HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

'96 for 2012 ohl draft prospects (Part two)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
I've said it before, but until there are minimum standards for how players are treated, you'll continue to see it.

I'm not sure why some expect a 15 year old to go to a team that struggles with the basics, (high school grades, curfew management, billet management, discipline), but we never put the onus on the multi-million dollar teams to improve their operations.

Seems backwards, no?

Last edited by Tigers1992: 03-11-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old
03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Ottomatic

If I had a kid good enough to call his spot, he'd be calling his spot - either in the OHL or choosing his destination in the NCAA. I say this as a Windsor fan who's saw both sides first hand - the Riolo years and the debacle the last few years under his ownership and now the Boughner/Rychel ownership and how it's night and day.

Only thing the OHL has going for it now is 16-17 yr olds play straight away - while if the player wants to threaten the NCAA route they have to play in lesser leagues for two years. US born players have the National Team Development Program for the elite players to bridge the gap until the player reaches college age.

This is your son's life - I don't risk the kid hurting his pro chances by being drafted to a bad situation/program.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:30 PM
BigBuck

I think Kingston should do the same thing they did last year and take the best available player when it is their turn to pick. If they don't show up,so be it. Would they get 3 first round picks next year if the 2 players they pick this year don't show up? The OHL has to take some of the blame by not letting teams trade 1st round picks before the draft.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Ottomatic

First round picks should be able to be traded - but have to be swapped so each team has a first rounder. Ie Kingston trades their first rounder(second overall) for a couple picks and Windsor's first rounder (5th overall). This would be better than the comp system that teams exploit (including my Spitfires).

Kingston can't afford another not-report player, they need to put the best team on the ice now - another year without a first rounder - why would people pay to watch a team who doesn't get top talent on the ice?

And they'd be wasting their second overall pick to get a 5th overall comp next season. From all accounts this is a deep draft year. Kingston needs the 2nd and 9th picks on the ice for them next year.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Tigers1992

Teams that's have players purposely avoid them need to ask themselves why. Very rarely is it about anything other then a substandard program.

It's not a co-incidence that Owen Sound now has players wanting to go there after years of struggling to compete in the recruitment battle.

Fix the program, top players will come. It's very straight forward.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
PetesFan94

Ive heard from a couple of people that the petes are looking at Mckeown because the top end forwards(McCann,Fabbri,Ho-Sang) are scared to come to Peterborough because of the Watson, Spooner situations.. Can anybody else confirm this? or let me know anything they are hearing also? cheers.

Old
03-11-2012, 06:09 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Teams that's have players purposely avoid them need to ask themselves why. Very rarely is it about anything other then a substandard program.

It's not a co-incidence that Owen Sound now has players wanting to go there after years of struggling to compete in the recruitment battle.

Fix the program, top players will come. It's very straight forward.
Hey Tiger, I partially agree. Yes there are substandard programs out there, but it is not as easy to try and fix them as you say. Its like saying that all NHL cities are the same, and all NHLers should enjoy/commit to playing all equally. NEVER.

Alot of OHL teams are turned off because of their location/convenience/travel.

It might not be that some teams are substantial, but rather that some teams have the capabilities and tricks to do alot more.

The teams in the OHL are not all on the same playing field.

Old
03-11-2012, 06:12 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Ive heard from a couple of people that the petes are looking at Mckeown because the top end forwards(McCann,Fabbri,Ho-Sang) are scared to come to Peterborough because of the Watson, Spooner situations.. Can anybody else confirm this? or let me know anything they are hearing also? cheers.
Petes will not pick McCann.

If Fabbri and HO Sang are available at the Pete's spot, then they should draft them, and trade them to the team they want to go to, but not just for draft picks. They should get the other team's first rounder, plus draft picks.

I dont think Fabbri's camp would turn down Peterborough. I think Ho Sang's camp will, but I dont think that Petes want Ho Sang.

Old
03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
PetesFan94

do you have an inside source telling you why?.. i would love to know the details.. McCann would fit in well with the Petes roster. I got a bad feeling the Petes are going to get hosed in this draft.... I hope they draft Fabbri and convince him to sign.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:18 PM
chewerjones

I am almost certain, that the Petes will draft someone from the GTHL.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Petes will not pick McCann.

If Fabbri and HO Sang are available at the Pete's spot, then they should draft them, and trade them to the team they want to go to, but not just for draft picks. They should get the other team's first rounder, plus draft picks.

I dont think Fabbri's camp would turn down Peterborough. I think Ho Sang's camp will, but I dont think that Petes want Ho Sang.
Trades can only be for picks, not players.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Hey Tiger, I partially agree. Yes there are substandard programs out there, but it is not as easy to try and fix them as you say. Its like saying that all NHL cities are the same, and all NHLers should enjoy/commit to playing all equally. NEVER.

Alot of OHL teams are turned off because of their location/convenience/travel.

It might not be that some teams are substantial, but rather that some teams have the capabilities and tricks to do alot more.

The teams in the OHL are not all on the same playing field.
99 percent of the time it is.

I still dont get why we have no issue giving the multi-million dollor organization a pass, yet hold the 15 year old kid to some huge standard. I've yet to hear 'Well Team X should improve their program", vs. "He should just go where hes drafted.'

I dont get it.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
chewerjones

I understand you can only trade a player (no show) for drafts, but if the teams collude prior to the draft and agree to send each others first rounders directly to the other team, for draft picks.

For example, last year Fronts traded Domi for picks. Couldnt London have traded Horvat to Fronts for picks also? As long as Horvat and Domi wouldnt commit to their teams?

Sorry, if I am pulling a blonde moment.LOL

Old
03-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I understand you can only trade a player (no show) for drafts, but if the teams collude prior to the draft and agree to send each others first rounders directly to the other team, for draft picks.

For example, last year Fronts traded Domi for picks. Couldnt London have traded Horvat to Fronts for picks also? As long as Horvat and Domi wouldnt commit to their teams?

Sorry, if I am pulling a blonde moment.LOL
No, you certainly could, the only issue being that you could not trade them for the same picks.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
No, you certainly could, the only issue being that you could not trade them for the same picks.
Would both teams get a comp pick first rounder as well? Or would that be negated by the fact they both did end up with a first round pick from the draft?

Also I have to believe the league would frown on this, I mean how could both be declared disqualified players from their draft teams - seemingly for an acceptable reason - and then head to their new team and not have the same issues the traded player just had ie playing time/education opportunities...

Old
03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Would both teams get a comp pick first rounder as well? Or would that be negated by the fact they both did end up with a first round pick from the draft?

Also I have to believe the league would frown on this, I mean how could both be declared disqualified players from their draft teams - seemingly for an acceptable reason - and then head to their new team and not have the same issues the traded player just had ie playing time/education opportunities...
Nothing the league could do to be honest, its completely within the rules. They would also get the compensation picks.

For me, the issue would easily be solved by allowing teams to flip draft picks, but for some reason that seems to be a no no. I dont see a negative myself, but I dont run the league lol.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
99 percent of the time it is.

I still dont get why we have no issue giving the multi-million dollor organization a pass, yet hold the 15 year old kid to some huge standard. I've yet to hear 'Well Team X should improve their program", vs. "He should just go where hes drafted.'

I dont get it.
I agree that the kids should have some say in where they play hockey,The league should allow teams to trade picks at the draft table instead of embarrassing the GMs and making the kids look selfish. If they could trade these picks teams like London and Windsor wouldn't get 2 1st round picks every year. Players want to go there because they win and this how they do it.

As a Kingston fan I was looking forward to the draft and was considering going to the OHL cup to check out some of these players.But now I hear all this crap about players not reporting. I'm out!

Old
03-11-2012, 08:57 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
I agree that the kids should have some say in where they play hockey,The league should allow teams to trade picks at the draft table instead of embarrassing the GMs and making the kids look selfish. If they could trade these picks teams like London and Windsor wouldn't get 2 1st round picks every year. Players want to go there because they win and this how they do it.

As a Kingston fan I was looking forward to the draft and was considering going to the OHL cup to check out some of these players.But now I hear all this crap about players not reporting. I'm out!
Wow, mark this on the wall, a BULLS fan totally agreeing with a FRONTS fani'm also sick of all the hidden politics, the same teams seem to get prospects to set out smoke screens to pick them at their selection. Dont fear windsor and london always get who they want, doesnt matter what # they pick. Hope we can a player that can inject some intesity to the line-up. Hope you bigbuck enjoys the draft....I know i will

Old
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Wow, mark this on the wall, a BULLS fan totally agreeing with a FRONTS fani'm also sick of all the hidden politics, the same teams seem to get prospects to set out smoke screens to pick them at their selection. Dont fear windsor and london always get who they want, doesnt matter what # they pick. Hope we can a player that can inject some intesity to the line-up. Hope you bigbuck enjoys the draft....I know i will
So you put all the onus on the kids, and none on the teams that need to impove? 99 percent of the time is 'I dont want to go to this program', not 'Ill only go here'.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:38 PM
FrontenacSens

I hope Kingston drafts the best player(Ho-Sang) and he wants to report. I hope all the players want to report because Kingston could very well host the Memorial Cup in 2014 and these players would be top players by then.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Petes96

I know that this is my first posting but I've watched this age group for years and have a pretty good handle on the players and can comment on a few. Of course the OHL cup next weekend will bring at least one player up the rankings and will go around or two ahead of where they should actually go. example Perkin

Old
03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
NHL Fanatic

You have to look at it from both sides. These kids are 16 and moving away from home to pursue their hockey careers. Your not going to send your kid to an organization that has a bad history. You have to take in account the off ice factor such as school, curfew, how the organization treats its players, billets etc. All organizations should conduct a police check with all their billets.

You can't blame a parent wanting their child to go to a good program. It's partly why the good organizations are so successful. Apart from the London, Windsor and Kitchener programs most players can't necessarily distinguish the good programs vs the bad ones. This is where the agents come in. Another reason why players don't report are their agents, its the agents job to know which OHL teams can develop their players and provide them with not only the support on ice but off ice as well. Which is normally a huge factor when you see players that don't report.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Petes96

here's my mock draft

Erie - McDavid - speaks for himself the kid is amazing and a great person (hope they move to Hamilton for his sake)
Kingston - McKweon - needs a stud d-man and he fits the bill
Petes - Cornell/McCann - petes NEED a centreman badly and someone to play with Ritchie and Nosad
Soo - Fabbri - this kid has some grind to him and will fit in well in the north
Guelph - Ho-Sang - has dropped to this position merely on teams wants and needs but Guelph can not let him go any further
Windsor - Cornell/McCann - again windsor needs a centreman like the petes
Mississauga - Middleton - close to McKweon status but is a stay at home d-man
Belleville - Dal Colle - speed kills in this rink, only Ho-sang fits the bill here but Dal Colle has all the tools
Kingston - Bennett - the offensive player that will compliment Kujawinski
Oshawa - Hiddink - with the Gens losing some offense they'll need some replacement scoring
Saginaw - Jacobs - they can steer this d-man from NCAA
Owen Sound - Spinozzi - yes you heard it hear first this kid is the real deal in the show and the Attack need a d-man
Sarnia - Herbst - first goaltender taken in the first round
Sudbury - Petti - another strong winger that has some soft hands
Brampton - Hargrave - big power forward who has come to the forefront since Fabbri was suspended
Barrie - Perlini - the first player that will come to the OHL and not declare NCAA
Kitchener - Watson - strong forward who has been in McCann's shadow all season
Ottawa - Lindo - here is the player from the OHL cup that will be a star and come up the rankings - made the mistake last year with Perkin but Lindo is the real deal
Niagara - Schmalz - the forward, huge upside and will have to work on his skating but OHL shot for sure
Plymouth - Duchesne - another solid d-man
Niagara - Bourne - building on size since they will be losing lots this year
London - MacInnis - only the Knights could pull this one off and convince him to come to London.

thoughts ?

second round will be great as well but we don't know the rankings of the teams with all the trading that went on

Old
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
here's my mock draft

Erie - McDavid - speaks for himself the kid is amazing and a great person (hope they move to Hamilton for his sake)
Kingston - McKweon - needs a stud d-man and he fits the bill
Petes - Cornell/McCann - petes NEED a centreman badly and someone to play with Ritchie and Nosad
Soo - Fabbri - this kid has some grind to him and will fit in well in the north
Guelph - Ho-Sang - has dropped to this position merely on teams wants and needs but Guelph can not let him go any further
Windsor - Cornell/McCann - again windsor needs a centreman like the petes
Mississauga - Middleton - close to McKweon status but is a stay at home d-man
Belleville - Dal Colle - speed kills in this rink, only Ho-sang fits the bill here but Dal Colle has all the tools
Kingston - Bennett - the offensive player that will compliment Kujawinski
Oshawa - Hiddink - with the Gens losing some offense they'll need some replacement scoring
Saginaw - Jacobs - they can steer this d-man from NCAA
Owen Sound - Spinozzi - yes you heard it hear first this kid is the real deal in the show and the Attack need a d-man
Sarnia - Herbst - first goaltender taken in the first round
Sudbury - Petti - another strong winger that has some soft hands
Brampton - Hargrave - big power forward who has come to the forefront since Fabbri was suspended
Barrie - Perlini - the first player that will come to the OHL and not declare NCAA
Kitchener - Watson - strong forward who has been in McCann's shadow all season
Ottawa - Lindo - here is the player from the OHL cup that will be a star and come up the rankings - made the mistake last year with Perkin but Lindo is the real deal
Niagara - Schmalz - the forward, huge upside and will have to work on his skating but OHL shot for sure
Plymouth - Duchesne - another solid d-man
Niagara - Bourne - building on size since they will be losing lots this year
London - MacInnis - only the Knights could pull this one off and convince him to come to London.

thoughts ?

second round will be great as well but we don't know the rankings of the teams with all the trading that went on
Nice list. Most guys seem to be there.

Dylan Diperna to me has an OHL shot and has Excellent skating and top end speed. Id rather Diperna over Duchense. But thats me. Duchense and Dal Colle need to improve on there skating. Dal Colle has a stuggling stride and will struggle to keep up with guys but he could change that.

S.Watson is the best pure sniper in this draft in my opinion. I have him higher than Bennett.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Ottomatic

Spits need a pure, create-his-own-offense-type, scorer more than centerman per se. On their roster for next year Khohklachev, Vail, Clarke, Johnson and Studnicka can all play center.

Closed Thread