HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 68: Jets (2) @ Canucks (3) Kesler, Edler, Pahlsson

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 01:00 AM
dhabums*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
lol another Kassian hater from out of the woodworks. Kassian can't play like a beast every night, just ask Coho, he was slumping pretty bad before he was traded too.
"Hodgy".

What else do you need to know?

Old
03-09-2012, 01:01 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Another random note:

Even though it's only been a few games, Hamhuis is a better option on the PP than Gragnani.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:02 AM
KassianB34ST

Who new Pahlsson had a shot like that? That was wired into the top shelf. I would have not expected to see the GWG from him, but I am glad he got it. Kesler had an unlucky night (two crossbars), but at least he got a goal. Good to get back on the winning sheet!

Old
03-09-2012, 01:02 AM
David71

kesler was a beast. mag/tanev pairing was decent. but they gotta make quick decisions in the offensive zone. when pressuring dont be afraid to shoot the puck. moreso mag than tanev. sedins was good, burrows was awful tonight IMO. kept losing the puck while the sedins had control. kassian was quiet then got benched.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 4856
I still wanna know how Pavelec saw that shot from the point.

Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Sami Salo.
Edler was worse. Got beat by Wheeler and took a penalty; couldn't control Kyle Wellwood, the weakest guy in the league, on the first Jet goal; fell down to create the chance that turned into the second goal; blew a pinch in the third to give the Jets a 2-on-1 when the score was still tied. He was fine offensively, but a bunch of shots and a lucky goal doesn't offset the defensive disasters.

Old
OgoBoHo

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHaiti View Post
"Hodgy".

What else do you need to know?
Yeah, just saw that now.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:06 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
kesler was a beast. mag/tanev pairing was decent. but they gotta make quick decisions in the offensive zone. when pressuring dont be afraid to shoot the puck. moreso mag than tanev. sedins was good, burrows was awful tonight IMO. kept losing the puck while the sedins had control. kassian was quiet then got benched.
My thoughts as well.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:06 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Hodgson cost Sabres a goal tonight to...both have been underachieving to be fair.
Not really, at least not Kassian. It's unfair to expect a lot more than what he's provided so far. (granted, he's been pretty invisible in the last two games)

Old
03-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Loved Kesler's post-game comments.

"Want to get back to playing the way we know we can and not limp into the playoffs."

Old
03-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Not really, at least not Kassian. It's unfair to expect a lot more than what he's provided so far. (granted, he's been pretty invisible in the last two games)
Invisible is better than costing his team points... plus he does have 2 points, Hodgson has absolutely nothing with ample PP time. I wouldn't say he's underachieving.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Win. Forwards showed a lot of sandpaper/grit tonight:

1 Hansen - outstanding
2 Kesler - excellent, goal and 2 cross-bars
3 Lapierre - excellent. 7:46 of ice-time only though so limited impact on the game...
4 Higgins - very good. huge difference to 2nd line.
5 Pahlsson - very good + game winner
6 Booth - very good offensively and showing a bit more grit
7 Henrik - good. effort was there but no results...
8 Daniel - ditto.
9 Burrows - good but not up to his usual "excellent" rating. Trying too hard.
10 Raymond - fair. worked very hard but flaws in his game became apparent tonight. First, 3rd line wasn't as good because Higgins >> Raymond . 2nd, skates miles but is all over the ice which causes coverage issues for his teammates. 3rd, can't finish.
11 Malhotra - fair.
12 Kassian - poor. looked completely gassed.

At this stage, Lapierre deserves to be on the 3rd line ahead of Raymond if only for the deserved ice-time. Kassian needs to come out in favour of Wiese.

Winnipeg - Except for a few players, this is one of the weaker teams Canucks have faced this year. Pavelec must be keeping them in the playoff race. Kane is a beast though. If refs called the game properly, the only bench Stuart would see all period is the one in the penalty box.

* Jets fans were louder than 'Nucks fans...

* Ice was terrible - hard to get a shot off when puck is rolling (re. Raymond, Higgins chances).

* Tanev was excellent. Gragnani looked better (moves the puck effectively) though the coach did not trust him enough to put him on the PK (Salo and Tanev 2 RH were the pair when Edler was penalized).

Old
M A K A V E L I*

Old
aandbreatheme

I really wish we could have seen more of our new PP unit. They looked good.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Crows*

Burrows has really been struggling .

Old
03-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Yea i would agree with that.

I mean you have two camps. One pissed about the trade or buffalo fans who give him no credit, if you look at that camp hes done alot better.

If you look at the other camp who wanted him to be a second line player i think its a bit of reality check.

He still does good in my mind considering hes played 30 some nhl games. There is going to be alot more of this from him, but i think he should pick up the physical game.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Thanks MAK. I'll add thyat to the OP.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:15 AM
keslerburrows

Lovin' the AMEX line.
Sedins played great, atleast IMO.
Pahlsson and Hansen, pretty great for the most part.
4rth line. Meh.
Defense, overall, very good.
Schneider was, well Schneider.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Kagee*

For this team to succeed it's obvious one of Kesler's line or the Twins line has to be in beast mode, with some help from one of the goalies.
This game and the past 4-5 games solidify that theory.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:19 AM
David71

its time to sit burrows! (SHHH)))

Old
03-09-2012, 01:21 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Sedins played great, atleast IMO.
They had their chances. It's only a matter of time. (wishful thinking? perhaps)

Old
03-09-2012, 01:22 AM
WonderTwinsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
For this team to succeed it's obvious one of Kesler's line or the Twins line has to be in beast mode, with some help from one of the goalies.
This game and the past 4-5 games solidify that theory.
Wait, you're saying that our best players need to be our best players?

My God, alert AV. This person has found the solution everyone else missed.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:22 AM
ahmon

Pahlsson, crazy checking and scores big goals. Thats why his experience and ability is invaluable for a cup run.

Kesler- beast mode

Sedin line- getting better, still they need to defend better, too many times caught in their zone. Its one thing not to score, its another to become defensive liabilities.
At least get stronger in their own end before the playoffs start. I think the sedins slump has now affected burrows to the point where he has lost some confidence too.

Higgins- really one of the glue on this team, every line he plays, and it gets better, above average in all areas and his work ethic does wonders.

Booth- you know he has poor vision, and average board play but if theres one thing he does well, is he uses his speed and goes to the net. Almost scored another goal, where he took the dman wide, and cut across the crease.

raymond- once you remove him from the top6, hes actually a pretty good role player. fast, relatively good defensively.

hansen- had some good shifts in the 3rd, a luxury to have on the 3rd line. Ferocious forechecker.

manny- playing much better than earlier in the year. nice block on byfuglien in the end there.

lappy- one of our key physical presence, hits like a bull. Just his physical play alone will be valuable come playoff time.

kassian- the kid is what 20. So can't expect him to be great defensively. He will make mistakes, and obviously can't expect him to put up top 6 production. The one thing I will complain is the physical game. If theres one thing I need to see from him is some intimidation. After a handful games now, I expect him to be at least in 1 fight.

Hamhuis- superb dman, so strong defensively and 1on1. Can defend and support the offense. Our best dman ever since he got here.

Bieksa- had some bad bieksa moments, but as long as he is paired with hamhuis, he is helping this team.

Edler- has all the potential in the world to be a norris level dman, but has times that he looks clumsy or looks lost. Feast or Famine, very inconsistent.

salo- overall very smooth, but to nitpick at times too passive. You can see how in 2-on-1s he leaves too much room for the shooter. It basically becomes a breakaway.

Tanev- he should be playing everynight, one of our most dependable dman, moves the puck swiftly and smartly. I see some untapped offense in his game.The only thing is he leaves himself open to hit too often.

Gragnani- looks like lukas krajicek. good offensive skills, average to slight underaverage defensively.

Schneider- Cory was strong. First goal, wellwood was left all alone in front. You give wellwood that much time, and we all know this guy has crazy mittens. 2nd goal, he did cheat to the middle. But on that 2-on1, the way the lone dman play it, it was almost a pure breakaway. It looked like wheeler with his reach was going to pull it across, and then he caught cory short side. So cory could have been better there, but overall still decent.

winnipeg has some big/strong and skilled players, like kane, ladd, wheeler, big buff. Add a couple really good centers on that team, and its scary.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
They had their chances. It's only a matter of time. (wishful thinking? perhaps)
It's going to be tough with how bad Burrows has been.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:23 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
Wait, you're saying that our best players need to be our best players?

My God, alert AV. This person has found the solution everyone else missed.
I think he meant that only ONE line (out of the top 2) needs to be terrific in order for the Canucks to win (plus either goalie playing very well).

Closed Thread