HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Fogel
Analytics please

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops View Post
Question relating to two players: K Veilleux and A Grant. Do you qualify them?
Probably 1 year deals, but they will be on their last chances to prove they aren't made of glass.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
I also think it's too early to give up on Veilleux. If memory serves me right he had one of the better showings at the rookie camp. He worth keeping around for his pugilist abilities anyway.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Mr. T

Morrow had two more assists in last night's 11-3 slaughter of Seattle.

Only three games left in the season for Portland.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
He can't move up to WBS can he? Rosters been confirmed I think.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
He can't move up to WBS can he? Rosters been confirmed I think.
Morrow?

The Winterhawks are expected to go deep in the playoffs. Doubtful that he joins WBS unless there is a major upset in the first round.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Jacob

Oh, I'd definitely qualify Veilleux & Grant. By my estimations, even if we reward some AHL guys with two way deals, we're still well under the 50 contract limit.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Karnage420

My Prospect Rankings:

players in the same tier are interchangeable.

1. Despres 8.0C
2. Bennett 8.0C
3. Morrow 8.0C

4. Tangradi 7.0B
5. Harrington 7.5C
6. Wilson 7.5C

7. DAS KUHN 7.0C
8. Uher 7.0C 7.0C
9. Archibald 7.0C
10. Hanowski 7.0C
11. Bortuzzo 7.0C
12. Agostino 7.0C
13. D'Agostino 7.0C

14. Petersen 6.0B
15. Gibbons 6.0B
16. Thompson 6.0B

17. Velischek 7.0D
18. Rogalski 7.0D
19. Veilleux 7.0D

Old
03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops View Post
Question relating to two players: K Veilleux and A Grant. Do you qualify them?
Oh yeah. Grant is showing some real potential after finally being healthy for a while. If he was a winger he might be getting more attention but since he is in a position that we are stacked in he isn't.

KV I wouldn't be devastated to see him go but it would be a shame given his skill set is there & has only lacked the ability to stay healthy.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Steve MacIntyre went beserk against Springfield apparently.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Steve MacIntyre lost it today. Challenged Amadio and he declined, pissed Mac off and the goalie probably ran his mouth so Mac ripped off his mask and beat the hell out of the goalie.

Billy G also got tossed for arguing with the refs.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Jacob

Amadio threw a cheap hit on a Penguin earlier in the season didn't he? Tangradi maybe.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:56 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
Steve MacIntyre lost it today. Challenged Amadio and he declined, pissed Mac off and the goalie probably ran his mouth so Mac ripped off his mask and beat the hell out of the goalie.

Billy G also got tossed for arguing with the refs.

I'd like to see this.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Not sure what's the issue, but Kuhnhackl hasn't played the past two IceDogs games. Hope it's nothing serious.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Not sure what's the issue, but Kuhnhackl hasn't played the past two IceDogs games. Hope it's nothing serious.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

It looks like Carl Sneep's contract runs out at the end of this season. do you think the Pens will resign him? and do you think he'll ever be a regular in the NHL? he wasn't terrible in his 1 game he played.

it must suck to play 1 game in the NHL, get a taste and then potentially never get back there.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:14 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
It looks like Carl Sneep's contract runs out at the end of this season. do you think the Pens will resign him? and do you think he'll ever be a regular in the NHL? he wasn't terrible in his 1 game he played.

it must suck to play 1 game in the NHL, get a taste and then potentially never get back there.
I think the Pens will re-sign him but I don't think he'll ever become a regular with the Pens, they have too much depth on the back end.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
JTG

Sneep's development has been weird. He was drafted highly because he had great size, good skating ability, and a real offensive savvy (due to being a forward for a majority of his career before going to college). He hasn't been that offensive really at all since being drafted.

I think he may be a real late bloomer, but the odds of him being an NHL'er...not really seeing it at this point.

Last edited by JTG: 03-12-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
sina220*

There's a good chance all of the d prospects in wbs are qualified. Shero loves his defensive depth and with the experience those guys have seen hell hopefully have no need to bring in another picard, Hutchinson, etc if they're retained.

Assuming one of bortuzzo/strait is up next year due to waivers and needing a 7th defencemen, and despres sees more nhl action Strait/bort, Sneep, and grant can be the vets, mormina if he's back as well. Then you'll have morrow, samuelsson, maybe Harrington and probably despres at times to fill out the roster. There shouldn't be much need to bring in a big minute dman for the ahl, just some low end depth.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:02 AM
sina220*

Im also having doubts about straits NHL potential. I just don't see him ever becoming a regular. Hes built like a puckmover, but lacks offensive instincts, and his size is certainly going to hold him back as a "shutdown" defender. His defensive instincts and skating are both carrying him right now, which is fine. I just don't see it carrying him much beyond a "first Gallup" type guy. He looked a little small in wbs, but he looks downright puny against NHL skaters.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Sneep's development has been weird. He was drafted highly because he had great size, good skating ability, and a real offensive savvy (due to being a forward for a majority of his career before going to college). He has been that offensive really at all since being drafted.

I think he may be a real late bloomer, but the odds of him being an NHL'er...not really seeing it at this point.
BC has a very offensive system. Most of their D-men come out of there with good offensive numbers. That doesn't mean they are offensive D-men. Scuderi had good offensive numbers in College but he really wasn't anything close an offensive defenseman. If he ever makes it to the NHL he's going to have to concentrate on the defensive side of his game and with his size he's going to have to be more nasty.
I have no doubts about Straits abilities. He's a Machelick type player. He will never put up many points but he's one of the smartest D-men in WBS. He knows his role and his positioning and willingness to blocks shots will make him an NHL D-man for a long time. On a team like the Pens he will never be more than a 5-6 D-man. But like Scudari, those guys get some experience and become valuable in the free agent market. In the old NHL he may not have been able to make it but in todays NHL it's about positioning and stick work more than pure size.

Last edited by bigd: 03-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old
03-12-2012, 09:16 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
BC has a very offensive system. Most of their D-men come out of there with good offensive numbers. That doesn't mean they are offensive D-men. Scuderi had good offensive numbers in College but he really wasn't anything close an offensive defenseman. If he ever makes it to the NHL he's going to have to concentrate on the defensive side of his game and with his size he'a going to have to be more nasty.
I have no doubts about Straits abilities. He's a Machelick type player. He will never put up many points but he's one of the smartest D-men in WBS. He knows his role and his positioning and willingness to blocks shots will make him an NHL D-man for a long time. On a team like the Pens he will never be more than a 5-6 D-man. But like Scudari, those guys get some experience and become valuable in the free agent market. In the old NHL he may not have been able to make it but in todays NHL it's about positioning and stick work more than pure size.
I meant to say he "hasn't" been that offensive since being drafted. My fault.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
Im also having doubts about straits NHL potential. I just don't see him ever becoming a regular. Hes built like a puckmover, but lacks offensive instincts, and his size is certainly going to hold him back as a "shutdown" defender. His defensive instincts and skating are both carrying him right now, which is fine. I just don't see it carrying him much beyond a "first Gallup" type guy. He looked a little small in wbs, but he looks downright puny against NHL skaters.
He's the same size as Martin, Niskenin, and Letang. Actually when watching Straits past 3 games it was hard to distiguish him from Martin. They both are the same size and have the same skating stride. With Martin wearing #7 and Strait wearing #37, until you saw their full number it was difficult to tell them apart, aside from the beard.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
wej20

Strait's size wont be a problem, He's pretty solid for a guy his height and his game isn't built on physicality.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
sina220*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
He's the same size as Martin, Niskenin, and Letang. Actually when watching Straits past 3 games it was hard to distiguish him from Martin. They both are the same size and have the same skating stride. With Martin wearing #7 and Strait wearing #37, until you saw their full number it was difficult to tell them apart, aside from the beard.
Hes listed near the same as them but there's no way he's actually 6'1". Hes dwarfed by neal and 6'1" would mean hes only an inch shorter? Nuh uh. He is similar to martin in body type and strength, but Letang is much thicker and stronger. Straits probably about 185-190, just like martin.

Which like I said, is fine if he was a puckmover. But I don't think his shot blocking shutdown ways are suited for his body in the NHL. If he had more skill and nasty he could maybe carve out a Francis boullion career, but boullion was clearly the exception, not the rule. And even then, he was rarely healthy.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:47 AM
JTG

Neal is 6'2. Strait is 6'0.

Strait is a very thick and brawny guy. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he were around 210 lbs.

Closed Thread