HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Preferences how? For the draft? I haven't really bothered with anything this year yet. For one, I didn't have the time. Plus the Pens never draft the guys I focus on.

I think we should bring in another goalie prospect, possibly sign a college stud like Milner (BC) or Dell (NoDak). And I'm curious what will happen with Daniil Tarasov who was at prospect camp last summer. He returned to the USHL as a 20 year old and put up 44-40-84 in 58 games (2nd in league scoring) while being listed as 6'1" and 192 lbs now.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
I'm a little concerned that Kuhnhackl's scoring slump from the regular season is carrying over into the playoffs. Hopefully last year's performance was more indicative of his potential, and this year is just a struggle to get on track due to his injury/suspension.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Burgs

I haven't seen any Niagara games but maybe he just lost his PP spot on that stacked team they have? Two powerplay goals all season isn't normal for a shooter like he is.

Anyway, very disappointing that our two best winger prospects had most of their seasons wiped out by injuries. Bennett is probably better off returning for his junior year. He should get tons of ice time now that Zucker and Shore have turned pro.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:07 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I haven't seen any Niagara games but maybe he just lost his PP spot on that stacked team they have? Two powerplay goals all season isn't normal for a shooter like he is.

Anyway, very disappointing that our two best winger prospects had most of their seasons wiped out by injuries. Bennett is probably better off returning for his junior year. He should get tons of ice time now that Zucker and Shore have turned pro.
From the boxscores I've seen he's definitely on the 2nd PP unit and playing with Strome and F.Hamilton at ES.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

I've reversed my position on Bennett and I tend to agree now that returning to Denver will be best for him. If he weren't a 1st round pick it'd be a no-brainer, so I think that's how it should be approached.

What about Kuhnhackl though? An overage season in juniors would probably be best but you don't see teams often using an overage roster spot AND an import spot on the same player. In the pros though he'll either be on the 3rd/4th line in the AHL or possibly the ECHL.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:07 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I think it might be a good idea for Kunh to come over. It seems like he might be getting buried on that team.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
wej20

Interesting to see how WBS shapes up next year.

Brian Lerg - Ben Street - ???????
Paul Thompson - Ryan Craig - Nick Petersen
Tom Kuhnhackl - Brian Gibbons - Keven Veilleux
Adam Payerl - Zach Sill - ??????

Despres -????
Morrow - Samuelsson
?????? - Grant

Thiessen/Munroe/AHL Starter
Killeen

I know Craig doesn't have a contract and I'd be surprised if any of Street, Lerg and Williams have contracts so the Baby Pens could be losing a huge chunk of their offence if those guys move on. Tangradi, Bortuzzo and Strait are all subject to waivers so I'd be pretty shocked if any of them are back next year and there is a decent chance Despres could be with the Big Pens to. Are guys like Thompson, Gibbons and Petersen ready to step up offensively? Will Veilleux be back on an AHL deal? Who will be between the pipes? Will only one of Grant or Sneep be back? or both? Just how many NHL vet Dmen will Shero supply WBS? I imagine at least 2. Looks like there will be quite a few changes that's for sure.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Jacob

A couple of the AHL-only guys will definitely earn two way contracts. I think Colin McDonald will probably be brought back to be a veteran presence & captain.

Petersen - Street - Walker
Lerg - Veilleux - McDonald
DeFazio - Gibbons - Thompson
Uher - Sill - Kuhnhackl
Rust, Schnell, Payerl

Despres - Sneep
Morrow - Bortuzzo
Mormina - Grant
Samuelsson, McNeill

Thiessen - veteran

Strait being either in the NHL, dealt or lost through waivers.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
wej20

Bortuzzo has to go through waivers to, I guess there is a chance he could get through but I'd be surprised. I guess Uher gets a contract, he could go back as an overager but he'd count for an import spot to but he might be worth it for some teams. Don't see McNeil getting an ELC but I guess it's possible if Sneep gets let go.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Jacob

I think Bortuzzo gets through waivers pretty easily. Every organization has at least 5 defenseman on one-way deals, and their own Bortuzzo-type prospects to worry about. He's nothing special.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:55 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I think Bortuzzo gets through waivers pretty easily. Every organization has at least 5 defenseman on one-way deals, and their own Bortuzzo-type prospects to worry about. He's nothing special.
well pre-season is the time to slip him through and he hasn't had as many games at the NHL level as Strait so it will be easier for him to get through.

Old
04-08-2012, 08:27 PM
JTG

Quote:
I don't know if he slips through easily, but I do agree with everything else. Best time to send him down is during the preseason when everyone else is trying to worry about their own Bortuzzo's. I could see a bottom feeding team taking a chance on him though and just giving him bottom 6 duty to see what they have. It'd be a no risk move really.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:41 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've reversed my position on Bennett and I tend to agree now that returning to Denver will be best for him. If he weren't a 1st round pick it'd be a no-brainer, so I think that's how it should be approached.

What about Kuhnhackl though? An overage season in juniors would probably be best but you don't see teams often using an overage roster spot AND an import spot on the same player. In the pros though he'll either be on the 3rd/4th line in the AHL or possibly the ECHL.
Agree on Bennett. Could be a different story if he had played a full, healthy season. But given the fact he didn't, spending one more year at Denver would definitely not be a bad thing.

Kuhnhackl, however, needs to be brought to WBS. I don't know where his head is at right now, but his developement has gotten off the rails -- and I truly believe he needs the solid coaching & instruction he can only get in WBS, especially from Heinze if he is still there.

Quote:
Disagree. I think Bortuzzo has stumbled a bit, first by missing training camp with a long-term injury, and then with a concussion. If he has a strong off-season with training and comes to camp in good shape, then I think he has reclaimed his spot in the top-7 going into next season.

Strait & Lovejoy are the ones who should get moved if Bortuzzo regains his form, and definitely do not believe Bortuzzo makes it through waivers. He's definitely an NHL-calibre defensemen, and there aren't too many of them that are 6'4 and bring the all-around game he does. I think he can be a great future 3rd pairing guy for a lot of years for the Pens.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
If Bortuzzo were 3 inches shorter he'd clear waivers easily...but he's 6'4", has a solid body of work, and decent potential. He may clear, but I'm really not betting on it. A bottom feeder would definitely be able to use him as a 6/7 guy if we can't. Considering we lost Nick Johnson this year I'm not really confident about our guys outright clearing. Minnesota and Columbus have too many connections with us and need too much help.

Lovejoy is going to be the odd-man out most likely and if it were a choice of one or the other I'm taking Bortuzzo over Strait.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
04-08-2012, 11:24 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

This year Tangradi was pretty much our only real prospect at forward on the Baby Pens. It would be nice to get a couple like Uher or Kuhn over. Maybe even get KV back.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
If Bortuzzo were 3 inches shorter he'd clear waivers easily...but he's 6'4", has a solid body of work, and decent potential. He may clear, but I'm really not betting on it. A bottom feeder would definitely be able to use him as a 6/7 guy if we can't. Considering we lost Nick Johnson this year I'm not really confident about our guys outright clearing. Minnesota and Columbus have too many connections with us and need too much help.

Lovejoy is going to be the odd-man out most likely and if it were a choice of one or the other I'm taking Bortuzzo over Strait.
But there's a lot more room around the NHL for bottom 6 forwards than bottom pairing d-men (even less for goalies).

Old
04-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
They do if the player is seen as an "impact" overager. If he's not a legitimate top line forward, top pairing defenseman, or workhorse #1 goalie, then clubs shy away from it. But a guy like Kuhnhackl would easily be brought back as an OA with some team in the OHL, even if Niagara chose not to.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Latrell View Post
But there's a lot more room around the NHL for bottom 6 forwards than bottom pairing d-men (even less for goalies).
Quality NHL ready D-men are in more demand. Especially those with top 4 upside.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
He and Strait are/were the best shutdown tandem in the A - so I'm sure other teams are aware of Bortuzzo.

I'm pretty sure he would get claimed if he was exposed to waivers.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

This is a no-brainer, neither of our RFA defenseman are getting through waivers next fall, it's just a matter of which one is traded this summer IMO....

Old
04-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Jacob

Kuhn with 2 goals in a 6-3 Niagara win tonight. 1 ES, 1 PP.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Kuhn with 2 goals in a 6-3 Niagara win tonight. 1 ES, 1 PP.
Thanx for the good news Jacob. Really want Das Kuhn to finish strong after this lost season. Lets hope he just had a hard time recovering from injury, suspension, and trade.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Jacob

In regards to McNeill as someone asked about the possibility of signing him to an ELC this summer- I think he's good enough to get a contract. It's not a *huge* loss if we didn't sign him, but I see room for him on our 50 roster limit and I think he's got some things you can't teach, and seems like a hard-working kid with a good head on his shoulders that can iron out the rest.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:48 AM
wej20

I think he's got a decent chance especially given it's unlikely that both Strait and Bortuzzo are back in WBS and possibly both could be gone.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:47 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:

A healthy Kuhn though is going to tear apart the OHL in ways that I just can't see being helpful to his development, as Niagara, though they'll likely trade him, will be a pretty barren roster compared to this year. He's going to have to pay his dues at the pro level and learn to play defensively anyhow if he wants to make the Penguins long term, so may as well get him in the pros now.

Closed Thread