HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tips for spray painting a hockey stick?

Old
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Tips for spray painting a hockey stick?

So I've never tried this before but I have an SE16 that is chipped up pretty badly and I'd like to spray paint the shaft of it white, simply for looks. I've heard that sometimes the paint can become sticky and wear out your gloves or color the palm of the gloves. I'd like to get some insight on this before I try it so that I don't regret it. Does anyone have any tips as for the following:

What kind of spray paint to use?
How often I should apply the spray paint and how long to let it dry?
Should I take off the original paint job from the stick?
Is their anything I can do to prevent the paint chipping off?

All help appreciated.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So I've never tried this before but I have an SE16 that is chipped up pretty badly and I'd like to spray paint the shaft of it white, simply for looks. I've heard that sometimes the paint can become sticky and wear out your gloves or color the palm of the gloves. I'd like to get some insight on this before I try it so that I don't regret it. Does anyone have any tips as for the following:

What kind of spray paint to use?
How often I should apply the spray paint and how long to let it dry?
Should I take off the original paint job from the stick?
Is their anything I can do to prevent the paint chipping off?

All help appreciated.
- Any spray paint could do the trick

- Spray in light coats, letting it tack up with a couple minutes between coats. Whichever paint you choose ought to tell you to wait 5-10 minutes or whatever between coats. Be sure to beginning spraying off of the stick, then moving the paint stream onto it so you don't get heavy runs.

- Not necessary but it would be a good idea to scuff it up for better adhesion for your new paint

- Add a clear coat which should help with both keeping it from chipping and giving it a slicker feel. For a smoother clear coat, hit it once lightly, sand it down with a high-grit sandpaper, repeat as necessary. Don't sand too hard to get through the clear and into the actual color, though.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've painted an SE16 so I can help

First, take off all the shiny paint. It should come off in big chips. Sand if you'd like. Underneath is a dull grayish color. You can lightly sand if you want. I think I just left it.

Get regular spray paint, cheap stuff, doesn't matter. Spray a very light, thin coat. Quick sprays. Think "misting" not painting. Let it dry for an hour, then hit it again. If it needs a third coat, go for it, but two might get it done.

I would do some clear on top for protection. Same method. Makes for less paint chipping and ugliness.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
If you have a video camera tape it. I'd like to see this done before I ever do it.

David Vyborney of the NHL praypainted each of his sticks black right out of the box.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Loyal2TheOil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXFIlelewfA

does a decent job. always a good idea to sand it down. start with a coarse sandpaper and then move to a finer one as the paint starts coming off. obviously you dont want to go so hard that you get to the core of the stick. make sure you wipe the stick down after as it will leave a lot of debris/dust.

make sure to keep the spraypaint can about a foot to a foot and a half away when you apply the paint so that it is applied in a mist and not unevenly. take your time with it too.

for those of you who have a grip stick and dont like it, instead of sanding it down and ruining the colour of the stick, you can always apply a coat of clear spray paint. with that being said, does anyone know of a spray paint that will leave the stick with a matte finish like the 11K no grip has?

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
WithOutPaperss

I used rust paint (I think)

Chipped off pretty easily, not sure if it was the spray paint, or just not a thick enough layer.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
If you have a video camera tape it. I'd like to see this done before I ever do it.

David Vyborney of the NHL praypainted each of his sticks black right out of the box.
Sorry I already finished before you had posted this otherwise I would have.

It turned out pretty good. If I could re-do it I definitely would have made the coats a little bit thinner but I'm happy with it.

It's pretty easy and doesn't take long. I just sanded the stick, wiped it down and applied two coats of white paint and one coat of the clear paint. One thing to make sure you do is to let it dry out good before putting on the next coat and using it after. I thought it was dried out pretty good so I stick handled a bit with it but it left my fingerprints all over it. Was too lazy to put on another coat to cover it.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote