HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Bloomington Native Tom Gilbert" 13 years ago...

Old
03-09-2012, 01:23 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
"Bloomington Native Tom Gilbert" 13 years ago...

Wow, 13 years ago.. Crazy to think about. haha Anyway, I think I mentioned it when we traded for him but I went to High School with Tommy G. Well last night when I was watching the Wild game I decided to bust out my old year book from Junior year.. I had my phone next to me so I decided to share...

These are from my Jefferson Yearbook in 1999:

The good old standard yearbook photo:

The "What do you remember most about this last season" question:

And what trip down memory lane would be complete with out the old choir photo!?:

Mods, feel free to move this thread to somewhere else.. I was debating putting it on the Gilbert for Shultz thread but I figured it could be moved later..

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:28 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i guess a mullet pic was too much to hope for BNTG.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:28 PM
OpRedDawn*

awesome

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
se7en
infamous...

oops I forgot one other one:

Team Pic:

Old
03-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Can we trade him to another non-playoff team for abag of pucks?

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
I think he just needs time to fit in better. Besides the teams been more or less shell shocked ever since he arrived.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:53 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
BNTG is awesome, he played 33 ****ing minutes last night and was a plus player, give him time to get used to his teammates

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Yep, trade our best defenseman for Gilbert, then trade Gilbert for a bag of pucks. Makes sense.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
That's awesome.

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:10 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Yep, trade our best defenseman for Gilbert, then trade Gilbert for a bag of pucks. Makes sense.
we didn't trade spurgeon scandella or brodin, did i miss something?

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Do you remember how he was at all? Would be interesting to know :F

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Dampland

Sorry, but until I see something impressive from Gilbert (which I have never seen in dozens of Wild/Oilers games, plus his recent games as a Wild) He will continue to be my scapegoat/whipping boy.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
we didn't trade spurgeon scandella or brodin, did i miss something?
If you abandon the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, Schultz was this franchises most consistent, loyal, team-oriented defenseman. Sure, this was a bad year. But who wasn't having a bad year on the Wild?

Quote:
Sorry, but until I see something impressive from Gilbert (which I have never seen in dozens of Wild/Oilers games, plus his recent games as a Wild) He will continue to be my scapegoat/whipping boy.
The same could be said about Foster, Scandella, Falk or Prosser. Take your pick.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I thought he played well against Phoenix....shrug.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:37 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
[QUOTE=Minnesota;45834919]If you abandon the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, Schultz was this franchises most consistent, loyal, team-oriented defenseman. Sure, this was a bad year. But who wasn't having a bad year on the Wild?QUOTE]

I didn't like the trade because of those reasons. But, I'm thinking Fletcher is sending a message to the team that complacency will not be tolerated .. and lets face it Schultz was getting mighty complacent. I blame Nick for this because he could have performed better in my opinion. I bet he plays better in Edmonton now that het got a big kick in the a**s.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
I thought he played well against Phoenix....shrug.
Played well? He played great against Phoenix, and that's before you factor in that he played over 30 minutes.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Dampland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
If you abandon the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, Schultz was this franchises most consistent, loyal, team-oriented defenseman. Sure, this was a bad year. But who wasn't having a bad year on the Wild?

The same could be said about Foster, Scandella, Falk or Prosser. Take your pick.

Don't try to bring logic into this.

Boo Gilbert Boo!

Old
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Not a Gilbert fan and still not sold that it was a good trade but he's been our best D. First night he sucked but has gotten steadily better since. To be expected as he's new here.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
My dad has an old parish directory with family photos that, if I could find it, I could post a pic of the Janaczak family, featuring Jim Craig's back-up Steve Janaczak of the Miracle on Ice generation.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:34 AM
651*

And to think I always was under the impression Bloomington Jeff had incredibly hot chicks...

Cool photos though. Can't believe how wretched our haircuts were back then (yes, I was in HS at that time as well).

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:29 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
Do you remember how he was at all? Would be interesting to know :F
I honestly dont remember all that much... Sadly I don't remember all that much about high school in general, it's been too many years..

I do remember playing pick-up with him & a bunch of other guys a couple times at a park called Tarnhill in Bloomington but what I remember most is the ice being terrible there because they put the rinks over the parking lot so the ice got crappy quick. haha

I would be lying if I said I was good friends with him.. We knew each other & we got along but he wasnt in my grade & I really only ran into him occasionally & only skated with him a handful of times. I just remember him being a really nice kid & kind of shy in school.. I also kind of remember watching him play for our High School team but I wasnt focused on just his play or anything. I mean at that time he was just another kid on the team. I do remember once telling him "good goal!" & giving him a high five or a fist bump (whatever we did that was cool in the 90's haha) the day after a game back at school but thats about it..

One of my best friends was better friends with him so I remember hearing all about him getting drafted by the Avs. Oh and also, one of my best buddies that I moved to Cali with, his little brother & Gilbert's little brother went to the U of M together.. I remember when Tommy got his first contract with the Oilers, he bought his little bro a huge 50" flat screen for his dorm & the center ice package! (btw, back in 2005 or whatever a 50" flatscreen was a really awesome present. haha well it still is, but back then they cost twice as much!)

But sadly thats about all I remember.. I'm sure Im forgetting some times & I bet I played hockey with him more than I remember because we used to play pick-up all the time. I just only remember playing with him at Tarnhill Park for some reason... I'll call my one buddy that knew him better soon & see if I can get my memory jogged!

Old
03-12-2012, 06:31 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
And to think I always was under the impression Bloomington Jeff had incredibly hot chicks...

Cool photos though. Can't believe how wretched our haircuts were back then (yes, I was in HS at that time as well).
hahaha we had our share of good looking girls. It would just appear that none of them were Sophmores that year with last names that started with "G".

Old
03-14-2012, 08:23 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Gilbert is quality. He can play in all situations and log a lot of minutes. I know you guys will warm up to him, even if its not until next season.

Shultz has been decent for us so far, playing well defensively and also has 4 assists in 7 games with a +1 to boot

Gilbert has 1 assist in 8 games with a -2. Since his injury earlier this season he hasnt been quite the same and no doubt hes adjusting to Minnys system. I think hell come in next season and change some of your minds.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:27 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Gilbert is quality. He can play in all situations and log a lot of minutes. I know you guys will warm up to him, even if its not until next season.

Shultz has been decent for us so far, playing well defensively and also has 4 assists in 7 games with a +1 to boot

Gilbert has 1 assist in 8 games with a -2. Since his injury earlier this season he hasnt been quite the same and no doubt hes adjusting to Minnys system. I think hell come in next season and change some of your minds.
Gilbert's definitely looked better the last few games. If we had a half-way decent rest of the team and a healthy top-6 he'd be putting up some points. Not great in the D zone obviously but he's been looking good in the O-zone/working the puck up ice IMO.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post

Depends which Gilbert you get. His contract year he was good with lots of potential. We signed him for too much money and the next few years he was without doubt the Oilers worst D-man. By far. Bar none. Scream in terror every time he touched the puck omfg bad. He could single handedly lose games for you regularly. This year before he got injured he looked really good. Worked with a shot coach over summer, came into camp in great shape. Was looking like he would finaly be worth his contract. From the time he came back from injury to when he was traded tho... looked much more like the bad Gilbert then the good.

Everything I have heard and seen about Shultz says the Oilers more than likely won this trade by a landslide. Steady reliable D-man. But if the good Gilbert shows up and sticks around... Minny will win in the end.

It's funny how there were alot of Gilbert fan boys who are quick to point out his strengths but can completley ignore multiple YEARS of being the worst d-man on the worst team in the NHL. The most common excuse is that Gilbert was pushed into the top pairing role too often and that playing against the oppositions top players makes it unreasonable to expect him to do well... Weak reasoning in my mind.

With Minny and the Oil doing so poorly I hope it works out for both teams.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote