HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 07:55 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Kuhnhackl being in the AHL come next fall is a near-certainty.
I'd think so too, but it's not written in stone. Needless to say I'm really excited to see WBS play next year. Bennett, Kuhnhackl, Uher, and probably Morrow will be fun to watch.

It would be nice if we could re-sign O'Reilly too, because we don't really have any other scoring line centers for our top 6 prospects to play with. Maybe they move Veilleux back to center, but I wouldn't count on him for a full season to stay healthy.

Last edited by MrBurgundy*: 05-14-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 08:12 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/?p=4681

I wonder if he knows something we dont...
Another interesting thing in that article too is this...

Quote:
Heres Hynes quote on the Petersen situation. Hes got a personal situation that hes continuing to work through. It wasnt a day-to-day thing like weve had in the past. Its something he has to go through and its something I think hell work through in the next little while.

I followed up by asking if its the kind of thing that could spell the end of the road for Petersen with the Penguins: I dont think its an end-of-the-road thing. Its just some personal situations, not hockey related, that have to get straightened out, I think, in order for him to get himself in order and his life in order away from the game and then be back to play.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
This looks a lot like the posts I read in the old Letang and Despres threads where people shouted up and down that they shouldn't see NHL ice for a couple of seasons when others suggested they might be very close to NHL ready.

I should know, because I was one of the people saying they needed more seasoning. Except I always left open the possibility they could develop faster than I thought.

Of course I guess we will always have people who cry wolf about ruining a prospect by rushing him.
When it comes to that Shero has done a great job. He has a good sense when a guy is ready.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Another interesting thing in that article too is this...
His wife has MS from what I recall, perhaps it is related?

Just speculation on my part obviously...

Old
05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
JTG

Yeah, I was thinking it was about his wife also.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
His wife has MS from what I recall, perhaps it is related?

Just speculation on my part obviously...
Yeah, even though it's speculation, that would be my first guess too. Unfortunate for him...

Old
05-14-2012, 09:43 PM
mr sidney crosby

Who is the penguins most nhl ready prospect forward?

Old
05-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Jacob

Steve Gatzos

Old
05-14-2012, 10:04 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Rico Fata

Old
05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
He won't be playing on your wing anyway next season. You might want to talk to your coach.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:19 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post

Tangradi & Jeffrey are the only legitimate players within the organization to get a chance at making an impact amongst the forwards on the big club.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
2-3 seasons? We have guys on this board that want him on the team now. I think most of us are extremely happy with the pick. We'll see how he does in the AHL next year.
I'm just a fan of letting a guy develop longer. Morrow's offensive game is NHL ready, but he's not ready defensively especially considering the challenge of having to face men with NHL experience at the next level. It will take time to make the jump.

I could see him playing a handful of NHL games next year, just to get his feet wet, but it will be 2-3 years before he's a regular that is playing 65+ games.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I'm just a fan of letting a guy develop longer. Morrow's offensive game is NHL ready, but he's not ready defensively especially considering the challenge of having to face men with NHL experience at the next level. It will take time to make the jump.

I could see him playing a handful of NHL games next year, just to get his feet wet, but it will be 2-3 years before he's a regular that is playing 65+ games.
Agreed.

The Pens drafted Simon Despres in 2009 and he hasn't been a regular yet and he's been with the organization for 3 seasons. I think he's NHL ready now, but that proves that the Penguins aren't rushing prospects.

Morrow will get preseason games and like you said, maybe a few NHL games.

Before he becomes a regular in the NHL, he needs to get bigger and stronger. It would also help if he spent a couple seasons in Wilkes-Barre to learn the Penguins' system.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Agreed.

The Pens drafted Simon Despres in 2009 and he hasn't been a regular yet and he's been with the organization for 3 seasons. I think he's NHL ready now, but that proves that the Penguins aren't rushing prospects.

Morrow will get preseason games and like you said, maybe a few NHL games.

Before he becomes a regular in the NHL, he needs to get bigger and stronger. It would also help if he spent a couple seasons in Wilkes-Barre to learn the Penguins' system.
I am kind of confused by this statement. He was only professional this season and got quite a handful of games. Last season for Despres would be the equivalent to this upcoming season for Morrow. Morrow had one less season as "property" of the Pens while in juniors, but that was because of his age.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:42 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd think so too, but it's not written in stone. Needless to say I'm really excited to see WBS play next year. Bennett, Kuhnhackl, Uher, and probably Morrow will be fun to watch.
I would be legitimately shocked if Kuhnhackl is not in WBS next season. He made good strides from a physical & conditioning point of view, and if he can do the same this summer, he will certainly be ready, and could be an impact player (20+ goals) in WBS.

Also, I do not believe Niagara is a good place for him to continue his development. I believe that most of their core players will be departing next year, so they likely won't be a good team, and I also do not feel like he was coached/utilized properly on that team. Sure, he could be traded to a better team (i.e. London) and be a big part of what they're doing there, but I'd rather not take my chances, and would just like to get him under John Hynes' tutelage and in the Pens' system ASAP.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I am kind of confused by this statement. He was only professional this season and got quite a handful of games. Last season for Despres would be the equivalent to this upcoming season for Morrow. Morrow had one less season as "property" of the Pens while in juniors, but that was because of his age.
I know what you mean, I know Despres got a handful of games, but he's not a regular on the blue line, Pens fans can agree that we all think he will be next season.

Joe Morrow will go to Wilkes-Barre next season and play a year in the AHL with a handful of NHL games, just like Simon Despres did this year.

Maybe in 2013-14 Morrow will be ready? Like I said though, he needs to add size and learn the Pens' system so he can flourish when he's in the NHL.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:45 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I know what you mean, I know Despres got a handful of games, but he's not a regular on the blue line, Pens fans can agree that we all think he will be next season.

Joe Morrow will go to Wilkes-Barre next season and play a year in the AHL with a handful of NHL games, just like Simon Despres did this year.

Maybe in 2013-14 Morrow will be ready? Like I said though, he needs to add size and learn the Pens' system so he can flourish when he's in the NHL.
I tend to agree, but you never know. Morrow was very close to being ready this season. The same situation happened with Despres though and he kind of regressed in camp the following year. We will see I guess.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

No I agree. I was just taking a jab at some of the posters who are ready to insert him in the line up.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
When it comes to that Shero has done a great job. He has a good sense when a guy is ready.
DB apparently told Despres to be ready when he got sent down in March, that he was on the short list of blueliners they would call up first in the playoffs if injuries hit... And he was true to his word.

The fact he was brought up over a vet like Picard, who played well during his callups and even Bortuzzo tells you they think he can handle NHL minutes. This was during the playoffs that they made this choice, which is pretty telling.

I already talked about Letang as well. So it would seem just recently two guys most of us expected to spend a couple yrs in the A, have been more NHL ready than we gave them credit for.

As I keep saying, Morrow is more disciplined than both of them were coming out of jr... Both Despres and Letang were pretty boneheaded at times and their understanding of little things like stick positioning, how their feet should be pointed, in zone assignments, etc. were not at the same level Morrow is at now. It doesn't mean he is perfect, but he is more well rounded than they were.

Once he learns the system and his assignments in the def zone, he will be NHL ready. It will then be about depth holding him back, nothing more.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I would be legitimately shocked if Kuhnhackl is not in WBS next season. He made good strides from a physical & conditioning point of view, and if he can do the same this summer, he will certainly be ready, and could be an impact player (20+ goals) in WBS.

Also, I do not believe Niagara is a good place for him to continue his development. I believe that most of their core players will be departing next year, so they likely won't be a good team, and I also do not feel like he was coached/utilized properly on that team. Sure, he could be traded to a better team (i.e. London) and be a big part of what they're doing there, but I'd rather not take my chances, and would just like to get him under John Hynes' tutelage and in the Pens' system ASAP.
Kuhn has a long way to go before any of us should get excited about him. He is a player that legitimately needs 2-3 years in the A, and even then he may not be NHL ready, or even capable.

Lots of holes... Lot of concerns...

Old
05-15-2012, 01:37 PM
bigd

Quote:
DB apparently told Despres to be ready when he got sent down in March, that he was on the short list of blueliners they would call up first in the playoffs if injuries hit... And he was true to his word.

The fact he was brought up over a vet like Picard, who played well during his callups and even Bortuzzo tells you they think he can handle NHL minutes. This was during the playoffs that they made this choice, which is pretty telling.

I already talked about Letang as well. So it would seem just recently two guys most of us expected to spend a couple yrs in the A, have been more NHL ready than we gave them credit for.

As I keep saying, Morrow is more disciplined than both of them were coming out of jr... Both Despres and Letang were pretty boneheaded at times and their understanding of little things like stick positioning, how their feet should be pointed, in zone assignments, etc. were not at the same level Morrow is at now. It doesn't mean he is perfect, but he is more well rounded than they were.

Once he learns the system and his assignments in the def zone, he will be NHL ready. It will then be about depth holding him back, nothing more.
They tell that to all the prospects on NHL contracts with fingers crossed behind their backs, wink, wink!

Old
05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
AcrossThePond

How far away is Beau Bennett?

Old
05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
They tell that to all the prospects on NHL contracts with fingers crossed behind their backs, wink, wink!
The difference is they called up Despres over two other canidates who would of filled in nicely.

So maybe DB wasn't blowing sunshine up his ass, since they did exactly as they said.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossThePond View Post
Awhile. He needs work in a lot of areas.

TD likes him more than me and I trust his opinion.

All of the Pens fwd prospects are depressing to be totally straight.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

The guys we are paying millions of dollars don't know them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossThePond View Post
He is closer than some think. I think a solid year this year in the AHL will do a lot for him. He does need help on little stuff like conditioning & being a more efficient skater. I wouldn't be surprised if he made an appearance or two this season.

Closed Thread