HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares Fatigued?

Old
03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Tavares Fatigued?

For the first 60 games JT was a monster. He never took a shift off and even when he was held off of the scoresheet he still played hard contributed defensively and never had a bad game. He played hard and gave it his all in all three zones. He was also the one player on his line that battled in the corners in the offensive and defensive zones.

The last few games he has not looked as explosive to me as he did in the first 60 and looks like he lost a step and is a bit slower. He needs a winger that can do most of and/or help him out with the dirty work. Moulson's game is to go in front of the net and clean up the garbage, PAP's game is to dangle around and look for the open man. JT is an amazing play maker and while he is very elusive along the baords and in all zones, I feel the workload is too much for him to handle and is taking away from his game on the score-sheet and is wearing him down physically. A Dustin Brown or Hartnell would be a great fit on RW for JT. Okposo could have been that guy, but he has not showed enough to stay in that role.

Any thought or ideas about this? Thanks

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Islanderfan17

My thoughts are that I completely agree, it's a shame KO can't get his act together because he could have been that guy. I think Moulson and JT need to stay together because of the chemistry, but we need to find a big strong winger with some offensive talent to take PAP's spot.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:19 PM
the sweetener

he just might not be 100%. lots of guys on the team seem to be getting or recently have been sick.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 1000
I think he is just falling under the pressure, almost every Islander is doing it.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Isles72

saving his energy for world championships

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
seafoam

vCash: 446
No help, get dmen who can move the puck up to the fowards to make their job easier, goaltending is fine, some fowards have to start finding their game. Time to start looking foward to the draft and next season

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

I'm not sure if this has any merit to it at all, but I've noticed that Tavares' shift length is quite high, and might be a contributing factor in why he looks fatigued as the year draws to a close.

For instance, among forwards, Tavares averages the third longest time on ice per shift in the entire league at 56 seconds per shift, tied with Ovechkin and St. Louis, and trailing only Malkin and Kovalchuk (who average 58 seconds per shift).

The other guys have been in the league longer and might be more accustomed to the long shifts, whereas Tavares might still be adjusting to the rigors of the NHL schedule and long shifts might affect him more.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Isles Junkie

It's tiring carrying a franchise on your back for three years

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
It's tiring carrying a franchise on your back for three years
Especially when it is dead weight.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
4straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I'm not sure if this has any merit to it at all, but I've noticed that Tavares' shift length is quite high, and might be a contributing factor in why he looks fatigued as the year draws to a close.

For instance, among forwards, Tavares averages the third longest time on ice per shift in the entire league at 56 seconds per shift, tied with Ovechkin and St. Louis, and trailing only Malkin and Kovalchuk (who average 58 seconds per shift).

The other guys have been in the league longer and might be more accustomed to the long shifts, whereas Tavares might still be adjusting to the rigors of the NHL schedule and long shifts might affect him more.
you may be right, it probably is taking alot out of him, but fact of the matter is he needs to get used to it because we need him to do this, difference is with the exception of st louis, those players listed above are on playoff teams and contribute to the ultimate goal of the playoffs then the cup. but the more ice time he sees the better i feel. and if it is taking a toll on him, its better its done now, when, if he doesnt score a goal in the third period that he may have if it was the first, it doesnt matter because we were probably going to lose either way and its not like that 1 lose is gunna keep us from the playoffs.

i could be completely wrong but thats my take on it.

4straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Quote:

It's a problem. He's not the only one, every game you notice line X, Y and Z getting 45-60 second shifts and getting caught in the D zone, leading up to a goal or chance for the other team.

In yesterdays game it happened to the Okposo line and I saw Ullstrom out there for a bit getting caught. Cap needs to step up and control that. It happens on D too, Jurcina and MacDonald both got caught up in very long shifts.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:28 PM
seafoam

vCash: 446
Quote:

Not only does he have long shifts but he works extremely hard on those shifts because he doesn't have KO or another big body clearing space for himself. Every shift I see JT in the corner or behind the net checking with the opposing top pairing defenseman. He didn't do that really at all during the previous two seasons because he hasn't been able to work in the dirty areas because of his skating. His skating this year has allowed him to work in the hard areas and maybe he just has gotten tired out.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
He has been keeping players out on the ice too long regularly. I am surprised this is news for anyone.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Not only does he have long shifts but he works extremely hard on those shifts because he doesn't have KO or another big body clearing space for himself. Every shift I see JT in the corner or behind the net checking with the opposing top pairing defenseman. He didn't do that really at all during the previous two seasons because he hasn't been able to work in the dirty areas because of his skating. His skating this year has allowed him to work in the hard areas and maybe he just has gotten tired out.
Good post.....This is my point....As others stated the long shifts could be a factor but imo its that hes the only one working his a$$ off on those shifts and thats whats taking a toll on him.....But short shifts and quick changes are not usually a bad thing...Cappy who will be here next year like it or not, has some serious homwork and studying to do in the summer...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote