HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Miko Makela vs. Michael Grabner

Old
03-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
Miko Makela vs. Michael Grabner

The similarities are uncanny. Trade Grabner and his contract this off-season. What's even worse is Makela was a better hockey player.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:01 AM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
The similarities are uncanny. Trade Grabner and his contract this off-season. What's even worse is Makela was a better hockey player.
How similar? Makela was a borderline Swedish goon. Grabner avoids contact. Or do you mean something else?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:18 AM
frankieboy

Mikko Makela was no goon, far from it. I think you may be referring to Mats Hallin, who got into some fights.

I personally don't see much in common between Grabner and Makela except they both are Europeans. Makela was a great skater, too, but not as fast as Grabner. Makela was not overly physical, but he was much more physical than Grabner...he actually worked the corners (not in a Tonelli-like way, but he'd dig the puck out). Also, Makela had multiple good years...from 16 goals to 24 goals to 36 goals. I thought he was trending up, and then he fell off and never regained that form. That COULD be the only thing they have in common and maybe that is what you were referring to, but we won't know that for years.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Strummergas

Jeez, can Grabner play at least another NHL season before we start comparing him to players that didn't live up to early expectations? I'm not happy with the way he's played this season either, but lots of players have horrid 2nd years only to rebound in their 3rd seasons.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:55 AM
gramatanboy

Makela was bigger and better than Grabner. Unless Grabner can increase his strength in the offseason, he will be nothing but a one trick pony in the NHL and he's not even that good at scoring on breakaways. It's up to Grabner at this point to see if he really is determined to improve and become a solid two way NHL player or just a floater who would be better off playing in Europe.

gramatanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Aucoin3

haha I think you and I are the only ones that even remember Makela.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:23 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
How similar? Makela was a borderline Swedish goon. Grabner avoids contact. Or do you mean something else?
Makela was neither Swedish nor a goon

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:43 AM
gramatanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
haha I think you and I are the only ones that even remember Makela.
But does anyone rememer Makela's Finnish sidekick Ari Haanpaa??

gramatanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
xECK29x

Holy moly boys, girls, relax...it's only his second full season, yes we have seen some bad habits but give him at least another year.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:19 AM
RWWallpaper

...I purchased a Mikko Makela jersey at the NVMC 6 DAYS BEFORE THEY DEALT HIM TO LA!!!

...his best goal of all time was the breakaway where he just let the puck slide past the goaltender while never actually shooting it...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
macleod50

Quote:
What?

A goon? Nope

Swedish? Nope.

Last edited by macleod50: 03-11-2012 at 09:44 AM.
macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Makela had a real good teaser year in 87-88 with 36 goals at the age of 22/23.
Grabner had a real good teaser year in 10-11 with 34 for goals at the age of 23

Makela was a very fast RW
Grabner is a very fast RW

Makela left-handed shot
Grabner left-handed shot

Makela played at 6-1 180-190
Grabner plays 6-0 170-180

Makela had a stark fall off in 1988-89 with 14 goals and 23 assists at the age of 23/24
Grabner has had a stark fall off with 15g 10a thus far at the age of 24

I remember Makela very well. I remember him taking the cover of Newsday in February or March of 1988. I remember him being referred to as "The Speedy Finn", or something like that. I remember we though we had a star winger based on the 1987-88 season. I remember he opened the scoring against the Devils in the 1988 playoffs.
In the toughness department, they're not similar. But in the hype of of one season and the expectations that follow, they are quite similar. Islander management should know their history and learn from it.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Makela had a real good teaser year in 87-88 with 36 goals at the age of 22/23.
Grabner had a real good teaser year in 10-11 with 34 for goals at the age of 23

Makela was a very fast RW
Grabner is a very fast RW

Makela left-handed shot
Grabner left-handed shot

Makela played at 6-1 180-190
Grabner plays 6-0 170-180

Makela had a stark fall off in 1988-89 with 14 goals and 23 assists at the age of 23/24

I remember Makela very well. I remember him taking the cover of Newsday in February or March of 1988. I remember him being referred to as "The Speedy Finn", or something like that. I remember we though we had a star winger based on the 1987-88 season. I remember he opened the scoring against the Devils in the 1988 playoffs.
In the toughness department, they're not similar. But in the hype of of one season and the expectations that follow, they are quite similar. Islander management should know their history and learn from it.
Yes, because something happened over 20 years ago definitely means it's DEFINITELY going to happen again today. Grabner may very well never replicate his rookie campaign. But if that were to happen, it's certainly not due to "history".

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
frankieboy

I see what you are getting at BW and you draw some interesting parallels, but I still think they are different players and we need to give Grabner more time.

In terms of looking at their one big years, I think you are missing something with Makela. He broke onto the NHL scene with 16 goals his rookie year, not too shabby. His second season he scored 24. It was his third NHL season where he scored 36. Yeah, he had a drop off after that, was traded and the rest is history.

By the way, Makela was 6-2 and most places I recall had him listed at 203 pounds (even a quick GOOGLE search revealed that his weight was listed at 200). That is bigger than Grabner.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
RWWallpaper

Makela had much better hands than Grabs does but was NOWHERE NEAR as fast in regard to skating...and to be fair, few players are.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Makela had much better hands than Grabs does but was NOWHERE NEAR as fast in regard to skating...and to be fair, few players are.
Makela had very good speed, and better hands for sure.

When I'm talking about similarities, I'm not talking about pound for pound styles. If I had to choose between 23 year old Makela and 23 year old Grabner, without a thought, I'm taking Makela. My point is that there was a certain amount of excitement about Makela in 1987-88 and immediately following, and I see the same thing happening with Grabner, especially since he's not as good. If Grabner is to be traded, which he's probably not, he'd be a "throw-in" as a part of any deal. In the end, I think that the Islanders are better off without him. He's been invisible all year, and I don't think he's a serious hockey player. Kyle Okposo, who I've been very hard on, is at least visible, even if it's for the wrong reasons, the guy tries. Grabner is a fast guy, who people somehow tricked themselves into believing he was like Pavel Bure, I would like to go on record as confirming that I've never spewed such nonsense, but Grabner is a fast hockey player, and he really only has straight ahead speed, who at the end of his career, will have had his career year in 2010-11, which was really a career half-season. I'd say it's a good idea to move him while other teams can still be interested in the good rookie [half] season.

Not a clone for Makela, stylistically, though there are similarities, but I defnitely see a Makela-like career. And that's not a good thing.

Old
03-09-2012, 04:20 PM
luki here

Quote:
Makela had very good speed, and better hands for sure.

When I'm talking about similarities, I'm not talking about pound for pound styles. If I had to choose between 23 year old Makela and 23 year old Grabner, without a thought, I'm taking Makela. My point is that there was a certain amount of excitement about Makela in 1987-88 and immediately following, and I see the same thing happening with Grabner, especially since he's not as good. If Grabner is to be traded, which he's probably not, he'd be a "throw-in" as a part of any deal. In the end, I think that the Islanders are better off without him. He's been invisible all year, and I don't think he's a serious hockey player. Kyle Okposo, who I've been very hard on, is at least visible, even if it's for the wrong reasons, the guy tries. Grabner is a fast guy, who people somehow tricked themselves into believing he was like Pavel Bure, I would like to go on record as confirming that I've never spewed such nonsense, but Grabner is a fast hockey player, and he really only has straight ahead speed, who at the end of his career, will have had his career year in 2010-11, which was really a career half-season. I'd say it's a good idea to move him while other teams can still be interested in the good rookie [half] season.

Not a clone for Makela, stylistically, though there are similarities, but I defnitely see a Makela-like career. And that's not a good thing.
grabs tries. he hates playing as ineffectively as he does this year. its obvious!

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

The organization is going to see what happens next year before deciding on Grabner's fate. If it's just a sophomore slump and returns to form next season then great! If he doesn't then he should be serious trade bait. His speed is elite in the NHL and some team will want him at that contact. There will be several kids that could replace him too - Nino, Petrov, Kabanov, Lee, Nelson, etc.

Let's not do anything hasty.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:16 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
The organization is going to see what happens next year before deciding on Grabner's fate. If it's just a sophomore slump and returns to form next season then great! If he doesn't then he should be serious trade bait. His speed is elite in the NHL and some team will want him at that contact. There will be several kids that could replace him too - Nino, Petrov, Kabanov, Lee, Nelson, etc.

Let's not do anything hasty.
My exact feelings. Wash, rinse, repeat.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
My exact feelings. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Shampoo companies direct this so that the consumer replaces the product on a more regular basis.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
From Finland.

And Grabner may never add the offense that he did for a few years.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3335

Makela's problems were in the work department. I also think I remember him being a fan of night life.

Grabner is simply not NHL-efficient in many departments and is a wasted roster space if he's not getting 2 or 3 breakaways per game.

Alas, I fear anyone who anaylzes his whole game will come to the following conclusion: He's not in a sophomore slump, but rather a one-trick pony who's now been sussed out by the rest of the league and has not been able to adapt, because his game is lacking on so many other fronts.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
In 88-89, he had 17-28-45, but it was his fourth complete NHL season and the first that didn't see him having an upward swing in his statistical achievements.

Then it was downhill from there.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:14 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
From Finland.

And Grabner may never add the offense that he did for a few years.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3335

Makela's problems were in the work department. I also think I remember him being a fan of night life.

Grabner is simply not NHL-efficient in many departments and is a wasted roster space if he's not getting 2 or 3 breakaways per game.

Alas, I fear anyone who anaylzes his whole game will come to the following conclusion: He's not in a sophomore slump, but rather a one-trick pony who's now been sussed out by the rest of the league and has not been able to adapt, because his game is lacking on so many other fronts.
I fear you may be correct for all the reasons you point out. If so, Snow jumped way too fast with a 5 year deal and he will be difficult to move.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:17 PM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
Mikko Makela was no goon, far from it. I think you may be referring to Mats Hallin, who got into some fights.

I personally don't see much in common between Grabner and Makela except they both are Europeans. Makela was a great skater, too, but not as fast as Grabner. Makela was not overly physical, but he was much more physical than Grabner...he actually worked the corners (not in a Tonelli-like way, but he'd dig the puck out). Also, Makela had multiple good years...from 16 goals to 24 goals to 36 goals. I thought he was trending up, and then he fell off and never regained that form. That COULD be the only thing they have in common and maybe that is what you were referring to, but we won't know that for years.
Yup, I was thinking of Mats Hallin, who was actually Swedish and played tough. Good call.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:31 PM
OlTimeHockey

two more solid forwards in the lineup and Grabner gets more room. Right now, THIS season, Tavares is hemmed in like a ragdoll, Nielson doesn't take any checks away from Grabs and no one else draws attention so everyone's ready for Grabner - and hitting him.

Talent infused makes the game easier to play for everyone.

Snow getting this? I doubt it.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote