HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Not Bashing Lou.. just a question...

Old
03-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Eesh

vCash: 500
Not Bashing Lou.. just a question...

What do you guys think.... do you think another team would take a chance on Lou considering his long term contract? Or not a chance would another team even think of trying to get him. I'm not here to Bash Lou. There are alot of teams out there who are in dier need of a goalie. Tampa, the Devils being that Marty is just about done, maybe Toronto... I would like to see us retain Schnider.

Eesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:19 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
It's either Schneider or bust (no trade).

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:27 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
It's either Schneider or bust (no trade).
This.
I think it's pretty likely that Schneider gets traded considering Lack is NHL ready.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Some teams would consider it, but it won't happen. Schneiderman is the one that's going.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Eesh

How can you be so sure that Schnider is going?? What if Lou has another string of brutal games in the Playoffs.. The opportunity to shed Lou and use that money for a someone else would be too great to pass up.. Schnider moves into number 1 and Lack is backup.

I suppose we could get compensated pretty heavily if we trade Schnider for pics.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:42 PM
pavlelink

Luongo is still the better goalie while Schneider has ALOT more value.
That, in a nut shell, is why we trade Schneiderman.

pavlelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
How can you be so sure that Schnider is going?? What if Lou has another string of brutal games in the Playoffs.. The opportunity to shed Lou and use that money for a someone else would be too great to pass up.. Schnider moves into number 1 and Lack is backup.

I suppose we could get compensated pretty heavily if we trade Schnider for pics.
Then why would a team want him... I'm 100% positive Schneider is being traded before Luongo.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Burningblades

Luongo's and Schneider's ES% is the same, actually Luongo's is better but Cory's PK% is epic at 95.6%. Is this him being at better PK goalie then anyone else in the league by like a 3-4SV% than any other goalie in the league or just a statistical anomaly.

Burningblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Then why would a team want him... I'm 100% positive Schneider is being traded before Luongo.
So if Luongo has a brutal post-season, we stick with him anyways, simply because he has no value? That makes alot of sense.

If Schneider needs to take over for Luongo in the playoffs and leads us to a cup somehow, or just flat out does really really well (hypothetically), guaranteed, Schneider will be our starter instead of Luongo from then on, no matter how you make the move.

Luongo's absolutely in the driver's seat though. He'd pretty much have to wipe out entirely for it to happen.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Eesh

Quote:
Its the age old notion that a player gets a new start in a new city. Other teams would want him because he has had some past success. I think Tampa for one, would be interested in Lou.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:00 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
So if Luongo has a brutal post-season, we stick with him anyways, simply because he has no value? That makes alot of sense.

If Schneider needs to take over for Luongo in the playoffs and leads us to a cup somehow, or just flat out does really really well (hypothetically), guaranteed, Schneider will be our starter instead of Luongo from then on, no matter how you make the move.

Luongo's absolutely in the driver's seat though. He'd pretty much have to wipe out entirely for it to happen.
Who is going to want Luongo's contract (even though his cap hit is decent) + his mental game doesn't always make you secure + he seems to let iffy goals in during big games (will come up big in games, sometimes).

Schneider just has more value, regardless. It all depends if teams want a 33 year old goalie, or 25 year old goalie for cheaper.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Who is going to want Luongo's contract (even though his cap hit is decent) + his mental game doesn't always make you secure + he seems to let iffy goals in during big games (will come up big in games, sometimes).

Schneider just has more value, regardless. It all depends if teams want a 33 year old goalie, or 25 year old goalie for cheaper.
If Luongo absolutely blows up in the playoffs, and I don't mean playing the way he has in previous years, I mean is legitimately replaced and outclassed by Schneider who outperforms him by a wide margin, you would just say "Oh well, guess we're stuck with Luongo" and keep going with him in the seasons after regardless?

Nobody would do that. Even if it's for zero return, there are teams who are going to be okay with Luongo's contract-- there won't be many contenders, and Luongo won't ideally want to waive his NTC to goto many of them, but the situation being outlined above would be pretty bleak for Luongo here, and he'd probably feel obligated to pick one.

To me, saying that we would stick with Luongo even in this extreme case just sounds like someone REALLY wants Luongo to stay.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-08-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:26 AM
fools russian

Quote:
If Luongo absolutely blows up in the playoffs, and I don't mean playing the way he has in previous years, I mean is legitimately replaced and outclassed by Schneider who outperforms him by a wide margin, you would just say "Oh well, guess we're stuck with Luongo" and keep going with him in the seasons after regardless?

Nobody would do that. Even if it's for zero return, there are teams who are going to be okay with Luongo's contract-- there won't be many contenders, and Luongo won't ideally want to waive his NTC to goto many of them, but the situation being outlined above would be pretty bleak for Luongo here, and he'd probably feel obligated to pick one.
edit: what this guy said.

I definitely wouldn't have thought this a year ago, but I'm starting to now.

fools russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:42 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:

To me, saying that we would stick with Luongo even in this extreme case just sounds like someone REALLY wants Luongo to stay.
Well, yes, if Luongo absolutely chokes this season (as you said, worst then past seasons) then we'd look at our options. We wouldn't get much in return IMO, but we would get some cap relief. Of course, it would just have to depend on what team wnats him after him choking in the playoffs, and would he even waive his NTC to move to a worse team (if that's the case)? I think he'd consider waiving his NTC heavily, but I don't think it'd be concrete to whether or not he would.

On the other hand, he may feel that he's not wanted here anymore, so he'd waive since he just wouldn't feel comfortable playing in this environment. Then again, didn't MG also say he'll never ask anyone to waive their clauses? If that's the case, there's another reason why I think Luongo would be here still.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:01 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Luongo was our playoff MVP last year and people crucified him. What's he gotta do this year for people to be happy...score some goals?

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
xtr3m

The team scored zero goals in the game seven. Can't pin it all on Luongo. The team knows it, the management knows. All things considered, Luongo still gives this franchise the best chance. He is going nowhere.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Mojo Risin*
Burrows #1 fan

I can't possibly imagine him being here next year if he performs the way he did in the playoffs last year. How can you just piss away your playoff chances year after year? The management must want to win.

Mojo Risin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Kassassin
#TeamSchneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo was our playoff MVP last year and people crucified him. What's he gotta do this year for people to be happy...score some goals?
Nope, just win one cup and he'll shut everyone up.

Kassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Wetcoaster

NTC? Gillis has been crystal clear that he will not request a player to waive a NTC. He has said this a number of occasions including:
Transcript: Mike Gillis Teleconference
by Alanah McGinley on 02/23/09 at 04:34 PM ET

Q. You’ve seen how other GMs have dealt with players with no-trade clauses. How have you and how might you do things differently in discussions with those players at this time of the season?

MIKE GILLIS: Well, you know, having been on the player’s side for a number of years, I know that there is a quid pro quo that goes along with no-trade or no-movement clauses. The players are making a commitment to that city and team for a variety of reasons. There’s a price to be paid for that commitment and the security of not moving.

My philosophy has always been not to waive a no-trade clause. If a player comes to us and is dissatisfied or feels they might have a better opportunity elsewhere, obviously we would listen and try to accommodate those wishes.

But I am not going to ask a player to waive a no-trade. If we felt that there was dissatisfaction on the player’s part, we would perhaps discuss what his wishes would be. But that would be the extent of it."
In Luongo's case the NTC applies to the team until 2016-17 (seven years in to the deal) - after that he can be traded.
http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id...5-6c328be5e1d1

I am unsure why people keep proposing fantasy trades involving Luongo since he is under a NTC.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:20 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothEndsOfTheRink View Post
I can't possibly imagine him being here next year if he performs the way he did in the playoffs last year. How can you just piss away your playoff chances year after year? The management must want to win.
Performs the way he did last year? You mean perform to the level to get us to the SCF? Yeah, what a terrible goalie.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:23 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
NTC? Gillis has been crystal clear that he will not request a player to waive a NTC. He has said this a number of occasions including:
Transcript: Mike Gillis Teleconference
by Alanah McGinley on 02/23/09 at 04:34 PM ET

Q. You’ve seen how other GMs have dealt with players with no-trade clauses. How have you and how might you do things differently in discussions with those players at this time of the season?

MIKE GILLIS: Well, you know, having been on the player’s side for a number of years, I know that there is a quid pro quo that goes along with no-trade or no-movement clauses. The players are making a commitment to that city and team for a variety of reasons. There’s a price to be paid for that commitment and the security of not moving.

My philosophy has always been not to waive a no-trade clause. If a player comes to us and is dissatisfied or feels they might have a better opportunity elsewhere, obviously we would listen and try to accommodate those wishes.

But I am not going to ask a player to waive a no-trade. If we felt that there was dissatisfaction on the player’s part, we would perhaps discuss what his wishes would be. But that would be the extent of it."
In Luongo's case the NTC applies to the team until 2016-17 (seven years in to the deal) - after that he can be traded.
http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id...5-6c328be5e1d1

I am unsure why people keep proposing fantasy trades involving Luongo since he is under a NTC.
Thank you, Wet. I knew MG said for a fact that he wouldn't ask guys to waive their clauses, just didn't have concrete proof of it.

I doubt Luongo get's traded even if he didn't have a NTC TBH.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:32 AM
KISSland

Time will tell whether he'll be here next season or not. I don't think its out of the question, just an extremely unlikely possibility.

I do wonder his value though even with his term and clauses I'm sure most GM's would pony up a nice package.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Mojo Risin*
Burrows #1 fan

Quote:
Performs the way he did last year? You mean perform to the level to get us to the SCF? Yeah, what a terrible goalie.
Come on man, the goals he was letting in in games 4 and 5 against Chicago and against Boston in games 3, 4, 6, and 7 were incredibly soft. I don't want to get into this but we can't just pretend those games never happened..

Mojo Risin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:43 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothEndsOfTheRink View Post
Come on man, the goals he was letting in in games 4 and 5 against Chicago and against Boston in games 3, 4, 6, and 7 were incredibly soft. I don't want to get into this but we can't just pretend those games never happened..
Yeah, it was pretty brutal to see Luongo out there by himself. The rest of the team must've got stuck in the plan or something. The team in front of him could've helped his case a bit more. I mean, of course he had soft goals, but some could've been prevented if he had some decent help.

Won't matter what he does this year in the playoffs, he's staying because MG won't ask him to waive his NTC, and Luongo wouldn't waive IMO anyways.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:54 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
it's also been stated that hypothetically, if Luongo was made available that there would be a lot of teams interested.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote