HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not Bashing Lou.. just a question...

Old
03-08-2012, 03:11 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
No doubt a few teams queue up for Luongo if he is ever available, even if he is struggling in the playoffs he's a great regular season goalie and they could use it.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Kagee*

vCash: 500
Who knows, maybe Luongo gives the green light for a trade in the offseason if things go rough in the playoffs. Just a thought!

And what everyone has said a billion times now, we'll just wait and see what transpires in the postseason for these goaltenders.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:16 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
NTC? Gillis has been crystal clear that he will not request a player to waive a NTC. He has said this a number of occasions including:
Transcript: Mike Gillis Teleconference
by Alanah McGinley on 02/23/09 at 04:34 PM ET

Q. You’ve seen how other GMs have dealt with players with no-trade clauses. How have you and how might you do things differently in discussions with those players at this time of the season?

MIKE GILLIS: Well, you know, having been on the player’s side for a number of years, I know that there is a quid pro quo that goes along with no-trade or no-movement clauses. The players are making a commitment to that city and team for a variety of reasons. There’s a price to be paid for that commitment and the security of not moving.

My philosophy has always been not to waive a no-trade clause. If a player comes to us and is dissatisfied or feels they might have a better opportunity elsewhere, obviously we would listen and try to accommodate those wishes.

But I am not going to ask a player to waive a no-trade. If we felt that there was dissatisfaction on the player’s part, we would perhaps discuss what his wishes would be. But that would be the extent of it."
In Luongo's case the NTC applies to the team until 2016-17 (seven years in to the deal) - after that he can be traded.
http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id...5-6c328be5e1d1

I am unsure why people keep proposing fantasy trades involving Luongo since he is under a NTC.
Well if the fans and city rip on Luongo if he has another streaky playoffs play again, Gillis might ask Luongo about it. I'd love to keep Schneider over Luongo but that's because Schneider is younger and can give us more years of solid goaltending.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:38 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Eddie Lack could be our next Cory Schneider for all we know, and by then Luongo will likely be passed his peak. Lack is 6'4, so that works heavily in his advantage, especially as a goaltender. He's putting up some good numbers in the AHL.

Trade Schneider (get a great return), keep Luongo, trade Luongo (get a good/decent return), keep Lack.

PG Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:08 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Well, yes, if Luongo absolutely chokes this season (as you said, worst then past seasons) then we'd look at our options. We wouldn't get much in return IMO, but we would get some cap relief. Of course, it would just have to depend on what team wnats him after him choking in the playoffs, and would he even waive his NTC to move to a worse team (if that's the case)? I think he'd consider waiving his NTC heavily, but I don't think it'd be concrete to whether or not he would.

On the other hand, he may feel that he's not wanted here anymore, so he'd waive since he just wouldn't feel comfortable playing in this environment. Then again, didn't MG also say he'll never ask anyone to waive their clauses? If that's the case, there's another reason why I think Luongo would be here still.
There's no chance, in that situation, that Gillis would throw up his arms and go "Oh well!" and then trades Schneider. Saying that he won't ask a player to waive an NTC does not automatically mean Luongo's starting job is set in stone REGARDLESS of play. At the very worse, Luongo would be forced to play backup to Schneider for a considerable time during the regular season (because they sure as hell aren't immediately trading Schneider if Luongo put up that kind of performance), and I just don't see any way Luongo wouldn't eventually demand a trade anyways.

Luongo's not going to stick around if he's not wanted, and the team isn't going to want him to stick around if he gets horribly outplayed by Schneider.

It just doesn't happen. There's no possible scenario where Luongo craps the bed in the playoffs, Schneider dominates, and Schneider ends up being traded and we stick with Luongo as our starter, IMO. I would be seriously upset at management if this happened. Worst case scenario would be they live with a really expensive 8-9 million dollar goaltending tandem where Schneider is the Starter until Luongo re-inspires confidence in them.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-08-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:15 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
There's no chance, in that situation, that Gillis would throw up his arms and go "Oh well!" and then trades Schneider. At the very worse, Luongo would be forced to play backup to Schneider for a considerable time during the regular season (because they sure as hell aren't immediately trading Schneider if Luongo put up that kind of performance), and I just don't see any way Luongo wouldn't eventually demand a trade anyways.

Luongo's not going to stick around if he's not wanted, and the team isn't going to want him to stick around if he gets horribly outplayed by Schneider.

It just doesn't happen. There's no possible scenario where Luongo craps the bed in the playoffs, Schneider dominates, and Schneider ends up being traded and we stick with Luongo as our starter, IMO.
Luongo deserves better then that IMO, regardless of how he performs in the playoffs. He deserves to be asked by MG what he thinks and if he wants to be moved (like in the article Wet posted).

After what Luongo has done for this franchise, you just put him as the backup (while wasting cap space doing it) and pray to the lord every night he eventually asks for a trade. Luongo would still be the starter IMO, but for the new season, if Schneider outplays him, then yeah, sure, Schneider is the starter for a while.

If anyone wants out of Vancouver, it's Schneider, he wants to be a number one goalie and I just don't see that happening with Luongo here. Another reason why I don't see that happening, is because of Luongo's contract, so it's almost like Luongo has to play a good chunk of games.

I say keep Schneider as long as possible, and trade him if Luongo is playing good, if not, then you have to evaluate what to do. Also, I think have lots of money tied into two goalies is quite interesting because it sure sacrifices other options to improve on the roster.

PG Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Luongo deserves better then that IMO, regardless of how he performs in the playoffs. He deserves to be asked by MG what he thinks and if he wants to be moved (like in the article Wet posted).

After what Luongo has done for this franchise, you just put him as the backup (while wasting cap space doing it) and pray to the lord every night he eventually asks for a trade. Luongo would still be the starter IMO, but for the new season, if Schneider outplays him, then yeah, sure, Schneider is the starter for a while.

If anyone wants out of Vancouver, it's Schneider, he wants to be a number one goalie and I just don't see that happening with Luongo here. Another reason why I don't see that happening, is because of Luongo's contract, so it's almost like Luongo has to play a good chunk of games.

I say keep Schneider as long as possible, and trade him if Luongo is playing good, if not, then you have to evaluate what to do. Also, I think have lots of money tied into two goalies is quite interesting because it sure sacrifices other options to improve on the roster.
This is what I'm saying would happen, except why would Luongo still be starter? In this scenario, Luongo would be the backup until he personally asks for a trade, which, if put in that situation, I don't see any possible way he wouldn't. Schneider would likely continue to be starter going into the next playoff (unless he doesn't play well with increased games/minutes), and be signed to what he deserves, even if it cap-straps the rest of the team, because in this scenario, Luongo would no longer be trusted. Luongo's contract would just be treated like an albatross that you have to live with, IMO. It would be a different story and just be super complicated, if Luongo convincingly wrestles back the starting job during the following regular season of course.

I'm just arguing there's no scenario where Schneider gets traded in favor of Luongo even if Luongo craps the bed and Schneider dominates. Management is not that stupid and blindly loyal to give Luongo whatever he wants regardless of play. Otherwise, they haven't learned anything from the Burke/Crawford days.

I would assume that if Schneider outplays him by a wide margin and wins us a cup or something, Luongo would do the right thing and ask for a trade immediately in the offseason anyways-- he's not going to want to stick around and put up with the media-scrutiny just because he likes it here and doesn't mind screwing things up for everyone else. Luongo would be in Schneider's current situation, if not way worse and with way more pressure to leave-- I strongly disagree with you-- In this situation, if anyone will want to leave, it's Luongo, IMO. Why would Schneider want to leave at all if he just won a cup and won the starting the job from a Vezina finalist for a team that just won a cup?

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-08-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
As much as I love Roberto, if we go down in flames again, we may think of having to trade him.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:09 AM
biturbo19

If Luongo were made available, there would be teams interested. Despite that contract. When it became known that Nash wanted out (underperforming on an enormous contract, playoff questionmarks, NTC, etc), there were certainly teams very interested in his services...only extravagant demands regarding the trade return by the Jackets really nixed the deal at the deadline, and there will surely be a revisit of that saga in the summer. Not to say that Luongo is as in-demand a commodity as Nash, or that he would fetch anywhere near the same return...but just as Nash is valued despite some questionmarks and an enormous contract, so too would Luongo be. Like Nash, Luongo is still in the upper echelon of players at his position. As a regular season goaltender at least, Luongo is a top performer year in and year out, and has shown the ability to play very well on lackluster teams in the past. Those big contracts don't seem to scare teams as much if they think they're getting a truly productive and valuable player, and Luongo's cap-hit is actually fairly decent all things considered. Not to mention the front-loading makes it much easier to swallow for teams with less actual dollars to spend.

That said, it seems extremely unlikely that Gillis would make Luongo available. Or that Luongo would make himself available, with his NTC. Barring some absurd catastrophe in the playoffs this year, Schneider is the moveable asset. Even if Luongo puts up another rollercoaster of a playoffs like last year...if we go deep with Luongo, he's staying. If Schneider somehow usurps the playoff starting job and carries us deep...then you've got a tricky situation. But outside of that, Luongo has shown the ability to get this team to the playoffs and whether in spite of him or not, make it to within one game of winning the Stanley Cup.

For better or worse, he's almost certainly staying, unless something drastic changes between now and the summer. And more to the point of this thread, i'd suggest that the real hold-up on the idea of moving Luongo is indeed on the Canucks end of things, rather than on a lack of potential suitors for a top-10 netminder.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:09 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothEndsOfTheRink View Post
Come on man, the goals he was letting in in games 4 and 5 against Chicago and against Boston in games 3, 4, 6, and 7 were incredibly soft. I don't want to get into this but we can't just pretend those games never happened..
The team scored 8 goals in a 7 game series....A Hasek + Roy hybrid couldn't have won the cup with that kind of goal support... Maybe we should trade the whole team... You can't pretend it didn't happen.

Do you recognize that Luongo was our playoff MVP last year?

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:27 AM
MAGICMAN1963

All depends on how Luongo performs in the playoffs this year.If he is great then he is a hero.If not,the the fans and media will chase him outta here.IMO you dont know what your going to get from him game to game.He is, like i have stated to Dr Jekyle& Mr Hyde.Good thing we have CS still,he is plan B.

MAGICMAN1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:47 AM
rune74

You guys all realize we got to the stanley cup finals last year, game 7 right? Yeah, that was a rollercoaster ride all right. What a horrible post season for loungo. What crazy fans we have.

rune74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

If we decide we WANT to go with Schneider, we have that option. We inform Luongo at the start of the season that Schneider will be the starter, he can either request a trade or stay and fight for his job back. If he stays, I don't imagine it will be for long. We can absorb an extra goalies cap hit by tossing someone on LTIR for a few months until the situation is sorted.

If he then requests a trade, we move him out east. The return won't be great, expect a roster player and a 1st, but we'll be able to go with Schneider.

We do have options, believe it or not. Gillis isn't considering them at all right now, but if Luongo crumbles in the playoffs he may re-visit the idea of moving him. Teams will stay take a chance on him, keep in mind his first "out clause" is in like 2 years.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Hal 9000*

I know its been said before, but if the Sedins don't score this team is going nowhere. It won't matter who we have in the goal, if our first line can't get over their playoff woes, we're done.

But yes, If we choose to run Luongo out of town, many teams would be there to take him.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:32 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
I know its been said before, but if the Sedins don't score this team is going nowhere. It won't matter who we have in the goal, if our first line can't get over their playoff woes, we're done.

But yes, If we choose to run Luongo out of town, many teams would be there to take him.
If the Sedins don't score again do we run them out of town? Or do we still blame the goalie for our lack of offense?

03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoVonMatterhorn View Post
This.
I think it's pretty likely that Schneider gets traded considering Lack is NHL ready.
Huh?

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:41 AM
sticknrink

I'm sure you can find a quote with Gillis saying he won't be trading Hodgson.

And see that last line. If there's "dissatisfaction" with the player, which seems to me still an admission that he'll move a player with an NTC.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

hey, if we can trade a disgraced and broken bertuzzi for one of the best goalies in the league just entering his prime, maybe we can trade a disgraced and broken luongo for one of the best physical scoring wingers in the league just entering his prime... if it comes to that of course. i have faith in lou.

we would just need to find some way for jamie benn to be traded to the panthers. then lou goes back to the italian restaurant in exchange for benn. woo.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
I'm sure you can find a quote with Gillis saying he won't be trading Hodgson.

And see that last line. If there's "dissatisfaction" with the player, which seems to me still an admission that he'll move a player with an NTC.
I have not seen any such quote.

And Hodgson did not have a NTC.

Gillis is clear he will not initiate any discussion.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
The team scored zero goals in the game seven. Can't pin it all on Luongo. The team knows it, the management knows. All things considered, Luongo still gives this franchise the best chance. He is going nowhere.
Indeed, that's why Gillis' work this season re-shaped our forward lines.

If Lu becomes the back-up in the playoffs and Cory plays well (earns the starting job) I can see Gillis hold onto Cory.

If Lu is indeed told Cory's the starter I can see him asking for a trade. That's the only why I see Luongo moving.

kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Gillis is clear he will not initiate any discussion.
Unless he "feels" the player is dissatisfied. He's left himself a pretty big loophole there.

We don't live in a world of absolutes. It's extremely unlikely that Luongo will be traded, but it's certainly not impossible.

Peyton Manning, in the summer of 2011: "...it is official that I will be an Indianapolis Colt for my entire career. I will not play for another team. My last down of football will be with the Colts, which means a great deal to me."

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:18 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
Huh?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=104478

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Unless he "feels" the player is dissatisfied. He's left himself a pretty big loophole there.

We don't live in a world of absolutes. It's extremely unlikely that Luongo will be traded, but it's certainly not impossible.

Peyton Manning, in the summer of 2011: "...it is official that I will be an Indianapolis Colt for my entire career. I will not play for another team. My last down of football will be with the Colts, which means a great deal to me."
Well Irsay had 35 million reasons not to re-sign him.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
dhabums*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
What do you guys think.... do you think another team would take a chance on Lou considering his long term contract? Or not a chance would another team even think of trying to get him. I'm not here to Bash Lou. There are alot of teams out there who are in dier need of a goalie. Tampa, the Devils being that Marty is just about done, maybe Toronto... I would like to see us retain Schnider.
Take a look at what Bryz just signed for and what he brings. Then ask yourself, is he better than Luongo?

Getting Luongo on your team is NOT taking a chance, it's getting one of the better goalies in the NHL.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Well Irsay had 35 million reasons not to re-sign him.
And Peyton has a neck made out of pasta and string...

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote