HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
deakka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Right now we are slated to pick 27th.

If the 4 teams who make their respective Conference Finals are all lower in the standings (i.e. fewer regular season points) than us, the most we could move up is 4 spots.

So depending who advances to the final 4, we could be picking anywhere between 23 and 27.
Thats just lame. The teams that gets knocked out the 1st round should be the ones picking from 15-22 imo. Otherwise its like eating the cookie and still have it for a team that does a deeper playoff run than us and still gets the higher pick.

*Sigh* Guess im just dissapointed that we cant even get the counselation prize of picking a bit higher in the draft

Old
04-16-2012, 06:28 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Thats just lame. The teams that gets knocked out the 1st round should be the ones picking from 15-22 imo. Otherwise its like eating the cookie and still have it for a team that does a deeper playoff run than us and still gets the higher pick.

*Sigh* Guess im just dissapointed that we cant even get the counselation prize of picking a bit higher in the draft
Just be happy you don't have to watch them "play hockey" anymore. I use that term very loosely...

Old
04-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Just be happy you don't have to watch them "play hockey" anymore. I use that term very loosely...
I guess the Pens deserve that. Although the Flyers have been almost as horrendous defensively and goal-tending wise as the Pens. It's just been overshadowed because they've won the games.

Last edited by Captain Hook: 04-16-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Sexyllama ain't a troll after all.
Old
04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
^ Kind of trolling.

I guess the Pens deserve that. Although the Flyers have been almost as horrendous defensively and goal-tending wise as the Pens. It's just been overshadowed because they've won the games.
I'm not trolling? I'm a Pens fan... you gotta have fun with your team sometimes. There is really nothing we can say to defend them.

I said it on another thread. Even if we won, neither of these teams will go any where with the hot garbage defense.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
I'm not trolling? I'm a Pens fan
Wow. Sorry lama. Thought you were a Flyers fan trolling and rubbing it in.

Quote:
.... you gotta have fun with your team sometimes. There is really nothing we can say to defend them.

I said it on another thread. Even if we won, neither of these teams will go any where with the hot garbage defense.
We definitely agree on these two points.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:43 AM
deakka

Portland lost (6-7) and Spokane won (4-3). Morrow with 2 assists and Uher with a goal.
Both series are now tied 3-3 and the final games will be played on the 18th.

Old
04-17-2012, 06:12 AM
PenguinTommy

We will draft 21 or 22, depends on Vancouver elimination and our one as well.

So, in that range, here's this guy. Exactly what we need in forward IMO

Quote:
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...-rankings-130/

22. RC Colton Sissons – Kelowna (WHL)
DOB: Nov. 5/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.01 | Weight: 189lbs
With good size and a lethal shot, Sissons undoubtedly projects on the high end as a top-6 winger in the NHL. His game is not without question marks, though – as he currently has a team-worst -15 rating. Sissons could also benefit from using his teammates better as evidenced by his low assist totals, however has certainly shown a knack for being a hard worker on the ice. Sissons was recently named captain of his team for the upcoming CHL top prospects game, which proves his ability to lead by example on the ice. Look for Sissons to continue to put up impressive goal scoring numbers, while also continuing to improve his all-around game leading up to the draft.

PS: I don't care he's center...

Old
04-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

We're extremely thin at center regardless.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I'd love to find a big bodied guy if we are going forward this year. We need some more size on this team and in the prospect pool.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:56 AM
wej20

Uher scored a PP goal for Spokane in a 4-3 OT win which forces a game 7. Joe Morrow picked up 2 assists and finished +1 in a 6-7 defeat to Kamloops, The series is tied 3-3.

Old
04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
JTG

I have pegged Sissons as a guy I'd like us to draft, mainly because of his ability to be a good potential top 6 option at wing or center, along with being able to log time in the bottom 6 when he first gets going.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Portland is so stacked up front, would be surprised if they didn't challenege for the Memorial Cup. The rest of their D must be pretty bad aside from Morrow and Pouliot.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:29 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

What about Tom Wilson? Anybody have an opinion on him? He seems like a big bodied kid that is physical. I know you don't really want to draft a grinder in the 1st round though. If anybody's seen him, do you think he has what it takes to develop into a top 6 player?

Old
04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
What about Tom Wilson? Anybody have an opinion on him? He seems like a big bodied kid that is physical. I know you don't really want to draft a grinder in the 1st round though. If anybody's seen him, do you think he has what it takes to develop into a top 6 player?
I didn't see him, just read scouting reports.

Quote:
Punishing winger with decent hands and promise in slot anchoring. Skating is a work in progress but his impact as an imposing offensive corner punisher is undeniable. Not destined to be a 20-goal NHLer, but will have merit down low and in front, as he brings nastiness and grit.
Reminds me Tangradi-type player. In late 2nd round or early 3rd round, it could be a solid pick, but no way in 1st round, when you have 21st overall..

If we can trade-up somewhere in the 14ish overall pick and we are lucky, we can pick Radek Faksa. Guy's a real deal. 6foot3 202lbs 2-way center with amazing speed.

Quote:
Faksa is an intriguing prospect, who will definitely be highly sought after come draft day. His combination of excellent size and strong two way play will be in high demand. We’d compare Faksa’s maximum potential to that of Mikko Koivu of the Minnesota Wild. The major question in his game that keeps him a step below the elite centres in this draft is whether he possesses the real high end offensive skills necessary to be a first liner in the NHL. However we do believe he can definetely be a solid top 6 player, with an outside chance of being a top liner.
...or just pick Colton Sissons with 21st overall.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
I didn't see him, just read scouting reports.

Reminds me Tangradi-type player. In late 2nd round or early 3rd round, it could be a solid pick, but no way in 1st round, when you have 21st overall..

If we can trade-up somewhere in the 14ish overall pick and we are lucky, we can pick Radek Faksa. Guy's a real deal. 6foot3 202lbs 2-way center with amazing speed.

...or just pick Colton Sissons with 21st overall.
Yeah I don't really know much about any potential draft pick. I just know that our prospect group could really use an infusion of size and nastiness that has some potential to become a top 6 option.

Are there any 2nd or 3rd round guys out there that fit that mold?

Old
04-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
I've posted about him on the prospects board, and I'll just say I have no idea why he's rated so highly. IMO, his offensive potential is that of a 3rd or 4th liner. People are too obsessed with the next Milan Lucic that they forget that a lot of these guys end up being the next Jared Boll or Mike Rupp instead. From the games I've seen of his (limited, mind you), he reminds me more of Jared Boll.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:38 PM
steelcityassault

I think we should take a serious look at Tim Bozon.

He has serious top-6 NHL potential. I'd say he has near-NHL skating ability as we speak, and an NHL shot right now.

Old
04-17-2012, 12:38 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Yeah I don't really know much about any potential draft pick. I just know that our prospect group could really use an infusion of size and nastiness that has some potential to become a top 6 option.

Are there any 2nd or 3rd round guys out there that fit that mold?
I don't know who's outside of top 60..

There are couple names who I personally like.

Quote:
33. RW Martin Frk – Halifax (QMJHL)
DOB: Nov. 5/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.00 | Weight: 204lbs
It certainly hasn’t been a fairytale season for Frk this year as he initially missed considerable time with a concussion and then made a controversial decision to go home over Christmas rather than play for the Czech U20 team at the World Juniors. 2012 seems to be the fresh start that Frk needed, however, as he has found the back of the net with consistency and is showcasing the gritty style of play that created the hype for him before. Frk isn’t a flashy winger, but with his grit and physical play, he has a good combination of skills that NHL teams covet. With a strong second half you can expect him back in the Top 30.
Quote:
51. LC Brady Vail – Windsor (OHL)
DOB: Mar. 11/94 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.00 | Weight: 200lbs
After managing only 10 points in what had to be considered an underwhelming rookie season, Vail has become a legitimate Top 6 forward with the Windsor Spitfires as a 17-year-old. Vail has shown tremendous progress as a two-way player and his work ethic and compete level are significantly better than they were a season ago. Vail often draws match ups against the other team’s top lines and while he has played strong defensively, Vail also is on pace for a very strong offensive season. His offensive upside isn’t as high as other players in the draft, but Vail’s style of play will give him a great shot of being a very effective two-way center.
Quote:
53. RW Henrik Samuelsson – Edmonton (WHL)
DOB: Feb. 7/94 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 195lbs
Samuelsson was a mid season pickup for the Oil Kings from Modo in Sweden after spending last season playing with the US U17 Team. Samuelsson is a gritty forward who wins board battles and excels at maintaining offensive zone puck possession. He can play center or the wing equally effectively and is at his best below the hash marks where he uses his size to his advantage. It was a rough first half of the year for Samuelsson, but after a quick start with Edmonton, don’t be surprised if you see the big power forward as a big riser in the Final rankings.
But as I said, it's just my opinion and based on scouting reports. I like that mixture of big frame and 2-way play.

I like Frk a lot, at the start of the season he was projected as 1st round pick but slipped little bit. He's not tall, but he's got good frame and he's RH shot, which is always welcomed in Burgh. But hoenstly I don't think he won't be picked until our 51st pick. Maybe if we can trade up, 31-40 pick.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I've posted about him on the prospects board, and I'll just say I have no idea why he's rated so highly. IMO, his offensive potential is that of a 3rd or 4th liner. People are too obsessed with the next Milan Lucic that they forget that a lot of these guys end up being the next Jared Boll or Mike Rupp instead. From the games I've seen of his (limited, mind you), he reminds me more of Jared Boll.
Yeah thanks for the scouting report on him. I know people are obsessed with the next Lucic, but this team needs some bigger bodies and tougher players with skill in the pipeline.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:38 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I don't know who's outside of top 60..

There are couple names who I personally like.

But as I said, it's just my opinion and based on scouting reports. I like that mixture of big frame and 2-way play.

I like Frk a lot, at the start of the season he was projected as 1st round pick but slipped little bit. He's not tall, but he's got good frame and he's RH shot, which is always welcomed in Burgh. But hoenstly I don't think he won't be picked until our 51st pick. Maybe if we can trade up, 31-40 pick.
Samuelsson sounds interesting. It helps him that he chose to play in the WHL since Shero rarely drafts kids out of Europe.

It would be pretty cool though to have a kid without any vowels in his last name.

Old
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
I think we should take a serious look at Tim Bozon.

He has serious top-6 NHL potential. I'd say he has near-NHL skating ability as we speak, and an NHL shot right now.

I like how he stuck up for himself.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:13 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Samuelsson sounds interesting. It helps him that he chose to play in the WHL since Shero rarely drafts kids out of Europe.

It would be pretty cool though to have a kid without any vowels in his last name.
Samuelsson is Ulf's second son, we got Phillip and he sucks
But it looks like Henrik could be good player.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Samuelsson is Ulf's second son, we got Phillip and he sucks
But it looks like Henrik could be good player.
Oh I wasn't aware of that lol. He's as good as a Penguin already then (for better or worse )

Old
04-17-2012, 03:29 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Oh I wasn't aware of that lol. He's as good as a Penguin already then (for better or worse )
If Henrik is still there when we pick, I wouldn't mind to draft him in 2nd round.

Old
04-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Jacob

I don't like Frk.. I've only seen him play twice but both times felt he didn't look like a future NHLer.

Closed Thread