HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Let's just win the cup already.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Spektre

vCash: 50
Let's just win the cup already.

I'll preface this by saying I realize the odds are against the Blues at winning it all.

I've been watching Blues hockey since 1980. Year in and year out the Blues went to the playoffs only to get knocked out. It really did become expected from my point of view. It seems like I'm not alone in that.

I've seen better Blues teams than this current lineup. I think the main thing missing on those teams was always the goalie.

This current Blues team seems to be improving the longer the season goes on, including the PP and PK. I've watched them dominate good teams at times. It's been quite a number of years since I've seen that.

So why not actually expect to win for once?

I'll admit that up to this point I would say that I'd be happy with the Blues making the 2nd round. The hell with that. I want this team to just win it. I know every fan wants that. But now I'm going to expect it. I've seen enough of this team to know we can beat any team in the NHL.

Barring major injuries I'll be let down if this team doesn't go all the way.

So here's to this Blues team breaking the curse, and to this city seeing a parade down Market unlike anything we've ever seen before.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:42 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Alright.

The St. Louis Blues are winning the 2012 Stanley Cup. Simple as that.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I don't doubt that the players/coaches believe they will. Man, if this team gets healthy and avoids major injuries.....I'm not sure who is going to knock them out.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't doubt that the players/coaches believe they will. Man, if this team gets healthy and avoids major injuries.....I'm not sure who is going to knock them out.
Love the avatar. Since the Blues are clearly going back to the playoffs for the first time in a while, I say our PO avatars should be 'boring' or 'trap' themed. It's been almost 3 years since we sported the Mario Bros avies...it's almost time to unify once again.

Edit: D'oh...just spotted the playoff avatar thread!

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Chicago Blues

Seriously though, why not us? The f-ing Hurricanes and Lightning have won one...

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
EOM

I'd say this team has the best shot at winning the Cup as any Blues team in a while. The only comparable is the President's trophy winning team that subsequently lost in the first round. I just hope they're not as big a disappointment as that team was. I'd be happy with making it to the second or third round. Obviously I'd be happier with more, but keep in mind that most of the Blues' most important players have little to no playoff experience.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:11 PM
the

Jaroslav Halak is going to dominate in the playoff's,I just wanted this team to make it to the post season so he could show his real value!

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
stlweir

Spektre, love the thought. The Blues have proven themselves to be one of the best teams in the league. You are right about the goaltending and this is the best defensive team in the NHL with arguably the best coach in the league. As we know the playoffs are a war. Often it is who is healthy and who can stay healthy. Hot goaltending sure doesn't hurt. This team has a chance.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
CalgaryBlue

vCash: 1299
I completely agree with the why not sentiment.

Long playoff runs require depth at all postions and the one thing that all the injuries have supplied is that many people have gotten in NHL games and proven themselves capable.

CalgaryBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:00 PM
BlueDream

I honestly am beginning to think they might do it. They are the best team in the West and there's just something special about this team...With how good they are playing, I can't see anyone except maybe Detroit knocking them out. This team's goaltending is too solid and if they score 3 goals it's lights out for the other team.

Earlier in the season I would have been surprised, but now I wouldn't be. This team is good enough to pull it off, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I cannot even fathom what it would feel like to see the Blues win the Cup, but my God I hope to see it someday and this season we may have a good chance.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:11 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Can teams add players that were injured between playoff rounds?

If so, I propose the following scenario:

First round, we play a team like Los Angeles or Dallas and dispatch of them easily.

Second round, we play a team like Detroit or Vancouver (barring some major upset) and get back the likes of Steen, Dags, Russell and Langs.

If we get healthy, I don't think there's a team out there that can match our intensity.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
I'd say this team has the best shot at winning the Cup as any Blues team in a while. The only comparable is the President's trophy winning team that subsequently lost in the first round. I just hope they're not as big a disappointment as that team was. I'd be happy with making it to the second or third round. Obviously I'd be happier with more, but keep in mind that most of the Blues' most important players have little to no playoff experience.
Regardless of the team's youth and lack of playoff experience, after what this team has shown in the last several weeks (even with Steen, D'Agostini and Langenbrunner out, I can't be satisfied with their only winning the first round and losing in the second. They'll have to win at least 2 rounds for me to not be disappointed. They should easily beat the team they face in the first round. They should be very competitive in the second, and certainly capable of beating the team they face in that round. If they lose in the conference finals, I'll be a little disappointed, but proud of them, and looking forward to a Stanley Cup drive in 2012-13.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Burynai

With the lack of playoff success the Blues have had in the past, I still have my doubts. Although we aren't as talented as the teams of the 90's or early 00's, I think the Blues far better chance of going deep in the playoffs. We've had better individual players in the past, but their team play is probably the best I've seen as a fan of 20+ years. I'm pretty excited about our future.

Burynai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
thebigbea

great chance for sure... so many good tight checking teams in the west this yr.. nashville, phoenix, LA, dallas..

thebigbea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Mike Liut

This team is deeper, works harder and has better goal tending than any Blues team we have seen yet.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
stlweir

WOW. 1rst overall and back to back games coming up against the last place team in the league. The PP is clicking and the PK has been great, the goal tending superb. It looks like Dags, Russell and Lang will be back shortly. Hopefully the new ownership group will close the purchase and Steen makes it back before the playoffs. Steen was having the best season of his career. It could happen.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Steve Doan
Portugal. The Man

Im more excited about next year, not to say this year wont be great because it should, but with the potential to get tarasenko and possibly schwartz, a new owner who is committed to the city and the team( and new owners love to spend money), if we could get someone in free agency like parise, then the sky is the limit

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
jimmykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Perron after last night's win:
"Our goal is more than just to finish first in the standings...it's to win the Cup."
this is what I like to hear.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

I'm beginning to worry that this teams obstacle in the future won't be the development of their core, or coaching, or anything ice related for that matter. I'm starting to worry we will have a very small window as a contender because the expiring CBA, the absurdly rising cap, and our ownership problems.

Let's win the Cup this year, just to be sure.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:53 PM
wingnutjeff

Wings fan here, coming in peace. the playoffs are much different than the regular season and experience does help, that being said, I'm hoping that somebody knocks you guys out be fore we have to face you.

I wouldn't consider it a complete surprise if you guys won it all.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Burynai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
Wings fan here, coming in peace. the playoffs are much different than the regular season and experience does help, that being said, I'm hoping that somebody knocks you guys out be fore we have to face you.

Although I don't want to play the Wings in the playoffs, I do miss this old school playoff rivalry. I think it's only fitting that if we want to go to the finals, we must go through DET first.

Burynai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:00 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post

I know you had no ill intentions, but no one has the tell the Blues fanbase what the playoffs are like. I mean we did have a pretty long streak of about 25 years.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
stlweir

This team is a contender now and is set to contend for years to come. The Blues have all their draft picks plus extras. They have several top flight prospects, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Allen and Rattie with several others that will see NHL time. Look at the age of the core of this roster:

34 - AMac is probably the most dynamic and not easy to replace
28 - Backes & Steen in their prime years
25 - Oshie & Dags
24 - Stewart & Sabotka
23 - Perron & Berglund

31 - Jackman playing his best hockey
29 - Cola more than capable
25 - Polak
24 - Russell
23 - Shattenkirk & Cole
22 - Pie

26 - Halak & Elliott

Next step stable ownership.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
jimmykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
This team is a contender now and is set to contend for years to come. The Blues have all their draft picks plus extras. They have several top flight prospects, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Allen and Rattie with several others that will see NHL time. Look at the age of the core of this roster:

34 - AMac is probably the most dynamic and not easy to replace
28 - Backes & Steen in their prime years
25 - Oshie & Dags
24 - Stewart & Sabotka
23 - Perron & Berglund

31 - Jackman playing his best hockey
29 - Cola more than capable
25 - Polak
24 - Russell
23 - Shattenkirk & Cole
22 - Pie

26 - Halak & Elliott

Next step stable ownership.
I don't want to jinx us, but I want us to win a cup this year. I think that in two years we're going to be making some really tough decisions regarding the roster and our young guys growing into big boy contracts. Especially if we start splashing around deep in the playoffs.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
inglouriousbackes

why not the blues is the statement that has been rung around for the entire year. I completely agree with everyone here, but shh... don't let anybody else know we are good. I just wanna go into every game underdogs and walk out

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote