HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Roenick Rips Marleau Again

Old
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
anthonyyy

vCash: 1004
Roenick Rips Marleau Again

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=7225

And I agree with everything he said. Not to say that the rest of the team isn't playing poorly as well, but Marleau has shown time and time again that he cannot carry this team.

anthonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Lockout Season

vCash: 500
He shouldn't have to carry this team.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Meh. Marleau could have 3 goals, 20 hits and 5 fights and JR would still rip him.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roenick
You're not going to get any consistency out of Patrick Marleau because he can't find it in him to get angry, mad, ticked off enough to help lead this team out of the doldrums.

Right now I'd be scared. I'd be mad. I'd be huffing like a raging bull right now. I'm not sure that Patrick Marleau can do that. I don't know if he has it in him to bring this team into the playoffs. I'd like to see him get angry, show some passion.
How dare he talk about the messiah like that?! String him up!!

This is coming from a man who played with Patty for two seasons ... but we know better because we watch every game on tv.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
The fact that he thinks you have to get mad or ticked off to play well is what makes me think he is just full of ****.

I can think of so many individuals who helped their team to championships without getting visibly upset.

I would argue that letting that type of emotion invade your thought process is detrimental to winning.

JR always got angry, and never won ****. He needs to just get off Marleau's back. The guy has been a top 3 goal scorer for the past 3 years, and has been pretty money in the playoffs. I'm getting tired of this dead horse being beaten.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 03-08-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: don't bypass the filter
Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7150 View Post
He shouldn't have to carry this team.
This... He's not even the one wearing the C...

But regardless, one player should not make or break this team. I almost get what JR is saying but the way he said it screams of a guy who has personal issues with Marleau

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
This... He's not even the one wearing the C...
... really?

Old
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
one2gamble

This is what I said in the other thread

Quote:
I really dont think he is wrong though. I do go back to the last, bad stretch I can really remember from a few years ago. The Sharks were struggling and the yotes spanked them hard, 6-0 or 6-1, something like that. The Sharks went on the road and swung back through phoenix. Patty gets in a fight in the first period/few shifts and the team responds.

When patty gets moving, gets hitting and gets aggressive. The team follows him. This is the softest sharks team I have seen in a long time. They dont normally take a lot of crap from the other team (short of the jackets game) but they dont initiate anything either.

I dont think anyone expects anything different from Patty, hes been the same throughout his life. That said, I think if he shows a bit of emotion he can wake up the team. I dont expect a fight from him but I expect him to start going to the dirty areas, talking on the bench more etc.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
... really?
Really.... I'm not saying Joe needs to carry the team but I'm of the opinion that Captians are the ones that have to step up....Why does Marleau have to be the one to carry the team?

I understand, he's been here longer but that's not his job, and on this team, it shouldn't be anyone's job but if anyone has to carry a team, it should be the captain

Old
03-08-2012, 12:08 PM
anthonyyy

Get get's paid $7 million a year. He has had the quietest 28 goal season I can remember. Some of that may be the system they are playing, ie grinding, chipping in rebounds, etc. But he plays on the first line, he gets paid like a first line player, but he is consistently out-hustled. Why he is beyond criticism is beyond me. I realize he's been here for a long time, and fans have an attachment to him, but if he can't show that he's upset from losing, then yes, he's going to get ripped.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:10 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Roenick knows these guys better than we do, so he has a point. But how about everyone on the ****ing Sharks step up? Marleau isn't the only one. EVERYONE needs to step it up.

We need a consistent TEAM effort from these guys, period.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyyy View Post
Get get's paid $7 million a year. He has had the quietest 28 goal season I can remember. Some of that may be the system they are playing, ie grinding, chipping in rebounds, etc. But he plays on the first line, he gets paid like a first line player, but he is consistently out-hustled. Why he is beyond criticism is beyond me. I realize he's been here for a long time, and fans have an attachment to him, but if he can't show that he's upset from losing, then yes, he's going to get ripped.
Actually hes been ripped here alot. This is just a broken record with Roenick. No matter how many goals or how good his defense is Patty will be ripped due to him not being overly physical and he doesn't fight etc etc.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Criticizing Marleau just isn't acceptable here. It's like yelling at a baby for spit up. It's just what they do and you have to accept it.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyyy View Post
So basically you're saying that because of his personality, Marleau is gonna get ripped? How the **** is that fair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Roenick knows these guys better than we do, so he has a point. But how about everyone on the ****ing Sharks step up? Marleau isn't the only one. EVERYONE needs to step it up.

We need a consistent TEAM effort from these guys, period.
Totally agree with you... JR probably has a point but one player doesn't make a TEAM

Old
03-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Criticizing Marleau just isn't acceptable here. It's like yelling at a baby for spit up. It's just what they do and you have to accept it.
... that's actually very well put

Old
03-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

I am in agreement with JR here, but then again I've never been a Marleau fan from day one. But yeah - a lot of people here feel they know better than JR which is laughable. The "but we watch every game on TV" comment is spot on.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:22 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
He can't control what people say. He just has to focus on what he can control. It is what it is. At the end of the day. Blink. Blink. Blink.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:23 PM
anthonyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
So basically you're saying that because of his personality, Marleau is gonna get ripped? How the **** is that fair?
It's not about his personality; he just doesn't compete. He doesn't need to fight anyone, or get in anyone's face, or even throw a bunch of hits every shift. Just go out there and compete. Skate hard, fight for pucks. There's tons of players in the league that don't have near the skill set of Marleau, yet are consistent contributors because they hustle.

Old
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
He can't control what people say. He just has to focus on what he can control. It is what it is. At the end of the day. Blink. Blink. Blink.
Lol.

Old
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
I am in agreement with JR here, but then again I've never been a Marleau fan from day one. But yeah - a lot of people here feel they know better than JR which is laughable. The "but we watch every game on TV" comment is spot on.
It's less about 'does he know Marleau better', obviously he does, but we also know for a fact Roenick is a huge loudmouth who often says stupid crap he probably shouldn't have said. His entire career it was a problem and is a big reason why he nearly spent his last few years without a team because no one wanted any part of him.

I love Roenick, he's one of my all time favorite Sharks, but so is Marleau. They are very different people who are bound to clash. On top of that, true or not, him constantly making it public just makes him look petty and certainly isn't going to make Patty listen.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:28 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

JR knows a bunch of these guys. Where is his ripping Joe and his floating and turnovers?

Where is his ripping of Clowe's (1) fights at the WRONG time (Game at CBJ, Game at Detroit)
(2) Thorntonesque turnovers and (3) flat out suckage?

Where is his ripping of TMac and coaching staff, who he played under for a season (At least TMac and Woodcroft)?

Where is his ripping of DW for bringing in Zeus/Collin White in the offseason and then having to trade for essentially an entire third line?

Old
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
JR knows a bunch of these guys. Where is his ripping Joe and his floating and turnovers?

Where is his ripping of Clowe's (1) fights at the WRONG time (Game at CBJ, Game at Detroit)

Where is his ripping of TMac and coaching staff, who he played under for a season (At least TMac and Woodcroft)?

Where is his ripping of DW for bringing in Zeus/Collin White in the offseason and then having to trade for essentially an entire third line?
A. Its obvious him and patty clash
B. Its obvious he knows patty has another gear
C. He obviously doesnt understand Patty at all

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:

Nope. All Marleau's fault.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
A. Its obvious him and patty clash
B. Its obvious he knows patty has another gear
C. He obviously doesnt understand Patty at all
I understand all of that, my point is JR can (And should) be ripping other players on this team, including Jumbo and (Especially) Ryane Clowe, who never seems to get any public scrutiny.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
When do Lidstrom, Datsyuk, or Zetterberg ever get mad on the ice? They seem to do ok in the playoffs.....

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote