HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2012, 01:34 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Well don't the Pens have to let guys walk because they are up around the contract limit?

Old
03-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Well don't the Pens have to let guys walk because they are up around the contract limit?
They're at 50 contracts right now, but as I understand it, because we sent Kuhn/Morrow/Harrington back to juniors, their contracts slide and don't count towards the 50 and the true number is about 47. Not sure about that, however.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:44 PM
JTG

But I'm saying this upcoming season. Morrow, Harrington, and Kuhn will undoubtedly be added. Bennett may be too, not to mention this draft class, along with any college free agents we may sign.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Stecz

A few contracts of career minor leaguers (Picard, Ryan Craig, Colin MacDonald, Valbik) are up and Strait/Bortuzzo will be with the big club next year, if they want Rogalski, they can make the space for him quite easily.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
wej20

Quote:
But I'm saying this upcoming season. Morrow, Harrington, and Kuhn will undoubtedly be added. Bennett may be too, not to mention this draft class, along with any college free agents we may sign.
Harrington will be back in junior.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Harrington will be back in junior.
Positively?

Old
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
wej20

Quote:
Positively?
He's not eligible for the AHL.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:41 PM
deakka

I wasnt even thinking of the contract limit. i just dont think they see enough potential in him. He is from what ive heard an offensive D-man but he sure hasnt put up that kind of points (although his team isnt that good). I would guess the pens try to sign some UFA prospect instead.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
He's not eligible for the AHL.
So is Morrow not eligible either?

Old
03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

On BB in the tournament...

Zucker and Didier will be OK and Bennett and Makowski (power play only) will return from loooong absences. Bennett has played since Dec. 2, since undergoing major wrist surgery, but has been skating for more than a month;

That's from Mike Chambers of The Denver Post & is just his opinion. Full article here...http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges...#disqus_thread

Old
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:
Morrow is older so he can play in the AHL next year.

Edit to clarify: Hockey Canada goes by the IIHF standard for player ages i.e. the age you are on Dec 31 of the year 20XX is your age for all of the the season that begins in the year 20XX. The NHL drafts guys on a September 30 year end system. Morrow is a December birthday and Harrington is a March Birthday. Even though both will be 19 at the start of next season Morrow will be "20" according to Hockey Canada.

Last edited by Sideline: 03-19-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old
03-19-2012, 04:07 PM
wej20

Quote:
Morrow's played 4 seasons in junior so he's eligible.

Old
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
JTG

Good deal. Thanks for the clarification yinz guys

So Harrington won't be in WBS, and I'm really hoping Bennett isn't either. I think he'd benefit more from going back to Denver.

Old
03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
On BB in the tournament...

Zucker and Didier will be OK and Bennett and Makowski (power play only) will return from loooong absences. Bennett has played since Dec. 2, since undergoing major wrist surgery, but has been skating for more than a month;

That's from Mike Chambers of The Denver Post & is just his opinion. Full article here...http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges...#disqus_thread
About ****ing time. Hopefully he doesn't slip on a banana peel during the pre-game.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Jacob

I don't see any issues with the contract limit, even if we reward some AHL-only guys with two-way deals (Walker, Lerg, DeFazio).

Old
03-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
this great evaluation is already buried on the second page of the prospects forum. i just copied the relevant pens prospects for anyone who missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

THE TOP 50 AMERICAN PROSPECTS

#12. Beau Bennett - health issues are a concern with Beau, but talent is not. he like Zucker has all world ability, but Bennett needs to prove he can be healthy a full season and tear up college hockey before he even worries about the pro game. huge upside here.

#26. Eric Tangradi - I thought for sure this would be his year, but the 6'4 225 power forward just hasnt had that happen yet. I see the talent and skill there, I just hope he gets the full chance to put it all together. should be a 30 goal scorer with the hands he has, I hope he gets full time NHL duty in the playoffs and beyond

#41. Brian Strait - you are not going to get a Phil Housley here, but you will get one of the more defensive responsible dmen out there. Strait is coming around nicely and looks to be ready for full time NHL duty next year.

#46. Ben Hanowski - Pittsburg did a great job snagging this kid up and it looks as if things are paying off for Ben. he is having a wonderful offensive campaign, and with solid NHL size and ability, I think the Pens found a heck of a player in Hanowski.

THE UP AND COMERS -

Kenny Agostino - a big riser that plays the game with high end offensive ability..great player having a great year at Yale

Old
03-20-2012, 08:22 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

I'm not too concerned about Bennett's ability to stay healthy. The injury he got this year was a freak accident wasn't it (getting his wrist cut, and the complications that followed)?

Also I'm not down on Tangradi yet, but I just don't see the 30 goal potential.

Last edited by MrBurghundy: 03-20-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old
03-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'm not too concerned about Bennett's ability to stay healthy. The injury he got this year was a freak accident wasn't it (getting his wrist cut, and the complications that followed).

Also I'm not down on Tangradi yet, but I just don't see the 30 goal potential.
Completely agree about Bennett.

**** 30. I'd take one goal from Tangradi these days. Not down on him either. Just sayin...

Old
03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
sina220*

Bennett actually played with the injury for most of what he did this year, and he was still having a breakout year. In the few games I saw earlier this year there were two major changes I noticed.

1) he was actually looking to shoot or create his own shot a whole lot more. I read an article where their coach mentioned he wanted beau to shoot more because he thought his shot was best on the team. He even mentioned beaus "kick shot" being nutty in practice. Beau certainly took that to heart.

2) He was a lot more aggressive/confident. In previous years you could tell he was a bit timid along the boards and would poke instead of battle. And at times he'd get in a habit of always lookin to pull up in the zone and look for a trailer instead of goin deep or to the net. This year he looked like he wanted to battle, like he wanted the puck and wanted to be the one making a play with it. It was quite refreshing because he really seems to understand talent wasn't getting him by alone, he's begun to combine it with the right attitude on the ice.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
rmartin65

If you had to make a prospect team (from Pens prospects, obviously), what would it look like? My friends and I are all making them for our teams (Pens vs. Red Wings vs. Flyers vs. Sabres), and I am trying to figure out how to do mine. Would you guys do it off of sheer talent (as of now) or what role they best fit in the NHL? For example, Tangradi is the best LW prospect as of now. However, I dont see him being anything more than a 3rd liner. Guys like Agostino and Hanowski have more top 6 potential, but they are not quite at his level as far as development goes.

So, what would your teams look like?

Old
03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
If you had to make a prospect team (from Pens prospects, obviously), what would it look like? My friends and I are all making them for our teams (Pens vs. Red Wings vs. Flyers vs. Sabres), and I am trying to figure out how to do mine. Would you guys do it off of sheer talent (as of now) or what role they best fit in the NHL? For example, Tangradi is the best LW prospect as of now. However, I dont see him being anything more than a 3rd liner. Guys like Agostino and Hanowski have more top 6 potential, but they are not quite at his level as far as development goes.

So, what would your teams look like?
Tangradi-Hanowski-Bennett
Wilson-Gibbons-Kuhnhackl
Agostino-Veilleux-Uher
Thompson-Payerl-Archibald
Rust

Despres-Morrow
Strait-Bortuzzo
Harrington-D'Agostino
Samuelsson

Thiessen
Killeen

Center is definitely weak. I had to leave Hanowski as a C even though he projects to a LW as a pro. Had to move Veilleux back C, too.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Burgs

None of our college prospects won a conference title (Denver had the best run but was shut out, 0-4, by North Dakota in the WCHA final) but Nick D'Agostino, Scott Wilson and hopefully Beau Bennett aren't done yet as Cornell, UMass-Lowell (for the first time in 16 years) and Denver qualified for the NCAA Tournament. All three teams will play on Friday, against Michigan, Miami-Ohio and Ferris State, respectively.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Yeah, I think those games are on ESPNU and ESPN3 as well. Any definitive word yet on whether or not Beau will be joining the team?

And yeah... center is totally weak haha

Old
03-21-2012, 08:19 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
None of our college prospects won a conference title (Denver had the best run but was shut out, 0-4, by North Dakota in the WCHA final) but Nick D'Agostino, Scott Wilson and hopefully Beau Bennett aren't done yet as Cornell, UMass-Lowell (for the first time in 16 years) and Denver qualified for the NCAA Tournament. All three teams will play on Friday, against Michigan, Miami-Ohio and Ferris State, respectively.
Super impressed by the impact that Scott Wilson has had on his team.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
rmartin65

Adam Payerl had a goal and was a plus 1 in a 3-2 (OT) loss against Ottawa.

Closed Thread