HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Early PO exit + Not Signing Parise = Top 4 D-Man Must Be Traded

View Poll Results: If you HAD to trade one of the following D-men, who would you trade?
McDonagh 0 0%
Del Z 13 17.11%
Girardi 30 39.47%
Staal 33 43.42%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-09-2012, 12:57 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Early PO exit + Not Signing Parise = Top 4 D-Man Must Be Traded

If we don't win the cup, AND miss out on Parise, someone from our top four D-men has to go (because it's the only place where we have depth) so we can acquire a legitimate offensive talent in the Summer, whether that talent is Bobby Ryan, Rick Nash, or trading for a top two pick at the draft, etc.

In this situation we could afford to do this, and should do this. Erixon, who has 29 points in 39 games for the CT Whale, has a 95% chance of coming up next season, plus we should have Sauer back by then, or at the very least sometime next season. If you ask me this is a call between Girardi and Staal.

Pick your poison.

McDonagh
Del Zotto
Girardi
Staal

We all love these guys, but we have to put that aside. The fact of the matter is that trades that get you talent where you need it are SUPPOSED to hurt. Trades like the Gomez trade are anomalies and should not be expected.

If we win the cup, then the team ain't broke so we shouldn't fix it.

If we fail in the playoffs because of our lack of offense, and don't sign Parise, one of these guys has to go.

I would have to trade Girardi from the above listed players as the core player going the other way for an offensive talent. It would hurt me as a fan (), but I know it would be the right move for this team going forward, and ultimately it would make us better.

Couldn't resist using "Del Z," sorry guys.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
no.

i wouldnt trade any of our top 4 D.

to me early playoff exit has zero implications on what we do in the offseason.

Go hard after parise. if you cant sign him, trade for nash. if you cant trade for him, and im assuming Bobby Ryan is prohibitively expensive, then stand pat. get rid of some of the lower end players...ie, fedotenko, scott, maybe Rupp except hes signed for another year isnt he?

Bring in Kreider, JT Miller (if hes ready) and Erixon and go with the full blown youth movement. accelerate the teams transition to our kids.

if you strike out on everyone, go with this next year...

AA - Stepan - Gaborik
Kreider - Richards - Callahan
Hagelin - JT Miller/Mitchell - JT Miller/Mitchell
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

MCD - Girardi
Staal - Erixon
MDZ - Sauer

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

this is quite the algorithm

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Xtranova

Surprised that Girardi "leads" this poll at the time. Personally I'm not willing to deal any of them to be honest, but somehow I feel we played better defensively when Staal was out. Any care to at least pretend to agree with me?

But then again... Speculations, speculations....

We need to get something extra before the play-offs though. Scott just doesn't cut it. Actually jack s*** that is!

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:55 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Sauer... he's the trade bait I'd say.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Sauer... he's the trade bait I'd say.
Yeah what GM is giving up anything for a guy with scrambled brains and a history of being brittle in the rest of us body .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
this is quite the algorithm
it gets bad around here lol. But we can't score for **** anymore.1 goal per game

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:34 AM
NCRanger

Why is this even being brought up?

As I have said before, 95% of Ranger fans over 40 would want anything to do with that spawn of evil (Parise).

For those of you who don't know, Zac Parise's father, J.P., who was basically a no-name scrub, scored a overtime goal seven seconds in at the Garden in Game #3 of the opening round (they played 3 game series back then) of the 1975 playoffs for the Islanders. This gave the Islanders legitimacy, and started the Rangers into a tailspin. The Rangers were a contender for most of the early 70's. This playoff exit is what started the whole "curse" nonsense and the "1940" chants.

The name Parise should NEVER be on the back of any Ranger sweater, PERIOD!

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:48 AM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post

As I have said before, 95% of Ranger fans over 40 would want anything to do with that spawn of evil (Parise).

For those of you who don't know, Zac Parise's father, J.P., who was basically a no-name scrub, scored a overtime goal seven seconds in at the Garden in Game #3 of the opening round (they played 3 game series back then) of the 1975 playoffs for the Islanders. This gave the Islanders legitimacy, and started the Rangers into a tailspin. The Rangers were a contender for most of the early 70's. This playoff exit is what started the whole "curse" nonsense and the "1940" chants.

Please...please tell me you're joking.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Vitto79

this team is first in the East by 6 pts and we see Threads like Biron sucks, Trading our beloved top 4............will you guys freaking chill already

I rather see some issues now then playoff time.......take a breather

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
this team is first in the East by 6 pts and we see Threads like Biron sucks, Trading our beloved top 4............will you guys freaking chill already

I rather see some issues now then playoff time.......take a breather
Yes but the current issues is what is ultimately going to be this team's down fall

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:

Yeeeah, that make sense. We should also hire someone to kill his kitten.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:10 AM
eco's bones

All of this we have to do this--have to do that if 'this' doesn't happen isn't very realistic. Arguably we'll be a better team next year not doing anything. 1) our top 4 are all young guys--and 3 of them haven't even reached their peak years--they should be even better--especially considering Staal being healthy at the start. And if we've got Sauer back--even better. I wouldn't be in any hurry to trade any of them.
2) many of our forwards like Stepan and Hagelin should also be better. Add in Kreider--subtract one or two of the older checking forwards---we should be bigger, younger, faster--with a number of very worthy young guys who again are nowhere near their prime years. And they'll be cap friendly.

If there is one area I might look to change things up it's in the backup goalie position. Whether that means replacing Biron or having a young guy who can shuttle back and forth between the NHL and AHL. There are a number of younger goalies out there who are on the cusp. I don't think it would be a bad idea to acquire one if only as an insurance policy--and if this isn't Biron's last year with us then next year very well might be. The Devils picked up Kinkaid last summer. He'd been going to our prospect camps before that. Most teams have more in the pipeline in goal than we do.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

The trade deadline killed this team, at the very least we should have went after a third line defenseman. One without "Scott" on the back of his jersey. I guess as we reflect back on this season at some point, the lack of additional help at the deadline will always be questionable IMO. Maybe management has already conceded this season? Kinda crazy how a team first in it's conference is expected to fail in the postseason miserably, not just my opinion, one that's shared among a lot of hockey brains around the NHL.

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Crease

I tried doing the math but I got #DIV/0!

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:47 AM
NYR Viper

No way I trade any of them. If they want to move Stralman, Sauer or Bickel fine. But eht op-4 needs to stay.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Win the Cup this season or bust is not logical. How many teams go from not winning a playoff series in 3 years to winning the Cup? Chicago lost in the WCF in 2009 and won the Cup in 10. Boston was upset by the Canes in 09 and they blew a 3-0 lead to Philly in 10 before winning the Cup in 11. Everyone needs some form of playoff adversity and heartbreak before finally winning. Except for Pitt in 2008,most teams need to lose before they reach the finals. Pitt had their heartbreak in 08 B4 winning in 09. Pitt and Chicago were terrible teams in previous years. Some teams are Cinderella and reach the finals but the Rangers have that luck once every million years. Even the Torts teams in TB had some playoff success before winning. The Rangers haven't won a series since NJ in 2008. Go back and look at the Cup winners in the last 20 years. Usually the teams has playoff success and failure before winning.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
bmw2004

By the time playoff comes we will become an unbeatable team and win 16 consecutive games. Can you beleive it? I can not.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:20 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

Hyperbole much?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I think Sauer's recovery will play a big part in what happens next.

IMO, Sauer can be just as good defensively as Staal when you factor in Sauer doesnt make the bonehead passes Staal does on a nightly basis. In fact, after seeing Staal regress because of the head shot, I'm convinced he's going to be the odd man out.

Something has to give. The Rangers used the 10th overall pick on a defenseman. They went out an acquired one of the 10 best defensive prospects in the game.

Staal is the most expensive asset on the blue line, but he also has the notoriety and the term. He's easily a guy many teams would covet.

In Summation -- trade Staal.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I think Sauer's recovery will play a big part in what happens next.

IMO, Sauer can be just as good defensively as Staal when you factor in Sauer doesnt make the bonehead passes Staal does on a nightly basis. In fact, after seeing Staal regress because of the head shot, I'm convinced he's going to be the odd man out.

Something has to give. The Rangers used the 10th overall pick on a defenseman. They went out an acquired one of the 10 best defensive prospects in the game.

Staal is the most expensive asset on the blue line, but he also has the notoriety and the term. He's easily a guy many teams would covet.

In Summation -- trade Staal.
He's the assistant captain for a reason. I think trading him would have a larger impact than most people believe.

Old
03-09-2012, 09:49 AM
TRC
Rookie User

Have to make a trade because apparently Staal-MDZ-McD all play the left side and not one of them can make the transition to the right. Or at least the coaches haven't figured out that if Staal or MDZ would move that would allow the top four defensemen on the roster to be the top 4 defensemen in the pairings on the ice.

It's cute that Bickel went a month and a half not being in the ice for a goal against because he was playing with Staal and against other teams 3rd & 4th line but it's unrealistic to have any of those three (Staal-MDZ-McD) on the 3rd pairing.

I don't know if Staal has lost any trade value with the concussion but him, Miller or Thomas + a 1st rd pick for Nash or Ryan should be pushed. I'd make it Miller & Thomas if that's what it took.

Also, if Calgary misses the playoffs would push to see if Iginla wants a chance to win a Cup in NY before he goes away. Staal + pick should be enough for Calgary.

TRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I wouldn't "want" to trade any of them, but I actually agree. I wouldn't have a problem trading, say, Girardi, particularly if Sauer is deemed healthy. It's simply that Girardi is the most expendable one because this team can't afford to lose MDZ or McD. They're too effective offensively. If I have to choose between Staal and Girardi, I'll choose Staal.

If the Rangers put together a package of Girardi, Dubinsky, and a pick or prospect for Bobby Ryan, I could get behind something like that. If they get Kreider into the lineup this season, his play will have an affect on this issue, as well.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
He's the assistant captain for a reason. I think trading him would have a larger impact than most people believe.
Thats why you get a good enough return to offset the loss of a leader.

It's a business. These guys know it. Chris Drury was a captain who was demoted, benched then ultimately bought out.

If Staal was traded for a guy like Nash or Ryan or Weber, people -- fans and players -- would get over it in a hurry.

I know I would.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Crease

If Dubinsky just maintained his .31 goals per game rate that he had last season, he'd have 19 thus far this season. That would put the Rangers tied 8th in the NHL in goals for (with a game in hand over Toronto).