HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The loss of Hecht is significant

Old
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
moltenlava26

vCash: 500
The loss of Hecht is significant

Blame it on lindy for keeping VRP together. Blame it on Darcy for not dealing Roy and the deadline. Blame it on poms, Roy, or vanek for picking the wrong time to be unmotivated and stinking up the joint for the entire west coast trip.

The simple fact is, with limited top 6 center options, there is no other choice but to leave Roy centering the top line.

Hecht, while on the downside of a solid career, would have given Darcy the option to deal Roy at the deadline or would give lindy the option to demote roy to the third line with 2nd unit PP time. This in no way excuses vanek from turning into Disney on ice, but it breaks up a pairing which has had minimal success over the last 4 years.

Hecht by no means should be considered a long term option, but he would and has provided a calming and more defensive mindset for a top line that was a combined -8 during the 4 game west coast swing.

We as fans can only hope that during the offseason some solid, hard working options at center can be attained to correct a future situation like this.

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

All very true.

Say what you will about Hecht, but it would be great to stick him between Vanek and Poms and let Roy center the 3rd line.

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

The lack of a player who's not a top 6 center is impacting what happens with our top 6 centers?

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post
Blame it on lindy for keeping VRP together. Blame it on Darcy for not dealing Roy and the deadline. Blame it on poms, Roy, or vanek for picking the wrong time to be unmotivated and stinking up the joint for the entire west coast trip.

The simple fact is, with limited top 6 center options, there is no other choice but to leave Roy centering the top line.

Hecht, while on the downside of a solid career, would have given Darcy the option to deal Roy at the deadline or would give lindy the option to demote roy to the third line with 2nd unit PP time. This in no way excuses vanek from turning into Disney on ice, but it breaks up a pairing which has had minimal success over the last 4 years.

Hecht by no means should be considered a long term option, but he would and has provided a calming and more defensive mindset for a top line that was a combined -8 during the 4 game west coast swing.

We as fans can only hope that during the offseason some solid, hard working options at center can be attained to correct a future situation like this.
Darcy said he didn't get good offers for Roy because the extra year on his deal was an impediment because teams were concerned about the next CBA. Had nothing to do with Hecht.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
sk8haggard9

Hecht is definitely missed. He would be a great player to stick on the top line since he already has chemistry with Poms and due to his defensive prowess, it allow the two offensive guns to really go all out on the rush and take a couple more chances. Definitely super missed.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:55 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
The lack of a player who's not a top 6 center is impacting what happens with our top 6 centers?
Darcy/Lindy will go to their graves believing that Hecht was a top 6 center.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Hecht is a top 9 center and often a top 6 center. He was in fact Buffalo's top center most of last season when Roy was injured. And his loss has been significant.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Hecht is a top 9 center and often a top 6 center. He was in fact Buffalo's top center most of last season when Roy was injured. And his loss has been significant.
Hecht isn't a center at all. Just because the Sabres were forced to use him as one due to bad personnel management doesn't actually make him one. Hecht is as much of a center as Boyes and Leino are.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
The most important thing about Hecht was he wasn't corrupted like the Rotchester core. You might not have gotten results from Jochen all the time, but you would get effort, and a lack of tolerance for a lack of effort, it seems in retrospect.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
OkimLom

He was a solid WINGER in the top 6. He was a solid 3RD line center. He was a good player to have in the lineup.

I didn't think he played well between Vanek and Pominville. Sure he wasn't a liability, but he did not make them play better.

I do think the team has been impacted by him not being here. When Hecht had chemistry with Pominville, it was when both were wingers, not centers. (Hecht-Briere-Pominville, Hecht-Connolly-Pominville).

His best years were him on the Wing not center. Hecht-Briere-Dumont, Hecht-Kennedy-Grier along with the lines mentioned earlier.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Hecht isn't a center at all. Just because the Sabres were forced to use him as one due to bad personnel management doesn't actually make him one. Hecht is as much of a center as Boyes and Leino are.
Except that he played center and played it well, more importantly he played it better than the other centers on the team.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
beerme1

I wonder why Darcy didn't LTIR Jochen. But then, I wonder a lot about what Darcy does or doesn't do.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
He was a solid WINGER in the top 6. He was a solid 3RD line center. He was a good player to have in the lineup.
Okim has the right answer. Hecht is/was a legitimate third line center. I don't think he would be particularly successful in helping break Vanek and Pominville out but he's an option the team currently doesn't have. Personally, even though Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford has been successful, I wonder if putting Ennis between Van and Pom and Leino with Hodgson would be effective? But disrupting three lines, two of which are playing well, is a tough sell.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Maximrules

I'm sick of people thinking they know why this team isn't good. Sure, Hecht might have helped, but they were garbage with him in the lineup too. This team was supposed to compete for the division title, instead they might not even make the playoffs, and we're gonna argue Jochen Hecht, a third-line center on any other team is a HUGE reason we're in 11th instead of 3rd....right..
this team has way bigger problems.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Okim has the right answer. Hecht is/was a legitimate third line center. I don't think he would be particularly successful in helping break Vanek and Pominville out but he's an option the team currently doesn't have. Personally, even though Ennis-Hodgson-Stafford has been successful, I wonder if putting Ennis between Van and Pom and Leino with Hodgson would be effective? But disrupting three lines, two of which are playing well, is a tough sell.
I'd much rather just flop Leino and Roy; Stafford and Ennis should not be split apart in my opinion.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
I would flip Roy w/ Leino too. However the 3rd line is showing chemistry.

Hecht was sorely missed last year in the Flyers series. He plays, we advance.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:06 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
I wonder why Darcy didn't LTIR Jochen. But then, I wonder a lot about what Darcy does or doesn't do.
He's been on LTIR for some time.
The team would not be cap compliant if he wasn't.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:03 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
This.

Also, they could have put Hecht on LTIR. Why Regier didn't is beyond me. It would have opened up Additional cap.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:05 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He's been on LTIR for some time.
The team would not be cap compliant if he wasn't.
He's on IR, not LTIR.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:29 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
He's on IR, not LTIR.
He's on LTIR and has been since late January, I guarantee it.

Don't want to take my word for it?
Darcy confirms that he is in this video (~9:35).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Say what you want about Jochen, but over the last 5 years, this team plays much better with him in the lineup. I think it is a combination of his skill, work ethic and utility (2-way player who can play just about any position and any situation). I'd love to see the Sabres' record with him in the lineup and out of the lineup. This point has been raised numerous times over the past several years.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Darcy said he didn't get good offers for Roy because the extra year on his deal was an impediment because teams were concerned about the next CBA. Had nothing to do with Hecht.
Please $4million cap hit? Easily dealt. Issue was his value.
P.S. I went into year thinking Hecht would barely play based on training camp issues. Anybody could see that.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:40 AM
moltenlava26

Quote:
So you are saying that Hecht with VP could have been worse then 0 Pts and a -8?

Old
03-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post
So you are saying that Hecht with VP could have been worse then 0 Pts and a -8?
I don't think having Hecht on that line does anything for them in either direction. All three of them were cold. Further, I don't at all buy the idea that having a healthy Hecht gives Darcy the option to deal Roy. He's 35 and is a UFA at the end of the season. Having him in the lineup doesn't give Darcy any kind of extra flexibility.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
moltenlava26

Quote:
I don't think having Hecht on that line does anything for them in either direction. All three of them were cold. Further, I don't at all buy the idea that having a healthy Hecht gives Darcy the option to deal Roy. He's 35 and is a UFA at the end of the season. Having him in the lineup doesn't give Darcy any kind of extra flexibility.
My point is that having a heathy Hecht who centered the top line last year (which isn't the best option, but a option) would have given DR the ability to trade Roy knowing he had a player to center the top line for the remainder of THIS season.
By not dealing Roy, he will be on the roster for the 12-13 season because there is no pressure on DR to upgrade.
The weight of the Sabres organization will be placed on hodgson and Roy will again get a free pass.
Roy is a solid player but IMO needs a change of scenery.
Hecht would have been decent enough to complete the remainder of the season at center and the next center could have been brought in via FA or the draft.
I am assuming some things in my original post but it makes more sense for DR to do nothing than it does for him to do something with HIS CORE players.