HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Solution

vCash: 500
It is not truly prospects related but on Jon Bomubulie's blog, somebody mentioned John Hynes' name in regards to the Washington Capitals' job. Right now the fans on their thread seem more interested in somebody with NHL head coaching experience. It did get me to thinking though. Who would be the next guy in line for a coaching job in Pittsburgh/WBS if either Hynes or Granato were to leave? I figure that Nez would move up to WBS head coach. Would Guerin become the assistant coach or what would anybody else think? Maybe Park if he decides to retire?

Old
05-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Believe me, it's the same line but just in different variations.
Why should we believe you? We don't even know who you are.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
No it was some French poster. Jacob told him he was ridiculous, SRH told him he was getting way too ahead of himself and to settle down...

I remember you saying Letang could jump in next season because he couldn't be any worse than Scuds or Melichar.
I'll have to take your word for it. When I was saying that Letang was not only going to make the NHL, but become a better player than Whitney and the Immortal Jack Johnson, I don't remember many others in that particular foxhole.

Quote:
I forgot to ask you your impression of Kuhn. You haven't said anything so probably not impressed, right?
He was almost entirely unnoticeable.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:07 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Why should we believe you? We don't even know who you are.
That could be said for everyone on here. It's called a "figure of speech". You don't have to believe anyone. As a matter of fact, that's probably the right thing to do.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
For some reason, I am more inclined to believe that Lovejoy and another defenseman on the NHL roster will be moved at the draft. No proof. If we are looking to deal Strait and/or Bortuzzo to a team by themselves, I would say that Minnesota is where I would look. Maybe columbus now as well.
Lovejoy will definetly be moved. That ship sailed towards the end of the playoffs. I'd prefer to see Bortuzzo and Strait in the opening day lineup and send Despres back down because we can. I think they could be the next Rob Scuderi, Hall Gill shut down pairing. Then after a month or so you've got a good feel for what they can do on a regular basis in the NHL. Then you can make your moves but I think we will get a good feel for what's going to happen after the draft. Musical chairs, when the music stops we will see who will be without a seat.

Last edited by bigd: 05-16-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Lovejoy will definetly be moved. That ship sailed towards the end of the playoffs. I'd prefer to see Bortuzzo and Strait in the opening day lineup and send Despres back down because we can. I think they could be the next Rob Scuderi, Hall Gill shut down pairing. Then after a month or so you've got a good feel for what they can do on a regular basis in the NHL. Then you can make your moves but I think we will get a good feel for what's going to happen after the draft. Musical chairs, when the music stops we will see who will be without a seat.
This....

I am coming around to the idea of Strait & Bort starting the season as the 6th and 7th D. Hopefully we can bring Depres up again towards midseason.

Yo Jiggy - you think Shero can flip Lovejoy for a 6th or 7th rounder?

Last edited by Gallatin: 05-16-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
05-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He was almost entirely unnoticeable.
Yeah... I think the board needs to lower their expectations with him. We don't need another Tangradi situation.

Harrington looked good, but it was only the second time I saw him play, so I can't really comment about his game.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
This....

I am coming around to the idea of Strait & Bort starting the season as the 6th and 7th D. Hopefully we can bring Depres up again towards midseason.

Yo Jiggy - you think Shero can flip Lovejoy for a 6th or 7th rounder?
Teams always need blueline depth, Lovejoy has been developed.. I'm sure Shero could get a late rounder for him.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
That could be said for everyone on here. It's called a "figure of speech". You don't have to believe anyone. As a matter of fact, that's probably the right thing to do.
Yeah no kidding. We usually discuss opinions, but you seem to think you are a matter of authority on what the organization tells it's young defensemen. That's why saying things like "believe me" is useless unless you provide some context. When I say "Morrow is NHL ready now" it is implied that it's my opinion. In your case, it implies it is fact.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Flat Stanley

How high do you think the Pens are on Scott Harrington? I haven't seen him play yet, but does he have NHL potential? I was just wondering because if you look at Shero's previous 2nd round picks.

2006 - Carl Sneep
2007- Keven Veilleux
2009 - Philip Samuelsson
2011 - Scott Harrington

What's the potential of those guys? Do they have chances of being NHL regulars? Is Harrington better than all of them? I don't know if Harrington will be a future Brooks Orpik or a future Carl Sneep.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:51 PM
wej20

He definitely looks more impressive than those guys, Samuelsson was a reach and Sneep was a risk given we picked him straight out of HS. Veilleux's development has be wrecked by injuries.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:51 PM
bigd

Quote:
Yeah no kidding. We usually discuss opinions, but you seem to think you are a matter of authority on what the organization tells it's young defensemen. That's why saying things like "believe me" is useless unless you provide some context. When I say "Morrow is NHL ready now" it is implied that it's my opinion. In your case, it implies it is fact.
And you seem to think your opinion is worth more than mine. Well your opinion is no better than my implication. So what freakin differance does it make?

Old
05-16-2012, 01:55 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Are there any similar players in the NHL that Harrington projects to be like? I haven't heard any comparisons before, and I don't see him play enough to form my own opinion.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Are there any similar players in the NHL that Harrington projects to be like? I haven't heard any comparisons before, and I don't see him play enough to form my own opinion.
Josh Gorges?

A less soft, but not as good with the outlet pass or puck carrying through the neutral zone version of Paul Martin?

Best case scenario of Ryan McDonagh?

Old
05-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
And you seem to think your opinion is worth more than mine. Well your opinion is no better than my implication. So what freakin differance does it make?
No I don't. I just don't care for people saying things like "believe me" in regards to discussions within an organization. Either way, it was a minor issue. Carry on.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:10 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Josh Gorges?

A less soft, but not as good with the outlet pass or puck carrying through the neutral zone version of Paul Martin?

Best case scenario of Ryan McDonagh?
Lets just hope it's the Ryan McDonagh one, but thank you.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:10 PM
bigd

Quote:
No I don't. I just don't care for people saying things like "believe me" in regards to discussions within an organization. Either way, it was a minor issue. Carry on.
OK then, don't believe me. But the reason I said it that way is because i've experienced it. I guess I still hold a little bitterness.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
OK then, don't believe me. But the reason I said it that way is because i've experienced it. I guess I still hold a little bitterness.
That's fair. I made a big deal out of nothing. My bad.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
How high do you think the Pens are on Scott Harrington? I haven't seen him play yet, but does he have NHL potential? I was just wondering because if you look at Shero's previous 2nd round picks.
This is how high:

Quote:
Shero said that the team's four prized prospects — defensemen Joe Morrow, Simon Despres and Scott Harrington and winger Beau Bennett — will not be part of any trade.
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...n-burke-really

Quote:
2006 - Carl Sneep
2007- Keven Veilleux
2009 - Philip Samuelsson
2011 - Scott Harrington

What's the potential of those guys? Do they have chances of being NHL regulars? Is Harrington better than all of them? I don't know if Harrington will be a future Brooks Orpik or a future Carl Sneep.
Harrington is a much better prospect than all of them. He's arguably the best defensive-defenseman prospect in hockey, while the others are longshots to become NHL regulars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
The comparison thrown around by most people is Dan Girardi, and that even comes from Mark Hunter, who's coached both on the Knights.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Sideline

Quote:
This is how high:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...n-burke-really

Harrington is a much better prospect than all of them. He's arguably the best defensive-defenseman prospect in hockey.

The comparison thrown around by most people is Dan Girardi, and that even comes from Mark Hunter, who's coached both on the Knights.
I've been limited to what I saw at the WJHC, but I really like Harrington. It's not even a question whether he makes the NHL. For a teenager, he's supremely sound in the technical aspects of the game. I'm just waiting to see where he finishes developing between #2 and #7 defenceman.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:50 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Not just because he's shiny and new... but I'd say Harrington is easily heads and shoulders above any of those prospects.

Aside from Samuelsson, of course.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I've been limited to what I saw at the WJHC, but I really like Harrington. It's not even a question whether he makes the NHL. For a teenager, he's supremely sound in the technical aspects of the game. I'm just waiting to see where he finishes developing between #2 and #7 defenceman.
I don't usually go out on a limb with predictions for prospects, but I'll be genuinely shocked if he ends up being anything less than a 2nd pairing defenseman. He's my favorite defenseman in the pipeline, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Not just because he's shiny and new... but I'd say Harrington is easily heads and shoulders above any of those prospects.

Aside from Samuelsson, of course.
Naturally, haha.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Flat Stanley

Thanks, I do like Harrington and I think he has potential. I just wasn't sure because our previous 2nd rounders haven't or won't get the chance to pan out.

I didn't know if he was going to be another Carl Sneep in a few years but maybe this 2nd round pick by Shero will actually be good.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Thanks, I do like Harrington and I think he has potential. I just wasn't sure because our previous 2nd rounders haven't or won't get the chance to pan out.

I didn't know if he was going to be another Carl Sneep in a few years but maybe this 2nd round pick by Shero will actually be good.
The WJCs are usually a good gauge for talent, and Harrington played a huge role for Canada just a year after being drafted in the 2nd round. That's exceedingly rare, and great cause for hope.

Trust me, the more people see of this kid, the more they're going to like him. Especially after how putrid our NHL defense was in the playoffs this year.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Sideline

Quote:
The WJCs are usually a good gauge for talent, and Harrington played a huge role for Canada just a year after being drafted in the 2nd round. That's exceedingly rare, and great cause for hope.

Trust me, the more people see of this kid, the more they're going to like him. Especially after how putrid our NHL defense was in the playoffs this year.
To be honest, I think he looks more NHL ready than Morrow, but I've seen Morrow even less so your mileage may vary.

Closed Thread