HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Schneider / Roberto Luongo to Tampa Bay

Old
04-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Don Cherry doesn't know ****.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Seriously if people can't figure out that hes not coming here by now because of Vinnys contract, they're blind.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

Quote:
Seriously if people can't figure out that hes not coming here by now because of Vinnys contract, they're blind.
That's why Vinny for Luongo makes soooo much sense.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
If we could that trade would have been done a week ago

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:37 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Quote:
Don Cherry doesn't know ****.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 01:19 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
ok, then who will play 2nd line??? Malone will miss some games for sure, and we will be stuck with rookies or 3rd-4th liners, or we play the same strategy that we played this year - pass to Stamkos and hope he scores. Does not make sense at all

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:21 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligthningstrikes View Post
ok, then who will play 2nd line??? Malone will miss some games for sure, and we will be stuck with rookies or 3rd-4th liners, or we play the same strategy that we played this year - pass to Stamkos and hope he scores. Does not make sense at all
It's a sarcasm smiley.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 04:17 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
It's a sarcasm smiley.
oh, ok then.
Vancouver won't get much for Luongo - 1. he has horrible contract,2.he is 33, 3. there are only a few teams he'll go to
if TB were to make a offer my guess would be -
Bergeron, Garon late 2nd rounder and a depth player like Labrie

they could use another D, Garon will provide a good backup and they get a good pick

Old
04-28-2012, 06:18 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wiserman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligthningstrikes View Post
oh, ok then.
Vancouver won't get much for Luongo - 1. he has horrible contract,2.he is 33, 3. there are only a few teams he'll go to
if TB were to make a offer my guess would be -
Bergeron, Garon late 2nd rounder and a depth player like Labrie

they could use another D, Garon will provide a good backup and they get a good pick
Those are French Canadians. They are safe forever, apparently.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-28-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:54 AM
HoseEmDown

I'd gladly take Luongos 5.33 mil cap hit over TT and his 5 mil. It just depends on how cheap we can get him, anything more than a late 2nd and spare parts isn't worth it. His cap hit is only 2.3 more than Roli, so if we get rid of MAB and his 1 mil, Fedoruks buy out at close to 1 mil gone, he really would be able to fit cap wise, contract length and money may be an issue.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:42 AM
TurboBrick

We could always try Niittymäki, he's UFA and looking for one more shot in NHL before heading to Russia.

TurboBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrick View Post
We could always try Niittymäki, he's UFA and looking for one more shot in NHL before heading to Russia.
simply NO!

Old
04-28-2012, 10:00 AM
CP

This whole Luongo frenzy reminds me so much of the Bieksa death watch the media had two years ago, which turned out to be much to do about nothing. I wonder if perhaps Gillis is being honest and the two are still talking and nothing has been decided. Gillis holds all the cards. Even if Luongo wants a trade, there is nothing forcing Gillis to make one. If Luongo doesn't like that, he could sit out and lose salary I guess, but that just gives Schneider more starts. Gillis can also match any offer for Schneider, take him to arbitration, or come to a deal with him. That's his right under the current collective agreement. Schneider is still a restricted free agent, and by simply letting a few expiring contracts go (Pahlson and Raymond) he will easily fit under the cap. Basically, I'm saying if Gillis doesn't get an offer that helps the Canucks significantly, he won't do anything. There is no gun to his head. The pressure to make a deal is all on the teams who haven't made the playoffs and are in need of a top goalie. And thankfully, Gillis is too stoic to be faked out by the hyperbole stating otherwise.

CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrick View Post
I think that ship sailed when Nitty went unclaimed on waivers a few months back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
This whole Luongo frenzy reminds me so much of the Bieksa death watch the media had two years ago, which turned out to be much to do about nothing. I wonder if perhaps Gillis is being honest and the two are still talking and nothing has been decided. Gillis holds all the cards. Even if Luongo wants a trade, there is nothing forcing Gillis to make one. If Luongo doesn't like that, he could sit out and lose salary I guess, but that just gives Schneider more starts. Gillis can also match any offer for Schneider, take him to arbitration, or come to a deal with him. That's his right under the current collective agreement. Schneider is still a restricted free agent, and by simply letting a few expiring contracts go (Pahlson and Raymond) he will easily fit under the cap. Basically, I'm saying if Gillis doesn't get an offer that helps the Canucks significantly, he won't do anything. There is no gun to his head. The pressure to make a deal is all on the teams who haven't made the playoffs and are in need of a top goalie. And thankfully, Gillis is too stoic to be faked out by the hyperbole stating otherwise.
That's the best case scenario, I want nothing more than Vancouver to end up with a 6.7M backup goalie and for us to send a ton of picks to LA for Bernier.

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:13 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Schneider isn't eligible for team elected arbitration. So no, he can't. Schneider is very much susceptible to offer sheets if he wants to be.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Labrie View Post
That's the best case scenario, I want nothing more than Vancouver to end up with a 6.7M backup goalie and for us to send a ton of picks to LA for Bernier.
Finally we agree, I enjoy have two number ones, one backing up the other, and making the playoffs, but I am not sure Bernier will get your team there??

Old
04-28-2012, 10:18 AM
CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Schneider is very much susceptible to offer sheets if he wants to be.
Which Gillis can match and has room under the cap to do so.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:27 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Which Gillis can match and has room under the cap to do so.
Yes I'm sure he would love to have 10M tied up in two goalies.

Enjoy having wasted cap space sitting on the bench as your defensive and forward cores get worse because of it.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Finally we agree, I enjoy have two number ones, one backing up the other, and making the playoffs, but I am not sure Bernier will get your team there??
As long as your goal is to only make the playoffs you should be fine!

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:36 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I'd gladly take Luongos 5.33 mil cap hit over TT and his 5 mil. It just depends on how cheap we can get him, anything more than a late 2nd and spare parts isn't worth it. His cap hit is only 2.3 more than Roli, so if we get rid of MAB and his 1 mil, Fedoruks buy out at close to 1 mil gone, he really would be able to fit cap wise, contract length and money may be an issue.
Why? They're basically the same skill level(you won't know how they perform behind a porous defense until they do) and TT is cheaper and for only one year.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 11:10 AM
CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Yes I'm sure he would love to have 10M tied up in two goalies.

Enjoy having wasted cap space sitting on the bench as your defensive and forward cores get worse because of it.
I don't think it will be 10 million, but nevertheless it could be arranged. The Canucks always spend to the cap, so it is not a huge problem. I wouldn't mind watching this team next year:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.925m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Justin Schultz ($1.250m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)
Sami Salo ($2.000m) / Aaron Rome ($0.750m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($3.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,153,333; BONUSES: $125,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $146,667

This is just an example and we could argue about specifics, but the point is it is not unreasonable to have both goalies back next year. This line-up gives out prospects a chance. The line-up has more skill and gets younger, larger and grittier. Of course this is assuming Justin Schultz will sign in his home province? Not sure if Salo returns which could mean another 2 million cap space. I think it is an improved team.

Old
04-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
If Bernier or anyone else for that matter, can post at least a .910 save percentage, we'll be good to go. People forget we were right in the thick of things with Garon and his .900 save percentage for most of the season until he got hurt. Our defense will be upgraded from last season as well.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:21 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Why? They're basically the same skill level(you won't know how they perform behind a porous defense until they do) and TT is cheaper and for only one year.
Cause Luongo is 5 years younger, we can at least have some stability for a bit. TT doesn't have much left maybe 2 years. I also think Luongo would be cheaper to acquire. I'd prefer a goalie younger to both of them but I'm not about giving up too much. Thomas has always played behind a better D than Luongo so I think Luongo would be better in front of ours.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Crows*

I came here to advocate a Lu for vinny deal. Then I looked at vinnys cap hit... Yikes

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 12:59 PM
BarberioTheBarbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I came here to advocate a Lu for vinny deal. Then I looked at vinnys cap hit... Yikes
Then you realized how he is never moving...ever...

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote