HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
I love Morrow, but he's still got a lot to prove. He may not hesitate much in junior or against weaker preseason lineups and that's a good sign, but the speed of real NHL regular season and playoff games can make you start hesitating in a hurry.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:24 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats huge for me. I really wanted to hate going with a defenseman again in the draft but Morrow is just way to good. IMO he's better than Letang at the same age. Letang had some hockey to learn when going pro... Morrow already knows it.

It starting to look like the BPA is going to be a defenseman again this year. The boards are going to explode this summer.
I'm learning to be less concerned with who we draft. If he's a good player, then he's a good asset for this organization.

Plus getting a guy like Neal, and having a few winger prospects in the pipeline make it more palatable. We'll be fine until those players (hopefully) pan out.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:52 PM
JTG

Morrow does have more offensive savvy than Letang, and he has that bomb of a shot to boot. I don't get attached to prospects, but I am a gigantic Morrow fan.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats huge for me. I really wanted to hate going with a defenseman again in the draft but Morrow is just way to good. IMO he's better than Letang at the same age. Letang had some hockey to learn when going pro... Morrow already knows it.

It starting to look like the BPA is going to be a defenseman again this year. The boards are going to explode this summer.
Letang was pretty accomplished at his age... I think he may turn out a lot like Letang in some ways, but it is asking a lot for him to be a top 5 blueliner in the league.

I do know he will kill it on the PP and really help their transition game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I love Morrow, but he's still got a lot to prove. He may not hesitate much in junior or against weaker preseason lineups and that's a good sign, but the speed of real NHL regular season and playoff games can make you start hesitating in a hurry.
Assuming he gets a green light, I think he will eat up the NHL offensively from day one. He has ridiculous skill.

My only question is how far along he will be in his own end. That is much harder to judge than offensive ability.

Its rare I can't find a problem with a prospect, but I seriously can't say anything negative. So be it.

That can and very well may change when he plays agt. men, however. I keep likening him to Cam Fowler (who I love) and Fowler is still learning to play competent NHL defense, but that doesn't mean he is a liability - I see Morrow in that same vein almost immediately.

Unless he is atrocious in his own end in the pros, as I keep saying, this team will have a very difficult time keeping him down in the A, when he has the unique skillset they desperately need to help rectify their schizo PP.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:07 PM
mpp9

Jiggy, do you see a scenario where they keep Despres down longer than Morrow?

Old
04-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Jiggy, do you see a scenario where they keep Despres down longer than Morrow?
Could happen. Despres has the look of being a fine blueliner, but he isn't going to help your PP as dramatically as Morrow.

Honestly, I see Morrow in the A to start the season, then getting called up when blueliners go down. Once he is in the NHL lineup and getting PP time - as I keep emphasizing, DB and Shero are going to find it hard to send him back down.

He is really going to make a big difference on the PP and moving the puck. Again, unless he is atrocious on the back end, the mistakes he makes defensively will be more than made up for by what he can do for your PP and transition game. He is that good.

He is just a top tier prospect - what else can you say?

Old
04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
JTG

What has stuck with me about Morrow in his very brief stint here is that when he was playing on the PP unit with Sid and Geno, he deferred to nobody. If he had a shot...he took it. No hesitation. If he saw a lane, he got rid of the puck quickly. No hesitation. It just looked to natural for him, and he played like a cocky son of a *****. I love it, and that's what I am excited to see.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
JTG

And another thing that excites me is that if Simon Despres is a competitor, being a 1st rounder himself, Joe Morrow climbing up his back on the depth chart should make Despres that much better. If that guy learns how to throw hits consistently...he could be devastating. A man who is 6'4, 230 who can get up to the kind of speeds he can get to...it's the old force=mass(acceleration). Whatever he hits is just going to be blown up.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And another thing that excites me is that if Simon Despres is a competitor, being a 1st rounder himself, Joe Morrow climbing up his back on the depth chart should make Despres that much better. If that guy learns how to throw hits consistently...he could be devastating. A man who is 6'4, 230 who can get up to the kind of speeds he can get to...it's the old force=mass(acceleration). Whatever he hits is just going to be blown up.
Despres will most likely be a good all around player... but he is never going to have Morrow's skill.

That is what separates them. Morrow is just ill offensively.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Well, Morrow would have had a hard time deferring to Sid in the preseason since he was still up in the press box with that concussion problem.

I didn't notice him deferring to Malkin, but it was such a small sample size. I really don't want to make too much of a judgment on that small sample size. I want to see a lot more of this guy at the highest level and playing with Sid/Geno before I praise him for not deferring or hesitating etc. That stuff could very well creep into his game at the highest level. I hope not though.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
JTG

I agree. I said this in that thread a few months ago about who will be the better pro. I think Morrow could be everything Despres could be, except substantially better offensively.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Well, Morrow would have had a hard time deferring to Sid in the preseason since he was still up in the press box with that concussion problem.

I didn't notice him deferring to Malkin, but it was such a small sample size. I really don't want to make too much of a judgment on that small sample size. I want to see a lot more of this guy at the highest level and playing with Sid/Geno before I praise him for not deferring or hesitating etc. That stuff could very well creep into his game at the highest level. I hope not though.
Well did he defer to Sid? Amirite or amirite?

Old
04-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Well did he defer to Sid? Amirite or amirite?

I do agree with your point earlier that you can really see the confidence Morrow has particularly on offense. I do think if there is less hesitation in Morrow's game than Letang it probably comes from the confidence in his shooting. Sometimes it looks like Letang doesn't want to kill a play by taking the shot since shooting isn't really his specialty. Morrow's shot is arguably his biggest weapon and he showed no hesitation when there was a chance to use it in the preseason.

Old
04-03-2012, 06:02 PM
JTG

I could see Morrow being the big man on the powerplay, the same way Sarge was in his prime. It was Sarge's puck, and he determined where it went. If he wanted to shoot...he shot. If he wanted to pass...he passed. Morrow has a very similar feel to his game on the PP, IMO.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I could see Morrow being the big man on the powerplay, the same way Sarge was in his prime. It was Sarge's puck, and he determined where it went. If he wanted to shoot...he shot. If he wanted to pass...he passed. Morrow has a very similar feel to his game on the PP, IMO.
Letang is captain double clutch...

It's like Letang makes his decision when the puck is about to hit his stick.

Morrow seems to make his decision before the puck even leaves his teammates stick.

That is the best way I can describe the difference between the two.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Illinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Despres will most likely be a good all around player... but he is never going to have Morrow's skill.

That is what separates them. Morrow is just ill offensively.
Oh now you're getting me all hot.

Not like Sarge then. If you say he's got 'left-handed Shea Weber' potential then I'm probably going to need some alone time.
Why wasn't he drafted higher then? Did he add something to his skillset after the draft?

Old
04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post

Not like Sarge then. If you say he's got 'left-handed Shea Weber' potential then I'm probably going to need some alone time.
Why wasn't he drafted higher then? Did he add something to his skillset after the draft?
Shea Weber is one of a kind.

Like I said he is a Cam Fowler clone.

That is what I hope he turns into.

Weber is a freak.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:33 AM
bigd

Quote:

Morrow seems to make his decision before the puck even leaves his teammates stick.

You're talking the difference between Junior hockey and the NHL. The speed of the game takes a big leap just from juniors to the AHL. I have no doubt he'll be a good one but let's see what he can do in WBS first before we anoint him the PP savior. He still has a ways to go.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
You're talking the difference between Junior hockey and the NHL. The speed of the game takes a big leap just from juniors to the AHL. I have no doubt he'll be a good one but let's see what he can do in WBS first before we anoint him the PP savior. He still has a ways to go.
I know there is this odd fear on here of being too positive about a prospect, which is fine, but I call things how I see them.

I warned people about Caputi... I am warning them about BB and Kuhn... I warned Despres and GoGo would need to refine their games as well.

But Morrow is a different breed and no, he doesn't have that far to go. His offensive game is NHL ready right now and I am beyond certain his skill will be the glue that makes people fear this PP like never before.

I allowed for the possibility his work in his own end may need refining when he gets to the pros and it could keep him in the A, but right now I don't see those weaknesses.

Every great once in awhile a prospect comes along that you can't criticize and give the old cliched "he has to spend a year in the A" or "he isn't ready yet" line about.

The Pens blueline depth and other NHL ready prospects will most likely force him into the A to start off the season, but I will be shocked if he spends a full season there. He is just too skilled, period.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:21 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I know there is this odd fear on here of being too positive about a prospect, which is fine, but I call things how I see them.

I warned people about Caputi... I am warning them about BB and Kuhn... I warned Despres and GoGo would need to refine their games as well.

But Morrow is a different breed and no, he doesn't have that far to go. His offensive game is NHL ready right now and I am beyond certain his skill will be the glue that makes people fear this PP like never before.

I allowed for the possibility his work in his own end may need refining when he gets to the pros and it could keep him in the A, but right now I don't see those weaknesses.

Every great once in awhile a prospect comes along that you can't criticize and give the old cliched "he has to spend a year in the A" or "he isn't ready yet" line about.

The Pens blueline depth and other NHL ready prospects will most likely force him into the A to start off the season, but I will be shocked if he spends a full season there. He is just too skilled, period.
Can he possibly make any more mistakes than what we are already working with on the big club? *cough* Martin *cough* Orpik *cough*

Old
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Can he possibly make any more mistakes than what we are already working with on the big club? *cough* Martin *cough* Orpik *cough*
no.....but at least they have shown that they can play well. ......as for the rookies not as much.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:59 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
no.....but at least they have shown that they can play well. ......as for the rookies not as much.
They haven't really done it all season long, plus Orpik isn't getting any younger.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:22 AM
wej20

Dominik Uher's Spokane Chiefs made it through to the next round of the WHL playoffs, His stat line reads 6GP-1G-3A-4PTS -5. Adam Payerl's Belleville Bulls are out so he should be able to join WBS.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
I think Strait has acquitted himself quite well. I haven't seen him make any glaring mistakes thus far.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
JTG

Quote:

I agree. There was a play last night where Geno and Letang did the switch where Geno had the puck, Letang was standing at the top of the circles and Geno dished him up a pass. Letang has to one time that puck, and rather than one timing it, he double clutched and his window closed. All I could do was throw my hands up in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post

Morrow won't be Shea Weber. Weber is what he is because of his ridiculous size and awareness both offensively and defensively. Morrow will never have Weber's size, and the jury is out, IMO, on his defensive awareness until I see him play professionally. I do think he has very real potential to be a top tier offensive defenseman though.

Closed Thread