HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

'96 for 2012 ohl draft prospects (Part two)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Tough tournament for Oakville! broke out with 3 goals in first 5 minutes against whitby in the 1st game, ended up loosing in finals seconds. All downhill from there!

Oakville really missed Eric Luzar on the back-end. (shoulder seperation) should be back for OHL cup if invited.

The one that stood out for me was Stefan Leblanc, defensemen for Oakville. Double shifted the whole tournament! Kid has tremendous offensive up-side, great potential moving forward.

Any thoughts ?

To be fair, althouhg a great kid and perhaps a prospect from the perspective of the scouting community, Luzar was #5 d-man with the Rangers all season. Loss of him did affect ice time negatively for Renger defence overall, but biggest downfall this weekend was not getting the saves when necessary and special teams' ineffectiveness.

Hamilton, in the last couple of weeks of season and into the SCTA's and OMHA's shortened their bench considerably and rode Sinclair between the pipes. He has played very strongly for Hamilton. In my opinion, Murphy did not really stand out. Bulldogs have stepped it up on strong team play and good goaltending.

Hamilton coaching staff stepped up when necessary and rode their key horses, Oakville coaching staff did not. Them's the breaks, but certainly congrats to Hamilton for playing to win when it matters.

I was personally surpised by YSE ineffectiveness to win when necessary, STA seems to have stepped it up when needed. Good parity amongst the final 5 though.

Well done to all teams this weekend, good luck in OHL Cup to those who are invited!

Old
03-10-2012, 04:51 PM
ImaBullsfan

Why is it that year after year, teams like Windsor,London and Kitchener (THE BIG THREE) as alot of fans call them, there is high end prospects that only want to report to these teams? What is it money? ex-NHLers? kick backs from Agents? or the teams take the parents out on the town? Ok i know the so called greatest organizations have histories and such, but there is serious problems with the OHL draft process. Small market teams such as Belleville,Erie,Missy and Owen Sound will never servive if the top prospects refuse to report. Sorry for the rant but i know im not the only one that thinks this way.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Crottenham

As a prospect parent I can tell you that the main discussion topic is good programs and bad programs. Ultimately, if parents are going to send thei minors somewhere away from home at the age of 16, they want to know they are going to a first rate program.

As far as I'm concerned, this should be the main impetus for those programs not considered first rate to pull up their socks in order to attract all the kids. I know many will disagree, but bottom line is these athletes are not adults but children and so parents will continue to have a BIG say.

Old
03-10-2012, 07:00 PM
bonefizzle

I've got it on pretty good authority that the fronts will be taking a forward with their number 2 pick. However, my source isn't sure that they will choose the right one at 2.

Old
03-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

McDavid got exceptional status.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Lord of Light
R + L = Lightbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
source?

Old
03-11-2012, 12:18 AM
doogie24

A poster on the noof mentioned McDavid was in Erie tonight at the game with Bassin.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:40 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
I heard he got exceptional status like 2 weeks ago, we still have to wait for the official word though. If true this would be the 2nd player in a row from the Bobby Orr agency to receive the honor. Having meeting the gentlemen that work for this agency have nothing but respect for them. They are very talented and classy individuals and they represent some of the best up and coming players in North America.

Ken Campbell recently wrote a new article on McDavid check it out:- http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...OHL-draft.html

Old
03-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

It was made official last night...he was telling anyone that would listen....he has it for sure.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:44 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefizzle View Post
I've got it on pretty good authority that the fronts will be taking a forward with their number 2 pick. However, my source isn't sure that they will choose the right one at 2.
Hey Bonefizzle, sometimes GMs take players in anticipation for a future trade. If their first rounder doesnt report, then they get a similar compensatory pick the next year (draft pick position plus 1). They will trade that pick to a team that desperately wants him, but isnt high enough in the draft to select him, and agree to provide other players and usually draft picks.

Just like in recent years with Ebert and Domi. Majors didnt need Ebert that year as they were contending for Mem Cup and had all veterans. They most likely took Ebert that late, as they knew they would get a compensatory pick the next year, plus a bunch of future draft picks to help them when in need.

Let the games begin.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Hey Bonefizzle, sometimes GMs take players in anticipation for a future trade. If their first rounder doesnt report, then they get a similar compensatory pick the next year (draft pick position plus 1). They will trade that pick to a team that desperately wants him, but isnt high enough in the draft to select him, and agree to provide other players and usually draft picks.

Just like in recent years with Ebert and Domi. Majors didnt need Ebert that year as they were contending for Mem Cup and had all veterans. They most likely took Ebert that late, as they knew they would get a compensatory pick the next year, plus a bunch of future draft picks to help them when in need.

Let the games begin.
Its starting to look like they are...

Old
03-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
source?
I know him in real life, and he had about 200 people post on his FB wall

"Congrats on Exceptional!"

Old
03-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Its starting to look like they are...
Are some players starting to indicate they won't report to certain teams?

Old
03-11-2012, 10:07 AM
chewerjones

Hey Tigers1992, we agree again. That's twice in a few weeks. Wow. LOL

I hear from a little bird, that there are 2-3 top prospects with their camps/agents that are muddying the waters, and trying to manipulate the draft.

I dont know if I should be upset about the above, or happy that there are ONLY 2-3 prospects that are playing games.

We will see.

What do you hear Tiger?

Old
03-11-2012, 10:09 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Are some players starting to indicate they won't report to certain teams?
Every year, you have a couple of kids/parents that want preferences. Not a new thing.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Every year, you have a couple of kids/parents that want preferences. Not a new thing.
I honestly don't have a huge issue with it, as long as its for the right reasons. There are some programs out there that I shake my head at, and until they improve, I cant say its fair to force kids into a situation that could effect them both on the ice and off.

I went over it and over it in the other thread, the horse is dead IMO.

I won't mention whats going on, simply because if I do, people will start attacking 15 year old kids, which happens every time we mention this type of thing.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
I honestly don't have a huge issue with it, as long as its for the right reasons. There are some programs out there that I shake my head at, and until they improve, I cant say its fair to force kids into a situation that could effect them both on the ice and off.

I went over it and over it in the other thread, the horse is dead IMO.

I won't mention whats going on, simply because if I do, people will start attacking 15 year old kids, which happens every time we mention this type of thing.
Bang on, if the kids/parents do things for the right reasons, that is acceptable.

Most hockey purists would say that a kid should go where drafted, but those purists havent seen or accepted the change in the hockey landscape over the last 15 years, and all of a sudden its about personal and selfish reasons, rather than the GAME itself.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Loosie

Quote:
I know him in real life, and he had about 200 people post on his FB wall

"Congrats on Exceptional!"
Could this also be due to all the press the request has gotten? Bob McKenzie had a piece on this on TSN that said the decision wouldn't finally for probably another week or two.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Could this also be due to all the press the request has gotten? Bob McKenzie had a piece on this on TSN that said the decision wouldn't finally for probably another week or two.
I don't think so, he seems to be acknowledging that he's gotten it.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:31 AM
mapleleaf979

There is a ton of pressure even for top notch kids to perform and help turn OHL teams around. I dont think some kids want that pressure. I think that is the reason for this. Domi didnt want to go to Kingston last year even with his buddies dad there. Ive heard rumblings not alot of kids want to go to Kingston or Erie. An exempt player has to report, which will help at least one of these teams.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:40 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post

Yes thats a big reason. If he were not to get it imagine the big let down after telling the world about him? Its still pretty tight lipped about the kid who applied and didnt make it a few years ago. They dont want to destroy these kids. The TSN, pucklife, hockey news features are all hints about Mcdavid. If it was NO, then u would see none of this.

Mcdavid was at the Erie/Rangers game last night.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-11-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old
03-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:

Let the games begin.
I thought the comp pick first rounder was 8th at best and then pick spot+1 for all later picks. For example you can't take a kid first overall who you trade away and get a #2 overall comp pick the next year.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I thought the comp pick first rounder was 8th at best and then pick spot+1 for all later picks. For example you can't take a kid first overall who you trade away and get a #2 overall comp pick the next year.
Your half right. The best you can get is the fifth overall pick.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:36 AM
chewerjones

Good question, Ottomatic. Usually the players drafted in the first 5 picks report, but may be traded later on. The kids that wont report make it known, and they slip down the draft- Domi, Ebert, D. Hamilton and Marcantuoni. This is not good for the game.

Some kids that get drafted to teams that they dont want to go to, such as Niagara drafting Lessio a few years ago, and he doesnt report, it doesnt help either team. Niagara recd a draft pick for Lessio, and by Lessio holding out for a year, it stunted his Hockey development.

There is no perfect way, but I think there should be more rules against the consistent gamesters, as it is blatently an abuse of the process.

Sorry about the off track rant.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Torts

another year, more kids trying to manipulate the draft, what else is new

i thought for a second that this year might be different and they may go to where they selected. guess i was wrong.

Closed Thread