HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miko Makela vs. Michael Grabner

Old
03-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
two more solid forwards in the lineup and Grabner gets more room. Right now, THIS season, Tavares is hemmed in like a ragdoll, Nielson doesn't take any checks away from Grabs and no one else draws attention so everyone's ready for Grabner - and hitting him.

Talent infused makes the game easier to play for everyone.

Snow getting this? I doubt it.
Good point!

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:02 PM
kmo429

How about you calm down and realize Grabs is still very young and was a rookie last year. Have yoi heard fo a sophomore slump? Well they exist, theyre very common actually.

Even if last year turns out to be a total fluke. Ill take 15-20 goals fro Grabner to go alogn with solid PKing at just 3 million a year.

People are so dumb> Trade Grabner this summer? Yeah trade him when his value is at the lowest its been ever teally. Makes a ton fo sense

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:44 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Good point!
See? Billy Idol gets it.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
How about you calm down and realize Grabs is still very young and was a rookie last year. Have yoi heard fo a sophomore slump? Well they exist, theyre very common actually.

Even if last year turns out to be a total fluke. Ill take 15-20 goals fro Grabner to go alogn with solid PKing at just 3 million a year.

People are so dumb> Trade Grabner this summer? Yeah trade him when his value is at the lowest its been ever teally. Makes a ton fo sense
His value is at its lowest?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
See? Billy Idol gets it.
Billy Idol?

I do actually sing a bit like him...

But I'd wager that you're making that reference because of my somewhat unreserved "I'm-disappointed-with-Snow" rebel yells of late, eh?

Old
03-13-2012, 10:04 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Grabner is simply not NHL-efficient in many departments and is a wasted roster space if he's not getting 2 or 3 breakaways per game.

Alas, I fear anyone who anaylzes his whole game will come to the following conclusion: He's not in a sophomore slump, but rather a one-trick pony who's now been sussed out by the rest of the league and has not been able to adapt, because his game is lacking on so many other fronts.
agree with this.

Not to say that he cannot improve. I think he has a good attitude and is willing to work hard - I believe he needs a strong coach, a teacher, someone who can help him get the most out of his raw tools.

As is, he's simply far too ineffective, bordering on Tambellini-like invisibility. A winning team cannot afford this player on their roster. On the NYI, he's given a long leash because there simply aren't any viable options.

Let's face it, there have been a lot of flashy Grabner-type NHLers in the past (Afinogenov comes to mind, Prucha, Kotalik) that put up great numbers in spurts, but are unable to adjust their game to be effective all-around players. MOST fade away. Some can adjust and have nice careers.

I'm not convinced Grabner is one or the other just yet.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:51 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Billy Idol?

I do actually sing a bit like him...

But I'd wager that you're making that reference because of my somewhat unreserved "I'm-disappointed-with-Snow" rebel yells of late, eh?

Great flick....one of his last.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:26 AM
kasper11

I'm wondering what is going on with Grabner this year. He hasn't been great all year, but in mid-late January he had 14 goals in 43 games, a pace for 26-27 goals. He was also getting 2.5-3 shots a game, a respectable number. In other words, he wasn't as great as last year, but he was contributing.

Since then, 1 goal in 22 games. Just 32 shots on goal during that stretch. He has completely fallen apart. Is he still having problems with his leg? Is it confidence?

This goes beyond the players he is with...Nielsen, Okposo, Bailey have all managed to contribute something during that stretch. Something is just not right with Grabner right now. Snow needs to figure out what it is, whether he needs rest, a psychologist, whatever.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I'm wondering what is going on with Grabner this year. He hasn't been great all year, but in mid-late January he had 14 goals in 43 games, a pace for 26-27 goals. He was also getting 2.5-3 shots a game, a respectable number. In other words, he wasn't as great as last year, but he was contributing.

Since then, 1 goal in 22 games. Just 32 shots on goal during that stretch. He has completely fallen apart. Is he still having problems with his leg? Is it confidence?

This goes beyond the players he is with...Nielsen, Okposo, Bailey have all managed to contribute something during that stretch. Something is just not right with Grabner right now. Snow needs to figure out what it is, whether he needs rest, a psychologist, whatever.
The man has realized how incredibly limited he is.

This has led to a MAJOR lack of confidence.

His being this impotent in light of the general incompleteness of his game has had a huge contribution in deciding where the team is at this point.

Chances are very good that we have 6-8 more points if he's got 25 goals at this point.

Old
03-15-2012, 04:57 PM
luki here

Quote:
Chances are very good that we have 6-8 more points if he's got 25 goals at this point.
its worse than that. He was the teams top goal scorer in basically half a season last year. I expected him to score more than 25 goals and to say the truth he had chances for more than 25 goals...

Thats why it so dissapointing, regardless of whether he was or is an incomplete player.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:51 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
its worse than that. He was the teams top goal scorer in basically half a season last year. I expected him to score more than 25 goals and to say the truth he had chances for more than 25 goals...

Thats why it so dissapointing, regardless of whether he was or is an incomplete player.
good post.

We all knew Grabner was an incomplete player last year as well....but it's somewhat forgivable if you score 35-40 goals. He was generating a huge amount of offense last year, creating chances for himself, he and Nielsen were unstoppable at times, even short-handed. And his defense wasn't as much of an issue since he was so effective with the puck (and with the puck on Nielsen's stick for that matter)

But this year he's regressed significantly in every way. He's had some chances this year, not as much as last year but enough to expect more than 15 goals.

Trouble is that he's been INVISIBLE for a long time. I don't even notice him on the ice at all. His flaws show way more when he isn't scoring.

No point having a one-dimensional player if he's not good at that only dimension. In a sense, Matt Martin makes far more sense than Grabner. Martin will always be big, tough and play physical, win battles, fight.

One of the reasons why it's always a safe bet to draft players with size and a great work ethic. You add great hands and you have Nino Niederreiter....still a great prospect...still very raw.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
good post.

We all knew Grabner was an incomplete player last year as well....but it's somewhat forgivable if you score 35-40 goals. He was generating a huge amount of offense last year, creating chances for himself, he and Nielsen were unstoppable at times, even short-handed. And his defense wasn't as much of an issue since he was so effective with the puck (and with the puck on Nielsen's stick for that matter)

But this year he's regressed significantly in every way. He's had some chances this year, not as much as last year but enough to expect more than 15 goals.

Trouble is that he's been INVISIBLE for a long time. I don't even notice him on the ice at all. His flaws show way more when he isn't scoring.

No point having a one-dimensional player if he's not good at that only dimension. In a sense, Matt Martin makes far more sense than Grabner. Martin will always be big, tough and play physical, win battles, fight.

One of the reasons why it's always a safe bet to draft players with size and a great work ethic. You add great hands and you have Nino Niederreiter....still a great prospect...still very raw.
... still really sucks!

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote