HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Does Brad Richards need to redeem himself? (All Richards discussion)

Old
05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Broadway hat, Capt Cally, HBO's 24/7, Winter Classic, Euro trip, #1 in the east, game 7 win, triple OT win,.. and now this!

This will be the most unforgettable season ever.
.....with 9 more wins.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:11 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
.....with 9 more wins.
You know, with all that has happened this year, 9 more wins is almost an afterthought.

Just kidding. And to think there still might be more magical events ahead. Those 9 more wins will be just as close, important and exciting.

Just incredible time to be a Rangers fan.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Just wondering how everyone feels. With the team winning so much, the spotlight is off Richards, but if we get knocked out in the playoffs, and Richards does not play well, the glare will be intense.

I was against the signing over the summer but at this point I'm rooting to prove me wrong...hard. I was told about the perfect marriage between Gaborik and Richards, and how Richards would fix the anemic power play. Wrong on both counts.

He has scored a few timely goals, but for his salary we need more than that.

That said, if Richards draws on his vast Stanley Cup experience and comes thru in the playoffs, for me all will be forgiven. Hopefully he can do so.

What say you?
Like you I was not totally on board with the signing. Even though his play during the season was not up to par at times, he proved that he was the right acquisition.

I think the doubts have been erased and the questions have been answered. What say you all?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Like you I was not totally on board with the signing. Even though his play during the season was not up to par at times, he proved that he was the right acquisition.

I think the doubts have been erased and the questions have been answered. What say you all?
I say that anyone who had any doubts was a stats surfer who didn't pay attention to the games. Once he actually got some players he fit in with he completely turned it on. Was painfully obvious he simply had no one to play with early on.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I say that anyone who had any doubts was a stats surfer who didn't pay attention to the games. Once he actually got some players he fit in with he completely turned it on. Was painfully obvious he simply had no one to play with early on.
It wasn't all that. He was getting out-muscled and he was making poor decisions with the puck. I will agree that it was partly due to his line-mates but he looked bad for stretches. Hopefully it is behind him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
steeliejim

I wasn't worried as he struggled during the regular season. He was signed because of his play in April, May, and June.

steeliejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Just close this thread please lol, no questions should be asked about Richards.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Just close this thread please lol, no questions should be asked about Richards.
I disagree. Keep it open.

I think it was a fair question to ask before the playoffs began, and I love the answer Brad Richards is giving us. Don't mess with the karma!!!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I disagree. Keep it open.

I think it was a fair question to ask before the playoffs began, and I love the answer Brad Richards is giving us. Don't mess with the karma!!!

You have a point there, might be our good luck charm and we don't even know it.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It wasn't all that. He was getting out-muscled and he was making poor decisions with the puck. I will agree that it was partly due to his line-mates but he looked bad for stretches. Hopefully it is behind him.
Agreed. He had a rough early 2012, and it had little to do with who he was playing with. He looked lethargic for whatever reason.

The level at which hes turned it on these playoffs is nothing short of beautiful to watch. He possesses an ability to control the flow of the game like few others. But whats been the best thing over the past month is how hes seemingly found that extra gear thats allowing him to get to pucks first and fight through traffic.

A true big game performer.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
DekeR

Quote:
I kind of agree-new surroundings, new teammates will always lead to slow starts. Once the chemistry gets established and the linemates gell, Hags-who would have thought, and it took time with Gabs before results got decent. But in my mind there is no other player best suited for the playoffs and success. He's the moneyman.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
I kind of agree-new surroundings, new teammates will always lead to slow starts. Once the chemistry gets established and the linemates gell, Hags-who would have thought, and it took time with Gabs before results got decent. But in my mind there is no other player best suited for the playoffs and success. He's the moneyman.
Problem with that theory is, he had a quick start to the season, then really swooned in January and February.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
SnowblindNYR

His line was just sick last game. They play like that with 2 guys that can finish (Gabbiy, Richards) they'll score some goals. Hagelin did a decent job of finishing during the regular season too.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
Not sure why it took me this long to realized Richards was clean shaven during Game 5. Any idea what his personal playoff beard rules are?

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

he took off once he was put with Gabby and Hagelin.

It's all about Chemistry...i didnt see it with the rest of the team...i see it in spades with the 3 of them.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is spot on. Add into the fact he was in a new city and on a new team and its no surprise it took him a while to settle in. Richards has been fine all year and has come up with some big goals when we needed him most.

Love Richards and its my opinion next year he will be even better.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlallstar6 View Post
Not sure why it took me this long to realized Richards was clean shaven during Game 5. Any idea what his personal playoff beard rules are?
Going against the norm could be
an indicator of intelligence with a healthy and fertile kick against the prevailing behaviour
signs of a severely maladjusted personality with anti-social tendencies.

In Brad Richards' case, I think we can go with #1

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1co80 View Post
This is spot on. Add into the fact he was in a new city and on a new team and its no surprise it took him a while to settle in. Richards has been fine all year and has come up with some big goals when we needed him most.

Love Richards and its my opinion next year he will be even better.
breaking up with her couldn't help either...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:43 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlallstar6 View Post
Don't know.

I've never been big on the playoff beard thing, myself. It's a ****ing Islander tradition, for cryin' out loud, and it was revived by the Devils.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He'll be even better once the surrounding cast is upgraded. He and Gaborik were great in the regular season together. They still need that permanent solution on the LW, as does the PP. We thought going in we'd be able to count on Dubinsky, but now that hole has to be filled. Richards has been very good in the playoffs considering.

Remember talking up the idea of the Rangers getting him as far back as 2010, maybe even 2009. The impact he's had on this team is pretty close to what I envisioned and yearned for as a Ranger fan back then. Finally, a real playmaking center. It's night and day, and that's despite the fact that the offense is not great. It's still so much better than it was before this season.

Thank goodness he was available. The team would be screwed if they didn't land him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:09 AM
ohbaby

He got off to a slow start period. Give him a break. New team, a break up, coming off a concussion last season,.... pick one, pick all of them. Yes he was brought here to mesh with Gabby, They are playing well together since he got his game going aren't they?

I too wasn't happy with the signing. I thought we were done with these long term contract signings. Risking the future for a shot at the Cup. Cause it was obvious that's why we got him. A Conn Smythe winner with Torts. I don't think anyone is worth the contract he got, but true be told,.... we couldn't have gotten a better player to fit our needs. A bonafide #1 center and a Stanley Cup MVP.

I have always liked Richards. When he was at Tampa, and everyone was drooling over the play of Vinnie and Marty,..... it was Richards who scared the daylights out of me everytime he played against us. He was always the most dangerous, with that cannon of a shot, and his uncanny ice awareness. So even though I hate his contract, I love having him here. Never did I doubt his ability. It's his contract I have doubts about.

Last edited by ohbaby: 05-09-2012 at 02:06 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:56 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
breaking up with her couldn't help either...

Maybe breaking up with her was a good thing.

He might have been expending all his energy on out of hockey activities if you know what i mean.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:

He might have been expending all his energy on out of hockey activities if you know what i mean.
I don't. Please explain further.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

So what does that say about the other guys on the team who have girlfriends/wives/mistresses and the like?

There's the story about Brian Leetch winning the Cup and going home and banging his future wife (he said this on Howard Stern back then). Let's be honest, all or at least most of these guys get laid regularly.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
So what does that say about the other guys on the team who have girlfriends/wives/mistresses and the like?

There's the story about Brian Leetch winning the Cup and going home and banging his future wife (he said this on Howard Stern back then). Let's be honest, all or at least most of these guys get laid regularly.
really? that's a good story. and i agree. if you're DZ, it's probably more like once before a game and twice after. young, rich, Canadian stud like him? pfft.

BOT: i'm just glad Richards is doing what he came here to do. hopefully he could get his first GWG tonight, here. feel like he might.

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote