HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators vs Rangers | 7:30pm | Sportsnet East

Old
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
BadMcFadden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flash View Post
Cowen and Kuba had crazy good games and so did Karlsson in his own end. Up front Klink brings so much speed,hustle and size I can't see how he will get sent down. I'm still unimpressed with Condra and Daugavins,they need to sit some
Last night was the first good game I've seen from Cowen in a long time. Hopefully a sign of things to come

BadMcFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
I was expecting a Black mask like Gerbers "Dark Vader".
Star Wars Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
And Lehner will not do that playing 15 games a year playing behind Craig Anderson. Lehner is being groomed to be a STARTING goalie, not a guy who splits starts or a great spot back-up, but the STARTER.

Bishop on the other hand, has been groomed to be an NHL-ready goalie. His ceiling is a starting goalie, but in this phase of his career, he is very suitable to being a back-up. He's put in full seasons down in the AHL so the Senators know if Andy was to go down, he can play 60+ games, but at the same time, his game doesn't need any more seasoning so that playing only 20-25 games a year doesn't hurt his development.

Lehner playing 60+ games in the AHL (and NHL if one of our two go down) is what's best for him. It is awesome that he won the Calder Cup with the rest of Bingo, but the NHL is littered with the bodies of goalies that have been extremely hot for 15 game stretches. Look no further than Jonas Gustavsson who was the "best goalie not in the NHL" who was pushed into action instead of groomed. He makes incredibly flashy saves and then has brain farts that cause him to give up easy goals.
You can't compare Lehner to Gustavsson, they're completely different. JG came over at 25. Maybe he could have used a year in the AHL, but the more likely explanation is that he's a bad goalie.

Anyway, how do you know that it's best for Lehner to stay in the AHL and play 60+ games? Did Price do that?

The best thing for Lehner is to play NHL games. You say he's being groomed to be a starter, so playing as a backup isn't good. That doesn't make any sense, a lot of current starters were backups at some point.

So answer this then if you think Lehner should be in the AHL and play as much as possible. When does he make the jump to NHL? Are you ever going to feel comfortable with him jumping from AHL starter to NHL starter? When will this be? What does he have to do to be ''ready''?

imo he is ready now. He is an NHL goalie. I'd rather plan to play him 30 NHL games as the backup. And then he'd probably steal the starting job anyway. He has to make the jump some time.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Doesn't really matter though, our PP is 6th in the entire NHL
So think about how good it would be if we could actually enter the zone and set up with any type of regularity.

I have no issue with our PP puck movement once we get set up. We just never seem to do so if we don't win the initial PP faceoff.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Star Wars Fail

You can't compare Lehner to Gustavsson, they're completely different. JG came over at 25. Maybe he could have used a year in the AHL, but the more likely explanation is that he's a bad goalie.

Anyway, how do you know that it's best for Lehner to stay in the AHL and play 60+ games? Did Price do that?

The best thing for Lehner is to play NHL games. You say he's being groomed to be a starter, so playing as a backup isn't good. That doesn't make any sense, a lot of current starters were backups at some point.

So answer this then if you think Lehner should be in the AHL and play as much as possible. When does he make the jump to NHL? Are you ever going to feel comfortable with him jumping from AHL starter to NHL starter? When will this be? What does he have to do to be ''ready''?

imo he is ready now. He is an NHL goalie. I'd rather plan to play him 30 NHL games as the backup. And then he'd probably steal the starting job anyway. He has to make the jump some time.
You're right, Price didn't do that. And the result was that he played inconsistently for 2 years while Montreal fans booed him off the ice and he lost his job to Jaroslav Halak. If it wasn't for Montreal's management's unwaivering faith in him, he would have been run out of town. He could have greatly benefited from some consistent sheltered playing time in the NHL.

And when does he make the jump? When he shows he can be consistent through a long stretch of games, say like a full AHL season. Once he shows that, like Bishop has, I'd be more than comfortable for him playing in the NHL.

He has to make the jump at some time, but why NOW? He's only 21, the Senators are stacked at the goalie position now with Anderson and Bishop, why rush things? It would totally different if this was last year and our goalies were Elliott and Leclaire, but it's not.

Fortunately, I think the Murrays and Coach Maclean know exactly what they're doing with Lehner and I trust their decision-making over HF board posters who gloss over Lehner's faults because he's flashy and shiny.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Doesn't really matter though, our PP is 6th in the entire NHL
When did this happen?

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
You're right, Price didn't do that. And the result was that he played inconsistently for 2 years while Montreal fans booed him off the ice and he lost his job to Jaroslav Halak. If it wasn't for Montreal's management's unwaivering faith in him, he would have been run out of town. He could have greatly benefited from some consistent sheltered playing time in the NHL.

And when does he make the jump? When he shows he can be consistent through a long stretch of games, say like a full AHL season. Once he shows that, like Bishop has, I'd be more than comfortable for him playing in the NHL.

He has to make the jump at some time, but why NOW? He's only 21, the Senators are stacked at the goalie position now with Anderson and Bishop, why rush things? It would totally different if this was last year and our goalies were Elliott and Leclaire, but it's not.

Fortunately, I think the Murrays and Coach Maclean know exactly what they're doing with Lehner and I trust their decision-making over HF board posters who gloss over Lehner's faults because he's flashy and shiny.
Price turned out just fine and was really good his first NHL season. It's not an issue. Halak was terrific that year, losing his job to him is not a big deal, AND they kept Price over him anyway.

Bishop has never shown to be consistent over an entire season. He's only played over 40 games once, and had a .901 save % that year. He's proven nothing outside his good 38 games this season.

Lehner has played in front of a crappy team this year, it's hard to evaluate how good he's been or hasn't been. I wouldn't trust Maindot.

Age should have no impact on whether or not he plays in the NHL. Great players play in the league when they are young. And the only reason they are stacked in goal is because of the recent Bishop acquisition. Right now and next year would have been the perfect time to bring up Lehner and play him as the backup. No need to play Andy 70 games, Lehner could have gotten 30+ games next year. But now Bishop changes everything.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
When did this happen?
It was way up there at the beginning of the year then slipped a bit. I don't think we've been lower than 16th all year.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
starling

Our PP is 33% since ASG.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:30 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Against Tampa I was hoping that Greening would be able to get a few pts to get him over the 30 pt range & he did it. Against the Rangers I was hoping that Foligno would get to the 40 pt mark & he got there. I was also hoping that Smith my favourite player would break out of his scoring slump & he did. Good couple of games for me.

Going to the Buffalo game tomorrow & Alfredsson needs a pt to get to 50 pts for the season & Gilroy needs two pts to get to 20 pts, so I'm hoping for that tomorrow night.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:07 PM
JustinYS

vCash: 50
Haven't seen the Cowen hit anywhere... wtf? I want to see it!

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:54 AM
SENSational Sens Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Haven't seen the Cowen hit anywhere... wtf? I want to see it!
The one on Boyle (who is bigger than him), he sent him flying to the ice and crashing back first into the boards (near center ice I think). I'd like to see it again as well, the highlights don't show any of the hits from this game!

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:21 AM
senators101

I love how Smith plays, I've always liked him (even before this year). If he can keep it up and continue progressing, he's going to be a fan favourite in no time.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators101 View Post
I love how Smith plays, I've always liked him (even before this year). If he can keep it up and continue progressing, he's going to be a fan favourite in no time.
He's currently my favorite Sen. It would be awesome if he can become our Dave Bolland.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:41 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators101 View Post
Yes. He's learning to play his role at the NHL level in his 1st full season. He's also just entering physical maturity. He'll be 24 in a few weeks and will be even tougher to play against in the coming years.

Although these guys can take care of themselves, fighting aside, guys like Neil, Smith, Foligno, Greening, O'Brien, Klinkhammer among others are able to handle the rigors of tough checking playoff style hockey without wearing down. What's great is that except for Neil they have not physically peaked yet and can also improve their NHL game.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote