HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'96 for 2012 ohl draft prospects (Part two)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
'96 for 2012 ohl draft prospects (Part two)

Previous thread hit the 1,000 post database limit. Continue the conversation here.

Link to last thread.

03-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Tigers1992

On a thankfully more positive note, thats the first time thats happens. congrats to all the posters who keep this a fun and friendly place to chat. Appreciate the interest!

Old
03-08-2012, 10:33 PM
chewerjones

See what happens when I join a forum. We set a first time achievement and cause controversy. LOL

Old
03-08-2012, 10:42 PM
OHLFan8771

Does anyone know for sure 100% Mcdavid did apply for exceptional status?

In the interview posted by Brock the third question is about being picked high in the draft and what can Mcdavid do to ensure sucess in the OHL. He then responds with "I am not eligible for the draft until next year. The thing I need to improve on most is my shot."

I am not saying he did not apply I just thought that answer was a bit weird and if anyone knew that he has applied.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:59 PM
chewerjones

McDavid's response to the 3rd question is very intriguing but I think it was just a habitual reaction. Maybe he doesnt want to get his hopes high, and thus being down to earth.

He hasnt played with his age group his whole hockey career, and I cant see him playing MM. He will have to go state side to play competitively, if he doesnt get ES.

If he could play Jr. A, that would be fine, but I dont think he can, according to regs.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:02 PM
habs7126
Rookie User

1 – Erie: Connor McDavid – How can you not go with him?
2 – Kngston: Roland Mckeown – Lack of defense in Kingston, Ho-Sang’s attitude may hurt him.
3 – Soo: Fabbri – Fast, skilled, leadership qualities, and family ties with the Soo
4 – Peterborough: Dal Colle – Lack of big centremen with the Petes, although I could see McCann go here as well
5 – Windsor: Ho-Sang - He’s waited long enough
6 – Guelph: McCann - Garlent and McCann may be lead the young talent in Guelph alongside Kosmachuk and Finn
7 – Mississauga: Middleton – Team needs defence
8 – Oshawa: Cornel – Another team that needs defence, should be able to wait until later for that though
9 – Kingston: Herbst – With Bobkov gone, they don’t have much in the system for goaltending.
10 – Belleville: Bennett – Could be a stretch to pick him in the top 10, but good skating winger on that Olympic size ice at Yardmen
11 – Saginaw: Hargrave – Saginaw will be losing their big bodied second line next year and will be left with the majority of small forwards.
12 – Owen Sound: Addison – Feel like this kid is going to have one of those breakthrough OHL cups and wouldn’t he be nice to add in the mix of young forwards in Owen Sound
13 – Sarnia: Hiddink – another forward to go to Sarnia with high end numbers, somewhat local kid too
14 – Sudbury: Watson – player to add to this hard working, skilled team
15 – Brampton: Bourne – Big bodied player could work well with Stan Butler’s type of hockey
16 – Barrie: Magyar – Barrie could pull him away from Ohio State, like what they did with Schiefele and Cornell. Barrie could use the bigger body as well.
17 – Kitchener: Abou-assaly – Kitchener seems to like their players from the Ottawa area, they will also be ing losing overaged forwards
18 – Ottawa: Petti –Ottawa will be losing forwards as well next year, not the greatest feet ever, but hey look at Toffoli
19 – Niagara: Schmalz - Big D-man with good numbers. Dougie Hamilton prodigy perhaps? Also good to have a big body in that tiny barn of a rink.
20 – Plymouth: Larkin – Detroit player. Wouldn’t be the first committed kid to go to Plymouth
21 – Niagara: Sanvido – Teach this kid to hit and fight and he is an absolute monster and scary to player to play against on the back end in that rink
22 – London: Cramarossa – Could be a little high to pick him here, but you never know. Good hard working player that I think will turn out better than his brother

Just another mock draft for you guys to argue about. Have fun.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Mcdavid answered the question correctly. He cant assume anything just yet. It would have looked poorly for him to say anything regarding this year when its not official yet.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-08-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM
OHLFan8771

Thats sort of what I was thinking as well. Some people do not want to get ahead of themselves, I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight to that.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:13 PM
mapleleaf979

The answer to your original question is yes.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:17 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs7126 View Post
2 – Kngston: Roland Mckeown – Lack of defense in Kingston, Ho-Sang’s attitude may hurt him.
3 – Soo: Fabbri – Fast, skilled, leadership qualities, and family ties with the Soo
4 – Peterborough: Dal Colle – Lack of big centremen with the Petes, although I could see McCann go here as well
6 – Guelph: McCann - Garlent and McCann may be lead the young talent in Guelph alongside Kosmachuk and Finn
8 – Oshawa: Cornel – Another team that needs defence, should be able to wait until later for that though
9 – Kingston: Herbst – With Bobkov gone, they don’t have much in the system for goaltending.
10 – Belleville: Bennett – Could be a stretch to pick him in the top 10, but good skating winger on that Olympic size ice at Yardmen
11 – Saginaw: Hargrave – Saginaw will be losing their big bodied second line next year and will be left with the majority of small forwards.
12 – Owen Sound: Addison – Feel like this kid is going to have one of those breakthrough OHL cups and wouldn’t he be nice to add in the mix of young forwards in Owen Sound
13 – Sarnia: Hiddink – another forward to go to Sarnia with high end numbers, somewhat local kid too
15 – Brampton: Bourne – Big bodied player could work well with Stan Butler’s type of hockey
16 – Barrie: Magyar – Barrie could pull him away from Ohio State, like what they did with Schiefele and Cornell. Barrie could use the bigger body as well.
17 – Kitchener: Abou-assaly – Kitchener seems to like their players from the Ottawa area, they will also be ing losing overaged forwards
18 – Ottawa: Petti –Ottawa will be losing forwards as well next year, not the greatest feet ever, but hey look at Toffoli
19 – Niagara: Schmalz - Big D-man with good numbers. Dougie Hamilton prodigy perhaps? Also good to have a big body in that tiny barn of a rink.
20 – Plymouth: Larkin – Detroit player. Wouldn’t be the first committed kid to go to Plymouth
21 – Niagara: Sanvido – Teach this kid to hit and fight and he is an absolute monster and scary to player to play against on the back end in that rink
22 – London: Cramarossa – Could be a little high to pick him here, but you never know. Good hard working player that I think will turn out better than his brother

Nice job Habs7126. I like your reasoning on most of the picks. Some players you have introduced, have me thinking. You have introduced alot of non GTHL flavour, which I dont get to really see much.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:33 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:

No Salituro?

Old
03-08-2012, 11:38 PM
habs7126
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
No Salituro?
Not a big fan of his feet. I just don't feel he is a first round pick. Good player though. Just my opinion.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:56 PM
NHL Fanatic

I feel that Ho-sang is guaranteed at worst 2nd overall. Draft manipulation is the only way I see him landing in 4th or 5th position overall. Doug Gilmour has been quoted as saying Josh is the "elite of the elite for his age group". Letting such a talented player slide should result in some scouts losing their position in my opinion.

I disagree with some people saying he has an attitude problem. This is his 2nd year in minor midget and his team has lost less than 5 times for the whole season. Development wise coming back for another year of minor midget did not help Josh that much. Ken Strong is a very good coach and I've seen him bench his star players before Josh not being the first. Does he need to utilize his teammates more, yes he definitely does but he will learn as he moves up to the next level or else he won't see ice. Again I've seen tons of hockey the way Ho-sang played with the 95's is completely different than the way he plays with his own age group.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:58 PM
NHL Fanatic

One player I do like is Jaden Lindo. He has really improved over the last couple of years I've seen him play. He could really develop into a solid power forward if he continues his progress. I see him getting drafted in the second round but would not surprise me if he goes as a late first round pick with his play of late.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:48 AM
doogie24

It's a shame that it was such a down year for Elgin Middlesex, im sure that every team already knows about Hiddink, but it would have been good to see him in the OHL Cup. Don't see his name mentioned alot in here which is why I decided to bring it up.

Yes, he was there as a 96 last year with Horvat and the 95 team, but that's clearly not the same.

I didn't know this until a few weeks ago, but the core of the Jr Knights team that just won the Alliance are former Chiefs. Mccann, Abbott, and the starter Lauziere all played Elgin last year (along with a few others I believe). It seems as though players migrating towards the better teams is more frequent in the GTHL, but to have 3 to 5 players jump ship around here is interesting.

I didn't see Hiddink at all this year, and only a few times last year. Similar mold as Horvat? more/less skilled?

OHL draft... part 2! Thanks to everyone who contributes, I visit this thread daily.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:34 AM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
It's a shame that it was such a down year for Elgin Middlesex, im sure that every team already knows about Hiddink, but it would have been good to see him in the OHL Cup. Don't see his name mentioned alot in here which is why I decided to bring it up.

Yes, he was there as a 96 last year with Horvat and the 95 team, but that's clearly not the same.

I didn't know this until a few weeks ago, but the core of the Jr Knights team that just won the Alliance are former Chiefs. Mccann, Abbott, and the starter Lauziere all played Elgin last year (along with a few others I believe). It seems as though players migrating towards the better teams is more frequent in the GTHL, but to have 3 to 5 players jump ship around here is interesting.

I didn't see Hiddink at all this year, and only a few times last year. Similar mold as Horvat? more/less skilled?

OHL draft... part 2! Thanks to everyone who contributes, I visit this thread daily.
It was closer to 8. Lambton Jr. Sting also stripped EMC of a few players, most notably Matteo Ciccarelli, who is from Sarnia, so essentially returned from his home centre, but he was a good secondary offensive producer outside of their top line.

I saw EMC Bantam's last year a number of times, and they had a powerhouse team. I thought with the addition of Hiddink they were going to dominate. For whatever reason they only wound up returning about 50% of their roster, and wound up a middle of the pack team. It's unfortunate, cause if Hiddink was the centre of a really strong team, I think his talent would have really showed up much better.

It intriguing seeing him posted in these mock drafts as Sarnia's 1st round pick. He plays in their GM's back yard of the Strathroy region, which is where Jacques resides, so I'm sure he's seen a ton of him. He's one of the most complete players in the draft. Physically, and mentally mature for his age, you can be up 1 goal or down 1 goal, he's a guy you can throw on the ice and rely on. I think come the 12th-15th pick he wouldn't be a bad option. He's a little lower than that on our list, but if you remove all the NCAA commit's, it's not a stretch to see him go there.

Old
03-09-2012, 06:13 AM
Torts

Quote:

good list habs, just a couple of things i think attitude or not ho-sang goes 2, 3rd at very least. cant pass up on talent and skill like that

and for the majors going the d route, dont think that will happen with our 1st round pick, we need elite offence or any offence at all. we only lose of our dmen this year and have others ready to fill. if majors are picking at 7th-9th i would love either Dal Colle, Bourne or Hargraves at that spot.

Old
03-09-2012, 06:43 AM
FrontenacSens

With Todd Gill as the coach there wont be a problem with Josh Ho-Sang(attitude, work ethic, etc.)
I can't see him going past 2 because Gilmour really likes him

Old
03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
good list habs, just a couple of things i think attitude or not ho-sang goes 2, 3rd at very least. cant pass up on talent and skill like that

and for the majors going the d route, dont think that will happen with our 1st round pick, we need elite offence or any offence at all. we only lose of our dmen this year and have others ready to fill. if majors are picking at 7th-9th i would love either Dal Colle, Bourne or Hargraves at that spot.
I have talked to some scouts about Bourne and Hargrave and although many agreed with the fact that they're solid players, some scouts were disappointed with their consistency this season. All 3 of them are good players but if Dal Colle is available when the Majors are selecting I would choose Michael.

Old
03-09-2012, 09:46 AM
NHL Fanatic

Looking back at last years draft Peterborough probably had one of the strongest drafts. 6 players signed and 5 currently playing with the team. They are a couple players away from being a very strong team in this league.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
mapleleaf979

The 96's are deep. Based on team needs in the OHL, I think u could make a case for Fabbri over Hosang. Hosang over Fabbri. McCann over Fabbri. Fabbri over McCann, etc. After Mcdavid, i think the next 5 picks could be moved around and still make sense.

My only arguement about the #2 pick is Roland Mckeown looks to be a future World Junior Canada/NHL player. To me he is very similar to Drew Doughty. With his work ethic/skill and passion for this game i just cant imagine anything but a steady rise over the next few years.

I can see Jaden Lindo playing well again at the OHL cup like he did last year. I think he will go first round. Even if Lindo doesnt put a point on the board, he is always noticed banging people around out there. Like i said before this kid is very mature physically with masssive shoulders. He uses his size well. His game is tailor made for the OHL. Lindo is a fantastic powerful skater with a wide base to his stride. Good shot and plays the team game so much, that the coaches almost had to beg the kid to shoot more. Defensively responsible forward as well, which is rare at this level.

Power Forwards:
Bourne and Hargrave here at least are viewed as higher prospects than Lindo. I think Hargrave and Lindo skate better than Bourne, who stride is laboured. Hargrave may have the best shot and hands. Lindo drives the net harder than Hargrave and bourne. Although they all do it. Bourne has the most height. Bourne may be the best playmaker of the three. Lindo works harder out there than Bourne and Hargrave. Hargrave is the strongest of the three but doesnt utilize it as much as the other two. Is it me or is Hargrave soft at times? Bourne and Lindo seem meaner. The 2 rebels players have stretches of invisibility. I dont see a big gap between these 3 GTHL players . But id personally rather have the most consistent of the bunch and the player who is on a fast ascent upward, Lindo.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-09-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old
03-09-2012, 10:48 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Looking back at last years draft Peterborough probably had one of the strongest drafts. 6 players signed and 5 currently playing with the team. They are a couple players away from being a very strong team in this league.
Completely agree! I've had the privlidge to watch these kids all season long!

Ritchie- Lots of potential, Throws his weight around like he is 20 years old!
Nosad- Typical 2nd/3rd line player on a good hockey team, Speed/Grit/Skill
Murphy- Offensive D-Man (Good Wheels)
Varga-Stay at Home D-Man(plays simple)
Thompson- Grinder

Only think that is missing is depth of prospect centres.. Bring on Fabbri!! If Fabbri isn't drafted by the Petes and they take a winger like McCann could anybody tell me who could be a sleeper they could take early in the second round? That plays centre

Old
03-09-2012, 12:55 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Completely agree! I've had the privlidge to watch these kids all season long!

Ritchie- Lots of potential, Throws his weight around like he is 20 years old!
Nosad- Typical 2nd/3rd line player on a good hockey team, Speed/Grit/Skill
Murphy- Offensive D-Man (Good Wheels)
Varga-Stay at Home D-Man(plays simple)
Thompson- Grinder

Only think that is missing is depth of prospect centres.. Bring on Fabbri!! If Fabbri isn't drafted by the Petes and they take a winger like McCann could anybody tell me who could be a sleeper they could take early in the second round? That plays centre
The funny thing about Thompson is that he is a skilled player but he completely changed his game or maybe Peterborough asked him to play that way. He has turned more into the grinder/fighter type. He has always played with an edge but he's capable of playing more offensively.

This reminds me of Tyler Randell of the Kitchener Rangers, when he was in his Minor Midget year with Brampton Battalions, he was scoring majority of the goals and playing extremely well offensively . Once drafted to the OHL he changed his game into more of a grinder/power forward type.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
The funny thing about Thompson is that he is a skilled player but he completely changed his game or maybe Peterborough asked him to play that way. He has turned more into the grinder/fighter type. He has always played with an edge but he's capable of playing more offensively.

This reminds me of Tyler Randell of the Kitchener Rangers, when he was in his Minor Midget year with Brampton Battalions, he was scoring majority of the goals and playing extremely well offensively . Once drafted to the OHL he changed his game into more of a grinder/power forward type.
I'm sure once he matures.. Maybe grows an inch or two.. He can better use his frame to produce more offense! Love watching the kid play tho.. Such a 'bulldog' style.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:42 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
I'm sure once he matures.. Maybe grows an inch or two.. He can better use his frame to produce more offense! Love watching the kid play tho.. Such a 'bulldog' style.
OK people i thought this was a thread for '96 born prospects?????

Closed Thread