HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
if you ask me, Sneep is by far the most intriguing prospect.

Després/Morrow/Harrington are boring. they look like studs and we all can't wait to see them in the line-up.

Strait/Bortuzzo look like solid bottom pairing options. the only question is if they'll break in here or elsewhere.

then you have the two college guys: Velischek has been practically written off, while D'Agostino's stock is on the rise.

Samuelsson and McNeill are still young (20 and 19 respectively) and could develop into Strait/Bortuzzo types. of course they might not. but they'll have a chance to show what they have in WBS.

that leaves Sneep and Grant. too old for Hockey's Future but not old enough to be written off. Grant has resurrected his career this year while Sneep has been adequate at best. remember the Boston poster who asked to trade for Sneep shortly after his call-up? good times.

Sneep is the mystery man: at 2(32) will he be the biggest bust of GMRS's tenure. he scored a 29 on his ACT. i had an ex who got a perfect score while she had mono. that doesn't bode well for Sneep, but his 6-4 will always remain intriguing. if you read this far, you know i'm bored and just like typing out the word Sneep. Sneep. imagine the Mike Lange calls: "Carl with the sneepy poke-check." imagine Errey: "off the rush, it looks like Carl was a-sneep on that play."

Old
05-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
To be honest, I think he looks more NHL ready than Morrow, but I've seen Morrow even less so your mileage may vary.
Tough call. He's definitely more polished and reliable, but Morrow's dynamism, PP threat, and extra year in the A might get him to the show first.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:53 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post

Després/Morrow/Harrington are boring. they look like studs and we all can't wait to see them in the line-up.

Strait/Bortuzzo look like solid bottom pairing options. the only question is if they'll break in here or elsewhere.

then you have the two college guys: Velischek has been practically written off, while D'Agostino's stock is on the rise.

Samuelsson and McNeill are still young (20 and 19 respectively) and could develop into Strait/Bortuzzo types. of course they might not. but they'll have a chance to show what they have in WBS.

that leaves Sneep and Grant. too old for Hockey's Future but not old enough to be written off. Grant has resurrected his career this year while Sneep has been adequate at best. remember the Boston poster who asked to trade for Sneep shortly after his call-up? good times.

Sneep is the mystery man: at 2(32) will he be the biggest bust of GMRS's tenure. he scored a 29 on his ACT. i had an ex who got a perfect score while she had mono. that doesn't bode well for Sneep, but his 6-4 will always remain intriguing. if you read this far, you know i'm bored and just like typing out the word Sneep. Sneep. imagine the Mike Lange calls: "Carl with the sneepy poke-check." imagine Errey: "off the rush, it looks like Carl was a-sneep on that play."
Haha. What the ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Tough call. He's definitely more polished and reliable, but Morrow's dynamism, PP threat, and extra year in the A might get him to the show first.
You totally thesaurus'd dynamism. Never thought that was a word.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
he scored a 29 on his ACT. i had an ex who got a perfect score while she had mono. that doesn't bode well for Sneep
What in the hell does that have anything to do with playing hockey?!

Old
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Haha. What the ****

You totally thesaurus'd dynamism. Never thought that was a word.
Dude, I'm a walking thesaurus.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
What in the hell does that have anything to do with playing hockey?!
just employing some good old stream-of-consciousness - you know, that narrative mode that seeks to portray an individual's point of view by providing a written equivalent of the thought processes in the human mind by utilizing a continuous, associative flow of sense‐perceptions, thoughts, feelings, and memories.

also
Quote:
if you read this far, you know i'm bored and just like typing out the word Sneep.

Last edited by Crafton: 05-17-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old
05-16-2012, 08:31 PM
wej20

What's the ACT?

Old
05-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

A standardized test taken before college, similar to the SAT.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:54 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:

Completely forgot he was a high 2nd round pick, yikes. Doesn't look like the organization will see much payload from that selection.

Grant seems like the most intriguing, I'm almost picturing him as a MA Bergeron-like defenseman that can play spot duty as a #7 and contribute offense in certain game situations but would otherwise never see serious defensive minutes.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:39 AM
PenguinTommy

Here's the newest ISS Draft rankings (May 15)

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9653

Sissons could be there when we draft on 22nd, if he's not there I would recommend Pontus Aberg (if he's available).

It's very surprising to see Faksa on 16th and Galchenyuk on 14th.. maybe if can trade up little bit ...

Old
05-17-2012, 07:17 AM
wej20

Still like Zemgus Girgensons. I'm surprised that Tom Wilson is so high, did his playoffs raise his stock?

Old
05-17-2012, 07:30 AM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Completely forgot he was a high 2nd round pick, yikes. Doesn't look like the organization will see much payload from that selection.
Especially taking him straight out of high school. At the time, was he the BPA? Maybe? It just hurts seeing Lucic, Kulemin, Anisimov, and McBain taken all a few picks later.....

Just out of curiosity, how much input do you think the scouts/GMRS ask/take from a guy like Sneep, who played with Samuelsson and Gibbons at BC. Or at that stage of player development, do they just let the scouts do their job?

Last edited by TheEdge27: 05-17-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old
05-17-2012, 08:07 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
Especially taking him straight out of high school. At the time, was he the BPA? Maybe? It just hurts seeing Lucic, Kulemin, Anisimov, and McBain taken all a few picks later.....

Just out of curiosity, how much input do you think the scouts/GMRS ask/take from a guy like Sneep, who played with Samuelsson and Gibbons at BC. Or at that stage of player development, do they just let the scouts do their job?
I really think that is unfair to cherry pick the successful guys from that draft 6 years after the fact. I mean, I could see if a high percentage of guys hit directly after that pick, but that isn't the case. Sneep went 32nd. Igor Makarov went 33. Neuvirth went 34th. Francois Bouchard went 35th. Mcginn went 36th. Yuri Alexandrov went 37th. You get the point. To cherry pick 44,50,54, and 63 is unfair.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

I would love to see Maatta fall but his playoff success and now him going to the Memorial Cup has made his stock go up big time

Would be nice to add him or Faksa up front I like from Kitchener

Old
05-17-2012, 08:12 AM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I really think that is unfair to cherry pick the successful guys from that draft 6 years after the fact. I mean, I could see if a high percentage of guys hit directly after that pick, but that isn't the case. Sneep went 32nd. Igor Makarov went 33. Neuvirth went 34th. Francois Bouchard went 35th. Mcginn went 36th. Yuri Alexandrov went 37th. You get the point. To cherry pick 44,50,54, and 63 is unfair.
I wasnt trying to cherry pick. You dont know how guys are gonna transition to the next level. I was eluding more to the fact that its somewhat rare to see a kid picked out of high school thats all. At the time we had already picked Crosby, Malkin, and Staal the past 3 drafts, so defense was what we needed. I understand why we took him, its a shame he hasnt come along like they had hoped. My apologies.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:18 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
I wasnt trying to cherry pick. You dont know how guys are gonna transition to the next level. I was eluding more to the fact that its somewhat rare to see a kid picked out of high school thats all. At the time we had already picked Crosby, Malkin, and Staal the past 3 drafts, so defense was what we needed. I understand why we took him, its a shame he hasnt come along like they had hoped. My apologies.
You know, It really wasn't directed at you personally. Your post just had a good example of it. A lot of people have a habit of doing that and it really is hindsight. You don't need to apologize to me. If your post was just stupid I wouldn't have even addressed it. I just had a counterpoint.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
Sneep is the mystery man: at 2(32) will he be the biggest bust of GMRS's tenure. he scored a 29 on his ACT. i had an ex who got a perfect score while she had mono. that doesn't bode well for Sneep
I'm so confused by this comment. While 29 isn't amazing, it's the 93rd percentile. Equivalent to a 1950 SAT, or a 1300 for us geezers. I don't think any hockey prospect has ever been criticized for a 29 on the ACT. Hell, most doctors wouldn't do any better than a 29. You need to recalibrate your expectations.

Great humblebrag, btw.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Here's the newest ISS Draft rankings (May 15)

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9653

Sissons could be there when we draft on 22nd, if he's not there I would recommend Pontus Aberg (if he's available).

It's very surprising to see Faksa on 16th and Galchenyuk on 14th.. maybe if can trade up little bit ...
Anyone who follows prospects a lot, what are differences between Sissons and Boone Jenner?

Also, LOL to anyone taking anything in Lost in Crafton's sneep post seriously

Old
05-17-2012, 01:21 PM
JTG

Beau and Boone.

Yeehaw, ya'll

Old
05-17-2012, 01:55 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Anyone who follows prospects a lot, what are differences between Sissons and Boone Jenner?

Also, LOL to anyone taking anything in Lost in Crafton's sneep post seriously
I am not the NHL scout, just a fan of young players, have no chance to watch them live, cause I'm Slovak, but I've been looking for articles, scouting reports for a long time.

The biggest difference between them is, that you can get one and the other is already drafted

Seriously.. Both are centers, Jenner is natural center, Sissons is converted winger. Jenner's LH shot and Sissons RH ... to me, they play similar style. They love to play physical. Both are great leaders, Sissons was named Captain at the age of 17, which means a lot. Both are going to dirty areas, play 2-way game, kill penalties.

Neither is great skater, not bad, but not Richards or Kesler good.

Lot of people said they are poor-mans Mike Richards.

For me, the biggest advantage of them is, Sissons is versatile player. If he's put on wing, he could be RH winger, which is always good to have.

Overall, they play very similar style of game. But I repeat, I'm just a fan of young players, maybe someone who saw them play live can say different things.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
The biggest difference between them is, that you can get one and the other is already drafted
Yeah, I got the feeling that they're sort of similar, which is why I don't know if I'd want to pick him at 22nd overall -- always prefer to go bigger in terms of upside in the first round.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

This is the first year in a while that I don't recognize a lot of the guys on that list. I've barely been able to see any of them play.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Valarukar

Hey was just wondering what any of you think about Tomas Hertl since he is projected by a lot of people around our pick and some people have us taking him. Never seen him play, but from reading about him the only thing people seem to have to say negative is that his skating scares them. Other than that all I have read is positive.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I haven't seen a second of any potential draftee this year, but re: Hertl - skating is the worst deficiency a prospect can have, IMO. I'd almost rather draft a guy with no arms. Of course that's relative to just how bad a skater a guy is.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:11 PM
wej20

I'd take one who can't skate over one who doesn't have a brain.

Closed Thread