HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

STL Blues speculation on goalies

Old
03-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
STL Blues speculation on goalies

Just curious at what STL blues fans are thinking about their goaltending this season. You guys have two goalies with 2.00 gaa and playing amazing hockey.

What would it take for one of them to take on a major role with another team? Just seems that your goalies were a Bryzgalov and Giguere situation in Anaheim and I wonder what you guys think.

Thanks

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:44 PM
GOBLUES4257

I doubt they trade either of them. There other goalie is Jake Allen and he is not NHL ready yet.

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Srsly

I'm not sold on Elliot. He was terrible with Ottawa and Colorado but people seem to forget it and hop straight into discussing the possibility of trading Halek. At the moment it just seems risky though.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Market Street Heroes

vCash: 1125
I'd rather keep both goalies and have a great tandem. Don't mess with a good thing.

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:55 PM
sh724

Yea i dont see the Blues trading either goalie, both are having great years but neither was playing very well last year

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:57 PM
HooliganX2

Niether goalie is currently available seems like Halak plays better when he is challanged. Both goalies appear happy also.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I would have been open to trading Elliott had we held on to Ben Bishop.

As it is, I'd just keep both and say thank you very much

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Stillflexin*

Blues just traded Bishop so neither goalie will be moved.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Who's gonna start in the playoffs? I don't watch Blues games but considering Halak's playoff run and Olympic performance, I would let him play.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:15 PM
GOBLUES4257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Who's gonna start in the playoffs? I don't watch Blues games but considering Halak's playoff run and Olympic performance, I would let him play.
Halak for sure.

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:53 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srsly View Post
I'm not sold on Elliot. He was terrible with Ottawa and Colorado but people seem to forget it and hop straight into discussing the possibility of trading Halek. At the moment it just seems risky though.
They both had and still have terrible defense.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Halak is the clear starter. Elliott is the backup

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Hodgy

So long as Hitchcock is coaching I could play goalie for the Blues and have a 900+ save percentage.

Remember Steve Mason? Hictchcock does....

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:24 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
All I know is that if I'm a goalie and the Blues want me, they are an extremely attractive option. A Hitchock team getting better and better, making so few mistakes, and such attention to detail with their hockey. They allow such few legitimate scoring chances against.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
So long as Hitchcock is coaching I could play goalie for the Blues and have a 900+ save percentage.

Remember Steve Mason? Hictchcock does....
Then how do you explain Elliot's numbers this season before Hitchcock? They were still ridiculous.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srsly View Post
I'm not sold on Elliot. He was terrible with Ottawa and Colorado but people seem to forget it and hop straight into discussing the possibility of trading Halek.
A. Who's "Halek?"

B. If you mean Halak, you should know that no one who knows their @$$ from a hole in the ground about the Blues is suggesting, or even discussing, a trade involving Halak.

C. Maybe Elliott was "terrible with Ottawa and Colorado" because Ottawa and Colorado are terrible clubs?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
Then how do you explain Elliot's numbers this season before Hitchcock? They were still ridiculous.
The Blues played an incredibly stringent defensive system prior to Hitchcock taking over. In fact, there were some numbers that suggested that the Blues actually played even stronger prior to Hitchcock taking over.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
A. Who's "Halek?"

B. If you mean Halak, you should know that no one who knows their @$$ from a hole in the ground about the Blues is suggesting, or even discussing, a trade involving Halak.

C. Maybe Elliott was "terrible with Ottawa and Colorado" because Ottawa and Colorado are terrible clubs
?
You would have to be incredibly naive to think that Elliott and Halak's numbers were not inflated as a result of playing behind an airtight defensive system.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
The Blues played an incredibly stringent defensive system prior to Hitchcock taking over. In fact, there were some numbers that suggested that the Blues actually played even stronger prior to Hitchcock taking over.
You obviously didn't watch the Blues when Payne was the coach. And, no we were not stronger before Hitch took over lol.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:13 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
You would have to be incredibly naive to think that Elliott and Halak's numbers were not inflated as a result of playing behind an airtight defensive system.
And you'd have to be blind to not see that Elliott's game is massively improved from when he played with Ottawa and Colorado.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Dr Robot

They are both signed for reasonably cheap so we have no reason to move them. The only need we have is 1 top end defenseman and some more first line forwards with low salary hits. Nobody is going to give that up for Halak or Elliot. As far as draft picks go I wouldn't trade either for a first and second rounder, maybe 2 firsts and a second depending on draft position but once again thats their value to us and nobody else is going to pay some crazy price like that. Its just not reasonable for us to trade them right now, we have no holes in our lineup trading them would fill so theres no real point.

Dr Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:28 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Robot View Post
They are both signed for reasonably cheap so we have no reason to move them. The only need we have is 1 top end defenseman and some more first line forwards with low salary hits. Nobody is going to give that up for Halak or Elliot. As far as draft picks go I wouldn't trade either for a first and second rounder, maybe 2 firsts and a second depending on draft position but once again thats their value to us and nobody else is going to pay some crazy price like that. Its just not reasonable for us to trade them right now, we have no holes in our lineup trading them would fill so theres no real point.
With all due respect, I'd imagine your team would bite somebody's hand off if they offered 1st + 2nd round picks for Elliott.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Dr Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
With all due respect, I'd imagine your team would bite somebody's hand off if they offered 1st + 2nd round picks for Elliott.
Depending on where the draft pick was they would consider it but nobody with a 1-10 pick is going to trade it to the blues for Elliot. So most likely a team in the 20-30range that needs a goaltender for the playoffs would be looking at him and considering Elliot and Jaro are playing pretty evenly right now I would have to say their value is similar. Jaro went for a 13th overall pick who had developed some and looked like he was going to pan out + a third rounder in schultz. If a team wanted to trade us Cam Fowler or Sven Bartshi + a second yeah we would probably take it, but realistically who is going to offer that?

Edit:For accuracy sake I looked again and it was Brandon Gormley taken with the 13th pick not Cam Fowler(12th).

Dr Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:39 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It's really a 1A/1A situation right now. Blues fans are cynical about goalies given how often that was the weak link for an otherwise promising team. Right now they have two guys on whom the Blues' fan base is decidedly uncynical.

There is no "clear starter" & "clear backup." Some fans have a personal preference for one or the other but fans completely trust whichever one is in net, and so does the coach, and so does the team in front of them. They may play in a system with hardworking backcheckers who limit free-for-all scoring chances, but that doesn't mean each guy hasn't been called upon for timely clutch save after timely clutch save. As strong a defensive game as the Blues play, there have been plenty of breakways and odd-man rushes and time spent on the PK. There are always 3-5 great saves each guy makes in a game. Let's not get carried away thinking Hitchcock is some ridiculous voodoo master here. He has the team playing a strong team system and he has the right personnel to do play a two-way game, but that doesn't mean the Blues haven't faced some potent offenses with guys who still get their chances. And game after game, these two goalies have shut the door. They have the two locked up for the next three playoff runs while a top prospect develops in Peoria. Ideal situation.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
They both had and still have terrible defense.
This sums it up, goalies are so good all around the league now that the defense in front of them is the main deciding factor. The best example I can think of is Bryzgalov, top tier goalie with one of the better D systems and meh on a team where offense is the number 1 priority.

Neither would be as good on say the islanders as they are on the blues. The blues also just traded there only real back up in Bishop so intentions would appear to be to keep both for now and evaluate next year. I think that Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo come up next year so maybe then they have to make a decision. Pretty good situation to be in for the Blues management though, it is looking like a solid cup run is on the horizon. Very well managed team the past few years, one of those teams that I would like to see win if mine did not.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote