HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014-15 Around the League IV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2015, 09:50 AM
  #1
g00n
Moderator
*le sigh*
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,442
vCash: 500
2014-15 Around the League IV

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1872545

Continue...

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 10:03 AM
  #2
Blades of Steel
log off.
 
Blades of Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,042
vCash: 50
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wh...-we-rank-them/


Alex Prewitt @alex_prewitt
Assuming no Green for next season, what are your 3v3 OT trios for the Caps? This had 8-19-74 ranked 3rd in the NHL. http://t.co/Hbj2otZkHp

Blades of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 10:42 AM
  #3
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,392
vCash: 500
It wouldn't surprise me if Schmidt ends up our best 3-on-3 defenseman. His skating is the best on our backend.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 11:31 AM
  #4
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,056
vCash: 500
would not be shocked to see 19-44-74 as a checking group with 8-92-2 as the attack pack. then 65-90-27.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 11:37 AM
  #5
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
would not be shocked to see 19-44-74 as a checking group with 8-92-2 as the attack pack. then 65-90-27.
Yeah I think I like the idea of Ovi with Kuz in that situation more than 19.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 11:51 AM
  #6
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,678
vCash: 500
Hate 3 on 3 OTs... I doubt any NHL player has ever practiced playing 3 on 3.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 02:36 PM
  #7
trick9
Moderator
 
trick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,176
vCash: 1473
Obviously it's different now but before last season, when Orlov was healthy, he was absolutely dominant at times on 4-on-4 situations. I think if he ever gets fully healthy then he's definitely worth a shot in those 3-on-3 situations.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 05:10 PM
  #8
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,941
vCash: 500
I honestly believe they'll be more 2 d-man 1 forward attacks for 3 on 3 that people think. That's the way it worked out when I played junior hockey.

Also i think Orlov would be really solid in that format

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 05:11 PM
  #9
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Hate 3 on 3 OTs... I doubt any NHL player has ever practiced playing 3 on 3.
Growing up at the ODR 3 on 3 is probably the most popular way, most players have played a decent amount of it

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 08:14 PM
  #10
g00n
Moderator
*le sigh*
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,442
vCash: 500
Price wins the Hart. Ovechkin robbed. Lame.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 08:22 PM
  #11
usiel
Registered User
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,237
vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Price wins the Hart. Ovechkin robbed. Lame.
Meh.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 08:54 PM
  #12
KevinM
Registered User
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: D.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
I think you could have made a strong case for either player to be honest.

KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 09:02 PM
  #13
g00n
Moderator
*le sigh*
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I think you could have made a strong case for either player to be honest.
They were considered neck and neck going into the final game of the regular season. Ovechkin scored his 51st and 52nd goals and led the team in hits as 1st star of the night in a 5-4 win against Montreal AT Montreal with Price in net. Price made 15 saves on 19 shots for a .790 save%.

At the time it was considered the tiebreaker of sorts, but I guess everyone forgot about it.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 09:14 PM
  #14
Capitlols
Historic Chokers
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,458
vCash: 500
Maybe I shouldn't be, but I was surprised Karlsson won the Norris.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 09:15 PM
  #15
KevinM
Registered User
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: D.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
They were considered neck and neck going into the final game of the regular season. Ovechkin scored his 51st and 52nd goals and led the team in hits as 1st star of the night in a 5-4 win against Montreal AT Montreal with Price in net. Price made 15 saves on 19 shots for a .790 save%.

At the time it was considered the tiebreaker of sorts, but I guess everyone forgot about it.
On the other hand if you ignore the recency effect bias in that last game and look at the entire season as a whole Price had one of the best seasons a goaltender has ever had in the history of the league. Ovi had a phenomenal season no doubt and maintained his reputations as a consistent, dominant 50+ goalscorer while adding more defensive play to his game than we've seen recently but I don't think we can realistically be upset that they voted in favor of Price either because his season was just that insanely good. Still a bit bummed he only came away with the Rocket Richard but what can you do.

KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 09:17 PM
  #16
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,987
vCash: 500
Ovechkin only had 81 points, he didn't deserve the Hart or Lindsay.

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 09:32 PM
  #17
19Backstrom
Cup or bust
 
19Backstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,116
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
They were considered neck and neck going into the final game of the regular season. Ovechkin scored his 51st and 52nd goals and led the team in hits as 1st star of the night in a 5-4 win against Montreal AT Montreal with Price in net. Price made 15 saves on 19 shots for a .790 save%.

At the time it was considered the tiebreaker of sorts, but I guess everyone forgot about it.
Don't be upset about it. Ovi won those awards 3 times already, Price had no trophies before today.
I would've liked to see Ovi take the Lindsay but it doesn't matter anyway, those meaningless awards won't get us any closer to the Cup.

We already know Ovi is a legend, we don't need another MVP title to remind us that he's the best.

19Backstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2015, 11:31 PM
  #18
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
They were considered neck and neck going into the final game of the regular season. Ovechkin scored his 51st and 52nd goals and led the team in hits as 1st star of the night in a 5-4 win against Montreal AT Montreal with Price in net. Price made 15 saves on 19 shots for a .790 save%.

At the time it was considered the tiebreaker of sorts, but I guess everyone forgot about it.
I think it was already decided....

Price was amazing. Ovy was Ovy, same ole dominant top 3 world class player.....yawn ho hum.

Honestly the only hardware we should care about is The Cup and the Conn Smythe...I didn't think he did enough this year. Happy for the Richard though.

I'm kinda stoked to see Kuzy start the season as 1C with the top line assuming Nicky isn't healthy to start.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2015, 02:56 AM
  #19
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust
 
Raikkonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Russia
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
He (AO) should use it as motivation. Just get around 100 points next season and hardware is yours.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2015, 04:36 AM
  #20
g00n
Moderator
*le sigh*
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
On the other hand if you ignore the recency effect bias in that last game and look at the entire season as a whole Price had one of the best seasons a goaltender has ever had in the history of the league. Ovi had a phenomenal season no doubt and maintained his reputations as a consistent, dominant 50+ goalscorer while adding more defensive play to his game than we've seen recently but I don't think we can realistically be upset that they voted in favor of Price either because his season was just that insanely good. Still a bit bummed he only came away with the Rocket Richard but what can you do.
It's not recency. Like I said, it was widely thought that they were neck and neck at the time of that game. The pregame hype included talk about the battle for the Hart.

Price had a .933 save%. Holtby, who finished 4th, had .923, which is very close. Both had 9 shutouts. Both teams had 9 players with double digit goals. Despite the talk about Price being the entire Habs team, they had four players over 20 goals and Patch almost hit 40. Ovechkin's 53 was more than double the next closest Capital.

Yet Holtby finished 4th in the Vezina, and Ovechkin 2nd in the Hart. I don't buy it. You put in a different goaltender with a .923 save % on that Montreal team and they're still in the playoffs. If you take out Ovechkin and swap him with Montreal's top scorer the Capitals miss the postseason.

Price had a great season but he was not the most valuable player to his team or in the league, imo.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2015, 06:25 AM
  #21
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,848
vCash: 500
Ovie just wants the Cup.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2015, 06:50 AM
  #22
Mckinnon9
Registered User
 
Mckinnon9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
It's not recency. Like I said, it was widely thought that they were neck and neck at the time of that game. The pregame hype included talk about the battle for the Hart.

Price had a .933 save%. Holtby, who finished 4th, had .923, which is very close. Both had 9 shutouts. Both teams had 9 players with double digit goals. Despite the talk about Price being the entire Habs team, they had four players over 20 goals and Patch almost hit 40. Ovechkin's 53 was more than double the next closest Capital.

Yet Holtby finished 4th in the Vezina, and Ovechkin 2nd in the Hart. I don't buy it. You put in a different goaltender with a .923 save % on that Montreal team and they're still in the playoffs. If you take out Ovechkin and swap him with Montreal's top scorer the Capitals miss the postseason.

Price had a great season but he was not the most valuable player to his team or in the league, imo.
Most valuable player to his team? Yes. The Montreal are a bubble playoff team at best without him

Most valuable player in the league? No.

The numbers OV put up during a season where the league average in goals was at an all time low (or close to the lowest). That last game you were talking about when they were battling it out, Elliott Friedman did a real good segment on both of them and OV's production relative to league wide goals per game average and it was really impressive how OV compared. Price also had a historic year, but I'd be willing to bet that if all 29 other team's coaches and players were asked who they would take given the option, we all know who they would take.

Mckinnon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2015, 07:04 AM
  #23
g00n
Moderator
*le sigh*
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckinnon9 View Post
Most valuable player to his team? Yes. The Montreal are a bubble playoff team at best without him

Most valuable player in the league? No.

The numbers OV put up during a season where the league average in goals was at an all time low (or close to the lowest). That last game you were talking about when they were battling it out, Elliott Friedman did a real good segment on both of them and OV's production relative to league wide goals per game average and it was really impressive how OV compared. Price also had a historic year, but I'd be willing to bet that if all 29 other team's coaches and players were asked who they would take given the option, we all know who they would take.
I typed that last summary sentence on the way out the door and I meant in the context of comparing value to team vs other players' value to team, as explained in the previous paragraphs. Of course Price was the MVP of his team but the Hart is supposedly which of those team MVPs means the most to his team. To me there is a bigger gulf from team MVP to the rest of the squad for Washington compared Montreal.

If Price were on the Caps instead of Holtby, is there much difference? Is Ovie still the team MVP?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2015, 07:41 AM
  #24
Mckinnon9
Registered User
 
Mckinnon9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I typed that last summary sentence on the way out the door and I meant in the context of comparing value to team vs other players' value to team, as explained in the previous paragraphs. Of course Price was the MVP of his team but the Hart is supposedly which of those team MVPs means the most to his team. To me there is a bigger gulf from team MVP to the rest of the squad for Washington compared Montreal.

If Price were on the Caps instead of Holtby, is there much difference? Is Ovie still the team MVP?
Well at that point if Price was with us, it would be very difficult. Because like you said, would it cause voters to suggest Price had such good numbers because the overall team of Washington is better then Montreal? Compared to Price taking on a huge workload with a team that struggles to score. OV hit a lot of posts this year. If he had of dinked the iron in the right direction 7 of those times, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Price wins because the story of Goalie has historic season on low scoring bubble team sounds better. Compared to OV being typical OV and getting high production when scoring is at a premium. Price has developed into a great goalie, but never played that good before.

Again, the NHL world would explode if a 53G, 81 pt forward won the trophy over a Goalie who had a historic season. Popularity vote. Same as the All Star game BS where one player from every team is there. Example, Nugent-
Hopkins beating Backstrom there...

Mckinnon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2015, 09:09 AM
  #25
hockeykicker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7,079
vCash: 500
Schedule released. Four home games to start then off to western Canada. West coast swing to la sj and Anaheim is Mid March and end against isles pens and blues

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.