HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Recent Troubles

Old
03-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
People can think I'm nuts, but I'm actually glad the guys are in this slump right now. I say "right now" because the have been so consistent they really haven't had to face much adversity this season.

Image the first slump happen come playoff time?

This gives them a change to work through this as a team and enter the playoffs back on a fresh winning streak entering the playoffs.

If they can't get by this..... well then, they obviously are not final 4 ready yet.

If they get past this..... they will enter the playoffs on a roll, and when this team gets on a roll, few, if any, can beat them.
Well said.

Too many knee-jerk reactions on here. Every day theres a new thread whining about what our problem is, what we should've done, who we should call up in favor of who. We're in first place. We lost two games to good teams where we didn't play very well. It happens. We've lost 18 times in regulation. I don't think any of us thought that would be the reality this far into the season.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I would say about half the posters didn't want to trade any of the cute and cuddly prospects for scoring or other needs. I forget who all held those opinions (and I am not saying you did at all, ken, as I have no idea where you stood), but everyone that did needs to live with this and realize that it was a terrible decision to not add anything to this team besides Scott.
Yep...totally agreed...most of us were screaming that this team desperately needed help, and, like most of us said, this team just doesn't have the firepower for the playoffs. Rangers are built on hardwork. They outwork teams on nights they win. That's damn near impossible to do in the playoffs as everyone works hard and they have the talent we can't match

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would say about half the posters didn't want to trade any of the cute and cuddly prospects for scoring or other needs. I forget who all held those opinions (and I am not saying you did at all, ken, as I have no idea where you stood), but everyone that did needs to live with this and realize that it was a terrible decision to not add anything to this team besides Scott.
Where I stood was likely where you stood. I was in favor of adding Nash but at a fair price and not a gross overpayment. By overpayment, I wasn't worried about his cap hit, I was worried about mortgaging the future.

Selanne would have been ideal in my opinion but the Ducks foolishly remained pat instead of becoming sellers.

For this season, I did, and still do believe there is something special to this team, but I kind of was scared that we might have felt a huge let down at some point during this last month. We look fatigued, our swagger and confidence is gone, and people don't understand that we just don't have enough talent to be burying the puck in the net consistently.

So with this looming problem there were only 3 options to keep this team successful. Infuse a bonafide scorer boosting the confidence of the team (option is gone since the deadline has gone). Infuse a prospect with fresher legs who can specifically energize the public and team (Kreider. He's not the sniper we need, but who knows what an energized Rangers team will accomplish). Or stand pat, hope Brad Richards comes around and actually produces, and hope the scrubbish players we're playing on our bottom 2 lines somehow find a way to pick up the scoring.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Kreider on this team this year because I think he'll be our offensive savior. People will be disappointed to find out he's not the next Malkin, although the way he's being hyped people can be led to believe we have the 2nd coming of Lemieux. I'm more in favor of adding him because first and foremost he'll add energy. His speed alone will just blow minds.

More likely than not though, we're gonna have to settle that we're gonna lose at some point during the playoffs. And, that's not necessarily a bad thing. This Rangers group is young, it'll help them for next year. But that scoring need has to be addressed in the offseason. Kreider's not the solution even if he's on the roster next year. If Nash's price goes to reasonable I would inquire about him. If not, I would heavily pursue a trade for Bobby Ryan as I do think the Ducks will trade then. As for Parise, I've believed we've had a legitimate shot to land him for the last 2 seasons, but my gut feeling has changed from a few seasons ago. The Devils are exciting again, I wouldn't be surprised to see him resign there. So for right now, i'll cross him off our list. I'll cross Nash off our list too. But I do believe Bobby Ryan is a realistic solution. Have Ryan play with Richards cause he needs another sniper. Have Kreider play with Gaborik because he fits the grinding role on that line a lot better than Anisimov (while also maintaining the same goal potential). Shift Anisimov down to 3rd line center with Hagelin and another player (whether it be a FA signing like Whitney/Doan or a prospect like Thomas/Miller although I don't know if either is ready for a spot). Have 1, and only 1 line for grinding (as it should be), of Rupp, Boyle, and Prust.

*I'm assuming we trade Dubinsky for Ryan* edit, as part of a larger package.. not straight up

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Leetch66

Definitely agree on upping the ice time of Dubi , AA , Hags and we will see just what they can handle before the playoffs start . Guys like Feds and Rupp are on the last legs and we would be better off with kids in those spots who would at least have fresh legs and energy .

We should have grabbed Darryl Boyce from the Leafs for nothing virtually and his speed alone on a 4th line would have helped a bit by putting the 5-6 blueline guys on the opposition team on the defensive a bit whereas the current dinosaurs on our 4th usually are on the defensive in our end having Hank save the farm . Speed kills...it certainly works for the Penguins . Rangers have to add 2-3 new guys that have wheels and can check for the bottom 6 and they do not have to score many goals...although with enough speed they will garner more than what we get out of Rupp/Scott/Feds .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
We are going to add one of Ryan, Nash or Parise this offseason. I think that much is settled. I would prefer Parise just because he'd be free. But if he re-ups with the Lil Debbies, I think Nash may be more realistic than Ryan.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:22 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Besides giving up the house for Nash, what scorers were available?

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Besides giving up the house for Nash, what scorers were available?
Jeff carter

Old
03-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
We are going to add one of Ryan, Nash or Parise this offseason. I think that much is settled. I would prefer Parise just because he'd be free. But if he re-ups with the Lil Debbies, I think Nash may be more realistic than Ryan.
Agreed...next yr I think the rangers become championship faves

Old
03-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Dantes19

Quote:

I think that's a strong possibility. This team currently just doesn't have quite enough offense to get it done in the playoffs, IMO. Plus, playoff history suggests that a team has to have a bit of an ascension through the playoff levels before it wins the Cup.

One more serious scorer puts this team on that level.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Leetch66

Would not shock me if we slip by about 10 points next season unless Hank has another monster season left in him . I do not see Richards getting any better and the health of Gabby is every second year it seems but that is not really the end of the World because if we work in 2-4 new younger faces and add a FA hopefully Parise...we will be better prepared for the playoffs then we are right now with possibly a bit more depth .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Nash is more consistent and explosive than Ryan. I'm afraid their idiot of a GM might actually raise his price this offseason though and thus I view him as a long shot.

Old
03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
haveandare

Quote:
No, no they don't. A poster having an opinion does not equate to that poster having the power to make their opinion a reality. You don't have to "live with" anything because of what you posted on a message board. I could have said keep everyone or I could have said trade the whole team - regardless of which one I supported, the people who actually make the decisions were going to act they way that they had set out to.

We don't make team decisions. Not even a little bit. We don't need to deal with the impact of our opinions as if they are decisions because, again, they aren't.

Also, its a short rough patch in the larger scheme of a tremendous season and people are running around all chicken little. Get a grip.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Somebody posted something about how most recent Cup winners went through a February/March slump. It doesn't only happen to bad teams. I really wish people weren't always so eager to hit the panic button.
We gotta be #1!!!!!1

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:23 PM
SnowblindNYR

I'm not panicking yet after losing 3 straight to tough teams on the road. We lose to the Islanders at home, THEN I'll be very worried. I am concerned about allowing 3 or more goals in 5 consecutive games, that's not Rangers hockey.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
shelaur22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm not panicking yet after losing 3 straight to tough teams on the road. We lose to the Islanders at home, THEN I'll be very worried. I am concerned about allowing 3 or more goals in 5 consecutive games, that's not Rangers hockey.
Is fivehole Biron in the net tomorrow? Do we know yet?

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:01 PM
gump116

I think the problem right now is a lack of depth. The Rangers' goal differential in the third period had been so good until recently because they had more energy than their opponents at the end of games. The fourth line of Mitchell/Scott/Rupp can only play about 5 minutes a game, and the rest of the team is worn out as a result. If you look at the Devils, their third period play improved when they picked up Ponikarovsky and got competent third and fourth lines. The Rangers really should have traded for someone like Boyes to add scoring depth on the third line. I'm not his biggest fan, but for lack of better options, I would call up Zuccarello and try something like this:

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Mitchell-Stepan-Zuccarello
Feds-Boyle-Prust

Four lines that can play. Reunite the pack line as the shutdown line, and make the Boyle line the fourth, as it should be. Stepan can anchor the third line and pick up minutes on special teams. Make Rupp the 13th forward, and play him against bigger teams instead of Mitchell or Zuccarello. Kreider can potentially be inserted on the third line when the BC season is done if he's ready.

Last edited by gump116: 03-10-2012 at 06:14 PM.
gump116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
We gotta be #1!!!!!1
When you get to game 60 with a ****ing 10 point lead over every other team in the East, yeah you're damn ****ing right they should be number 1.

How is that not a reasonable expectation?

If they fall to 4th, so be it, but there's no reason this team could not have held that cushion.

03-10-2012, 11:20 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
I have a theory that you like to make assumptions. I am not one of these doom and gloomers you seem to allude to. The team has just not looked as sharp in the past 3 weeks or so, i would say since the first Chicago blowout. Yes, we did win quite a few games during the early part of this stretch, but I think most of the people who have been watching the games recently have noticed that they just haven't been as crisp as they were earlier in the season.

I think the 2 week home stand will be very good for this team. They will right the ship eventually and will still probably win the 1st seed.
Would agree with everything but the last sentance. Hopefully the home stand can produce rest and practices focusing on the powerplay. Also every team that they will play knows that the rangers like to slap the puck along the boards. Thats why recently every team has a player there waiting for the hard around to intercept.
This team seems to play better when they are not in 1st place. I'd rather see them slide now and drop a little and regroup for the playoffs vs. a 1st round exit.

This team does not have the talent that some of the other teams have and will have to outwork the others to have a chance.
But this has been a nice ride this season that most of us didn't expect!

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Would you rather have Ryan, Nash or Columbus's first round pick (Yakupov)?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Would you rather have Ryan, Nash or Columbus's first round pick (Yakupov)?
Assuming he's #1.... see the hit tonight?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Assuming he's #1.... see the hit tonight?
Heard about it.

Hopefully it's not a concussion.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:22 PM
bubba5

Boy if we go 1-5-1 onthis home stand I will be curious about what people will be thinking then

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:26 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

this is seriously looking awful ...

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
this is seriously looking awful ...
Hopefully a shake up was all that was needed and this helps them get back to the confidence level they need to be at.