plays in Sweden.
Maybe it was subconscious, but I think he'd play better in Finland than Sweden. The Finnish league is much more physical.

11-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Maybe it was subconscious, but I think he'd play better in Finland than Sweden. The Finnish league is much more physical.
Yes he would, and it's not like he couldn't get around or communicate there......

Old
11-11-2004, 05:50 PM
hockeyfan33

Quote:
I know that I'm all alone on this one, I'm just not sold on this guy amounting to anything more than a Steckel. He may have some skills, but obviously not enough to make the lineup each night. It also shows that he can not adapt his game to what the coaches want from him, that does not look good if AM wants him to play a certain way and he's just unable to do so. If the guy was good, he'd play. I don't buy into the statement that his game is more suited for the NA style, maybe "his game" has no style and he's a loose cannon that just frustrates coaches? Don't expect too much from him, because he may just be the next Steckel ie; had one good season and regressed since drafted because he has $$$'s in his eyes. No thanks, I'd rather have Clarke before this guy. Just my opinion , could be proven wrong, but I doubt it.
you have to remember, these prospects are VERY young and when they ar ein their prime ready to compete with the Kings, AM won't be around anymore unless he is in this 10 year as our coach (which won't happen)

Old
11-11-2004, 06:26 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
With that, would you be disappointed if none of Brown, Tambs ans Boyel played a regular shift? I understand it was a much deeper draft, but we had 2 picks not to mention getting Cammy, Petiot, Mantyla, and Huet. All of them show more skill and had *success* at each level they've played at. Jens has had no success except for a 3 game stint here and there in the playoffs, other than that he collects dust. Not spoiled by any means, not expecting all-stars in the nhl, just expect success in the league they're playing in. And if this guy just doesn't want to leave home to play in a league that better fits his game, then he's a boob to boot. Hope he picks it up.
Well, I AM disappointed with their development. That's not what I said. I was saying you sounded spoiled because you said a 1st round pick developing into a 4th liner is a "waste."

My dispute was your expectations of 1st round picks. I made no mention, and in fact share the disappointment, with Karlsson's progress.

Old
11-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Yes he would, and it's not like he couldn't get around or communicate there......
Actually, during the World Cup, I found out that Finnish and Swedish are very different languages. Now, I don't know whether or not the average Swede knows Finnish or vice-versa, but they are much different.

Old
11-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Well, just some points I would like to add to the debate

- Karlsson not making Frölunda's line-up says more about Frölunda as a team, than Karlsson as a player. Frölunda has the best depth in the league among forwards and the scary thing is that they only have one player, that I would actually call a "role player" .. (Jonas Esbjörs) ...the same category I would put Karlsson under at this point. The fact that NHLers like PJ Axelsson, Samuel Påhlsson are not even among the best players (so far at least) on the team, says a lot about the talent level in Frölunda.

- I do think Karlsson should move over the pond, well quite frankly I wished he'd done it a long time ago. This has not so much to do with his limited role in Sweden, but more so because I think he can improve what he is already good at (and expected to deliver once in the NHL) better in NA.

- Him not fitting in the SEL because the SEL is a finesse-league, is incorrect. There are many tough guys, grinders etc that fit in very nicely on their teams. As I see it, the reasons behind Karlsson's problems are 1) Frölunda's depth (as mentioned previously), 2) the style of Frölunda's play.

Frölunda has 4 scoring lines and extremely gifted offensive players. Their game plan is about puck possession and speed. Neither of that suits Karlsson very well.

- I am quite convinced that Karlsson would be a regular on almost all SEL teams, aside of Frölunda. In fact several SEL teams had contacted Frölunda .. asking them to loan him out, but I believe Karlsson felt it was a long way from Frölunda/Gothenburg.. and therefore chose Rögle in the 2nd-tier league.. which is just like a 1,5h hours away by car.

- Rögle's coach has said that he has 'great plans' for Karlsson and he will likely see plenty of ice time.

- Don't write him off even if he doesn't average more than a point per game in Rögle. The important thing for him right now is to get match training and not necessarily to put up big numbers.

- Karlsson has some sick technical skills 'down under'. Calling his technical skills above average would likely be wrong, but sometimes he is really flashy and puts up some insane technical numbers.

- I personally think he is as far from a diva as possible. This is a guy that you'll never see floating around and he plays with a tremendous amount of heart.

- I am among those that still are hoping Karlsson will break out offensively, and be the same scoring force as he was in the juniors. However, it would be more realistic to think of him as a role player in the future.

Karlsson is one of my personal favourites. I tend to like physical players with a real mean streak, since it is quite uncharacteristic for Swedish players. Karlsson fits that description perfectly.

Old
11-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Thanks Predatore! Much appreciated.

Old
11-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Fat Elvis

Thank you Predator, not many of us if any, have seen him play. It's good to hear some positives things said about him from somebody who's seen him in action. You make me feel more optimistic about his game and his future . But he still needs to come over and show us what he's got and until then he'll be somewhat of a disappointment because he seems reluctant to move far from home. Time will tell.

Old
11-11-2004, 08:53 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Hell, he should just move over to the Czech league. It is the league most like the NHL - physical, trapping style.

11-11-2004, 08:55 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Actually, during the World Cup, I found out that Finnish and Swedish are very different languages. Now, I don't know whether or not the average Swede knows Finnish or vice-versa, but they are much different.
Swede is a germanic language while Fin is a Ural-Altaic language more closely akin to the languages spoken in Siberia and east Russia. Very different languages.

Old
11-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
Swede is a germanic language while Fin is a Ural-Altaic language more closely akin to the languages spoken in Siberia and east Russia. Very different languages.
Right. Thats what they told me.

Is your knowledge of Europe because of you studies of Medieval History?

Old
11-11-2004, 11:21 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Right. Thats what they told me.

Is your knowledge of Europe because of you studies of Medieval History?
Kind of. My specialty (other than medieval British history) is the history of "barbarian" migrations - all the little people and tribes that roamed around Europe from about 300AD-900AD. This is a period commonly known as the Dark Ages. When you know about the origins of peoples like that, you kind of learn the origins of their languages.

Pick any European country and I can trace the migrations of the people that inhabit it all the way back to Indo-European man (circa 3000 BC).

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 11-11-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old
11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
fin i hear is more closely related to the slavic language...

and thanks predatore...

11-12-2004, 12:02 AM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
fin i hear is more closely related to the slavic language...

and thanks predatore...
Because slavic is also a Ural-Altaic language. But they are in different sub-groups. There is still enormous differences between the two as the last time a "Fin" could speak with a "Slav" was about 2000 years ago (I'm being very simplistic here for illustration sake).

Leep in mind also that the slavic language is a HUGE sub-group that breaks down into even more groups (east slavic, west slavic, and south slavic).

Old
11-12-2004, 04:50 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Hmmm when I was discussing this with some Finnish posters, they were saying that they could understand some Slovakian.

Old
11-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Pick any European country and I can trace the migrations of the people that inhabit it all the way back to Indo-European man (circa 3000 BC).
Portugal, Poland and Netherlands

Old
11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Hmmm when I was discussing this with some Finnish posters, they were saying that they could understand some Slovakian.
I'm sure there are some words that are similar between Finnish and Slovenian, just as there are similar words between French and Italian. This is because both languages came from the same root language. However, I doubt that a Fin can carry on a conversation with a Slovak (which is what I meant).

Maybe we should move this to the Lounge thread?

Old
11-12-2004, 11:07 AM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy
Portugal, Poland and Netherlands
Let me take this to the Lounge thread.

Old
11-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Thanks Predatore! Another example of how important the European writers are to HF

You are the man!

Old
11-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Game Misconduct

BUST!

Old
11-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I just said Karlsson could get around in Finland is because my buddy who is Finnish said that Swedish is like the unofficial or 2nd language of Finland. Who know's he hasnt been there since his embassy duty.....

Old
11-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Jens Karlsson racked up one goal and one assist in his debut for Rögle, and was also called for a minor penalty for roughing. He played on the topline with Ryan Vesce and Mattias Karlsson.

I didn't see the game, but I've read a recap:

First goal: Karlsson starts a counterattack on the boxplay and fed Vesce who buried the puck.

Second goal: Karlsson battled in front of the goalie, and managed to put the puck in the net.

Jens Karlsson was also named Rögle's best player by the writer (who aint a proffessional writer, but a fan that writes for a fan page).

Seem he did everything that he should do. He was though and roughed and he scored. Hopefully the time in Rögle will be good for his confidence. He probably won't see any more icetime in Frölunda, 'cause Daniel Alfredsson is joining them after Christmas.

Old
11-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
THANK YOU!

We would appreciate as many updates as you can give us on Jens.

Closed Thread