HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

If Kharlamov Could've Made It

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2004, 01:49 PM
  #1
big_steve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
If Kharlamov Could've Made It

Let's say that Valery Kharlamov makes it into the NHL at the age of 21 probably and goes on to have a full career in the NHL. Where do you think he would rank among the all-time greats. You can also consider Vladislav Tretiak, Vladimir Krutov, Sergei Makarov(full career now), Alexander Yakushev, or anyone else you would like to include. I give a little top 5 including only Kharlamov.

Also, guys you can consider what team, they would've been drafted in to, rivalries that he would have, etc.

My List:
1. Bobby Orr
2. Valery Kharlamov
3. Wayne Gretzky
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Gordie Howe

big_steve is offline  
Old
11-10-2004, 03:03 PM
  #2
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_steve
Let's say that Valery Kharlamov makes it into the NHL at the age of 21 probably and goes on to have a full career in the NHL. Where do you think he would rank among the all-time greats. You can also consider Vladislav Tretiak, Vladimir Krutov, Sergei Makarov(full career now), Alexander Yakushev, or anyone else you would like to include. I give a little top 5 including only Kharlamov.

Also, guys you can consider what team, they would've been drafted in to, rivalries that he would have, etc.

My List:
1. Bobby Orr
2. Valery Kharlamov
3. Wayne Gretzky
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Gordie Howe
never seen kharlamov play, but was he really better than gretzky and lemieux? if so, i must get a hold of some tapes of this guy.

Luigi Lemieux is offline  
Old
11-10-2004, 03:18 PM
  #3
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_steve
Let's say that Valery Kharlamov makes it into the NHL at the age of 21 probably and goes on to have a full career in the NHL. Where do you think he would rank among the all-time greats. You can also consider Vladislav Tretiak, Vladimir Krutov, Sergei Makarov(full career now), Alexander Yakushev, or anyone else you would like to include. I give a little top 5 including only Kharlamov.

Also, guys you can consider what team, they would've been drafted in to, rivalries that he would have, etc.

My List:
1. Bobby Orr
2. Valery Kharlamov
3. Wayne Gretzky
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Gordie Howe
If I remember correctly Kharmalov and Howe played against each other in '74 in the WHA Canada / Soviet series. Both were near the top in scoring. I think they each had 7 points in the eight games. Of course Gordie was just starting to hit his prime.

Crosbyfan is offline  
Old
11-10-2004, 04:09 PM
  #4
Doomsday Device
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Well, this how he did statistically in the two international tournaments he played against NHL players.

1972 Summit Series
Phil Esposito CAN 8 7 6 13
Alexander Yakushev USSR 8 7 4 11
Paul Henderson CAN 8 7 3 10
Vladimir Shadrin USSR 8 3 5 8
Valeri Kharlamov USSR 7 3 4 7
Vladimir Petrov USSR 8 3 4 7
Yuri Liapkin USSR 6 1 5 6
Bobby Clarke CAN 8 2 4 6
Yvan Cournoyer CAN 8 3 2 5
Boris Mikhailov USSR 8 3 2 5
Brad Park CAN 8 1 4 5
Alexander Maltsev USSR 8 0 5 5

1974 Summit Series
Bobby Hull CAN 8 7 2 9
Alexander Yakushev USSR 7 5 3 8
Ralph Backstrom CAN 8 4 4 8
Gordie Howe CAN 7 3 4 7
Valeri Kharlamov USSR 8 2 5 7
André Lacroix CAN 8 1 6 7
Vladimir Petrov USSR 7 1 6 7
Boris Mikhailov USSR 7 4 2 6
Mark Howe CAN 7 2 4 6
John McKenzie CAN 7 2 3 5
Jean-Claude Tremblay CAN 8 1 4 5
Alexander Maltsev USSR 8 4 0 4
Alexander Gusev USSR 8 3 1 4
Valeri Vasiliev USSR 7 3 1 4
Vyacheslav Anisin USSR 8 2 2 4

Doomsday Device is offline  
Old
11-10-2004, 08:38 PM
  #5
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Saying he'd have been #2 alltime seriously overrates Kharlamov. He was a great player, but on the Lafleur-Hull-Bossy level. Not the Orr-Gretzky-Lemieux one.

Lard_Lad is offline  
Old
11-11-2004, 09:54 AM
  #6
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad
Saying he'd have been #2 alltime seriously overrates Kharlamov. He was a great player, but on the Lafleur-Hull-Bossy level. Not the Orr-Gretzky-Lemieux one.
Exactly right.

Macman is online now  
Old
11-11-2004, 11:05 AM
  #7
big_steve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
Yeah I did overrate him. He's a great player but not top 5 or even top 10 all-time. Sorry.

big_steve is offline  
Old
11-11-2004, 12:43 PM
  #8
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_steve
Yeah I did overrate him. He's a great player but not top 5 or even top 10 all-time. Sorry.
He's possibly in the lower half of the all-time top 10. Definitely top 20.

Epsilon is online now  
Old
11-11-2004, 12:46 PM
  #9
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
He was a small speedy guy somewhat like Cournoyer, so start with him as your base model. He's better than Cournoyer but he'll also have a lot more "issues" to deal with.

21 would have brought him over in 69, so say 69-70 season for his rookie year. Which team he plays for will make a huge difference in his career.

Come 72 we have the question of the WHA. If he's playing on a winner, he'd probably stay, but if he's on the Seals...

BM67 is offline  
Old
11-11-2004, 01:34 PM
  #10
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67
He was a small speedy guy somewhat like Cournoyer, so start with him as your base model. He's better than Cournoyer but he'll also have a lot more "issues" to deal with.

21 would have brought him over in 69, so say 69-70 season for his rookie year. Which team he plays for will make a huge difference in his career.

Come 72 we have the question of the WHA. If he's playing on a winner, he'd probably stay, but if he's on the Seals...
...and had to wear those skates!!

Crosbyfan is offline  
Old
11-12-2004, 01:04 PM
  #11
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,163
vCash: 500
Its hard to measure how good he'd be. If he isnt already considered the greatest Russian player of all time then he would be by playing a full career.

Big Phil is offline  
Old
11-14-2004, 04:05 AM
  #12
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
How about Yakushev? I always thought he was incredibly underrated, I don't think I'd consider him quite as good as Kharlamov, but really I don't see him as all that much worse, I've only watched him on tapes of '72 of course, but he should really get more respect, seemed like a great individual talent to me, in '72 it seemed like he rarely played with Kharlamov as well, I'd say he got along better without him, it let him control the puck more, which I was continually amazed at his skill at.

Was he as good as Espo? Seemed like it to me, but its a small sample size.

kruezer is offline  
Old
11-14-2004, 07:57 AM
  #13
Fighter
Legend
 
Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Trieste, Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,297
vCash: 500
Gretzky
Kharlamov
Lemieux
Orr
Howe
Anyone else.

These five are the best of the best ever. All had different roles, different styles and different times. It's difficult to compare Wayne with Mario, nearly impossible to compare a NHL player with the Soviet best player of all times.
As for talent and skills Valery was up with them though.

Fighter is offline  
Old
11-14-2004, 10:28 AM
  #14
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!
 
mazmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
Gretzky
Kharlamov
Lemieux
Orr
Howe
Anyone else.

These five are the best of the best ever. All had different roles, different styles and different times. It's difficult to compare Wayne with Mario, nearly impossible to compare a NHL player with the Soviet best player of all times.
As for talent and skills Valery was up with them though.

If you're talking different times than you'd have to consider guys like Howie Morenz and Joe "Phantom" Malone.

As for Kharlamov in the NHL, if he was indeed the best Russian players of all time, I bet he'd score on pace with someone like Esposito, so pretty much top of the league for his time.

mazmin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.