HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bobby Hull's 51st---the voice of history

Old
03-08-2012, 09:30 PM
snoris

vCash: 500
Bobby Hull's 51st---the voice of history

Norm Jary.

The name doesn't ring a bell?

Norm Jary was the New York Rangers' radio play-by-play man on March 12, 1966. Because the Blackhawks didn't broadcast their home games, Jary was the only man in Chicago Stadium with a live microphone on that historic night (not counting public address announcer Harvey Wittenberg). It is his voice that everyone hears whenever Hull's 51st goal is replayed.

The goal is seen and heard every year around this time. Because of its significance, it is the most broadcast goal in hockey (yes, even more than Bobby Orr's 1970 Stanley Cup winner).

And I got to interview Norm Jary last year over the phone on the 45th anniversary. It is the longest interview he has ever done (about 40 minutes), and covers not only the play-by-play of the goal itself, but a discussion on the days leading up to March 12th, stories about what happened afterward, and his remarkable career as a broadcaster and living legend of Guelph, Ontario.

Now, a question: How do I post the audio for everyone to enjoy?

Last edited by snoris: 03-09-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
snoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Rings a bell for me big time considering he was the Mayor here from just before I was born till I was 14.

Just a little heads up though if you're planning on printing that interview...might want to spell his name right, only 1 "R" in his last name

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
snoris

Yep, I knew that but I'd accidentally left auto-correct "on," it defaulted to double "R," and I didn't catch it. Thanks.

snoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoris View Post
Yep, I knew that but I'd accidentally left auto-correct "on," it defaulted to double "R," and I didn't catch it. Thanks.
Cool. Yeah, he was big name around here. I met him a few times in passing when I was much younger playing all-star. He was very active in the minor hockey system around here and used to call the Platers games on local radio.
It was pretty convenient for him as the Mayor's office was right next to the arena back then heh.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote